Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724106 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Partem Tueri
« Reply #5715 on: July 02, 2016, 07:36:06 pm »

It feels more dramatic here, or maybe that's because I really put off armor upgrades. I don't seem to remember XCOM enemy health scaling up as gradually as it feels it does here.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: July 02, 2016, 07:43:30 pm »

It feels more dramatic here, or maybe that's because I really put off armor upgrades. I don't seem to remember XCOM enemy health scaling up as gradually as it feels it does here.

Other than with new enemy types, enemy health did not scale in newcom (it did in long war). I don't recall if it did or not in oldcom.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: July 02, 2016, 08:17:48 pm »

While your troops could gain health in oldcom, they started ~35 and capped out at 60, and a mere plasma pistol does 0-104, so it really wasn't worth caring about. Much more important was their armour (or in my case, just sending another rookie).

Enemies didn't scale in health as time went on, or even, as far as I can tell, by difficulty level - a reaper will always have 148 HP, for example. Different alien ranks can have different amounts of HP, I believe though, so there's that.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: July 02, 2016, 08:41:49 pm »

Rookies are just another form of armour.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: July 03, 2016, 12:27:53 am »

Rookies are just another form of armour.
I believe that the technical term is "ablative".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: July 03, 2016, 12:36:25 am »

I really wish we had an Enemy Within-style expansion instead of the smaller DLC bits in XCOM 2. Even though Alien Hunters + Shen's Last Gift is probably more content than Enemy Within (or about the same, really), Enemy Within felt more thought-out and more like an expansion to the game instead of "new things!!!".

I'm still hoping that there's a secret expansion being made right now, because it feels like 2 bits of DLC (3 including Anarchy's Children) with work ending about 5 months post-release is unusual. It feels wrong to think that they're already working on XCOM 3.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: July 03, 2016, 02:49:16 am »

I'm just holding out hope that the real expansion is going to be Vahlen's glorious return.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: July 03, 2016, 03:27:19 am »

I really wish we had an Enemy Within-style expansion instead of the smaller DLC bits in XCOM 2. Even though Alien Hunters + Shen's Last Gift is probably more content than Enemy Within (or about the same, really), Enemy Within felt more thought-out and more like an expansion to the game instead of "new things!!!".

I'm still hoping that there's a secret expansion being made right now, because it feels like 2 bits of DLC (3 including Anarchy's Children) with work ending about 5 months post-release is unusual. It feels wrong to think that they're already working on XCOM 3.

Enemy Within took a lot longer than half a year as well and EU got its normal DLC first as well. There was the one with the French psi lady and the one with Chinese Mafia guy.

Enemies don't just increase in health, those are advanced and elite versions and these always have the same HP between them. I would like some more randomisation so I use a better Advent.

I think in oldcom HP didn't change between difficulty levels but armour did.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: July 03, 2016, 03:34:49 am »

Enemy Within took a lot longer than half a year as well and EU got its normal DLC first as well. There was the one with the French psi lady and the one with Chinese Mafia guy.

That's incorrect:

XCOM's DLC was the Chinese series of missions and that customization pack.

The expansion added the French psi missions, EXALT and all their missions, MECs, base defense mission, Chrysalid mission, gene mods, more gameplay options, Seekers, Mechtoids, way more maps, and probably more stuff that I forgot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: July 03, 2016, 03:35:41 am »

It is kind of why Chiefwaffles that lots of DLC never comes close to one expansion even if they are equal in content. Since cohesion between content makes things much greater then just loose content with no real connection to one another.

Heck the only reason Crusader Kings 2 gets away with it is BECAUSE they are expansions and the DLC is basically a pass to let you use it.

and The Sims 2 had a lot expansion as well, but they tried hard to try to make each expansion sort of hook onto another (something The Sims 3 eventually did...). Something that all the DLC in the Simstore would never create even if you added it up.

---

Yeah I kind of regret this season pass. I waited to play it because I wanted to try the game with all the DLC available.

Yet honestly... This is TERRIBLE DLC... I'd honestly would skip the "Alien leaders" (who are just kind of there... because they writers are hacks who don't want you feeling like a terrorist even when it would make perfect sense... "What? Have missions where you attempt to take out key members of the alien army? No, that is political assassination. No you see the Aliens are the terrorists! See they do Terror missions! Your not Terrorists your the good guys and terrorists can never be the good guys")

And while I personally like the Mech Shivs (not liking that we got to unlock them through a mission as much though)... It is another free floating aspect of the game.

And then there is the Cosmetic DLC and I've RARELY seen cosmetic DLC worthwhile... and OHH boy does this live up to my expectation of being completely superfluous. I don't think I liked any of the costumes offered... mostly because I am not a child who wants to insert the latest cool movie into all my games.

I was giving this game the benefit of the doubt when I got the season pass because I expected the same level of quality that they put into the first game. Yet this feels like Slingshot +1

----

Sorry I am being harsh. I just wanted a good rant, especially since I don't like being let down when I actually decide to put my pessimism aside to trust someone.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 03:39:26 am by Neonivek »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: July 03, 2016, 03:42:45 am »

Ah, then I misremembered the thing about the French girl. I thought you could buy her story separately.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: July 03, 2016, 03:45:14 am »

Ah, then I misremembered the thing about the French girl. I thought you could buy her story separately.

I think they were planning on doing that at first... but I cannot remember why they didn't.

If I had to guess it was backlash from Slingshot which was considered terrible at the time.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: July 03, 2016, 05:48:23 am »

I think in oldcom HP didn't change between difficulty levels but armour did.
UFO Defence, on beginner difficulty, aliens had 50% armour, but it didn't change otherwise.

This was changed for TFTD, where aliens did increase armour with difficulty.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: July 04, 2016, 09:24:28 am »

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 04:09:14 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: July 04, 2016, 10:17:04 am »

Another problem with this kind of DLC is that it doesn't really sufficiently motivate me to start up the game again. It's one new relatively minor feature. A campaign is a pretty big investment and it takes a while to get to that feature, which only covers a small portion of the game.
Doesn't really feel worth it to actually play again just to experience the DLC.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 469