Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 918914 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #5085 on: April 21, 2018, 09:58:24 pm »

Often you can figure it out by looking at the person's profile. ;)

I am a derp. lol

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: April 21, 2018, 09:59:11 pm »

I like all of these approaches, but tend to go for the profile thing first. Because if people are going to define that on their profile I may as well check and respect what they've put there.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: April 22, 2018, 12:52:46 am »

Or do like Wizards of the Coast and switch between male and female pronouns in 3.5, supposedly randomly.
It's actually not always random. Each race and class has an "iconic character" of a specific gender that they use when talking about it. Similarly, the DM is assumed to be female and the players male, when talking about out-of-character interactions. Still, when talking about more general matters, it's pretty random.

Oh, the joys of the Finnish language. The third-person pronoun is one word for humans (regardless of gender), another for non-humans (equivalent to 'it'), and in colloquial speech you can use the non-human word to refer to a human anyway.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:59:29 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: April 22, 2018, 12:55:08 am »

I do recall that the description for the barbarian in pathfinder consistently uses female pronouns for her.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: April 22, 2018, 02:20:40 am »

@smjjames: ha ha, it's alright. Just not used to that, is all. Usually, people assume other internet denizens are guys by default :v

Finished off the secret societies. There's technically no mechanical game impact, but players can spend a few "hero points" (basically xp used only during character creation) on membership in a secret society, which costs points because of all the benefits being attached to a powerful organization costs you.

After the ones I mentioned, I added the Unity of the Brethren as a kind of catch-all for clandestine Protestant organizations across Europe. Afterward, I added a kind of generalized "Sufi Orders" society with the implication that any player who picks this would select an order for themselves, and a society titled "The Scientists of Europe" representing the interconnected web of early modern alchemists, astronomers, physicists, and various other early scientists. Would've just used the Royal Society, but it's about 32 years too early for that :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: April 22, 2018, 03:03:48 am »

Ooh, maybe throw some Kabbalists in there as well, everyone loves the Kabbalah.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: April 22, 2018, 03:43:54 am »

If you're doing secret societies, I suggest using a trick featured in early versions of Pathfinder Society. Each member of a secret society is given a different goal (bring back the signet ring of a certain noble, ensure a target is killed and their remains never found, deliver a letter secretly to a contact) and their actions should be unknown and unobserved by the rest of the group unless they're in the same society. Grant them a bonus to their society's reputation if they succeed, but try to avoid their goals being in conflict; rather, they're each working towards one united goal, but may have extra interests on the side.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: April 22, 2018, 10:28:04 am »

After the ones I mentioned, I added the Unity of the Brethren as a kind of catch-all for clandestine Protestant organizations across Europe. Afterward, I added a kind of generalized "Sufi Orders" society with the implication that any player who picks this would select an order for themselves, and a society titled "The Scientists of Europe" representing the interconnected web of early modern alchemists, astronomers, physicists, and various other early scientists. Would've just used the Royal Society, but it's about 32 years too early for that :P
Why not call it the Invisible College?  It's more a conceit than a real institution, but if you want a secret society of scholars, it fits well.  1628 even comes a mere 3-4 years after the masque that inspired it, meaning the players could even be founders.  First time actually meeting in 1645? Pish posh, that's just the cover story. ^_^

But otherwise, there's the Académie française, or for players in Italy, the brigata dei Crusconi.

EDIT:
I was also thinking, if the players operate in the Mediterranean (probable, given Sufi orders), you could include the Knights Hospitaller and the Barbary corsairs as opposing elements.  This is the era in which the Barbary states are at their peak, after all, and their membership includes Muslims, Sephardic Jews, and even Christians, slave-taking, raiding, and generally kicking the European powers as much as they can.  Along the same token, the Netherlands are still young and still fighting for their independence - the Watergeuzen are a perfectly viable option.  Any of the Venetian houses are viable options; trade, intrigue, and gold abound in the City of St. Mark. 

If this is more Baltic than Mediterranean, the Hanseatic League, while weakened badly by the Reformation, still technically exists, and its legacy will stretch on even after its last formal meeting in 1669.  Here, the Dunkirkers are also running around, causing trouble in the North Sea and Channel. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:41:15 am by Culise »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: April 23, 2018, 10:21:37 am »

Well, Tawa said that it's more or less centered around the 30 years war, so, I'd say more Baltic. Incidentially, the Spanish Empire did take part in it, controlled by the Spanish branch of the Habsburgs, and Spain controlled part of Italy at the time. So, the Mediterranean is an equally viable theatre of operations for his players.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: April 23, 2018, 12:04:33 pm »

While I too am prone to senseless acts of detail, I have to wonder how much of this historical accuracy will be appreciated, and how much will end up as just so many pearls put before murderhobos.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: April 23, 2018, 12:52:51 pm »

Holy Butts. I'm making a Flagellant Cleric, using the Blood Domain from Geek and Sundry. I was looking for spells that were flavorful, and i found Life Transference in Xanathars. 4d8 damage to self? Whatever, I have 18 con at 8th level. And how much healing? TWICE THE AMOUNT OF DAMAGE TAKEN. Holy BALLS, this spell is AMAZING! Lets just say it heals for 8d8 (It doesnt, its better then that, but for simplicity lets say 8d8). Thats healing thats like unreachable for 3 more spell levels!

IS it just me or is this spell incredible?
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: April 23, 2018, 01:00:23 pm »

Cure Wounds cast with a 3rd level slot heals 3d8 + ability mod. Life Transference heals a net total of 4d8 (looking at the entire party). Life Transference has a 30-foot range and is on the wizard spell list. I'd call it situational, not amazing; I might take it as a wizard, but I think as a cleric I'd stick with Cure Wounds, especially when the cleric is supposed to be one of the tankier members of the party and might not afford to lose the health.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: April 23, 2018, 02:21:11 pm »

Ah. I flavored mine after the Flagellant from Darkest Dungeon, chanting of religious mantras and all. Its good shit.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: April 24, 2018, 12:57:53 am »

Half-ogre random encounter stops us in the road to ask three riddles.
"What has a foot but no leg?"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Shut up!  But yes.  Okay:  What goes down but never comes up?"
Half-ogre attacks, critfails.  We pull from our critfail deck, he is confused for a round.  We cajole him to calm down, and ask us the third riddle.
"Uh...  Why I so angry?"

Our paladin's bleeding out now :P  He'll be fine, but maybe learn- naah, we all loved it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: April 24, 2018, 01:20:27 am »

You know what would be a fun encounter? A bridge troll, but he's only asking for a reasonable toll of two coppers per head for use in maintaining the bridge. Watch as the PCs murder him anyway, then have them come back months later to find the bridge in horrible disrepair.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 623