Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831008 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4515 on: December 07, 2015, 04:54:07 pm »

Which is weird, since unreliable narrators are basically the hallmark of Elder Scrolls writing.

Sort of... They make it really obvious when someone isn't telling the truth or are saying something that likely isn't true.

When they aren't loudly announcing their bias... They are scientifically accurate to the 100th decimal. :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: December 07, 2015, 04:56:53 pm »

Not really. The lorebeards were freaking the hell out over a book describing the "jungles of cyrodiil" as a "transcription error by the heimskrs", but that turned out to be more unreliable narration put forth in-universe as reliable.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: December 07, 2015, 04:59:16 pm »

Speaking of cait, does anyone else find her faux irish accent unbearably annoying while at the same time her backstory quite interesting?
Sad part is, the VA is a Glasgow native, they coulda' just let her speak naturally if they wanted a foreign accent. 'Course, then you might end up with a bunch of idiots whining because they can't comprehend Glaswegian.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: December 07, 2015, 05:02:58 pm »

My verdict on Fallout 4 is going to be basically the same as for Skyrim:

Good mechanics, bad and lazy content
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: December 07, 2015, 05:08:35 pm »

Good mechanics, bad and lazy content

No... I won't let that pass.

modification, settlements, and even to an extent looting... are good "ideas" executed badly. Thus being bad mechanics.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So no :P not good mechanics.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:15:35 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: December 07, 2015, 05:22:56 pm »

I gotta disagree with those points, Neonivek :P

But specifically, I think you're mistaken about the mods?  You don't need skill to attach mods, only to create them.  So if you pull one off another gun (by crafting a basic part, which is... dumb, but arguably balance I *guess*) then you can place it on the weapon you want.

The crafting skills are really just for convenience and expediency.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: December 07, 2015, 05:23:38 pm »

Speaking of cait, does anyone else find her faux irish accent unbearably annoying while at the same time her backstory quite interesting?
If you think about it, it's extremely strange that she has an Irish accent at all. There's been no trans-Atlantic travel for 200 years, or 8 to 10 generations. Somehow, a family line with a strong Irish accent must have survived without any generation being raised by and parent with a non-Irish accent, and nobody lost their accent in adulthood (presumably spent speaking almost exclusively to people with American accents).

QED Cait learned what an Irish accent is from some old holo tapes and is faking it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: December 07, 2015, 05:27:52 pm »

Or an Irish vault!  Or holo tapes, I'm not sure which is funnier.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: December 07, 2015, 05:28:26 pm »

Ohh also for those getting the Life-Giver perk...

Note that... the life regeneration? Yeah... you are never going to notice it.

I was deeply disappointed by it.

I don't know what they were so afraid of giving it a noticeable health regen... It isn't like Stimpacks aren't plentiful even on survival mode.
What the fuck are you talking about? Its EASY to notice, you can literally WATCH it fill up. I mean its not really gonna win you a fight admittedly, but it will make sure you're fresh for the next one.
Compare that to the 1 point per minute regen you get from one of those comic books and holy shit is it fast.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: December 07, 2015, 05:31:45 pm »

Ehh yeah if you stop and watch it, you can see it?  Barely?
I regret taking it though, it's at best a very minor convenience.  Would be most useful at the beginning before you're flooded with healing items, but nope, level requirements...

Though actually the extra health is significant.  I regretted it more before I realized that *most* perks are weaker than they look.  Which is actually kinda good, in that you can't screw your character with bad choices.

(which is pretty casual but meh)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:33:31 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: December 07, 2015, 05:44:19 pm »

I gotta disagree with those points, Neonivek :P

But specifically, I think you're mistaken about the mods?  You don't need skill to attach mods, only to create them.  So if you pull one off another gun (by crafting a basic part, which is... dumb, but arguably balance I *guess*) then you can place it on the weapon you want.

The crafting skills are really just for convenience and expediency.

My issue is more that the modification was supposed to be expansive... but there are so many "the same thing but slightly better"... add onto the fact that many guns have the same modifications but require different skills...

Why does placing a recon scope on one weapon take more skill than another? it is the same recon scope.

I actually think that it makes the weapon variety feel smaller then in previous Fallouts.

So yes you CAN place a 10mm silencer on ANY 10mm... But that same silencer only works on a 10mm even though it is the same silencer that almost all the other weapons use... and when you create them it might be anywhere from 1 to 4 gunnery for no reason other than game mechanics.

In otherwords the problem with modification is that... It is so aggressively game... well one problem at least.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: December 07, 2015, 05:46:51 pm »

Yeah, the system could use more sidegrades instead of "better but costs more  [rare material]"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: December 07, 2015, 05:51:07 pm »

There are a lot of sidegrades, though. Most weapons have three separate mod paths: full-auto close-range, sniper/DMR high-alpha long-range, and crit-centric VATS build. Each of those in turn has 2-3 "tiers" of mod for any given part.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: December 07, 2015, 05:53:02 pm »

Yeah, the system could use more sidegrades instead of "better but costs more  [rare material]"

Even "better but costs more" could be improved if the upgrades were more significant even down that tree.

Yet for a lot of them, you could cut out the middle mods and lose nothing gamewise.

Now Ammo mods actually are kind of smart. In that early on it is about sacrificing one thing for another. Do you want a lot of ammo or a faster reload? With the ultimate ammo usually being the best of all worlds. It manages to remain significant for the whole thing.

There are a lot of sidegrades, though. Most weapons have three separate mod paths: full-auto close-range, sniper/DMR high-alpha long-range, and crit-centric VATS build. Each of those in turn has 2-3 "tiers" of mod for any given part.

Yeah, do you want a machinegun combat rifle? or do you want a sniper combat rifle? or do you want a rifle combat rifle? :P

This is of course ignoring when the "sidegrade" is completely useless. Like the fire upgrades on any energy weapon.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:02:50 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: December 07, 2015, 06:02:49 pm »

So as an aside, I think my playstyle may be... a little off the bellcurve?
In that I never, literally never had a scrap-resource shortage except when I first worked on Sanctuary.
Basically I just naturally and happily picked up almost every piece of junk I found as soon as I was out there.  I even took both levels of scrapper and junked most of the enemy weapons I found (yes, most.  At least until level 20 or so.)  Became alcoholic from +STR alcohol, and treasured rag-stags for their delicious +25 carry weight...

Basically I've been swimming in screws and steel and cloth the whole time.  Despite building up about a dozen settlements and never building a scrap exchange scavenging post or whatever.

The only thing that's gotten at all low is fiberoptics and crystal, and maybekinda adhesive...  But adhesive grows on plants, and I didn't need much other the other two to fix up my 2 energy weapons.  Plus Scrapper lvl2 lets you get plenty from the pile of Institute weapons you encounter.

I'm sure that on replaying I won't be so eager to pick up allllllll the things... Haha jk I'll prbably have high strength and crafting perks.  Maybe I'll blow resources on equipping settlers with advanced weaponry.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 462