Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What has changed since 0.37 version?  (Read 2625 times)

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What has changed since 0.37 version?
« on: May 29, 2015, 04:19:41 pm »

Hey guys, I've been playing DF really frequently before 0.40, I picked it up again yesterday (all updated) and I'm clueless if there's something more to this mode than it was before the large update? Conversations with people seem like they're just extended version of "Go to Spreadwinkles and kill twilight beast, then come back for some respect, man". Also I was really happy for the non-lethal combat (FISTFIGHTS!!!) but every time I slap someone on the face, they draw a knife on me and the whole city runs in terror (or if I hit a dwarf, I get gangbanged). Also it's a little weird, since I can throw neck-ripping pickaxes at people, then sleep it off, and population isn't even hostile with me.

I'm looking for some new alternatives to play the game, rather than the standard notable kills hoarding and retiring. Feel free to bring me back to date! I love this game.
Dabbling Overseer

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What has changed since 0.37 version?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 04:35:44 pm »

0.37 was never released. The last released version before 0.40 was 0.34.11.  ???

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 05:03:29 pm »

Also I was really happy for the non-lethal combat (FISTFIGHTS!!!) but every time I slap someone on the face, they draw a knife on me

An important note, make sure that before punching someone, you strap your weapons (key q  by default).

It's very easy to forget you still have your weapons in hands and in the case you give even a simple punch with weapon not strapped, the NPC will be going to lethal combat (or running away in terror) and will ignore completely your attempt at non-lethal.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 04:32:02 am »

I obviously meant 0.34, been playing through Genesis and Lazy Newb Pack so must have forgotten the exact number.

I'll try strapping my weapons, thanks.

I claimed a site for myself; my sprite flashes and I'm no more an axelord, I'm a lady, yet local population states a different group as their leader. How come?
Dabbling Overseer

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 11:09:31 am »

I obviously meant 0.34, been playing through Genesis and Lazy Newb Pack so must have forgotten the exact number.

I'll try strapping my weapons, thanks.

I claimed a site for myself; my sprite flashes and I'm no more an axelord, I'm a lady, yet local population states a different group as their leader. How come?

Did you kill the leader of this "other group"? The way it works now is you make a claim on a site, then kill the leader, and then the site is yours. Sadly, it seems like you need to start a new group every time you want to claim a site, and when I tried claiming a dwarven site it didn't work. Maybe I had to go kill the actual monarch, or maybe I would have just had to kill everyone on the site because they held instantaneous elections or something (I recall killing like 3-4 mayors before giving up).

Edit: as for what has changed:

Assassin's Creed has now been implemented. You can climb onto buildings, jump between rooftops and jump down on people and then proceed to stab them with knives. The Assassin's Creed patch also includes better stealth with vision arcs, along with an extensive combat rework with proper blocking, parrying and dodging, along with being able to interrupt attacks by grabbing the body part an opponent is attacking with.
Units now actually move across the map. Instead of an ambush randomly spawning at you, you can now see them moving around on the map (marked by an asterisk). This is also how sieges now work in fortress mode.
Non-human sites. The goblin ones have some fun stuff going on (with rescuing kidnapped children, who may or may not be happy in goblin society, and who might just jump you with their goblin mates), along with some other fun sites.
Combat escalation. Non-lethal, lethal and no quarter are available in adventure mode, with "horseplay" in arena mode, and "training" in fortress mode. Also, yielding which sometimes works, along with robbers who demand you to yield and drop your stuff (You can also rob people in the same way).
"Q"uest log and conversation rework. While turning in quests is now a pain (I'm not sure exactly how it's done...), finding a specific person or place can now be rather fun, with the new guide contracts and whatnot.

I think that covers most of what is relevant to adventure mode.

And the next patch will include more stuff to do at taverns, music, poetry, dance, apprenticeships (probably not for adventrurers though), philosophy, libraries and stuff.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:21:00 am by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

IndigoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 05:08:40 pm »

As far as I know, if you are a member of the site governmental group, a claim will not make you ruler. I assume this is because if I create a new dwarven axelord, claim the site I start in and kill everyone, I'll still be a member of the group I wiped out. I have not found a way to "secede" as of yet.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 05:12:48 pm by IndigoSnake »

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 05:16:59 pm »

Even though you are in charge now, the local population still belongs to the group that owned the site before you. Either go around and ask then to join your group or just kill then all, whichever you prefer.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 06:05:40 pm »

A lot:
From the Development Log on the Index page:

12/18/2014 (Version 40.20+)

"New stuff

New job selection process where dwarves choose important tasks with more regularity
    Very important jobs can remove dwarves from less important jobs
    Ability to prioritize a job so that it gets done immediately
    Mining, engraving and other designation jobs can now be prioritized numerically
    Designation jobs can be placed in a "marker only" mode, marker can be removed later to start work
    Mining jobs can be set to automatically follow veins and clusters
    Mining designation can be set to only select visible gems or useful stone"

In short: Dwarves are organized more efficiently in terms of job priorities and you can set the priority high for certain actions which makes them urgent. I.e. "Do this now!"
There's way more to DF2014 than what was added in 40.20. First and foremost the 40.01 highlights (paraphrased):
World activation!
Fortresses can be retired and unretired.
Site maps for dwarves, elves and goblins.
Multi-tile trees and lots of new plants. Fruit and flowers. Leaves that fall in little clouds.
Various movement changes. Climbing/jumping/sprinting in both modes. Adventure mode has a stealth rewrite. Movement and combat are separate now.
Tracking information in adventure mode.
Different levels of conflict.
Combat moves take place over a period of time now. Catching an opponent's attack. Get information about what attacks your opponent is doing. Quick/heavy/etc. attacks and multi-attacks.
Rumors of incidents can be spread, and the rumors need to be spread before you gain reputation (good or bad).
You can travel through tunnels.
Conversations have been redone. They no longer have their own screen, but run along with other actions, and there are many more options.
Some experiments with procedural items, though the new demon-type sites are still quite un-fun now.

Lots of bug fixes. Declaring ownership of sites in adventure mode. Pulping body parts. Equipping companions. Fleeing in terror. Inevitability. Emotion/stress rewrite. Harvesting fruit from trees. Gelding (neutering). Breeding requires proximity.

Saves are not compatible. Sieges are unfortunately all but non-existent in the current version. Undead and werebeasts, on the other hand, are much more deadly. The new adventure mode quest log fills up with useless information and you can't tell which beasts are still alive or not. Killing sentients, even bandits and vampires, will upset people and they will spit at you. DFHack now has a plug-in (Text Will Be Text) that allows you to combine ASCII and graphical tile sets as well as display multiple Z-levels at once.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 10:44:41 pm »

You can now properly play a renegade without becoming a monster to all civilizations immediately. Even in one civ, information now has to travel by rumor, so if you kill a man and eat his guts in one town (yes, you can butcher him and eat his intestines, liver, what-have-you) and were seen you can run to the next town and they won't know anything about it, yet. Necks are now a body part, making decapitations much more likely.

Highwayman:
Waylay random travelers (* on the map), knock them out with a quick hammer to a bony target (hands and feet preferable) and they will pass out immediately. You can then wrestle their items off of them, take them to a town and use that to buy stuff.

You can even become the lieutenant of a criminal master or captain by going to a camp and speaking to them, but I don't know what it does.

Monster Hunter:
With the new conversations system, hunting down night creatures and other creatures is surprisingly easy! All you need to do is listen in on a large crowd, skipping through the conversation. Do this for a while, then go to someone else and ask them about the whereabouts of all the nearby monsters you have discovered! If try don't talk, get them alone, initiate friendly conversation non-lethal combat and punch them in the gut until they tell you what you need to know. Then press Q pres s to select sites and locate the sites they have tipped you off on. Now go kill some monsters. As a vampire, this becomes even easier as you will become insanely powerful and can now use blood sense to locate nearby creatures through walls, underground, in the dark, etc.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 05:32:19 am »

Oh yeah, turning in quests... Not sure how it's done too. I just killed a savanna titan without a scratch (and i'm a dabbling shield user might I add). I came back to the fortress from which I recruited one maceman, just to find it being sieged by zombies again! I saved it (again...) by killing the beast, then proceeded to shout about my glorious deeds (spread rumor -> incident in which you slew Apepanthers Savanna Titan). All I got was "It was inevitable"  :'( :'( Although when I ask people about me, they say I'm a legendary hero, but I miss that "Urist McFarmer is dumbstruck" dialogue line.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Also attack -> dodge anywhere using the multi-attack option seems work against pretty much anyone who isn't using ranged weaponry, though it's boring. And the undead are tough as nails, I'm raiding a local necromancer tower to help out the beforementioned fortress, and not only two corpses basically one-shot my maceman, but also I've been fighting 15 of them for six in-game hours already, successfully killing... four. I'm aware that a lightest slip means I'm on the ground being munched by all of them simultaneously.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:25:24 am by Ragnarock »
Dabbling Overseer

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 08:26:32 am »

Saving kids gets the "is dumbstruck for a second" type reactions a lot.

I've had one character with something like 100+ rescues who got that reaction in completely different towns I hadn't visited yet.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 04:41:26 pm »

Saving kids gets the "is dumbstruck for a second" type reactions a lot.

I've had one character with something like 100+ rescues who got that reaction in completely different towns I hadn't visited yet.
They often get so dumbstruck they forget their own names.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 05:37:00 pm »

Their name? This guy forgot his name AND his god!

I saw this in a fort where I had rescued kids from someone I hadn't spoken with, which rocks:

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 02:03:29 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Guess the world kinda liked the Titan... since I get the same response from basically everybody I've met, lol
Dabbling Overseer

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 03:17:47 am »

Nah, regular killer just means you're possibly dangerous since you kill stuff, though you're also a legendary hero.

This is when you REALLY push things:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Think she's got like 1500 kills?
Pages: [1] 2