Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831961 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Hype Never Changes
« Reply #180 on: June 03, 2015, 08:56:34 pm »

I'm a bit disappointed by the graphics in the trailer... looks just like fallout 3.

Did we play the same Fallout 3? It had two colors: greenish gray and greenish black. Fallout 4 actually has a range.
More colorful I guess, but the textures look the same. Same level of detail.

Here's the year old 'leak' which is looking potentially true https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/

I think it's more like 'a guy who got fired who worked on the game' but nothing more. Anything he said will be taken seriously when ever single thing he said happens.

I don't trust video game leaks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2015, 08:58:21 pm »

This version uses a brand new engine built from the ground up to take advantage of the power of next gen systems.

Almost surely false

Fallout 4 will also be available on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.... Everything will be the same in this version as the advanced version, except for the graphics, gameplay and some additional features.

"everything will be the same except everything will be different"

Unlike Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, you can only play as a man. This is due to the storyline requiring it. However, after the main story is over, you can have a gender change.

?????

Additionally, full support for Trophies/Achievements are present on all console versions, and full steamworks support is present for the PC version.

and water is wet

June 2015 - Fallout 4 reveal at E3, trailer only

already wrong

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2015, 09:06:35 pm »

snip

First one, how is it surely false that they aren't using the Fallout 3/NV engine anymore?

Second, I think it's clarifying that it's the same story just dumbed down and pointless.

Third, she said you have a wife, presumably there's some story reason why you aren't a lesbian.

Fourth, New Vegas does not have steam workshop support, only nexus and mod managers.

Fifth, Bethesda clearly is premiering it at E3, they've just released the trailer early. Not the kind of decision needed to be finalized 11 months ago.

As it stands there's nothing to disprove it.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 03, 2015, 09:10:19 pm »

That said, it's nowhere near confirmed, either.

I'm wondering now, though, whether there is any mention of racism or homophobia in the Fallout series (beyond some of the stuff said about the Legion, that seemed like it was just childish slander more than anything). I think there's some sexism, especially in the Legion, but I can't seem to remember anyone ever commenting on someones race or sexuality in a negative way.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 03, 2015, 09:12:22 pm »

I'm wondering now, though, whether there is any mention of racism or homophobia in the Fallout series (beyond some of the stuff said about the Legion, that seemed like it was just childish slander more than anything). I think there's some sexism, especially in the Legion, but I can't seem to remember anyone ever commenting on someones race or sexuality in a negative way.

Major Knight in New Vegas.

If you're male and have 'confirmed bachelor', he'll say you shouldn't get too friendly because 'this isn't the republic.'

IIRC, he mentions the legion are more accepting of 'friends', but the Mojave is less so.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

EDIT: Also he's one of the only male homosexual character :v

Got him and Arcade and only one can companion :v
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:16:22 pm by Iceblaster »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2015, 09:21:51 pm »

snip

First one, how is it surely false that they aren't using the Fallout 3/NV engine anymore?

I didn't say anything even remotely resembling that. I meant that it's pretty clearly built on Skyrim's engine, rather than an entirely new engine that they said.

Fourth, New Vegas does not have steam workshop support, only nexus and mod managers.

Skyrim is the game you should be comparing to. It is BGS's most recent release. New Vegas and 3 should not be taken into consideration for release info like that.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 03, 2015, 09:41:46 pm »

Workshop came about in 2012. New Vegas is older than that and with Skyrim being the focus around 2012 there was no reason to go back to New Vegas to add support.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2015, 10:06:17 pm »

snip

I didn't say anything even remotely resembling that. I meant that it's pretty clearly built on Skyrim's engine, rather than an entirely new engine that they said.

Skyrim is the game you should be comparing to. It is BGS's most recent release. New Vegas and 3 should not be taken into consideration for release info like that.

Generally when people list the features of a sequel, they use the previous game in the series as a benchmark, not the most recent game by the same developer. This is how I read it.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2015, 10:11:08 pm »

snip

Second, I think it's clarifying that it's the same story just dumbed down and pointless.

Third, she said you have a wife, presumably there's some story reason why you aren't a lesbian.

Fifth, Bethesda clearly is premiering it at E3, they've just released the trailer early. Not the kind of decision needed to be finalized 11 months ago.

As it stands there's nothing to disprove it.
How...
How is number two even close to talking about the story?!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2015, 10:12:53 pm »

PTHYPE
DOG CONFIRMED
Black lives matter.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2015, 10:46:55 pm »

Another example of homophobia besides what Iceblaster said: Veronica talks about how Father Elijah broke up her relationship with another woman in the BoS because the Brotherhood needed everyone to have straight person sex and make babies because they refused to let anyone else join. Or something like that.

Anyway, that's besides the point of my main message: why you shouldn't trust that Reddit post. People are taking it on its word about the "you can only be a dude" thing because they say its other claims are accurate. Well, I'm saying they aren't - and before I go on, I'll give the obvious disclaimer that the amount of official information we have is very limited and I'm taking a fair few educated guesses, and it may turn out that "Sandra Reed" (hereafter known as "Reed") is 100% right. But probably not.

I worked on, and played, Fallout 4. Yes, I did.
While it's entirely possible Reed worked on Fallout 4, I'm curious about the playing part because I don't think it would have been in a particularly finished state a year ago and the information given would suggest an almost-finished game.

At the beginning of the game, you create your character (You can only be a male in the main story), and afterward, you start the game with a blast. After the blast, you awake to see the building you are standing inside blown apart and your wife, Lydia, dead. Robots and Androids are storming the place, killing and kidnapping the people inside. You, known as "The Officer", must escape and get revenge.
The trailer suggests your character comes out of a Vault (111), not inside a building being attacked by robots. The intro Reed describes has no place for a Vault in it. As for the "Cryo Hypothesis" that the PC is a survivor from before the war who later emerges from Vault 111, there is little chance the above scene could reasonably happen before the war. First, androids are implied to be a post-war invention. Second, "escaping and getting revenge" doesn't suggest "hide in bunker from impending nuclear war" to me; it suggests "The Officer" running off into the wasteland. I consider this the second-strongest counterpoint, after the engine one below.

LOCATION: Fallout 4 is set in and around Boston and the surrounding countryside.
The downtown area is entirely controlled by "The Institute", a group of techies and scholars, as well as researchers, who devote their lives to technology. The countryside area is a "Wasteland" with small towns and settlements, as well as vaults here and there.
While this seems to fit the information from the trailer, keep in mind that the concept of Fallout 4 being in Boston was a deeply ingrained meme among Fallout fans long before anything from Bethesda was leaked (See: Survivor 2299). This could easily be either a case of telling people what they expect to hear, or simply a stopped clock.

Logan International Airport is taken over by the Brotherhood of steel, who are there trying to control the technology, and are currently waging a war against the institute, as they both have disagreements as to who should be in control of the technology in the area.
Nothing in the trailer suggests an all-out Brotherhood-Institute war and since this would presumably be a major (if not the main) plot I doubt they would leave it out.

The map of Fallout 4 is about 3 times the size of Skyrim. The reason for this is to make a much more realistic and interactive world, that players can always find new things, even if they have played it for years after release.
I question this first purely out of my expectations for corporate greed. Why make a bigger world when you could sell more areas as DLC? That said, it sounds awesome - too awesome to be realistic, in my mind. I realize this is my weakest point, of course.

The Institute returns from Fallout 3, and is headed by a man named Thomas Littleton. They are the primary antagonists of the game, and control most of Boston Downtown. Their patrols in Downtown Boston are the counterpart in this game to the Super Mutants in Downtown DC in Fallout 3.
Raiders return too.
The trailer doesn't show any "Institute patrols", nor does it indicate anything evil about them. Pointing out that raiders are back seems too obvious for a Fallout game to point out as a feature or treat as any sort of "leak".

This version uses a brand new engine built from the ground up to take advantage of the power of next gen systems. Absolutely everything is new, and no assets or scrips are being used from Fallout 3/NV or Skyrim.
The engine used in the trailer appears quite similar to Skyrim's Creation Engine, and even if it is incrementally different it is almost certainly not "built from the ground up" or completely new. If it is a brand new engine, it sure as hell isn't "next gen". I would dare say this is the biggest hole in Reed's claim based on available information.

Fallout 4 will also be available on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. This version is also being developed by Bethesda Game Studios, but will release a year after the advanced version.
The site does not mention PS3 or 360 versions, and making them doesn't make a lot of economic sense because of how old the old gen consoles will be by the time of the games release; the potential sales don't seem like enough to justify a port to a completely different engine (and it probably isn't even, see previous point), particularly one done in-house by Bethesda rather than focusing on DLC or their next game (TES 6, hopefully).

Also, players of the PS3/360 version will be pleased to know that Fallout 4 will be able to import your Fallout 3 save, and adapt choices you made from that game for Fallout 4. This means that some additional characters could pop up, depending on if you killed them or not in Fallout 3. Also, some story references from Fallout 3 will be mentioned. Did the BOS save the capitol wasteland? Or did it fall? Did Sarah turn on the purifier and die? Or did the lone wanderer do it? It might get mentioned depending on your choices!
Assuming old gen versions were made, I doubt they would have more features than new gen, especially given that Reed claimed elsewhere that the opposite would be true. Also, they don't indicate the possibility of such a system being on the PC version if it were implemented.

(Although by my experience, it actually looked and played more like the PS2/Xbox Fallout: Brotherhood of steel.)
Even bringing up PoS (sic) on a Fallout board seems like blatant bait.

Additionally, full support for Trophies/Achievements are present on all console versions, and full steamworks support is present for the PC version.
Much like raiders, these seem so obvious that I don't see why someone would point them out as features.

1. June 2015 - Fallout 4 reveal at E3, trailer only
2. July 2015 - First gameplay trailers
The Fallout 4 reveal preceded E3 by about two weeks, including the trailer. They can't just show a "trailer only" at E3 now because we've already seen the trailer.

5. November 2015 - First DLC
6. December 2015 - Second DLC, as well as PS3/360 version release
7. January 2016 - Third DLC
8. March 2016 - Forth DLC
9. April 2016 - Fifth and Final DLC
One of the commenters on the Reddit thread itself inspired this point. The DLC timeline is suspect in a) how carefully it's planned out, and b) how short it is - Fallout 3's last DLC came out 10 months after the game itself, while the Skyrim DLC schedule took 15 months to complete. Since this game is supposed to be bigger and better than both, why is its DLC schedule only 6 months long?

And inspired by that same comment but applying to the post as a whole: Why would Bethesda let so much insider business information into the hands of a single grunt-tier employee who had worked there less than a month?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:49:25 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2015, 11:00:17 pm »

snip

Generally when people list the features of a sequel, they use the previous game in the series as a benchmark, not the most recent game by the same developer. This is how I read it.

Considering that Fallout 3 was very famously Oblivion with guns, I'd say that most people would probably think about 4 as Skyrim with guns instead of more like New Vegas 2 or whatever.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2015, 11:01:11 pm »

Skyrim with guns
and also you can BE A DOG
Black lives matter.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 03, 2015, 11:08:20 pm »

Anyway, having applying the power of random guessing to shoot down other peoples' random guessing, I will resume my own random guessing:

Someone on Reddit noticed the You're SPECIAL book from Fallout 3 in the ruined house at the beginning. This could support a "Child Cryo Hypothesis" (rather than the Reed-inspired "Male-only Cryo Hypothesis") where the player character is not one of the parents (specifically, the dad) but the baby, having grown up but then not aged somehow within Vault 111.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2015, 12:51:24 am »

I'm surprisingly un-hyped. I suppose the empty prettiness that was Skyrim vanilla and Fallout 3 sort of led me to give up on Betheseda. I'm sure this will be a fine game once there are big mods, but the writing will be utter shit. I still have traumas from the whole "No, you must kill yourself because not the ghoul, the robot nor the supermutant will go to flip that switch in the irradiated chamber" from Fallout 3.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 462