Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Uncharted Waters Online - Girlinhat builds ships!  (Read 9465 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Uncharted Waters Online - Girlinhat is Your Company CEO!
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2015, 01:25:26 pm »

A rundown on college/thesis:

It's a relatively new addition, which awards you for doing certain activities.  Since many are noticing the Mabinogi crew here, it's basically how skill-ups worked in Mabi - craft 30 items, go fishing 50 times, etc.  Many of these are things you would do normally, like traveling 10km (not very far, honestly) or using the "repair" skill.  Some of these are things you have to set out to do in specific, like 'read books in the archives, get a map, go find the map's treasure' that may not be your normal routine.  ALL of the activities are things that already give you rewards, so college is a way to do things you do normally, but also get additional rewards for doing so.

College also gives you special skills.  My current skill is "When you buy goods in the 'category 2' you get a 10% refund".  Other skills include "your ship goes faster" and "production fails less often" and other passive boosts that can really up your game.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2015, 09:05:29 pm »

Alright, you got me. I'm downloading this starting now, I expect to be in game by monday, or sometime next week.

EDIT: Alright, I lied, it's done already. I'll be on tonight.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:34:04 am by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2015, 10:27:00 pm »

So it was brought to my attention that a company (guild) can found a colony in north america, and build it essentially Mabinogi Homestead style - place specific buildings on a real map to increase population and production.  So we immediately tore off across the ocean to build some huts.

Right now it's about 100 acres of barren grassland, with three guys sitting there claiming that they're building houses.  There's 5 hour cycles, and houses take 2 cycles, but they appear to construct alongside each other.

We'll be pushing for a properly dwarven town, most likely, producing a thick supply of metals and weapons, or perhaps specialty goods for maximum profit potentials.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uncharted Waters Online - Dwarven warships found colony in New World!
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2015, 07:19:17 am »

Can we make booze as well?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2015, 07:44:01 am »

We can make booze as well, but a better idea is to import booze.

The way colonies work is like a normal port for company members. Since it is situated in North America, you get bonus from trading stuff from Europe there. We don't have a market yet, so no trading for now. However, once we get one set up, trading gin, whiskey, vodka and so on in the colony will give quite decent trade experience and fame since those are special products from Northern Europe.

You can also pick up handicraft and brew all this yourself!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2015, 10:08:09 am »

Alcohol isn't actually super-profitable, it's more of a bulk item.  Precious metals, weapons, and spices are the biggest money-makers by volume.  And let's be honest, a fortress runs on booze out of necessity, but it runs on steel and blades because it's proud.

stoney834

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2015, 06:53:00 am »

The school/tutorial system must've been designed by someone who hated this game and wanted no-one to play it. Its like they made it as tedious and long-winded as possible, making you sail all over the map for no reason.  Not to mention most of the time it doesn't explain stuff properly or it teaches me how to do things that I've already done dozens of times to even get this far into it.  I've gotten far enough through it to get a decent ship, but I've totally lost the will to put up with it any more. I think I'll skip the rest and try to pick stuff up from the wiki or asking players.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2015, 08:41:25 am »

The school/tutorial system must've been designed by someone who hated this game and wanted no-one to play it. Its like they made it as tedious and long-winded as possible, making you sail all over the map for no reason.  Not to mention most of the time it doesn't explain stuff properly or it teaches me how to do things that I've already done dozens of times to even get this far into it.  I've gotten far enough through it to get a decent ship, but I've totally lost the will to put up with it any more. I think I'll skip the rest and try to pick stuff up from the wiki or asking players.
Honestly?  I'd spam-click through it and ask things in company chat.  The first bits of things are kinda important, like how to load up on sailors and supplies, how to fire cannons, the core basics.  But really this game isn't as complicated as the school system makes it out to be.  You can figure out like 98% of the game by wandering around town talking to any NPC in about 20 minutes.  "Oh that's what the peddler does" and "Ah so I need these skills for the archives" and other just simple things.  The other 2% that's not immediately clear is shipbuilding...

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2015, 11:12:24 am »

is there some kind of land combat or just sea battling?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2015, 11:14:02 am »

is there some kind of land combat or just sea battling?

Last I checked(a few years ago), land combat was mostly some automated sword duel thing.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2015, 12:12:49 pm »

There's land exploration, but it's not the main focus.  It's a relatively crude system of 'select who to attack, watch HP bars, and use items sometimes'.  There's also deck battles, where you can engage in the same combat system when you're boarding enemy ships.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2015, 05:24:57 pm »

I'll give this a shot. Currently on my laptop, which while decent isn't strictly for gaming; how well optimized is it, and how graphics heavy does it tend toward being?

I will warn that I'm fairly quick to bore of MMOs, so if it's too much like World of Warcraft, RIFT, or similar fare I'm just as likely to uninstall it in a week.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2015, 05:48:29 pm »

I will warn that I'm fairly quick to bore of MMOs, so if it's too much like World of Warcraft, RIFT, or similar fare I'm just as likely to uninstall it in a week.

Same here. But i like pirates thingy so maybe i will give it a try.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2015, 05:50:06 pm »

It's not so much that the game is optimized, as it is that the game is a bit old, so you shouldn't have problems running it.

The game, as mentioned, has a lot of 'idle time' where you can do other things.  I'm sitting in harbor right now and typing on the forums :P  It's good for a bit of relaxation, with small spikes of excitement.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2015, 07:00:18 pm »

but what is there exactly to do when you lvl up? some epic sea battles? fighting for territories? or what
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5