Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Uncharted Waters Online - Girlinhat builds ships!  (Read 9460 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Uncharted Waters Online - Girlinhat is Your Company CEO!
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 07:12:48 pm »

After intensely studying this thread for days I still can't tell whether the consensus is that this game is awful or amazing.
Same.
I see the old mabi crew getting into it all, so it can't be that bad, but at the same time, I question how long they're all going to be interested.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2015, 07:36:49 pm »

Yeah I'm not sure though. I'm honestly trying to stop escaping reality via the internet these days. And trying to add more variety on things I do as to not compulsively obsess over it.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 08:39:03 am »

After intensely studying this thread for days I still can't tell whether the consensus is that this game is awful or amazing.
Same.
I see the old mabi crew getting into it all, so it can't be that bad, but at the same time, I question how long they're all going to be interested.

I can honestly say, that once you get past the tutorial. The game improves greatly and it's fun as hell.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 09:04:13 am »

It's a slow-paced game.  I spent an hour yesterday sailing from western africa to london.  There's not much in the way of immediate rewards, especially compared to other games with huge "LEVEL UP!" splash screens and stats that visibly rise, but there is a bit more of the DF-style slow buildup of something you can feel proud of.  It's perhaps more of a construction game than an rpg, and you're constructing your character.  It seems to almost play the same as sim-city, where the more you 'do' the more fiddly and frustrating the game becomes, but when you let it coast more, and take a relaxed standpoint on what you do, you find things going better.

I spend a lot of my time watching Netflix, with my mouse hovered over the taskbar so that Windows gives a small preview of the window, so I can notice if there's combat.  Or browsing reddit and other forums and popping back to see if I'm still sailing straight.  If you can handle the fact that it's not really a super hands-on action game, and get into the right mindset, it's great!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 09:42:32 am »

Whelp... its been ages since i played my last MMO (Mabinogi) so maybe i'll give it a shot.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 10:45:01 am »

Do we have anyone with the unlock skill? Just raised a shipwreck, but both of the damn chests on it are locked.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 06:48:53 pm »

Ok so i ran the game and completed the basic merchant course leaving me directionless once again. The game mentioned port permits so i guess i can't go to anotehr map... leaving me kinda stuck between netherlands and england.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 07:52:43 pm »

Ok so i ran the game and completed the basic merchant course leaving me directionless once again. The game mentioned port permits so i guess i can't go to anotehr map... leaving me kinda stuck between netherlands and england.

You should have some port permits for a few maps. There are three schools, Basic, intermediate and advanced. From what I remember, Groningan should be the school for intermediate merchants. Also, Go to London. Find the company adminstrator on the map in london and apply for Twelfthbays. That's our current group. We should have plenty of guys on there to answer questions right now.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2015, 10:38:40 pm »

I dumped some hours into this before. I suppose I'll do the same once more, but this time with company.

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2015, 11:15:13 pm »

I'm interested in this game: what stands out to me is that it seems low-maintenance (as it apparently takes a long time for your ship to sail and do stuff) and that it has a lot of content.

The only thing I'm worried about is how the top-most Steam review for the game mentions how the game installs a really nasty rootkit on your computer. None of the other reviews mention this though, and it was written back in January... should I be worried?

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2015, 11:42:21 pm »

think I might check this out downloading now

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2015, 07:43:30 am »

I'm interested in this game: what stands out to me is that it seems low-maintenance (as it apparently takes a long time for your ship to sail and do stuff) and that it has a lot of content.

The only thing I'm worried about is how the top-most Steam review for the game mentions how the game installs a really nasty rootkit on your computer. None of the other reviews mention this though, and it was written back in January... should I be worried?

That rootkit is probably from when it was under that other company. I understand they changed security systems when the new one took over the game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2015, 09:10:10 am »

That rootkit is probably from when it was under that other company. I understand they changed security systems when the new one took over the game.
NetMarble was using a few hyper-aggressive anti-cheat systems.  They're now owned by OGPlanet, which among other things makes several child-friendly MMO types.  The new anti-cheat is much milder and never been an issue.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2015, 10:24:05 am »

NetMarble was using a few hyper-aggressive anti-cheat systems.  They're now owned by OGPlanet, which among other things makes several child-friendly MMO types.  The new anti-cheat is much milder and never been an issue.
Whats the new one called?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2015, 10:58:36 am »

The new system is called X-trap. I never heard or saw it used before, but I've had no problem with it so far.
The comment on Steam was, as Xardalas guessed, from before the change.

As for ports permits mentioned earlier, you get them when you achieve certain milestone, mostly based around fame initially (later permits come from quests). You don't simply get the permit whenever you reach the required fame. Instead, you'll have to visit your capital city, when entering port you will receive a message saying you are expected at the Governor mansion (or your regional equivalent) and it is there that you will receive the permit. You should have a few port permits by the time you finish basic school.

Early on, this might not be really the case. You start with a small ship that can get attacked by anything, you can travel for long or far, etc. However, once you get better ships, which doesn't take long now since school quests give some, and access to other areas, it really is low-maintenance if you choose to.

On a personal note, I have been lucky and got on of those 3x10M reward from the random draw and I am now sitting on over 46M. I also finished adventure advanced school and got the Sambuk. I love that ship. Almost the same cargo than my trading ship, but much faster and with vertical sail. I also got ports permit for south Africa, all the way to Cape Town and should get the ones for the Caribbean soon as well. Doing thesis has proven to be a huge help in getting fame up.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5