Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 914645 times)

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3120 on: January 16, 2017, 08:24:27 pm »

Yeah, no offense meant at all. I've been reading Jojo recently, and I keep thinking it'd make an interesting RPG. (Also Kill Six Billion Demons which has a PbtA RPG, and some explicit Araki influences.)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: January 17, 2017, 03:40:51 am »

Can't go wrong with Blade references if you're doing vampire themes. Either that, or the Count from Sesame Street.

Pathfinder encounter idea: Party hears an alarm in the distance, then a few rounds later there's an abandoned, heavily damaged airship that drifts past overhead.

I want to have a bunch of skill challenges with success being the acquisition of an airship for party transport. Any ideas for the skills that should be involved?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: January 17, 2017, 03:54:00 am »

Not sure how pathfinder's default skills are involved, or what method of levitation the airship would be using-- Both are very important to answering your question.

If magically induced levitation is the mechanism behind the airship (and not lighter than air gas, like steampunk airships would use), then detect magic would GO FREAKING CRAZY when the airship went overhead.  If lighter than air, you would need something like a strong alchemy skill to identify the gas inside the main lift nacelle, and some kind of engineering skill to identify and operate the vehicle, if not assess and repair any damage. I have only played a beginner's "canned" scenario for Pathfinder, which had stock characters-- so I have no idea what skills/feats you would need for a machinist/engineer.  Magical levitation would be more in-character for pathfinder, IMO, which would then be tansmutation and enchantment skills. The magical aura of such a craft would be so outrageous that every spell caster for miles would sense it.

One possible explanation for the "crashing" would be the attempt at creating a "stealth" levitation ship; One that tries to hide the magic aura of the craft so that spell casters dont all go "OMG! MY BRAINS! I CAN FEEL IT IN MY BRAINS!" as it flies overhead. The resulting interaction of the Abjuration effects to dispel the aura could be causing havok with the transmutation nature of the levitation core of the vehicle, causing it to behave unpredictably.  (A fun consequence of this conflict of powerful magics, is that attempts by the party to nullify the random effects of the transmutation based levitation core, is chaotic application of abjuration effects against the party.) This could be a recurring plot device of using the airship, should the new crew decide to try to find a way to make the stealth system work.

There's also more interesting consequences to a "failing" airship powered by absurd transmutation magic enchantments-- eg, consequences for failure of correcting the problem that is causing it to crash.  Wild transformation effects going off everywhere would be lots of *FUN*, and would explain handily why the existing crew bailed the shit out, and let it go far away from where they are now. :P  Also, increases the chances of interesting loot on the airship.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:05:25 am by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: January 17, 2017, 04:07:52 am »

then detect magic would GO FREAKING CRAZY when the airship went overhead.

Oddly enough it wouldn't. In fact if it levitated due to some sort of magical engine... It wouldn't even go off if the person was on the levitating ship.

Detect magic has a few rather stark limitations.

Another limitation is that Detect magic only has a range of 60ft. So even if the entire ship radiated magic... if it was 61ft away from the person using detect magic... it wouldn't detect magic.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:13:57 am by Neonivek »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: January 17, 2017, 04:13:31 am »

Okay, you win major points for the above. I absolutely love the idea of a malfunctioning experimental stealth airship producing a variety of magical or alchemical randomness. I was originally going to simply have it be a badly damaged war vessel that the party gains ownership of through 'maritime' salvage law, but your idea not only solves the problem of why it's abandoned, it also sets up a great backstory to have conflict arise in the future and offer interesting ideas for 'random encounters' whilst travelling that aren't flying monster based scenarios.

For propulsion and lift, probably handwavium magitech powered by a combination of harnessed lightning power (two party members regularly prepare lightning damage spells or effects) so that it can be a way of recharging or resetting the flight mechanism, along with an energy core containing a harnessed conduit to the elemental plane of air, or a pair of conduits to the elemental plane of fire and water to produce steam power.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: January 17, 2017, 04:59:37 am »

then detect magic would GO FREAKING CRAZY when the airship went overhead.

Oddly enough it wouldn't. In fact if it levitated due to some sort of magical engine... It wouldn't even go off if the person was on the levitating ship.

Detect magic has a few rather stark limitations.

Another limitation is that Detect magic only has a range of 60ft. So even if the entire ship radiated magic... if it was 61ft away from the person using detect magic... it wouldn't detect magic.

I have seen some pretty big whoppers of rule relaxations for the sake of plot. In this case, the ship is a plot device, with two competing McGuffins on board. Hilarity can ensue from "ingenious" misuse of these systems.  (Modification of the abjuration based negating system to negate enemy magic, for instance, but causing the ship to crash as a consequence, etc.) If nothing else, having spells go apeshit wrong from having the thing nearby can make up for the lack of detect magic being effective.

One 'loophole' might be that the 60ft restriction is the distance the caster can feel for an aura-- but if the aura is HUGE, then the aura will intersect the caster's sensing area (allowing them to detect it). The caster wont be able to identify the source, but will go "OMG! Huge magic thing THAT way!"-- or, if right on top of it  "OMG! ITS EVERYWHERE!"

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: January 17, 2017, 06:23:10 am »

Yeah, there's precisely zero rules written to say how airships function as a magic item (Caster Level, feats required, spells required etc.) so it's all at the DM's discretion. Plus there's weirdness in any magic world. Who's to say the way the airship functions isn't as a completely mundane ship that just so happens to be constructed of wood that's lighter than air?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: January 17, 2017, 06:27:59 am »

Or the bones of long dead gods or humongous titan dragons from beyond the plane of mortals.
Love, scriver~

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: January 17, 2017, 06:41:29 am »

Actually it's just a regular boat, but when we launched it, it missed the water. So it seems to be an airship now.
Black lives matter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: January 17, 2017, 07:39:39 am »

A funny lampshade nod, would be to have "other adventurer parties" be random encounters when hunting down the crashing/crashed airship, because of the absurd size of the aura in question.  That's a bit like putting a pretty virgin near a vampire den, or a magnet near steel wool.

Followed up by the inevitable rumors that your party gaining possession of the item would cause-- SOMEBODY spent a LOT to make that stealth ship, and if the party gets it working, they are going to want it back...

There's a lot of story potential for this, if you spin it right.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: January 17, 2017, 08:32:03 am »

Yep, totally stealing this idea of the party finding a damaged top-secret prototype stealth airship.

Enemy evil nation lost this airship during testing.

Why?

Because it worked, obviously.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: January 17, 2017, 10:48:56 am »

I have a potential plot arc for you--

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: January 17, 2017, 01:16:58 pm »

Yeah, there's precisely zero rules written to say how airships function as a magic item (Caster Level, feats required, spells required etc.) so it's all at the DM's discretion. Plus there's weirdness in any magic world. Who's to say the way the airship functions isn't as a completely mundane ship that just so happens to be constructed of wood that's lighter than air?

Yep the rules also have that written.

For example though to US Elementals and Outsiders are "Magical"... They however aren't and do not show up with detect magic (unless they have been summoned somehow)

---

Also if you guys are so bent on making it so normally these airships detect as magical from exceptionally far distances by people with detect magic (A cantrip that can be cast non-stop I should add).

Just have it so whatever method the ship uses to fly radiates downward somehow. Like it somehow does it through casting dozens of wind spells.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: January 17, 2017, 08:09:36 pm »

If it's a military (or some other big, nasty organization with big, nasty opposition) ship, I'd be more concerned with military-grade magic detection. You can't cast it non-stop, but if you own a castle and are (reasonably) concerned with invisible, flying ships, you can probably spring for a higher grade of divination.

I'm not super familiar with the setting, but "lightning-powered air ship" sounds like something from Eberron. I'm not sure how much they get into the mechanics of that beyond X gold and Y ft/round, but you might find some useful things there. I think the maguffin there is using bound elementals to power their magipunk air ships and trains and the like. That could give you all kinds of conjuration effects if you wanted to go that way -- like subduing minor elementals to restore various subsystems.

You could honestly lift a lot of Star Trek style malfunction shenanigans, however the rest of the ship works. That might give you stuff for the less magical/mechanical party members.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: January 17, 2017, 08:52:57 pm »

Yeah, no offense meant at all. I've been reading Jojo recently, and I keep thinking it'd make an interesting RPG. (Also Kill Six Billion Demons which has a PbtA RPG, and some explicit Araki influences.)
None taken. Everything gets lost in here, and most of you folks just do as I do and post and not read the others
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 623