Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830677 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #5835 on: April 16, 2016, 04:45:50 am »

Would be funny if the bombs dropped while Vendayn was gussying up :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: April 16, 2016, 07:30:11 am »

So how many dlcs bethesda is going to make?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: April 16, 2016, 09:48:08 am »

So how many dlcs bethesda is going to make?

Worthwhile DLC's? Or all DLC's?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: April 16, 2016, 05:41:07 pm »

One thing that seems weird...

I sided with Institute. Went to fight a ton of Brotherhood of Steel. And two things...

One, they shout something about me being a heathen of god or something along that lines. They shouted like they belonged in Warhammer. But also it seems Bethesda has turned BoS into a bunch of technology hoarding crusaders...and nowhere in Fallout lore as far as I know are BoS a bunch of religious crusaders fighting in the name of "God". Is there anything in lore about that, that is NOT from Bethesda? It sounded like I'd hear it from the guys in Warhammer lol...it didn't sound like it fit Fallout BoS...AT ALL

Next...

When I went to fight in the initial introduction to Institute. There was a huge battle between Synths, Railroad and BoS. And...everyone was friendly to me. I literally just walked along the battle scene, ignoring everything and won the mission by not doing anything.

And then you literally get pop ups saying "Are you SURE you want to do this? This will make the brotherhood of steel hate you!"...I never played a Bethesda game with lame pop ups like that lol. Every other game I do what I want

That I think is my biggest issue with Fallout 4, is there is no consequences at all, nothing you do actually matters that much. And bethesda really makes it so you don't make any mistake at all, and gives you huge pop up warnings before hand. That wasn't like that in any other Fallout or Elder Scrolls game I played.

Overall though, I am still having a ton of fun in Fallout 4. But, there is definitely things that are terrible about it lol. Mostly I think I love the vastly more stable and performance friendly engine. Its vastly better than Skyrim's engine. Plus the mods out help quite a bit, even without advanced modding capabilities.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: April 16, 2016, 05:43:25 pm »

The Brotherhood yelling crusades shit is because Elder Asshole (oh, sorry, Maxson) thought Elder Lyons was a dumbass and that his ideals and whatnot were stupid, so he changed them.
Everything else I don't really have an opinion on so I ignore it.
Black lives matter.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: April 16, 2016, 08:46:55 pm »

I'm not sure what 'thesda was thinking with the current iteration of the BoS frankly, on the one hand most of the players interaction with Danse and the majority of the brothers feels fairly normal, but all of the 'ad victoriam' and spehss muhreen stuff just feels insanely out of place and really forced.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: April 16, 2016, 10:55:40 pm »

I thought the Brotherhood seemed too tame and friendly in this Fallout. In previous ones they were fascist dicks, and in Fallout 1 they sent countless people to their deaths on a mission they didn't expect anyone to return from, and after completing the impossible mission, people are upset that an "outsider" was allowed to join. In Fallout 2 I don't even think you can join them, they just use you to get the vertibird plans.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:59:37 pm by Baijiu »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: April 16, 2016, 11:02:37 pm »

they're almost excessively helpful in fallout 1 and 2 lol, except for the whole glow thing

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: April 16, 2016, 11:08:08 pm »

.....Are you forgetting Fallout 3, where their leader actually wants them to be collectors of technology and not racist "kill-all-mutie" crusaders like Maxson?
Black lives matter.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: April 17, 2016, 12:14:48 am »

I dont know, if it is same way in USA,  but from personal experiencr military guys seem to be pretty religious. Might make sense for organization founded bh remnants of army to have strong beliefs.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: April 17, 2016, 12:27:31 am »

Actually the Enclave was founded on the military remnants (that and/or the government, IIRC).
Black lives matter.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: April 17, 2016, 12:30:16 am »

Not kidding when I say that the Brotherhood was founded from a bunch of guys who just sat in a nuke-safe building as the big boom happened.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: April 17, 2016, 01:30:05 am »

I still don't understand why some people think the BoS were always fascists, and others (like me) don't

That I think is my biggest issue with Fallout 4, is there is no consequences at all, nothing you do actually matters that much. And bethesda really makes it so you don't make any mistake at all, and gives you huge pop up warnings before hand. That wasn't like that in any other Fallout or Elder Scrolls game I played.

Overall though, I am still having a ton of fun in Fallout 4. But, there is definitely things that are terrible about it lol. Mostly I think I love the vastly more stable and performance friendly engine. Its vastly better than Skyrim's engine. Plus the mods out help quite a bit, even without advanced modding capabilities.
I agree.  I had a lot of fun with FO4 too, but it's really railroaded.  Unpopular Culture compared it to Far Cry, which is maybe a bit unfair (though I love elements that FO4 and FC share).  But there's much more focus on loot, and the quests are a bit more open.

In other words, it's Borderlands.  Like I predicted as soon as they removed the skill system.

Though sure sure, it's in the Fallout *setting*...
Except the BoS is almost unrecognizable.
The other factions are basically new.
As are the feral ghouls, basically zombies which are suddenly everywhere
Pipe weapons all of a sudden, and energy muskets, and even the classic guns are almost unrecognizable
Power armor is suddenly mobile suits which burn power from *walking*, and have jetpack mounts, instead of being long-term protection for line infantry.

A lot of that makes for cool gameplay, it just really doesn't feel like Fallout to me.  The visual style, neither.  But I could get around those changes, mostly because they make for a interesting shooter.

But not only did they not reference on the events of New Vegas whatsoever that I saw, but they barely reference Fallout 3.  I guess because "nobody" liked FO3, supposedly, but dangit they made it and it took place nearby.  And what do we get?  A Brotherhood that apparently made up with the Outcasts for some reason, and some magazines called the Wasteland Survival Guide.  Which don't look like the freakin Wasteland Survival Guide.

Compare to Fallout 2 where people still talked about the Vault Dweller's exploits a couple generations later.  Establishing the canon choices, and the impact that the player character had in Fallout 1.  Which got followed up even farther in New Vegas...  Jeez, New Vegas did a better job referencing Fallout 3 than Fallout 4 did!  So they're snubbing FO3 hard, and I don't really appreciate that!?

All that, and then they give us a choice of two predefined voiced characters with predefined backgrounds...  Removed the karma and faction systems...  And stripped the RPG mechanics to the absolute bare bone.  Borderlands 2 offered more interesting choices than this.  Less perks, but more meaningful ones.  And the guns were wildly more interesting...  And oh wow, this ridiculous mutating "legendary enemy" thing is just painful.  And trying to juggle shoulder and leg slots with this horrible interface!  Yeah, sorry, I'm leaving this thing unfinished.  I'd rather reinstall Far Cry 4, at least until the creation kit finally rolls out.  Or Skyrim, where they respected the lore.

This is a decent modern shooter with a terrible crafting/building system, an okay perk tree, and the rotting skin of a franchise I cared about.  I feel like an idiot for getting so excited when I saw the Brotherhood in-game.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: April 17, 2016, 01:31:47 am »

I dont know, if it is same way in USA,  but from personal experiencr military guys seem to be pretty religious. Might make sense for organization founded bh remnants of army to have strong beliefs.

Yeah, as an ex-US soldier, no, not really.  Soldiers are about duty, not god, and we'd really prefer if he got the hell off our battlefield.

Also, koss, the BoS is literally descended from members of the US army and some of their families, it goes in to a great deal of detail in Fallout 1 about that.

Bowtie, the Enclave is Poseidon Oil co. an analogy of Standard Oil, and meant to represent the worst remnants of the old world, note that one of their major activities in Fallout 2 is wiping out the BoS to eliminate the people who would recognize them for what they are, the greedy bastards who got the world nuked in the first place, hell the oil rig you have to destroy is the very reason the war happened.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 01:37:21 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: April 17, 2016, 03:15:24 am »

BoS are the descendants of the remnants of the U.S. military. The Enclave are the federal government/conspiracy group.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 462