Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830104 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Basically WH40K
« Reply #4230 on: November 28, 2015, 03:59:34 pm »

Where is 5) "You can just walk back to base, it's less than two miles to the other side of town." or 6) "I'm tracking down a kidnapper. You can handle this on your own."
More than 10 years into the past.
Way to lay down some spoilers, man.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: November 28, 2015, 04:03:58 pm »

https://madokami.com/hd2bfn.pdfHere's something /v/ did on why bethesda's fallout is so different than the others.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:11:29 pm by poketwo »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: November 28, 2015, 04:09:05 pm »

Where?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: November 28, 2015, 09:32:02 pm »

Just killed a legendary deathclaw at level 8 and got a pretty sweet exploding bolt-action pipe pistol out it.
I am officially satisfied with this play session.

Playing it with mouse and keyboard is pretty different to gamepad, it must be said. Shame the keyboard controls were apparently designed for some kind of mutant octopus.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: November 28, 2015, 11:24:21 pm »

https://madokami.com/hd2bfn.pdfHere's something /v/ did on why bethesda's fallout is so different than the others.

Yea, you know, they are Bethesda games above all, they have so much more in common with oblivion and skyrim than they have in common with fallout 1&2.

I kind of lament this new era of themepark games, because they make it much harder to suspend disbelief.

In a way, I think that one of the deep causes for this is the ever increasing degree of graphic detail. When a universe is described through words, your mind paints the whole universe. When it is described through simple graphics, your mind fills in the blanks. But when everything is shown in high res, then the mind has nothing else to do than see all that is wrong. It's like the "uncanny valley" phenomenon.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: November 29, 2015, 02:24:30 am »

as much as i loved fallout 1 and 2, i much prefer first person these days.
i think borderlands did many things very right, tho its more like a first person diablo (sadly, without any cheat / item protection, with removes all the long time motivation diablo had).
still, if it comes to rpg on a computer, i think the main thing is to tell a story, and to let the player influence what story is told and how its told. in this regard, i enjoyed borderlands very much - even tho much of this proably came from the wierd humor and the twisted story.
sad again that the presequel was the best gameplay whise, but was so much worse then one or two if it came to story.
anyway, im drifting away. what i realy want to say is, just imagine fo3 was made by gearbox instead of borderlands.
i still love the bethesda versions, but ill be frank here, i think the engine is shit and im not a big fan of the elder scrolls.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:26:37 am by motorbitch »

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: November 29, 2015, 03:06:34 am »

as much as i loved fallout 1 and 2, i much prefer first person these days.
i think borderlands did many things very right, tho its more like a first person diablo (sadly, without any cheat / item protection, with removes all the long time motivation diablo had).
still, if it comes to rpg on a computer, i think the main thing is to tell a story, and to let the player influence what story is told and how its told. in this regard, i enjoyed borderlands very much - even tho much of this proably came from the wierd humor and the twisted story.
sad again that the presequel was the best gameplay whise, but was so much worse then one or two if it came to story.
anyway, im drifting away. what i realy want to say is, just imagine fo3 was made by gearbox instead of borderlands.
i still love the bethesda versions, but ill be frank here, i think the engine is shit and im not a big fan of the elder scrolls.

In regards to Gamebro engine, thats what happens when said engine is almost 15 years old! With only slight modifications to barely run on the current generation.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: November 29, 2015, 03:50:59 am »

Don't really see why people bash Borderlands as much as they do. shootan dudes is fun, especially in fairly nonlinear levels and with random loot, and doubly so with friends.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: November 29, 2015, 03:56:36 am »

It's the mindset that RPGs are no true RPGs unless they have lots of statblocks behind that one.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: November 29, 2015, 05:42:46 am »

just sad it has no cheat protection whatsoever. would have been easy to store the inventory information on the server instead on the local hard drive.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: November 29, 2015, 05:51:57 am »

Sounds like it'd be a worse RPG and a worse Action game. More bullet sponge, less choice, less stats, less complexity, class-based, pre-defined characters, way more randumb internet-level humour. It's like everything bad about FO3 magnified and then some.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: November 29, 2015, 06:23:51 am »

nonsense. what you describe is borderlands, and you obviously dont like it.
no matter who had made fallout3, it would have had the special system, the perks and a lot of text.
anyway. speculations.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: November 29, 2015, 08:25:48 am »

The story and gameplay would've suffered heavily for Fallout, as they have the exact same styling of story within their newest shooter Battleborn. Fallout was never intended to be as memeish as Borderlands is now, even with the most random side missions and weirdness that was in Fallout 2.

Though it'd probably be about as linear as Fallout 4 was in retrospect.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:32:29 am by ZebioLizard2 »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: November 29, 2015, 08:45:13 am »

Fallout 1 and 2 were pretty memeish though.  Which I think works better in a top-down game with so much text?  When you come across a random encounter that's literally a giant Monty Python reference, I feel like it's easier to suspend disbelief if you aren't in first person with voice acting.

I really liked Fallout 2 but I don't know if that experience can be captured in a FPS.  It could be 3D and pretty, but maybe not first person.  I'd choose XCOM style where the game goes "over the shoulder" for certain maneuvers and kills.

Anyway I'm going to play more Fallout 4.  It's like Borderlands (which I LOVED) plus some kinda dumb base building, and a setting which is recognizably similar to the Fallout series.  All wrapped around, yeah, Oblivion with guns.  I'm enjoying it, it's pretty good.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: November 29, 2015, 08:48:55 am »

I remember in Fallout 2 you could go back in time to break the water chip to set off Fallout 1.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 462