Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829627 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Gay For Your Own Brain
« Reply #5385 on: February 16, 2016, 09:07:11 am »

The only real problem with the essential tag as it is that they don't remember to remove it from certain NPCs after their quests are done or make it only prevent NPCs from killing them. As is it works fine on the three companions who can die after certain missions, as well as the other NPCs who can die as part of their missions but who might otherwise get killed by random junk (No-Nose Bobbi in the Big Dig for example, is at risk of being killed by mirelurks before you finish the quest, the essential tag stops that but goes away once you reach the end.)

Of course if they let the player kill essential characters we might wind up with that annoying scenario where companions are more of a nuisance than a help to the players that use rapid fire or area affect weapons and often engage in friendly fire.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: February 16, 2016, 09:29:25 am »

Helpfully shooting your party members in the back is a Fallout tradition!
Love, scriver~

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: February 16, 2016, 10:48:59 am »

I quite like not having the merchants that travel between towns killed, but what does annoy me is that the caravan guards are unkillable. Why not just make the merchants essential and instead of having them stick around for the fight, why not have them run away from combat and have the very killable caravan guards do the fighting? They would obviously respawn (and be randomised) if killed.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: February 16, 2016, 11:37:11 am »

This essential talk reminds me of this guy in Oblivion. He'd walk in more or less a circle around Cyrodiil visiting towns as he passed them. There was a quest to assassinate him, but it was perfectly possible to instantly complete it right after getting it because he was killed by some random monster.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: February 16, 2016, 11:47:33 am »

See, I didn't mind it in Oblivion. I kind of liked how somber morrowind treated it, but Oblivion's was rather convenient. But FFFFUCK the way Skyrim does it, having some motherfucker just kneel down and not die. Especially when I'm trying to kill them and my BOUNTY STAYS THERE BECAUSE THEY CAN'T DIE. EUUUUGH.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: February 16, 2016, 11:53:00 am »

Yeah it'd be nice if they went unconscious like in Oblivion, and counted as killed for purposes of witnessing crimes.  Sure they saw you- then you beat them unconscious, it's no wonder they forgot.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: February 16, 2016, 11:56:53 am »

So it seems the first three DLC got announced.

“The mysterious Mechanist has unleashed a horde of evil  robots into the Commonwealth, including the devious Robobrain. Hunt them  down and harvest their parts to build and mod your own custom robot  companions. Choose from hundreds of mods; mixing limbs, armor,  abilities, and weapons like the all-new lightning chain gun. Even  customize their paint schemes and choose their voices!”

“With the Wasteland Workshop, design and set cages to capture live  creatures – from raiders to Deathclaws! Tame them or have them face off  in battle, even against your fellow settlers. The Wasteland Workshop  also includes a suite of new design options for your settlements like  nixi tube lighting, letter kits, taxidermy and more!”
A new case from Valentine’s Detective Agency leads you on a search for a  young woman and a secret colony of synths. Travel off the coast of  Maine to the mysterious island of Far Harbor, where higher levels of  radiation have created a more feral world. Navigate through the growing  conflict between the synths, the Children of Atom, and the local  townspeople. Will you work towards bringing peace to Far Harbor, and at  what cost? Far Harbor features the largest landmass for an add-on that  we’ve ever created, filled with new faction quests, settlements, lethal  creatures and dungeons. Become more powerful with new, higher-level  armor and weapons. The choices are all yours.”

All I can think of is... Wasn't the Mechanist that dude who fought the Antagonizer in 3?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: February 16, 2016, 12:03:27 pm »

First two sound meh, but that last one?  Huh, cool!  And I guess the second introduces a neat mechanic, I'm just not interested.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: February 16, 2016, 12:03:33 pm »

It would appear so.

Personally the only one I'm looking forward to from that lineup is the last one.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: February 16, 2016, 12:08:49 pm »

It would appear so.

Personally the only one I'm looking forward to from that lineup is the last one.
It seems that Bethesda decided to imitate the style of Skyrim's DLCs. A first DLC that adds new items and enemies, but nearly no new areas, a second that is related to housing and a third that contains a new landmass.

Exploring the Children of Atom is a pretty cool thing, though. Probably one of the most interesting parts of FO4.

EDIT: It seems ZebioLizard2 either didn't see it or forgot to mention, but Bethesda wants to make more DLC than those 3. These future, unannounced bits of content will be included in the season pass, that will be getting more expensive... unless you already own it, in which case you don't pay extra. The price change will happen on the 1st of March. Buying it before then guarantees you all content at the current price.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:12:33 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: February 16, 2016, 12:38:48 pm »

Ohoh! The third one sounds like a genuinely fairly interesting bit of content! Because it involves Nick Fucking Valentine and his detective agency. I kind of want Fallout: Detective more than Fallout: Children Of Atom Strike Back.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: February 16, 2016, 01:06:56 pm »

Ohoh! The third one sounds like a genuinely fairly interesting bit of content! Because it involves Nick Fucking Valentine and his detective agency. I kind of want Fallout: Detective more than Fallout: Children Of Atom Strike Back.
I do hope it goes ever so slightly lovecraftian.

Fallout: Dunwich Borers/Building: The DLC basically.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: February 16, 2016, 02:51:36 pm »

If they give robots even half the customizability of weapons I'm gonna cry.
Black lives matter.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: February 16, 2016, 03:16:34 pm »

So it seems the first three DLC got announced.

“The mysterious Mechanist has unleashed a horde of evil  robots into the Commonwealth, including the devious Robobrain. Hunt them  down and harvest their parts to build and mod your own custom robot  companions. Choose from hundreds of mods; mixing limbs, armor,  abilities, and weapons like the all-new lightning chain gun. Even  customize their paint schemes and choose their voices!”

“With the Wasteland Workshop, design and set cages to capture live  creatures – from raiders to Deathclaws! Tame them or have them face off  in battle, even against your fellow settlers. The Wasteland Workshop  also includes a suite of new design options for your settlements like  nixi tube lighting, letter kits, taxidermy and more!”
A new case from Valentine’s Detective Agency leads you on a search for a  young woman and a secret colony of synths. Travel off the coast of  Maine to the mysterious island of Far Harbor, where higher levels of  radiation have created a more feral world. Navigate through the growing  conflict between the synths, the Children of Atom, and the local  townspeople. Will you work towards bringing peace to Far Harbor, and at  what cost? Far Harbor features the largest landmass for an add-on that  we’ve ever created, filled with new faction quests, settlements, lethal  creatures and dungeons. Become more powerful with new, higher-level  armor and weapons. The choices are all yours.”

All I can think of is... Wasn't the Mechanist that dude who fought the Antagonizer in 3?

The first one sounds neat, the second one is lame as fuck because the homemaker mods already expand settlement building more than Beth ever will, and the GECK isnt even out yet. The third sounds fun though, more area to explore.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: February 16, 2016, 03:17:36 pm »

Yeah, but are there any mods that let you have THE THORN in your backyard?
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 462