Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830415 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #5820 on: April 14, 2016, 03:13:37 pm »

I wish console was allowed in survival. I just had a quest bug out and the shitty save system set me back far enough that it's killed my desire to play FO4 again. Something tells me I will never finish this game, and I'm not too torn up about that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: April 14, 2016, 03:59:53 pm »

Which is why I will never play a setting that disallows me from saving in a Bethesda game.
Love, scriver~

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: April 14, 2016, 04:04:28 pm »

Yyyeeah, I like Immersion and Survival mechanics, but saving is very important in an open-world RPG. What if I couldn't quicksave!? What then, F5 key? WHAT THEN!? D:
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: April 14, 2016, 05:59:53 pm »

In Bethesda RPGs specifically, as scriver noted. If I couldn't freely save in them, I wouldn't play them--they're too buggy and unreliable to trust without any control of my own. The autosaves aren't good, either.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: April 14, 2016, 06:25:25 pm »

Yeah, the engine is notoriously prone to corruption, even after the switch from gamebryo to the in-house gamebryo clone (that, admittedly, is more stable (not that this means much)).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: April 14, 2016, 06:30:33 pm »

I also installed a mod that allows me to save in survival mode
GIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMME

DAMIAC, GIMME!! :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: April 14, 2016, 11:49:11 pm »

Dunno why people are making a big deal about the engine, still see various forums of people complaining its old. But, because Fallout 4 was made in 64bit and not 32bit (pretty sure this is why)...but Fallout 4 is so much more stable and way better performance than I ever got in Skyrim. In Skyrim, it would stutter a lot as it loaded in new areas/assets even on a 100% vanilla game. Modded Skyrim always performed way worse as well, especially with ENB attached. However, even my pretty heavily modded Fallout 4 with an intensive ENB performs WAY better than Skyrim did with mods+ENB and Fallout 4 doesn't even have stability mods out. Even using an ENB in Fallout 4, I still get great FPS, no stutters or anything. And even with explosions and some bigger battles (compared to Skyrim), I still don't get stutters or much frame drops either. I can spawn in 30 enemies in Skyrim, and performance drops so much (even on a 100% vanilla game). I do the same in Fallout 4, even as explosions and gun fire and everything is going off...and performance is still really great with no or very minimal stutters, and that is even with mods still left on.

I still kinda like Skyrim more as a game, but I'm enjoying the stability and lack of stutters as it loads things in WAY more in Fallout 4. Bethesda really made huge improvements in the engine they use in that regard.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: April 15, 2016, 01:00:30 am »

Honestly if they just fixed settlements to make it less... circulative... I'd probably get right back into it.

Which is saying something.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: April 15, 2016, 03:16:29 am »

I keep catching fatigue and lethargy, I believe it's because once the game says you're tired, you damn well better get to bed. However I've hoarded up a pile of nuka cola, So I'll see if caffine stops me from using all my antibiotics on sleep deprivation related illness.
I'm currently set up pretty well in starlight drive in, it's my first decent fully fenced off settlement and everything I have is being spent on concrete shipments, hopefully I'm not too bad at cyclopean brutalist architecture.
I've had a few frustrating deaths after I let my guard down, but I resist the urge to cheat for easy saving, the tension is immersive.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: April 15, 2016, 07:46:55 am »

I also installed a mod that allows me to save in survival mode
GIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMME

DAMIAC, GIMME!! :P

Hah, OK, grab this mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11542/?

It's a zip file that you extract into your game folder (On my computer, that was at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data)

Next, you have to edit a couple INI files, because this survival beta is a jerk and tries to turn off mods:
Look in this folder(replace (your user name) with... your user name in windows):
C:\Users\(your user name)\Documents\My games\Fallout4
Open Fallout4Custom.ini, and insert these lines at the end
Code: [Select]
[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=
Next, open Fallout4Prefs.ini
Find [Launcher], and insert this line at the end of the section:
Code: [Select]
bEnableFileSelection=1

And that's it. Now you can save in survival mode, although the quick save button still doesn't do anything.  I try to restrict myself to saving only after clearing a location, or before some big event, as saving after every kill does tend to kill the tension, but obviously that's up to you.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: April 15, 2016, 08:24:35 am »

I.... Just wandered into red rocket after a gruelling trek across the wssteland, things didn't seem quite right, wasn't there a wall there? Wait, where did concord go? 
*freeze* BSOD. 
Gimmie the damn mod.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: April 15, 2016, 10:56:21 am »

BSOD usually signals something wrong with your hardware.  Do you get a lot of those?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: April 15, 2016, 11:14:33 am »

BSOD usually signals something wrong with your hardware.  Do you get a lot of those?
Not particularly, I used to find that overheating would reliably cause It, but this laptop doesn't overheat at all.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: April 15, 2016, 11:37:44 am »

snip
Hmm, hope that using Nexus Mod Manager lets you turn it on, because I literally downloaded it because all the steps you just noted weren't working for other mods.

EDIT: Well, good news is that it works. WOOO! Bad news is my OTHER mods don't work with survival. BOOO!
So much as I want to play me some survival, I want to have no level requirements, legendaries of my choice and the ability to ignore their arbitrary decision of what shit can have other things worn over it more.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:53:22 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: April 16, 2016, 03:51:40 am »

Took ages to get a character I liked in Fallout 4...so much easier in Skyrim with all the variety of character mods lol. But I think she came out really good after literally 13 straight hours in the character creator...yeah...

Ariel Auduin (same name as my Skyrim character) :)

http://imgur.com/WvqRIP7
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 462