Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830832 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: HYPE HAS CHANGED
« Reply #810 on: June 21, 2015, 05:21:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure rifles tend to be more accurate than non-rifled shotguns firing slugs, and it would be for this reason.
So what happens when a rifled shotgun fires buckshot?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 21, 2015, 05:25:40 pm »

A musket is an un-rifled small arm/long gun, rifling just refers to the "rifling" in the barrels, the spiral grooves on the inside.
A musket would be inaccurate due to the ball bouncing around in the barrel while the rifling makes it much more accurate.
Neither of which really have to do with lasers. Of course rifle has become the go to term for a modern long gun that isn't a shotgun, and laser rifle is already taken. The name laser musket probably refers to the elongated reload of it, but im not sure, probably just a gimmick name for the "Minute Men" main weapon.
Just wanted to correct this quick.  A musket (or indeed, any other smoothbore; muskets aren't the only type of smoothbores) isn't just inaccurate because the ball is bouncing around in the barrel.  If your calibers don't match by that degree, you've got a pretty awful gun to start with whether it's a smoothbore or rifled, and the fact that this was common in bygone days was independent of the type of barrel, but rather a consequence of the difficulty of precision engineering.  A rifle is more accurate than a smoothbore not because its bullet fits the barrel better, but rather because the rotation imparted to a properly-designed bullet by those spiral grooves you mention induces a gyroscopic force that stabilizes it and causes to fly straight for longer.  I'm pretty sure rifles tend to be more accurate than non-rifled shotguns firing slugs, and it would be for this reason.
Thanks, I was mostly going off of previous knowledge and hearsay.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 21, 2015, 06:07:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure rifles tend to be more accurate than non-rifled shotguns firing slugs, and it would be for this reason.
Apparently, the imparted spin increases the spread significantly and scatters it in a "donut" shape.  Low muzzle velocities aside, I can't imagine it's all that good for the rifling, either.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 21, 2015, 06:29:22 pm »

Apparently, the imparted spin increases the spread significantly and scatters it in a "donut" shape.  Low muzzle velocities aside, I can't imagine it's all that good for the rifling, either.
What about rifled cannon like a parrot gun from the civil war firing canister shot or something along those lines? Or grape shot? Same principle?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 21, 2015, 06:53:55 pm »

What about rifled cannon like a parrot gun from the civil war firing canister shot or something along those lines? Or grape shot? Same principle?
I think so, though I'm not so positive on that and I was actually wrong about how good or bad it is for the rifling.  The rifling doesn't care at all as long as it stays in the shell until it's ejected from the muzzle.  At any rate, though, the exact same physical parameters regarding rifled shotguns would apply to rifled artillery, only scaled up.  I think that most ACW-era artillery that fired canister tended to do so at rather close ranges in either case, however, and they typically had Napoleons or other smoothbores as well (Napoleons were particularly infamous for the reach of their canister shot), but it looks like they did make canister shot for the 3-inch Ordinance Guns. 

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 21, 2015, 07:19:30 pm »

some generic phrase.

"You" - that will be the player's name in that case. Or probably some title, like always.

Or maybe they'll let you pick a name from the list to be called? "Hey, I'm Killermaster, but please call me John"
Or they'll call you by your title ("lone wanderer", "the courier", etc.)

The thing I really liked about Fallout 3 that just wasn't present in New Vegas was how you built the world.
In Fallout New Vegas, you only ever feel as an errand boy, doing things that the NCR can't do only because they're stretched thin.
In Skyrim, you're never treated with the default respect that being the Dragonborn would foster. Also, Alduin doesn't matter at all in the civil war. When you kill him, nothing really happens afterwards. The civil war continues, the jarls don't care about your deeds until you do them personal favours, and the world just continues to turn.
In Fallout 3, if you do enough good deeds, you get credited as being like a messiah by Three Dog. The BoS with all its technology was bleeding members stemming the Super-Mutant tide...until you stepped in. In Broken Steel, you're outright considered to be the second-most powerful being in the entire Capital Wasteland next to Liberty Prime by the Brotherhood of Steel. Bring clean water to everything and you start to see the changes that occur.
It's not that Fallout 3 makes you the most important person in the world - every Bethesda game does that. What Fallout 3 does is it makes you feel like you're the most important person in the world. Also, "the Lone Wanderer" is a really cool title.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:25:10 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 21, 2015, 09:56:15 pm »

I believe the title chosen for the FO4 protagonist is "Sole Survivor".
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 21, 2015, 10:16:38 pm »

Where's this about Minute Men and Musket Lasers from? The trailer or the e3 presentation, or did I miss some news?

You can see them in the inventory of the player, and the opening minutemen faction mission (which seems to double as the power armor tutorial and THIS IS A DEATHCLAW tutorial) is in this bit of footage. I would also like to point out that, despite my rabid fanboyism, the minutemen squad leader's expressions look like they were carved from a block of wood, and then that block of wood was hot glued above a set of well animated lips.

Anyway, other fun little details...

The mod community has always been strong with Bethesda games. With Fallout 4 their creative ideas will reach beyond PC and into consoles. Modding tools are expected to become available on PC in early 2016, with Xbox One owners getting access to their creations shortly thereafter. Once the modding is thriving on these two platforms, Bethesda hopes to work on extending this content to PlayStation 4 as well, but Howard wasn't comfortable putting a timetable on that.

So the game will be out in four months, but it'll be at least six until we have full toolsets. Boo.

So far Bethesda has only shown off your trusty canine Dogmeat (who Howard confirmed will not be killed off in a cruel fashion)

So Bethesda hasn't gone for the 'Dog dies, everyone cries. We are totes genius at dramtic ritting!' camp of storytelling. At least, not completely. Granted, this probably means that all your companions are made out of giant sponge, but that can be tweaked along later through mods. A storyline death for the dog would have been more problematic.

As you could see in the trailer, Fallout 4 introduces new modes of transportation in the form of the gunship, but Howard says they aren't doing cars or anything as well.

Oh thank God. The way power armor moves will at least feel sort of similar to the way the player moves, so it'll only be as janky and unpredictable as normal walking. Considering Bethesda's track record with horses, I... I'm really glad they didn't try cars. Maybe in the next Fallout.

A list of your settlements will appear in your PipBoy. You can send caravans between the various bases to get your supplies where you want them to be.

This is interesting, not because of what it says, but because of what it doesn't say. It doesn't mention fast travel. This puts a tender bud of hope in my heart that fast travel will be more involved than tapping things out on the pip-boy. Granted, silt striders aren't going to fit, but it shouldn't be too hard to find something more immersive than tapping your wrist and saying ENGAGE in a commanding voice.

Bethesda is tweaking the way auto-scaling works for Fallout 4 to create more challenge. "We call it rubberbanding; we'll have an area [where enemies scale from] level 5 to 10, and then this area will be level 30 and above," Howard says. "You'll run into stuff that will crush you, and you will have to run away."

Translation: We have kept the level scaling pretty much the same. Reasonably good news. We shouldn't see raiders with power armor and daedric battleaxes miniguns except potentially in areas that make a reasonable amount of sense. I'm not sure why it's called 'rubberbanding' rather than 'common sense in world design', but hey.

V.A.T.S. has received some slight overhauls. It no longer completely pauses the action, and critical shots are no longer random. If you look at the videos, you'll notice a "critical" bar on the bottom of the screen that the player fills. Once it is fully filled you can decide when to use it. Your luck skill determines how fast the bar increases, and there are perks that dig into how criticals work and how you use them.

I'm actually pretty cool with this. I think this sets up an interesting combat mechanic where you chain together kills on weaker mob units and use your critical charge to soften up the mob-boss unit(s). That being said, things could get odd if that crit bar is universal between weapons. Charging it with a normal weapon, then switching to a high power weapon or an AOE weapon for the crit could make for weirdness, exploitation, or epic combat. Have to play it for judgement to be passed.

With the new, built-from-scratch shooting system, Howard says Fallout 4 plays much more like a modern shooter. You can aim down the sights, use V.A.T.S., and play in first or third person.

Uh. Yeah. 'Grats on catching up to the ball as thrown by F:NV half a decade ago. I understand that it's difficult to describe shooting as more than pointing your gun and yelling pew-pew until everyone falls over, but this was a terrible sell. I've seen pistol whipping, I've seen bayonets, I've seen damn good looking recoil (particularly for scoped weapons), so you might want to emphasize that next time. Not "you can aim down the sights".

Fallout 4 has a full weather system that sends radiation storms across the world.

Huh, that could be either really cool or spectacularly annoying. If it's weather that we can see coming and is effected reasonably well by cover (not just loading screens, since he talked about minimizing those), then cool. If it's FO:3 weather, the kind that suddenly fades into storminess with no real warning on the horizon... That might suck. Still, play it and see.

Fallout 4's narrative has a lot more branching paths and overlapping of "if that than this" than Fallout 3. They want the game to handle all the fail states of missions instead of forcing players to reload saves.

Oh good, that seems like an excellent piece of common sense. Branching paths makes me a little suspicious, but I'll go with it. Maybe they learned a good lesson or two from New Vegas.

The extra graphical horsepower provided by the new console gave the team a tech backbone to iterate on its Creation engine and add more dynamic details. Physics-based rendering and volumetric lighting help create more atmosphere in the world, opening the game up to more environmental storytelling.

Translation 1: Dynamic dynamicism in all dynamic layers of the central gameplay dynamics will dynamically leverage player dynamics to create a more dynamic experience.

Translation 2: It means nothing.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 21, 2015, 10:26:31 pm »

Every one of those words actually meant something to me and the sentence was coherent, so that seems legit.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 21, 2015, 10:29:12 pm »

Every one of those words actually meant something to me and the sentence was coherent, so that seems legit.

The individual words mean something, but the sum of it is: The game looks prettier, we can tell a prettier story when we have prettier pictures. Considering the time shift, I would be shocked if this was not the case. So, despite being made of meaningful words, that particular bit of interview didn't actually mean anything new.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 21, 2015, 11:18:51 pm »

"The consoles are more powerful now, so we upgraded our engine. The upgraded engine will let us make the game prettier and fill it with more physics objects."

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 22, 2015, 12:20:25 am »

some generic phrase.

"You" - that will be the player's name in that case. Or probably some title, like always.

Or maybe they'll let you pick a name from the list to be called? "Hey, I'm Killermaster, but please call me John"
Or they'll call you by your title ("lone wanderer", "the courier", etc.)

The thing I really liked about Fallout 3 that just wasn't present in New Vegas was how you built the world.
In Fallout New Vegas, you only ever feel as an errand boy, doing things that the NCR can't do only because they're stretched thin.
In Skyrim, you're never treated with the default respect that being the Dragonborn would foster. Also, Alduin doesn't matter at all in the civil war. When you kill him, nothing really happens afterwards. The civil war continues, the jarls don't care about your deeds until you do them personal favours, and the world just continues to turn.
In Fallout 3, if you do enough good deeds, you get credited as being like a messiah by Three Dog. The BoS with all its technology was bleeding members stemming the Super-Mutant tide...until you stepped in. In Broken Steel, you're outright considered to be the second-most powerful being in the entire Capital Wasteland next to Liberty Prime by the Brotherhood of Steel. Bring clean water to everything and you start to see the changes that occur.
It's not that Fallout 3 makes you the most important person in the world - every Bethesda game does that. What Fallout 3 does is it makes you feel like you're the most important person in the world. Also, "the Lone Wanderer" is a really cool title.
I think this is mostly due to 3dog's reports on the radio being based on your overall karma, something which New Vegas does not have. Just bases it on the things you did.

When I was playing an absurdly evil character, 3dog's quips angered me to such a point I murdered him and then left via the back door to not get squished by the Brotherhood guards.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 22, 2015, 12:26:34 am »

That is the exact reason I couldn't bring myself to be evil. I love Three-Dawg. :D
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 22, 2015, 02:29:47 am »

When I was playing an absurdly evil character, 3dog's quips angered me to such a point I murdered him and then left via the back door to not get squished by the Brotherhood guards.
This right here is the sign of a great game.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 22, 2015, 03:35:52 am »

I found his evil quips with their righteous indignation more amusing than the constant praise when you're good. Especially in the high levels in Broken Steel, when you get the cool titles like Stuff of Nightmares or Soultaker.

"Think you'll sleep when you're dead, children? Think again, because we've got a Soultaker in our midst," or something of that nature, for instance.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 462