Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 918951 times)

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #5115 on: April 26, 2018, 11:52:42 am »

so I'm going to be DMing for a group of friends that have never played D&D before, I can't lend them my copy of the player's hand book since they live in different states. any tips?
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: April 26, 2018, 12:07:22 pm »

If their local libraries are nice, have them take a look. Mine has some D&D books.

Wow, just double-checked. Mine has books stretching all the way back to AD&D.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:36:54 pm by Mephisto »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: April 26, 2018, 12:23:16 pm »

so I'm going to be DMing for a group of friends that have never played D&D before, I can't lend them my copy of the player's hand book since they live in different states. any tips?
Tell them to google '[edition number] srd'
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: April 30, 2018, 09:04:18 am »

My last bookcase self-destructed. It probably committed seppuku.

After a few months of just having my books covering the floor of my bedroom, I did this.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: April 30, 2018, 09:14:46 am »

Nice collection! Mine runs more towards minis, which I keep in a big plastic tub for easy transport. I typically keep PDF files of key books and use a tablet or laptop to access them at games.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: April 30, 2018, 09:35:55 am »

I don't game enough to collect minis. I mostly just collect books and imagine playing, occasionally doing a bit of solo gaming with a GM emulator.

Now that I'm in a 5e game, however, I'm doing a bit more mini collecting. My current obsession is finding something that looks vaguely like a kobold bard.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: April 30, 2018, 02:14:52 pm »

I personally like to use Legos for minis, but I will admit it gets hard to get ones that fit more nonstandard races like kobolds and dragonborn.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: April 30, 2018, 02:44:47 pm »

I personally like to use Legos for minis, but I will admit it gets hard to get ones that fit more nonstandard races like kobolds and dragonborn.

If a dude can recreate all the stories of the Bible in LEGO, I'm pretty sure you can finagle some kobolds.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: April 30, 2018, 02:49:33 pm »

If a dude can recreate all the stories of the Bible in LEGO, I'm pretty sure you can finagle some kobolds.
The Bible surprisingly had a lot more humans than it had kobolds.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: April 30, 2018, 02:52:55 pm »

Which is why it is obviously an inferior source book to DnD.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: April 30, 2018, 03:00:14 pm »

The Bible surprisingly had a lot more humans than it had kobolds.

Also a beast with seven heads and ten horns, angels, Satan, Job, locusts with crowns, and whatever Goliath's kind are to be called.

Really though, I'm just impressed with how the guy did toddlers and babies.
Which is why it is obviously an inferior source book to DnD.
Yeah, really. Talk about RAW vs. RAI...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: May 01, 2018, 05:49:39 am »

And credit where credit's due, a fair few cleric spells got cribbed from that sourcebook. Raise Dead, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Cure Disease, Water Walk...

I picked up a ton of my plastic minis from eBay, just buying up bulk grab-bags of other people's duplicates. I mostly use them these days for player character tokens if my players don't have their own minis to use. For monsters, I highly recommend the Pathfinder series of cardboard printed minis that come with slotted bases. I have their first and second bestiary, their NPC and monster codex, and the summon monster series of minis, plus the beginner box too. Between all this I can usually find any monster or enemy NPC that's close enough to the encounter to give the players a visual representation of what they're fighting.

Then again, I pretty much exclusively play in meatspace groups rather than online, which I'm told is fairly popular.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: May 01, 2018, 05:55:55 am »

I am torn.. I live so far out in the boonies, in hickville. I would love to play in meatspace, but know nobody in meatspace who plays.

The best I could do would be to drive 40+minutes to the major town, and hit up one of the game stores; but that is how you get the "cliche" players.

RE: Cardboard Minis

This gives me an idea.  You can purchase card stock in bulk from walmart, and most people have printers.  I bet I could make a simple blank "All-Paper" version of those slotted mini cards, for DIY "On the cheap" specials.

Anyone up for me to attempt it? (I have fancy CAD software for doing sheetmetal. Paper is just sheet metal without the metal.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:59:27 am by wierd »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: May 01, 2018, 06:08:57 am »

I am torn.. I live so far out in the boonies, in hickville. I would love to play in meatspace, but know nobody in meatspace who plays.

The best I could do would be to drive 40+minutes to the major town, and hit up one of the game stores; but that is how you get the "cliche" players.

The best way to get non-cliche players for D&D is to get people who don't normally play D&D, generally speaking. If you know cool people who like you, no harm in asking them if they'd be into a game, right?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: May 01, 2018, 06:27:54 am »

Anyone here who's watched Stranger Things? Anyone else who got a bit exasperated with the DnD elements portrayed therein?

DM: "The party of level two heroes continues down the dungeon corridor... Suddenly, Demogorgon!"

Party: *Gasp!*

Lvl2 Wizard: "I cast fireball!"

DM: "Roll to succeed at casting a spell"

Lvl2 Wizard: *rolls dice off table*

DM: "I saw the score before the dice fell off; you have succeeded at casting fireball. Demogorgon is defeated, and you have saved your party"

Lvl2 Wizard: *resolute pride*
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 623