Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830228 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Basically WH40K
« Reply #4245 on: November 29, 2015, 09:08:09 am »

The story and gameplay would've suffered heavily for Fallout, as they have the exact same styling of story within their newest shooter Battleborn. Fallout was never intended to be as memeish as Borderlands is now, even with the most random side missions and weirdness that was in Fallout 2.

Though it'd probably be about as linear as Fallout 4 was in retrospect.
What choices do you get in Borderlands? As far as I remember, it was fucking nothing. It had mmo quest design. Hardly the same level of linearity.

Fallout 1 and 2 were pretty memeish though.  Which I think works better in a top-down game with so much text?  When you come across a random encounter that's literally a giant Monty Python reference, I feel like it's easier to suspend disbelief if you aren't in first person with voice acting.
Fallout 1 and 2 had pop-culture references in easter eggs (and elsewhere in 2). Not horrendous internet memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: November 29, 2015, 09:14:30 am »

and the difference between those two is...?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: November 29, 2015, 09:17:04 am »

What choices do you get in Borderlands? As far as I remember, it was fucking nothing. It had mmo quest design. Hardly the same level of linearity.
The choices of borderlands are five.
Character, skillset, guns, Do side quest Y/N and when to do quest.
Borderlands was enjoyable and had an amusing plot, but it ain't an rpg in my opinion.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: November 29, 2015, 09:17:19 am »

Which one they are depends on whether he likes them or not.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: November 29, 2015, 09:27:57 am »

I dislike Borderlands because it has absolutely zero context to anything you do. It gives the feel that your character could just have stayed home and been a psychopath there and had exactly the same impact on the world.
Also, FUCK randomized weapons. Fuck them with a one bullet clip that does no damage because it was randomized and terrible.

When I bought Borderlands, I kinda expected a different game then what I got.
Fallout 4 is what I wanted Borderlands to be, but it is NOT what I wanted Fallout to be.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: November 29, 2015, 11:14:24 am »

yeah, bl is a story heavy shooter that uses quests to allow the player to set the game pace and give him freedom to explore and decide when to do what. that doesnt make it an rpg.
but thats beside the point. noone could seriously want a borderline style game design for fallout.
anyway, im sorry i have derailed this topic so much. it was not my intention to start the discussion if bl is an rpg or a game rpg players would enjoy.

in other news, i just finished the game \o/
went with the railroad, the other factions all pissed me off to much. didnt like the ending at all. just blow everything up seems like a very unrational idea. who would do that in a world where most infrastructure is destroyed anyway?
also i just got some shot video. i hoped against all hope for a more traditional fallout ending, with would inform me about the consequences of the decissions i made during the game.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:38:54 am by motorbitch »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: November 29, 2015, 11:15:32 am »

Spoiler tag that, maybe?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: November 29, 2015, 11:31:53 am »

"FO2 wasn't full of stupid memes." "Games like Diablo don't count as RPGs."

Okay yeah I'm done arguing this point.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: November 29, 2015, 11:34:52 am »

The way I see it, general pop-culture is more selective, internet pop-culture is not. Hence how general pop-culture references, such as those in Fallout 1 and 2, will include things like Indiana Jones, Star Trek, or Doctor Who, whereas internet pop-culture will include things like MS Paint faces, cat pictures and doge. Low-effort crap, often loud and obnoxious, that exists in internet pop-culture just because it got repeated a lot with minor alterations that, a lot of the time, made them funny in certain specific contexts rather than being worthwhile on their own. It's like the difference between making jokes between friends where really stupid shit is acceptable and funny in the right context, and trying to write jokes you intend to present to an actual broad audience.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: November 29, 2015, 11:43:27 am »

Wow. You just argued that references to Indiana Jones, Star Trek, and Doctor Who isn't obnoxious low-effort crap, as if they weren't shoehorned in to every possible situation by legions of idiots with no imagination just as much as any other meme. That's like saying that referencing Monty Python and the Holy Grail when you're playing a tabletop RPG is fresh and inspired. And that's terrible.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: November 29, 2015, 11:45:56 am »

Wow. You just argued that references to Indiana Jones, Star Trek, and Doctor Who isn't obnoxious low-effort crap, as if they weren't shoehorned in to every possible situation by legions of idiots with no imagination just as much as any other meme. That's like saying that referencing Monty Python and the Holy Grail when you're playing a tabletop RPG is fresh and inspired. And that's terrible.
That's not what I said. I called the thing being referenced crap, not the reference itself.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: November 29, 2015, 11:54:40 am »

Well I am slightly disappointed

Vault Spoilers... one of the early vaults

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also curse you game! I had Turret control protocols but I was stupid and forgot to eject it and now it is who knows where. Why developers why!?!

--

Finally turned my resource deficiency around... I guess looting everything bare has its advantages.

I kind of want to make a list of every object in the game that is surprisingly useful for example
1) Pencils: One of the few sources of lead... which is odd given that Pencils never had lead EVER.
2) Teddybears: Leather (and you need a lot of leather)
3) Fallout Boardgame: Radioactive material O_O
4) Baseballs: Cork!
5) Paint: Oil... Though to be fair, I thought this would be Lead given the time period.
6) Life Preservers: Screw? Wait what?
7) Cigarette packages/packs: Your best source of Asbestos, you will never need to carry fire extinguishers again.
8) Cooking Pot: Copper, note that all other "Cooking" items contain only steel
9) Coffee Pot: Asbestos and something else.

As well as ones that are oddly useless
1) test tubes and beakers: Only Glass, no crystal here
2) Cryogenic pumps: Only steel?
3) Scalpels: Only steel... only a surprise if you know what some can be made of.
4) Mop: Wood and Steel.

Though I probably should just make a list of objects you never need to pick up. But that would be a long list
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:27:16 pm by Neonivek »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: November 29, 2015, 12:43:40 pm »

1) Pencils: One of the few sources of lead... which is odd given that Pencils never had lead EVER.

Actually the paint on the outside of pencils at one point contained very high concentrations of lead, which commonly gave kids lead poisoning when they chewed on it.

That and considering this fallout universe has actual radioactive materials within soft drinks, I'm sure it might actually be lead rather then Graphite inside the pencils.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: November 29, 2015, 01:07:56 pm »

That and considering this fallout universe has actual radioactive materials within soft drinks, I'm sure it might actually be lead rather then Graphite inside the pencils.

>_> Unfortunately... that kind of... actually happened.

I wish Fallout made it up.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: November 29, 2015, 01:49:10 pm »

My main complaint that of the vaults in the game 2 share a ridiculously close theme.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 462