Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831835 times)

Jarvis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Hype Never Changes
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2015, 05:02:10 pm »

If you thought that was bad in FO3, you definitely should steer clear of Fallout 2. That game had things like a 1920s-style gangster town complete with thugs armed with tommy-guns and the martial-arts town with a handwaved backstory (it was apparently built by a Chinese submarine crew in the very country they'd just had a nuclear war with) whose whole purpose in the game seemed to be so the player could compete in a martial-arts tournament.

It was a great game for its day, but if you want a consistent setting then Fallout 1 is the game for you.
I remember hearing that all the areas in Fallout 2 were done by different teams hence why they were all so disjointed with each other. Also, good God, the pop culture references in that game were out of control.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2015, 05:25:54 pm »

I've just re-watched the FO4 trailer for the umpteenth time, and I've noticed that pre-war flashbacks are more colourful than the rest of the game - at times they make Bioshock Infinite look like a CoD game. Since there were very old rumours that the main character is a cryogenically frozen Vault resident, it occurred to me - maybe the main character was alive in 2077, and all those scenes are just their memories of the apocalypse. Compared to the post-war wastelands, the pre-War world would definitely look extremely shiny in their mind.

But that wouldn't work with the obvious "no john you are the androids" plot twist.
...unless the main character was an android back in 2077. You know, secret pre-War experiments.

Also, here's another stupid storyline idea - the arriving vertibirds and the giant zeppelin belong to the Brotherhood of Steel, DC or Midwest BOS, doesn't matter. They plan to invade Boston and seize control of the Institute and its tech. The game is focused on their war, you can choose your side.

With the Raven Rock and Adams AFB out of commission, there shouldn't be more Enclave in the area, unless Bethesda pulls out another secret Enclave base from their collective ass.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:29:53 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2015, 05:29:33 pm »

I remember hearing that all the areas in Fallout 2 were done by different teams hence why they were all so disjointed with each other.

Ah, that's interesting. It does explain a lot.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2015, 06:47:51 pm »

Here is the thing... Fallout is a rather "Survival centric" setting. People don't create they scavenge. They aren't a modern society they are an ancient cave dwelling society that happened upon a lot of guns.

It's not, really. That wasn't the case even in Fallout 1, let alone 2.
Love, scriver~

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2015, 07:22:35 pm »

Yep, the whole survival thing only really popped up for real on new vegas. The most survival-eske thing you could do on fallout 1 and 2 was poaching geckos, and there were no food items either, AFAIK.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2015, 07:27:15 pm »

You guys know I was talking about the setting right? Not game mechanics.

People do not make the vast majority of the things you got in Fallout 1 and 2... they were all things that have been scavenged.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2015, 07:32:29 pm »

There were food items but they were vendor trash and didn't have any effect. Fallout 1 did have the water/thirst mechanic but that was just an unorthodox random encounter.

At any rate, I don't think Neonivek is talking about survival mechanics but the atmosphere and design of the games. 1 and 3 are both wrecked-up wastelands, 2 is mostly wasteland in the north but more civilized in the south, and NV shows a fairly developed frontier society and feels more like an anachronistic Old West with lasers and mutants than a Mad Max wasteland.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2015, 07:55:41 pm »

If the whole thing about there not being a female PC is true, why does the story necessitate it? I'd be interested in knowing what element of the plot requires the player to be a man. If it's because the PC has a wife or something, can't they just switch character models around so they're a husband instead? Hell, you might not even need that, just make the female PC gay. Maybe despite the fact that the 21st century in the Fallout universe was basically just the 50s extended over seven decades, social attitudes shifted away from the conservative views of the 50s separate of the culture itself. To the best of my knowledge there's never any overt indication of racism or homophobia from before the war, just the typical red scare sinophobia.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2015, 07:58:58 pm »

If the whole thing about there not being a female PC is true

i really doubt that

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2015, 08:05:40 pm »

If the whole thing about there not being a female PC is true, why does the story necessitate it? I'd be interested in knowing what element of the plot requires the player to be a man. If it's because the PC has a wife or something, can't they just switch character models around so they're a husband instead? Hell, you might not even need that, just make the female PC gay. Maybe despite the fact that the 21st century in the Fallout universe was basically just the 50s extended over seven decades, social attitudes shifted away from the conservative views of the 50s separate of the culture itself. To the best of my knowledge there's never any overt indication of racism or homophobia from before the war, just the typical red scare sinophobia.

I heard something about the protagonist being voiced. Not happy about that if it's everything ie: hamstrung dialogue in order to comply with voiceover needs.

I'm a bit disappointed by the graphics in the trailer... looks just like fallout 3. The city looks big though.

Hype either way.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2015, 08:06:02 pm »

Neo, the Gun Runners and the Brotherhood literally manufacture high-end weapons (and in the Brotherhoods case everything else too), yes most wasteland communities survive by scavenging and farming, but the knowledge to create technology is not lost.  Once we get to Fallout 2 the NCR is building everything domestically, and has to trade with the other large wasteland communities for uranium and precious metals (Though the very highest tech items are still made by the Brotherhood.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:08:38 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2015, 08:11:42 pm »

I don't know how people are translating one line of dialogue in a teaser trailer to "OMG PC is male-only and voiced!"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2015, 08:20:00 pm »

I'm a bit disappointed by the graphics in the trailer... looks just like fallout 3.

Did we play the same Fallout 3? It had two colors: greenish gray and greenish black. Fallout 4 actually has a range.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2015, 08:21:24 pm »

I don't know how people are translating one line of dialogue in a teaser trailer to "OMG PC is male-only and voiced!"

I'm pretty sure it comes from somewhere other than the trailer. Someone on Reddit about a year ago said that they had seen Fallout 4 in production, and they proceeded to make claims that have so far turned out to be fairly accurate. They also said that the PC could only be male due to story reasons. Of course they still could have been lying, but they made some pretty accurate predictions from what we've seen so far.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2015, 08:28:29 pm »

I'm a bit disappointed by the graphics in the trailer... looks just like fallout 3.

Did we play the same Fallout 3? It had two colors: greenish gray and greenish black. Fallout 4 actually has a range.
More colorful I guess, but the textures look the same. Same level of detail.

Here's the year old 'leak' which is looking potentially true https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 462