Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 914653 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3135 on: January 18, 2017, 12:03:37 am »

I have a potential plot arc for you--

I like that idea if we're going with an elemental plane powered vessel. The Djinn are one of my favourite planar races (in Pathfinder, though Githyanki are my absolute favourite from WotC), and I actually already have a background with an Efreeti that the players freed holding a grudge against the party.

However, I think if we're going with an experimental stealth airship, I'd choose the Plane of Shadow as a source of power, for a couple of reasons. Spells like Shadow Walk already describe the Plane of Shadow as a great way to get somewhere fast. Shadow is definitely in line with the stealth theme. And for encounters, just slap a Shadow Creature template on whatever you pull out of the manual and call it a day.

If it's a military (or some other big, nasty organization with big, nasty opposition) ship, I'd be more concerned with military-grade magic detection. You can't cast it non-stop, but if you own a castle and are (reasonably) concerned with invisible, flying ships, you can probably spring for a higher grade of divination.

I'm not super familiar with the setting, but "lightning-powered air ship" sounds like something from Eberron. I'm not sure how much they get into the mechanics of that beyond X gold and Y ft/round, but you might find some useful things there. I think the maguffin there is using bound elementals to power their magipunk air ships and trains and the like. That could give you all kinds of conjuration effects if you wanted to go that way -- like subduing minor elementals to restore various subsystems.

You could honestly lift a lot of Star Trek style malfunction shenanigans, however the rest of the ship works. That might give you stuff for the less magical/mechanical party members.
Yeah, Eberron used the Lightning Rail and other magitech stuff like Elemental Airships from House Cannith. It's what I originally based my ideas upon, though a small portable portal into the elemental plane is probably far more convenient than an intelligent creature that wants to get out.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: January 19, 2017, 03:05:46 pm »

"Remember when we were just 'accidentally' burning down taverns in DND?"

I think maybe we crossed a line somewhere, but I couldn't say where exactly :P
And we can barely use our demons as excuses.  They were suggesting petty theft, expensive watches, and inconveniently timed naps.  They hit the MOTHERLODE with us.

I'm glad the Waffle House was still open, though, my character really need 27 hashbrowns RIGHT THEN.  We didn't even kill the waitress.  In fact, she has demonic powers too now!
World of Darkness can be a lot scarier than this, while being a lot less edgy-immature.  We're just having fun with it.  Literal murder-hobos now.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: January 19, 2017, 09:36:27 pm »

I can't remember if I mentioned the 1000-year-old pig eyeball in glass which we got from a voodoo priestess in... pre-Murphy Chicago (along with a mundane copper "green flame" candle and bag of rock salt.)

Using demonic whispers we managed to rite the eye into some random pig we bought in NC, and turns out it had been alive long enough to learn English.
But apparently pigs are stupid enough not to go insane from 1000 years as an eyeball.  He was just a talking pet.  Rather nice, really, saved my bacon once :P
Heh, "talking pet".

Anyway the body "died" in the neurotoxin dealy, but we recovered the eyeball.  I'm thinking next time we don't use a pig body.

Edit:  The rock salt was actually extremely useful.  Not only saved us from a ghost, but we were able to capture the ghost in a PBR bottle and sell it to a crossroads demon for $500 (which is everything we have, now that we faked our deaths).
We are complete trash and it's so much fun!
Sorry, not trash, our characters are complete abject monsters.  One of us literally hit 0 morality and only Captain Murphy's pleasure palace (and an XP cost) convinced them that human strangers can potentially have any worth whatsoever.

We started as trash.  And maybe that's why we went into this whole-hog.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:40:16 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: January 19, 2017, 10:16:11 pm »

The real measure of your morality is inversely related to how hammy your puns are. From the above post, I'd say that your group is definitely composed of monsters. :P
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: January 20, 2017, 02:08:27 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: January 22, 2017, 03:34:33 pm »

You get skill proficiency choices from your class and background (and sometimes race), and they're listed in those entries.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: January 22, 2017, 06:24:18 pm »

Yeah, but then races such as half elves get to choose a proficiency or two.
What?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: January 22, 2017, 06:35:38 pm »

Yeah. If you're wanting free armour proficiencies seperate from class, it's beards and beer for you, my friend, because you're going dwarf.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: January 22, 2017, 07:01:21 pm »

Yeah. If you're wanting free armour proficiencies seperate from class, it's beards and beer for you, my friend, because you're going dwarf.
You have feats that give you armour proficiencies, though. So you can get a heavy armour wielding wizard THAT way.
You can, but then you're missing out on magic feats, which would probably serve you better.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: January 22, 2017, 07:48:47 pm »

Rap, eh. Is he a drow?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: January 23, 2017, 05:47:23 am »

Sleepy cry for help!  DND 3.5e.  Level 5 halfling rogue-or-similar, but meek due to oppressive reeducating police state.  (Eternal Christmas campaign, long story)

Is there a way to do alchemy without any spellcasting levels?  Generally they're required, of course, but surely there's another way...
If anyone knows Complete Scoundrel or other rogue-based books, I'd love your suggestions...  Not sneak-attack-optimization so much, but ways to be interesting and stay hidden.  I'm going to be the skill monkey by far, but it's a three person party - I should do *something* in battle, even if it's something stupid like throwing potions into friends.

Is that a thing?   Been playing Final Fantasy Tactics a lot.
She/they

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: January 23, 2017, 05:53:02 am »

Craft Alchemy is technically entirely separate from spellcasting, and you can make various odds and ends with it that way. If you have a forgiving DM you could probably find many more applications for it than just what the rulebook recipes would imply, though I don't think you get access to Brew Potion and thus miss out on useful stuff like potions of Mirror Image (on the other hand if you have decent UMD you can use scrolls for that, which I'm fairly sure are cheaper). Can still do smokesticks and sunrods and tanglefoot bags (oh dear, do look into tanglefoot bags - great to have a thing where the saving throw decides whether you're screwed or screwed worse, and as a Small rogue you should be great at ranged touch attacks).

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: January 23, 2017, 07:18:12 am »

So I'm gonna be doing a Pathfinder game, in particular the Carrion Crown module stuffs. The GM is letting us Outsider (Native) for making character. RP13.

My question is what does the RP mean? I cant seem to google it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: January 23, 2017, 07:35:21 am »

Craft Alchemy is technically entirely separate from spellcasting, and you can make various odds and ends with it that way. If you have a forgiving DM you could probably find many more applications for it than just what the rulebook recipes would imply, though I don't think you get access to Brew Potion and thus miss out on useful stuff like potions of Mirror Image (on the other hand if you have decent UMD you can use scrolls for that, which I'm fairly sure are cheaper). Can still do smokesticks and sunrods and tanglefoot bags (oh dear, do look into tanglefoot bags - great to have a thing where the saving throw decides whether you're screwed or screwed worse, and as a Small rogue you should be great at ranged touch attacks).
Sorry Harry, check the fine print in the table. In 3.5e you have to be a spellcaster to craft alchemical items.

Sleepy cry for help!  DND 3.5e.  Level 5 halfling rogue-or-similar, but meek due to oppressive reeducating police state.  (Eternal Christmas campaign, long story)

Is there a way to do alchemy without any spellcasting levels?  Generally they're required, of course, but surely there's another way...
If anyone knows Complete Scoundrel or other rogue-based books, I'd love your suggestions...  Not sneak-attack-optimization so much, but ways to be interesting and stay hidden.  I'm going to be the skill monkey by far, but it's a three person party - I should do *something* in battle, even if it's something stupid like throwing potions into friends.

Is that a thing?   Been playing Final Fantasy Tactics a lot.
So you have a few options here, none of which are ideal and honestly depends on your DM.

If we're going straight 3.5e SRD material, you 'must be a spellcaster' to craft alchemical items. Note this isn't the same as 'must have a caster level' or 'must have levels in a spellcasting class' but simply have the ability to cast at least one spell.

So if we're cheesing completely through this prerequisite—and assuming your DM allows items to count—the simplest option is a Hand of the Mage. Wear it and you can cast Mage Hand at will. Presto ergo sum, I cast spells therefore I am a spellcaster. Should be within budget for a level 5 rogue.

Assuming this isn't allowed—a fairly safe assumption but worth checking anyway—the next option is to gain the ability to cast a spell as a Spell-Like Ability. Halflings unfortunately don't gain access to many options here, but there's a few outside of the core rulebooks that can assist. Complete Arcane contains heritage feats such as Spell Hand or Insightful that give you a handful of cantrips and 1/day level 1 spells as SLAs. The Dragonmark feats from Eberron Campaign Setting often grant SLAs. Magical Training from Player's Guide to Faerun contains SLAs too and can offer a few ways to cheese into other stuff, which is fun if you're a munchkin.

Ultimately though, it's probably a waste of time unless you've got a huge amount of downtime and more skill points than you know what to do with. I can't think of any game where crafting skills have been justified in their cost in both time and skill ranks.

Also, unless your DM is pretty flexible with the rules, throwing stuff isn't going to do much unless you're looking to go with a Quickdraw Sneak Attack throwing build. Alchemist fire is a great method of hitting touch AC and dealing Sneak Attack if you have some means of hiding from view (a loophole Pathfinder specifically reworded splash weapons rules to deny). At level 5, you're limited in your options in this department. The soonest most builds can gain the ability to hide in plain sight is through Shadowdancer prestige class at level 8.

Of course if you're totally swimming in gold, you could get the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. 10,800 gold, 10 minutes a day of the Dark template, each use counts as at least a minute or you can pay 22,000 for a constant effect. It's on page 156 of Tome of Magic. The Dark template grants Hide in Plain Sight, 120 ft. Darkvision and +8 Hide and +4 Move Silently.

So I'm gonna be doing a Pathfinder game, in particular the Carrion Crown module stuffs. The GM is letting us Outsider (Native) for making character. RP13.

My question is what does the RP mean? I cant seem to google it.
RP stands for Race Points, a system by which each ability of a race is given a numerical value to represent its strength. It's also totally broken by a sufficient min-maxer, so let's not go down this rabbit-hole. Essentially it means you can choose Outsider races such as Oread, Ifrit, Sylph or Undine which are in the 6-7 RP range, or a Tiefling which has a 13 RP rating and is arguably stronger than the other four. It also means you can't pick Aasimar because they're 15 RP and therefore over the DM's arbitrary limit.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: January 23, 2017, 07:45:56 am »

The GM is gonna let us build down or build up races to RP13. Thanks for the link. Trying to figure out what the acronym means with an rpg game, did not accomplish much. I was interested in playing a Djinn.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 623