Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Uncharted Waters Online - Girlinhat builds ships!  (Read 9468 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Uncharted Waters Online - Girlinhat builds ships!
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:16:53 pm »

So some may remember UWO being owned by NetMarble.  It's now being done by OGPlanet.  Not much has changed, honestly...

New to the game?
Get a ship, pilot around 13th-18th century world, like the whole world.  Americas, england, africa, china, etc...  Partake of Merchant or Maritime career paths... or Adventure, but it's not very good.  Trade is pretty simple - If you take it from one city to another city which doesn't sell that item, it's probably profitable.  Additionally, specialty goods in one area sell for a fortune if taken to a different area, the further the better.  Combat is simplistic in controls, double click to turn your boat and space bar to fire cannons, but is complicated in setup and math, different weapons, different armor levels, speed vs armor priority, boarding combat, ramming speed, sail-shredding or grapeshot...

It is, unfortunately, a rather slow game.  It's a perfect game to get on teamspeak and chat while sailing, because the bulk of the game is just sailing straight away until you reach a corner and have to turn.  Combat is interesting, but a tad lack-luster, and trading is as simple as going from one city to another.  Skills takes AGES to raise up, as well.  Crafting skills take days and days, and tons of money... but money is pretty easy to come by if you know how to sell things to other players.

Party system exists, and following works, so one player can do most of the 'work' in sailing a group.  Combat can support a good number of players as well, haven't seen an upper limit.  PVP piracy exists, and is said to be very scary, though I haven't attacked or been attacked.

Returning to the game?
Your account probably got reset, I know mine did.  But I'm getting settled into the game and getting skills and jobs set up.  I've realized how to make money off the market, so I've got some funds, and I'm working towards becoming a shipwright, which means cheap ships at detailed specs, and end-game superiority.

Thinking about playing?
Contact me, Steam under same name or forum message or whatever.  I've got some funding and skills, can get people set up and hopefully we can become the best of pirates!  It'll be some time to raise your skills, but funding is mostly secure and grouping can be done.  There's a significant amount of tutorial to play through, but none of it matters and you can ignore all dialogue forever to breeze through it.

ALSO!  There's microtransactions for certain convenience items and some high-ranking items, as well as the regular "+20% experience boost for a week" type, as well as the "open the mystery box and maybe get a nice item or not" but no real pay-to-win easily visible, especially since so much relies on skills (time playing) and high-ranking crafting.

http://uwo.ogplanet.com/en/main.og
http://store.steampowered.com/app/317110/

COMPANY (aka GUILD) is up in London, under the name "TwelveBays".  There's no penalty to joining, there's a 50 player limit but the server culls players who've been inactive for too long, and boots them from the company (account is still intact, but company membership is lost).

I've become a shipwright.  My current level is 5 and you can go to www.uwotool.com to plug in your adventure/merchant/military levels, then my "SB Lv" and see what's possible.  This will show you your possible ships and what I can currently do with them.  As a shipwright, I can
1: Make ships for cheaper,
2: Make ships with greater/lesser cargo hold,
3: Make ships made of different materials for great durability or speed,
4: Refit ships to change their crew size and cannon amounts, which can provide for more or less goods storage, and
5: Attach additional materials to a ship to give them permanent upgrades.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:09:33 pm by Girlinhat »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Uncharted Waters Online - Under New Management
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 08:32:40 pm »

I actually quite enjoyed UWO, definitely a slower paced game, but I actually rather enjoyed sailing about doing trade runs and stuff. Plus Galleys, galleys are awesome. Might try it out again after I get bored with a couple other games.

Might be worth sticking a link in the OP. I know it's on steam these days however.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:38:11 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:14:44 pm »

Downloaded it and decided to give it a shot. In game name is Xardalas.

This game has the longest goddamn tutorial ever.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:33:28 pm by Xardalas »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:52:59 pm »

Downloaded it and decided to give it a shot. In game name is Xardalas.

This game has the longest goddamn tutorial ever.
It really does.  You can glean some stuff off it, but honestly spam-click through it all.  It'll prompt you do do things, when you can go to the upper right "Journal" button and then "Quest" to see what to do next and get the information you skipped over.

Fortunately it does reward you with money, experience, and free ships.  So there's that, at least.  You can theoretically completely skip it, as everything can be gained through grinding play, but you get permission to travel to other ports a lot more easily.  I'm mostly skipping it.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:21:43 pm »

Your sales pitch does not sound too tempting :) Though I am for some strange reason looking for an MMO to play. It's been years since I have tried. I recently installed TERA since it is free on Steam. Havent gotten much into it though.

I got nothing

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:36:23 pm »

Your sales pitch does not sound too tempting :) Though I am for some strange reason looking for an MMO to play. It's been years since I have tried. I recently installed TERA since it is free on Steam. Havent gotten much into it though.
I tried TERA too, struck me as a bit too much of a traditional MMO.  Like, every korean MMO + loli.

UWO at least brings a totally unique aspect to things.  Your 'character' is really more of your ship, gotta keep crew, food, water, repairs, etc.  Keeping yourself supplies isn't really expensive, it just limits how long you can be at sea, bringing some logistics and shore-hopping tactics in.  You also have to handle wind and the positions of your sails (which is simplified) so it's not just a 'click there and get going' with no regards, there is some thought behind it.

It's a grindy game, for sure, with a hell of a tutorial... but it's unlike pretty much any other MMO I've ever played, which makes it worth checking out.  And sometimes the slower pace of having your ship plodding along while you check reddit/imgur/tumblr is nice.

Also the players tend to be a bit salty about any damage or loss.  I'm really looking forward to becoming a shipwright and building fast strike vessels for hunting down spice traders~

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 01:43:52 am »

I really don't recommend spam-clicking through the school lessons. It's annoying when School Chat is full of questions the lessons teach you.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 03:20:03 am »

You're thinking of Voyage Century Online, that was the shitty copycat version of this.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 06:39:00 am »

Just graduated from the intermediate class. Got gunner and swordplay at rank 2 right now. Sitting around with a half a mil in the bank.

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 12:27:21 pm »

Played this about a year or so ago, it had a really relaxing vibe to it, the only problem was the oPlanet launcher installed some anti cheat thingy that was a pain to delete. does the steam version have this malware payload?
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 03:16:52 pm »

Played this about a year or so ago, it had a really relaxing vibe to it, the only problem was the oPlanet launcher installed some anti cheat thingy that was a pain to delete. does the steam version have this malware payload?
It currently uses XTRAP, which isn't terrible.  It hasn't given me any problems that I can tell.  If you're worried about programs on your computer, I tentatively recommend Hijack This, which is a sub-program from Kasperki and has glorious Russian brutality.  You can run it (it's an executable, not installed) and can shut down and purge out anything active on your processor - including drivers and such if you're not careful.

Just graduated from the intermediate class. Got gunner and swordplay at rank 2 right now. Sitting around with a half a mil in the bank.
Take the low-pay missions, like "contact with the plymouth guild" or "specialty goods of lubeck".  They pay like 2,000D-10,000D but they give you a Quest Mediation Permit, which sells for 750,000D easy, and upwards of 1,000,000D if you open a bazaar saying you're a noob - people are actually pretty generous to new players.

EDIT: Add me as a friend in-game, name is still Girlinhat.  If you find me online, chat at me and we can put something together!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:23:24 pm by Girlinhat »

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 04:57:09 pm »

Neato. Tossed you a steam invite to. Anyways, I'll probably just do what I always do and do the highest paying mission they give me, load myself up with trade goods and trade as I do the mission.

I'm a soldier anyways, so I'm more focused on raising and grinding combat skills then cash.

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 07:30:09 pm »

Yeah apart from that whole stealth install thing it was a great game, I remember playing it whilst I was off work for a week and I was playing it for 12 hour stretches, because it was that absorbing. So I kind of burnt myself out on it.

My avatar was getting 3 square meals a day and I was sitting there with a pot noodle.

I recommend this game 10/10
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 09:23:50 pm »

Well, practically every game has an anti-cheat, and this is one of the lesser ones I've seen.  Either way, if you want to get back in, I'm raising casting and working to become a shipwright, so I can toss out decent gear at people.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 09:37:45 pm »

I used to play that when the open beta was launched.

I actually really like the slower pace of the game. Oh and crazy me actually enjoyed the adventure part :-[  However it can get boring if you have no one else to chat/play with.

I'll probably download tomorrow and give it another go.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5