Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724910 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: C-Day
« Reply #2100 on: August 04, 2015, 01:56:00 am »

I constantly want to go "GUYS THEY'RE JUST BOOBS NOT A FUNCTION OF ALIEN BIOLOGY SIGH" but I don't want to interrupt your fun.

I'm wondering at this point whether this discussion has evolved into a form of litmus test that depends upon what you say in regards to the snakes.  What is being tested is a question I don't know the answer to yet.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: August 04, 2015, 02:11:51 am »

You can see it in the whole body-shape, they are human ladies in uncomfortable snake costumes. I guess I just want my aliens to actually be alien, and this is a fairly blatant "we are stamping human bits all over our aliens to give them sex-appeal" that really just, ehh,it is out-of-character. If this was about human hybridisation and human anatomy was a common feature of the aliens, then you could get into that rhythm and suspend belief, but jammed in between the mutons which are kind of akin to slaadi and the crysalids which are like a centaur composed of a Predator from Predator on a Bug from Starship Troopers., the snake-ladies just don't match the theme... I mean, sure, they all have the basic arm+legs+bodies configuration, but aside from that their features are not all that familiar, but in this case they have obviously made the features as familiar as they can without sticking a blatant human up there...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: August 04, 2015, 02:30:55 am »

It is about human hybridization, just look at the sectoid.
I like that, despite almost certainly being part human, the viper still moves and acts far more alien than the original snakemen, who were just... humanoids with no distinguishing abilities and a slug foot.  Yet no problem with stairs, two arms despite being a snake, upper and lower teeth...  The only interesting trait was the hinted possibility that they were related to chryssalids (appearing together and being egg-based, rapid breeders).  Otherwise they were just weaker mutons.

Also I almost forgot how incredibly human-like the original mutons were, heh.

I think Vipers *look* more alien than snakemen did.  Forked snake-tongue, looong tail, fangs.  Very inhuman movement, coiling.
But, it has breasts ::)  I hate it when characters are sexualized as an easy cop-out.  I really just don't see that here.  It's really just that they announced it first and we have so little other solid information, which I guess maybe they did on purpose :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: August 04, 2015, 05:21:00 am »

It is a human female in a costume, you can see her legs...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: August 04, 2015, 05:38:23 am »

I don't think they put boobs on them to sexualise them, I think they put boobs on them to feminise them. To emphasise that they are snake women. And thus boobs. But I haven't felt anything about them has been particularly sexualised until after the whole "snake with boobs! Boo!" became a thing on the internets.
Love, scriver~

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: August 04, 2015, 08:09:19 am »

I actually think they did it to characterize them. SnakeMEN were oldCom lore, but just other mooks with guns. Thinmen were mooks with guns. But what if they were chicks with boobs? Thin-tonguey-snake-chicks?

Whatever.

We can discuss the actual thing if you want. Physiology, abilities, even human conditioning (or alien, this might not be their only ongoing occupation/war), but that's pretty much it. Gender-bending oldCom Snakemen to be more awesome with pixels from previous lore. So boobs and tongues.
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: August 04, 2015, 08:19:49 am »

You wouldn't want to kiss a snakeman from oldCom. But you wouldn't want to shoot them with expensive ammunition either.

NuCom2's snakegirls are terrifying in so many different ways than oldCom's breed. They'll kiss you. They'll get right up in your face. They used to be mooks. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But you will use ammunition.
It's a game. Have fun.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: August 04, 2015, 08:45:16 am »

I don't think they put boobs on them to sexualise them, I think they put boobs on them to feminise them. To emphasise that they are snake women. And thus boobs. But I haven't felt anything about them has been particularly sexualised until after the whole "snake with boobs! Boo!" became a thing on the internets.

Yeah, it's the humanoid torso. If you don't put boob-like lumps on it, it'd look male.

That said, the torso could look more alien, remain slender and leave gender ambiguous. Mass Effect's Turians come to mind. Gender shouldn't matter, to be honest. The alien's name is Viper. Perfectly neutral. It's not like there's any need to justify "Snakewoman".

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: August 04, 2015, 09:17:26 am »

I am happy to accept that it may not be a secualisation thing, but it is certainly something to do with gender. I mean, the mutons do not need an obvious gender. Whether they are eyecandy or femme fatale or adding random females as a misguided attempt at feminism... I guess it is possible that gender is somehow important to gameplay, but they could do something cool like giving one gender brightly-coloured frills or something, or having them look the same but behave differently, if that were the case(and lets be honest, gender will have nothing to do with the game's gameplay).
Read the First Post!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: August 04, 2015, 09:27:15 am »

Or... Firaxis just added snake boobs to troll people that would get riled up by this kind of thing and generate publicity. It's not unheard of.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: August 04, 2015, 09:28:19 am »

Or yaknow, the art designers thought it "looked cool". Like they tend to do.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: August 04, 2015, 09:30:41 am »

Or yaknow, the art designers thought it "looked cool". Like they tend to do.
It's most likely this, with troll as a somewhat distant second. I guess people want to rationalize the snaketits into the context of the game somehow instead of just ignoring it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: August 04, 2015, 03:06:42 pm »

Alternatively, it was just the easiest way to make the Viper obviously feminine. The designers obviously saw the viper that way because of the nature of its moves and the like and wanted to show that vipers are obviously feminine, like they imagined it. And of course the easiest way to do this is to add breasts.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: August 04, 2015, 03:50:00 pm »

Alternatively, it was just the easiest way to make the Viper obviously feminine. The designers obviously saw the viper that way because of the nature of its moves and the like and wanted to show that vipers are obviously feminine, like they imagined it. And of course the easiest way to do this is to add breasts.
Or breast-like lumps.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: August 04, 2015, 08:51:30 pm »

Is there anything obviously masculine about any of the aliens?
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 469