Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912802 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #960 on: October 27, 2015, 11:01:33 am »

About trapfinding: since trapfinding is both the ability to detect and disable traps of DC 20+, I think it would be mire fitting to the class theme if it only got the finding half of it.

Yeah. I was considering that but wasn't sure. Might even limit it further to only finding magical traps.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 27, 2015, 11:52:15 am »

All in all I fund the idea of a "practical diviner" type of class mire interesting the more I think about it, particularly for the typical adventurer profession.
Love, scriver~

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 27, 2015, 12:58:08 pm »

I'm not seeing what this character does in combat. How would this class contribute at level 5 vs. a Troll? At level 10 vs. a Fire Giant?

At level 10 they have a few buffs and debuffs. Overall though they're probably crap in combat, at least compared to most other casters. They'd possibly be better as a villain or quest-giver.

Their crappiness in offense and suboptimality in combat support also helps counterbalance their various special abilities and stuff which were mentioned before as being unusually numerous.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:02:23 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 27, 2015, 03:52:10 pm »

It's like the living definition of the fifth wheel. Definitely fits better as a class for NPCs.

You might be better off trying to back-port the Oracle from PF with a selection of the more appropriate mysteries (Lore, Occult, &c.).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 27, 2015, 11:34:45 pm »

How do you think they would fare against an adept or magewright of equal level? If they were significantly better that's arguably the test of being powerful enouh to be a pc class.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 28, 2015, 12:09:37 am »

I meant more in the sense of party role. What role do you see them filling, and why would someone take this class instead of flavoring their character in a similar way while taking another class? It looks like a grab-bag of utility. I described it as an NPC class not because of how powerful it is, but because of what it does: it's the sort of class where you don't want a player (unless you have a player who especially wants to play something in this niche), you want someone you can strap to the BSF's back and point at problems, in the same way that a Healer is basically a living wand.

e: That's not to say that I don't like the concept, it's just that right now it looks like a list of "how many utilities can I fit into one class" and not much else.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:17:05 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 29, 2015, 05:19:35 am »

My level 9 Pathfinder Wizard got a rod of lesser maximize, and I've decided the most horrible thing I can do with it is to learn Explosive Runes. Prep 3 pieces of paper per day with it during downtime, then when we go adventuring use Summon Monster III to summon 3 small air elementals using maximized 1d3 Summon Monster II. Give them the notes and tell them to go over to the enemy and read them. Optionally order them to scream "Death to America!" while they do so.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 29, 2015, 05:47:42 am »

My level 9 Pathfinder Wizard got a rod of lesser maximize, and I've decided the most horrible thing I can do with it is to learn Explosive Runes. Prep 3 pieces of paper per day with it during downtime, then when we go adventuring use Summon Monster III to summon 3 small air elementals using maximized 1d3 Summon Monster II. Give them the notes and tell them to go over to the enemy and read them. Optionally order them to scream "Death to America!" while they do so.

Now if you were a Fire Sorcerer you would be much more effective :P

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: November 02, 2015, 02:16:09 pm »

Feeling some real burnout with my campaign, the ideas are there, but the group is stumbling along.  Not sure what to do to help improve focus, might just be stress, on one or both ends.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: November 02, 2015, 03:48:26 pm »

Can you give any more detail?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 02, 2015, 07:58:43 pm »

Well, I feel a bit unfocused, but really we seem to have hit a lull in the game that combined with the general stresses of daily life seem to be making the game drag pretty hard.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: November 02, 2015, 08:36:43 pm »

Gestalted Mythic campaign: For when only half the group shows up on game night and you feel that game-balance, that fickle, imprecise whore, shouldn't just be murdered horrifically, but should suffer horribly the whole damn way through.

My character was rather half-assed. I've never thought up a gestalt concept before. Not one that I would actually be able to play without damn near all 18s across the attribute board. Kineticist/Barbarian am I. A man wrapped in bandages, with what little skin that is shown being covered in burns, because Pyro-Kineticist. And no real name, with a featureless white mask to hide his face. 'Cuz I'm lazy and unimaginative. Also because a Battle Mask gives an Intimidate bonus, to offset the fact that my Charisma isn't great. The others think think his name is supposed to be racist, so I won't repeat it. Didn't mean it the way they took it.

There's also a Paladin/Fighter who didn't have the stat spread to be a Paladin/Monk, a Magus/Oracle whose backstory is that he coasts by through sheer luck, despite his stupidity, and a Magus/Bloodrager who really wanted to be a half-dragon.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 03, 2015, 01:25:12 am »

My ex-DM is starting a new campaign, with an... Interesting rule:
At every level you pick two classes, and get all the best parts of each.
IE, if you pick wizard and fighter, you get the bonus feats and d10 and good fort, also you advance a full level in spellcasting and your familiar.

I won't be playing, but I'm helping my brother build his character.
And yes, the first thing I said once I understood the rules was to choose fighter/barbarian/soulknife plus cleric/wizard.  If he wanted to optimize.

Since he was leaning towards Soulknife+barbarian... :-X
Addendum:  It's a "mundane" setting, in that the only magic is psionic.  No extraordinary or supernatural abilities will function unless they're psionic.

Just curious as to what people make of the mechanics.  Personally, I'm a little skeptical...  Though the outcome depends on the players, and the DM is great.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: November 03, 2015, 05:18:45 am »

Addendum:  It's a "mundane" setting, in that the only magic is psionic.  No extraordinary or supernatural abilities will function unless they're psionic.

Just curious as to what people make of the mechanics.  Personally, I'm a little skeptical...  Though the outcome depends on the players, and the DM is great.

If the only abilities that function in the setting are psionic abilities, that would mean that Barbarians can't rage, since it's an (Ex) ability. Monks can't use Flurry of Blows for the same reason. Rangers can't use Favored Enemy. Druids can't use Wild Shape or gain an Animal Companion. Might want to clarify exactly what isn't allowed from the class ability lists before you pick your two classes. Probably best to go Fighter/Psion and prestige out after level 5 using all the free bonus feats if he's cutting so much from the class lists.

Otherwise, I'd love to see him go Barbarian/Druid. Raging Dire Bear for the win.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: November 03, 2015, 10:33:32 am »

Is there even a reason for the (Ex) ability tag to exist, from a rules perspective? Because things like weapon proficiency and a rogue's sneak attack and even the monk's perfect self feature don't have any tags associated with them (at least according to the SRD). Is there a point to this other than pointing out that they're cool emphasizing that they can't be dispelled and still work in antimagic fields (just like armor proficiency)? Is there anything elsewhere in the core rules or in a later supplement that actually builds on or references (Ex) abilities in any way?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 623