Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: I told them I could be anything...  (Read 27261 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: I told them I could be anything...
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2015, 05:20:46 am »

Keep reading

Also

try to create a very small gust of wind, should be easy as we are not warping reality or transmuting something. Just applying a small ammont of force to something already there.
+1 we don't need sleep cuz we is badass... Bruh.
+1
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2015, 05:38:05 am »

"I think I'll just sit here and read a little longer," you responded as you glanced between Millicent and the pile of books you had gathered. "Besides-" you paused as you pulled your hoodie on, straightening the powder blue material out as you set the hood down at the back. "I don't know London and my arms and legs legs feel like jelly after that testing session."
"You'll learn to do it with less resistance in time."
"Or I won't, I don't have to learn or do anything."
"Or that, but if you weren't at least curious about what you could do, you'd already be on the train home."
"Assuming you let me leave."
"It's in our rules and regulations, actually, we're not allowed to press people into service."
"It stops them turning on you once their powers are developed I suppose."
"Nah, I'm pretty sure its a rule that was put there at the behest of Queen Victoria herself. Something about a nation that has the choice, should not take the path of tyrrany."
"Oh. Well, I'm going to read, and-"
"Keys."
"Huh?"
"You need the keys to your living space," Millicent stated as she fished out a small keyring for you, one that had a solitary key upon it. That solitary key had a blue rubber cover with a seven printed upon it covering the head, while the metal teeth bore signs of wear and age.
You were far from the first to use this living area then.
"So, it's in the-"
"Block of flats opposite the front entrance. I'm on the same floor as you, I'd be all over telling you how exciting this is, but you look like you want me to be elsewhere right now."
"I'm just tired."
"That's what I mean, your words say you're listening, but your expression says go away," Millicent offered you a crooked smile and a half hearted wave as she turned towards the door, leaving you wondering if you were that easy to read or if she was used to this by now.

Alone at last, you sank back into the depths of the chair, reflecting upon what Millicent had said - not on the place you'd been offered to stay, no, though you  made a mental note of what pocket you'd squirreled the key away within.
With less resistance, you would be able to channel your power more effectively was what she had implied.
Did this mean that your limit when it came to doing this was less what power you could draw from within, and more you handled offering power that flowed into you the path of least resistance?
Just where, if that was the case, did such power come from?

There were no books on the theories of such power here that you could find, that told you either they were out of bounds or nobody actually had any clue where this power came from.
Given the books you'd read so far, you'd put it about equal odds of either being the case right now.
That, or you simply didn't know what you were looking for.

Instead, you struggled to your feet as you looked over the shelves that stretched about the room, your eyes drifting over the various titles as you awaited one catching your attention.
Oh, there was a good one, The Deathless.
That was exactly the kind of title you'd expect from some amatuer writer doing an overly dramatic attention grabber, not from a book that no doubt covered one of the factions.
It wasn't the largest of books, no, and a quick glance inside told you that much of it had been censored, but it would give you some information on... Frankly, if you never met them, you'd be quite happy if they were real life versions of horror monsters.

You flopped down once more as you set the title upon your knees, your eyes drawn towards the pages as you attempted to garner what little information you could that had been left untouched.
It wasn't easy though, as much of the information on their identifying features, their known abilities, even their physiology had been whited out.
Still, you were able to gather that there were a good few types, ranging from the zombie like thralls that formed the rank and file of their numbers. Was that even the right term?
You didn't care, honestly, they could have called their armies kittens for all you cared.
There were mummies, not entirely alike the ones that would have come out of a tomb in egypt. No, many of these had come from peat bogs and other such places that preserved them, they didn't go around swaddled in bandages.
That told you SO much.
No really, you knew they existed, thanks book!
There was mention of ghouls, imposters that often held sallow, aged appearances who wormed their ways into positions of power.
And vampires, nothing like the ones in movies beyond their taste for the vital essence of others.
At least that was what you presumed, they were heavily censored too.
What kind of agency had a book like this, anyway, that was more blank space than text?

Sullenly, you placed the book down upon the growing pile you'd sorted gathered so far before you drew your legs up to your chest.
You were in the midst of a library ran by people with extra-ordinary powers, that wanted to hide the imformation from each other.
An agency, that relied upon peoples apathy to keep them in the dark.

No, you were going to reflect more upon your powers, upon the universe at large.
You knew now if Millicent's comment was anything to go by, that you needed to provide less resistance for your powers, to act like a conduit as you channeled and shaped it.
The problem was that you weren't exactly certain how to do that, given the way you'd felt your power building within you the first time wasn't so much like you felt that you had immense power at your fingertips ready to be unleashed and more... More...
Like everything was breaking down around you as you redefined the laws of physics.

No, not the laws of physics.
You'd tugged on the very fabric of reality.

You could make the sky fall, you breathed mystery.
You were the embodiment of every superstition that people had ever held.

That was MUCH better.

It was entirely possible, you told yourself, to try and do something a little more mundane and see if it was as draining upon you now you had an new idea over how to approach it.
It was crazy, you were already exausted, yet the allure of finding out what your limitations were was a sirens call you could not deny.
You had tasted power and you knew that you were capable of the impossible, that you had power beyond anything that these people dared dream of. Why should you shackle yourself when you knew that you could accomplish so much more than you had already?
They did not own you, they did not have a leash with what to lead you around.

You were your own person, you were a walking impossibility.
The ancients would have revered you as divine and here these people wanted to quantify and understand you.

No, you would cast aside the rules and regulations they shackled themselves with, you would defy the very laws of the world that man understood.
You would kiss the sun and dance with the moon, the stars would sing a heavenly choir for you as you would surpass the mortal shells of those that lived, toiled and died blind to their potential.

It would be the greatest game of all, to play cat and mouse with your very potential.

All you needed to do was experiment with something simple, to see if you could manipulate say, the flow of air around you. A slight breeze, something that required little more than some minor directional force seeded through things.
Force from nowhere, impossible, yet it wouldn't make reality scream and slap you about the face for violating natural order.
Hopefully.
Force, instead of seeding heat into the air to create eddies, to permit you to do this the way that breezes often came about.
No, you wanted to be able to do the impossible, assert your ability to be more than was natural.
Not shackle yourself as some symbol of natural order.

You just had to visualise taking hold of it - of the atoms that composed the gaseous mass you wished to manipulate - and, maybe, you weren't sure, but just maybe figure how you'd push it.
If you focused on channeling the energy through you more efficiently, to avoid resisting it and causing the same fatigue you felt before, then you could put more of it into creating that gentle breeze and, hey, why not do it in a manner you could quantify.
A tactile sensation such as that gentle breeze blowing over your face would help make it clear to you just how effectively you'd accomplished this.

A little force, twirling the current about you, yes, that was how you'd do it.

And so your eyes closed as you breathed out, using that motion as yet another aide, as you commanded the air to dance about you.
To wash about you like a gentle stream of water, to immerse you in its caress.

You could feel the building power within you expanding outwards as your efforts were met with a measure of success, turning you into a focal point for this rotary current you wished to form about you.
And so the air flowed, swirling gently at first as you felt your arms and legs growing leaden in response to the stress of accomplishing so little.
It wasn't as exaustive as putting your hand through a wall, but it was still punishing.
Mental fatigue was fast accumulating alongside that physical fatigue you already felt.

Perhaps this was a good time to stop, you'd just accomplished this and you felt really, really tired.
Like, more so than you could remember feeling in... Forever.

So it was decided, you weren't going to push again, right?
...No more, you'd never get out of the chair if you pushed further!
...Just a little more, you could blow your hair about and stop there.
...One more push wouldn't hurt - much - you could flutter the pages with a gust!
...One fast push and- wait, you didn't push that hard!
...You'd already stopped, why was it getting faster? HELP!

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2015, 11:08:17 am »

One more push wouldn't hurt - much - you could flutter the pages with a gust! One more push and- wait, you didn't push that hard! why was it getting faster?!
Okay, Calm yourself, This is just what happened with the tea. Slow your breathing and let go, relax your force and -Fuck! its not slowing down! Uhm? Ah Shit, HELP!
No more, you'd never get out of the chair if you pushed further...

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2015, 11:22:47 am »

One more push wouldn't hurt - much - you could flutter the pages with a gust! One more push and- wait, you didn't push that hard! why was it getting faster?!
Okay, Calm yourself, This is just what happened with the tea. Slow your breathing and let go, relax your force and -Fuck! its not slowing down! Uhm? Ah Shit, HELP!

Yeh sure why not +1

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2015, 11:43:06 am »

...Just a little more, you could blow your hair about and stop there.

Any more than that would probably be too exhausting.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2015, 12:12:16 pm »

Yeh sure why not +1
+1
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2015, 02:36:30 pm »

Yeh sure why not +1
+1

+1
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2015, 04:17:16 pm »

This was such a bad idea, such a terrible idea and yet here you were pushing your already exausted body beyond the limits of what should have been possible.
While this certainly wasn't the most impressive display of power when you compared it to say, a game character or movie effects, it was you whom had accomplished this and you whom had called it into being.
This was no game, this was better.
This was the real thing and you were going to hone this ability to bend reality over and make it do as you pleased. You would surpass the most badass fictional characters, you would shine beyond the most badass real life person who had ever been.

They would write stories about how you, Alyssa, had been the most spectacular figure to ever grace this planet.

And all you had to do was believe, as it took the edge off the creeping sense of exaustion as fatigued turned into pain.
Oh, that pain was bearable now, but if it continued to blossom at the rate it was setting in at, it would become agonising before long.
You could feel the heat of that pain in your chest as it burst into a sensation of warmth, spreading through your torso as you took deep breaths.

You were calm, you were in control.
The pain was managable.

The pages of the books about you stirred as your ever increasing focus pushed to move the air faster, to get moving in a nice steady vortex about you.
Nothing too special, just a circuit of air pressure manipulated by you that could turn the pages of the open books.
Only... You could feel the pain in your chest blossom once more  as you found yourself out of breath.
Okay, now was a good time to stop, you were thoroughly exausted and you had pain blossoming from the inside out, that was now starting to spread out to your shoulders and hips. Now WAS a good time to stop.
So why wasn't it stopping?
Why did the current of air seem to be picking up speed still?

It was starting to reach the point it was noisily flipping the pages of the books about you and whipping your hair about your face, but you couldn't allow it to get out of your control.
Okay, you just had to figure how to stop this, take a moment to breathe and relieve some of the fatigue and pain you felt, then push to make it cease sooner, rather than later.
It was no different in a sense than the incident with your tea earlier this day, where you had lost control, though that had been when you'd completely relaxed control and gone into a hysterical state of mind. Such a point of view wouldn't help you here, but it did suggest that you were going to have to be guarded in future.
If you could accidentally do this, there would be no end of trouble.

Perhaps a push in the opposite direction - a counter current to oppose the flow that you had going now, would help dissipate the force in play a little faster.
After all, for every action there was an equal and opposite reaction.
Or something.
You should have paid more attention in physics classes.
But it told you the gist of what you needed to visualise, a counter-force to slow the accelerating current of air, to push against the force you'd put into play so that energy would counter energy and it'd dissipate.

It almost took your breath away pushing against the force of the current, but you had to do so despite the way that you could feel pain spreading out like fire to your extremities.
No pain, no gain.
But seriously, fuck this pain, this was horrible, you could feel muscles cramping as if they were oxygen deprived, your joints aching as if they had been punished.
And your skin felt as if you were aflame as you reached a feverish temperature.

It seemed to be working though, it seemed that the swirling current of air was slowing, that you could finally breathe easily, and...
And...
Oh...

Oh no.

It was starting to move in the other direction.
Why, why was it starting to move in the other direction?
Why was it accelerating at such a pace, for that matter?
Had you simply fed more energy into it and told it to turn around or something?
You didn't know how this worked or how you were supposed to stop it!

You were being buffed by a miniature tornado now as the air about you quickly kicked up to gale force, howling as it cast the books about you about the library - as the shelves bolted to the floor rattled and the books upon them were knocked off one by one.
And here you were, in the eye of the storm, wide eyed in horror as your powers went completely out of your control despite your best efforts to handle them.
You were too exausted to do anything about it now as you'd burned all the energy you could muster to try and counter it already, and there was the librarian, rushing out of their corner to yell at you.
Only you couldn't hear a thing they were saying over the howl of the storm that raged about you, you could only tell that they seemed angry - at least until they realised you were staring back at them in wide eyed terror.

And the storm raged all the more fiecely.

You didn't know what you had unleashed here, yet you knew as the librarian attempted to get closer - only to be buffted back by the screaming winds that howled about you - that you would either have to get out of the eye of the storm now and accept that you'd be flung into the shelves, or you'd be trapped here until it subsided.
But here you were, pinned back against the chair, your body feeling like jelly now as your leaden limbs refused to respond.
No, you had to stand up and fight, find reserves that ran deeper than you'd ever found before, push until your body screamed for forgiveness.
The flesh was weak but the mind was stronger.

Your breathing was ragged from a combination of being stolen away by the storm and your exaustion, yet you pushed onward, you forced yourself to start to rise.
The arms of the chair creaked as your weight was placed upon them, as you rose slowly.
Oh, that pain you felt was an exquisite burning sensation that shone brighter than the sun in your mind, yet it was primal fear that had you struggle onward and upward.
You had to do this, you had to escape, you had to survive.
You had to-

...Shit.

Your hoarse screaming was dampened by the winds as you were torn from your precarious position and hauled into the air by the winds that trapped you - briefly - within them as you rose several feet above the ground.
Then, with an almost callous disregard for whom had brought them into being, they cast your form aside.
You twirled through the air as you slammed into the skeletal structure of the now bare metal shelves, tortured metal screaming as the first shelf buckled under the force of your impact and you flipped over it, over the next one.
And clipped the  third row of shelves, as you felt the sensation of heat and warmth blossom inside you in a new manner.
Something was wrong though, you couldn't move, you were simply left laying on your stomach over the shelves, legs over one side, arms over the other as the raging winds continued to buffet you.
You were... Hurt too much, or stunned, you didn't know, you couldn't do much more than-
Why weren't your arms responding to your efforts to move, why were your legs just hanging there, why was-
Everything was going dark and you could see blood - your blood - running freely from... You didn't know if you'd bashed your nose, gashed your face or it was coming from your mouth, you had no sensation apart from that fuzzy wamrth that blossomed within you.
You felt tired, oh so tired, but at least you didn't hurt.
You'd just... Close your eyes...
And when you'd slept this off, you'd get up.

That sounded good right now.

And so you found yourself face to face with... Yourself, with your body as it lay motionless atop the shelves it had landed upon.
From this angle you could see red seeping through the chest of that powder blue hoodie you wore, you could see a gash in it where it'd been torn open by the jagged metal of the shelf you'd slammed into and...
Were you...
Dead?
No, that was impossible, wasn't it?
This had to be an out of body experience, or a delusional dream from the combination of... Everything.

But your efforts to interact with your body were met with no response.
Worse still, as you leaned to look at your face, you could see lifeless eyes staring blankly at the floor beneath you.
"Oh god, my head," echoed the voice of the librarian as they struggled to their feet, clambering upwards as they used the shelves near them as a support. Only for them to freeze as they looked dirtectly at you. Well, not so much as you, as you, as you lay over the shelf. "Hey, are you-" they started as they reached for your wrist, as they braced themselves against the dying winds that still buffeted the room.
"No pulse... Shit. What do I do?" came their fearful words as they brought one hand up to their face, covering their mouth as they took half a step backwards.
"Hey, I'm right here, can you hear me?" you started, only for the woman to take another step back, turn, then-
She stepped right through you.
She couldn't hear you?

Maybe if you focused, maybe if-

"The boss said the LPD c-" came a familiar voice from the halls as the door to the library opened, only for it to be cut short as Millicent's form arrived. "Alyssa!" she screamed, as she rushed over to shelves, repeating the same efforts to find your pulse as the other had, only this time you could see the horror in her expression change to one of denial.
You watched with a detatched fascination as she slapped your cheeks, as she shook you, as she begged and pleaded with you to wake up, telling you that this wasn't a good time to go to sleep.
Maybe you were wrong about her in a few ways.
You couldn't trust her too much given her employment in this agency, but she actually did care about you as a person.

...Though this wasn't the best time be concerning yourself with this.
You had the issue that you were sort of...
"I'm dead... How the fuck do I fix this?" you whispered to yourself as you watched Millicent's efforts to rouse you continue for some moments more before she turned to the horrified librarian.
"Call the fucking medics you slack jawed moron!" she yelled as her anger had the librarian snap to attention, rush over to the phone on the other side of the room and hurriedly start babbling into it.

Millicent on the other hand slumped down with her back against the shelves you lay atop, burying her head in her hands as she suddenly seemed very small.
You didn't know if she could see, feel or hear you, but you figured that if there was anywhere you wanted to be here, it was beside her.

And so you sank down beside her, allowing your growing sense of detachment to calm you as you placed a hand upon her shoulder - reassuringly.
You didn't care if she knew or not, it felt like this was what you were supposed to do right now.

Of course, you couldn't tell her everything'd be fine.
Even if she could hear you, telling her that everything'd be fine would be far from reassuring given you were-
"Millicent, can you hear me?" you asked, wondering if you could indeed  make yourself heard.
Only it was met with silence.
"Millicent, please, it's very important that I know if you can hear me or not."
Further silence.
"Damnit, answer me!" You growled as you reached to pinch her side, only there was no response to this either.

The doors burst open as a team of medics rushed in, as the boss made his way in pale as a ghost behind them.
The librarian, hysterical now over the entire incident babbled their side of the story almost incomprehensibly to the boss, only his attention was drawn away from their sobbing to you.
As in, you.
Not your body.
"Alyssa, your irresponsibility has-" he started in the tone of one trying to assert their authority so that they could command a situation they had no bearing over.
"What the FUCK, she's dead, yelling at her like a fucking idiot isn't going to fucking help anyone you momental fucking moron!" snarled Millicent as she rose to her feet, her one hand snapping up to point at where you lay, as the medics busied themselves about her.
Even as you watched them starting to take your body down from atop the shelves, you could see the mans attention snapping back and forth between you and your body.
"That's... She's stood right..." he mumbled as he pointed right at you. "You can see her, can't you?"
"I don't see anyone there." Millicent's voice came in a measured pace.
It was the calm before the storm once more, though this time a woman was about to explode and a man was about to die.
Or so it seemed, anyway.
"Alyssa, can you hear me?" he uttered aloud, slowly, in the kind of tone someone'd use when trying to talk down to someone with a disability.
"I'm dead, apparently. That doesn't mean I've suddenly become stupid."
"I... Okay, can one of you tell my secretary to inform the LPD there's no issue so we don't need them," he started, before turning his attention back towards you fully " Alyssa, We're going to do everything we can to-"
"Uh, Sir, this is... There's not much we can do here, her ribs have been broken and..."
"And what?" you asked, half turning your head to look at the group huddled about your form. Your hoodie was visible to the side, ruined now with the way it was torn and bloodied, though angling yourself as you could, you couldn't see around them clearly enough to see just how seriously hurt you'd been.
You could see glimpses of your form, bone visible through your chest, a gash on your side, but they were-
"She wants to know what."
"Uh... Okay. Her ribs look like they punctured her heart."
"Okay... Can you prepare her for surgery?"
"Sir, she's not..."
"Historic documents of immortals - such as herself - have told us that they can recover from injuries such as these. Repair as much as the damage as you can to expediate her recovery."
"Uh... Yes sir."

Wait, was that...
Bastards, they'd cut your top off to check you like this.
Oh, this wasn't on.

This was what it took to rouse your ire once more, to snap you back from that detatched and blissful sense of disconnection you felt. It was time to...
...Make your anger known, punch one of them, topple a book case, anything! (Spark power revealed as Dream Walker)
...Tell them to pull those ribs out your heart and punch one of them yourself! (Spark power revealed as Unkillable + Seven Fold Healing Rate.)
...Get up, walk it off and complain that they'd ruined your clothing. (Spark Power revealed as Delayed Regeneration.)
...Take command of the situation through the boss, he could see you, hear you... (Spark power revealed as Divine Voice.)
...Approach this in another manner. (Players choose Alyssa's other thematic upgradable power.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2015, 04:37:49 pm »

Could you give more detailed descriptions of each of the powers

1. Can affect real life while a spirit
2. Incredibly fast healing
3. Don't know
4. We can be heard while a spirit

Is this right? Except for 3.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2015, 04:43:34 pm »

PUNCH THE MEDIC THAT CUT OUR TOP! SCREW INTAGEBILTY! (dream walker)

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2015, 04:52:41 pm »

Could you give more detailed descriptions of each of the powers

1. Can affect real life while a spirit
2. Incredibly fast healing
3. Don't know
4. We can be heard while a spirit

Is this right? Except for 3.

OOC:
1: Starts out as her being able to influence the world mildly while projecting a spiritual form when incapacitated / asleep, can be upgraded to the point she's as strong, if not stronger as a projection. Also allows her to invade dreams.

2: Heals/Recovers a bit faster (flat bonus.)
Starts out only incapacitated by wounds that should otherwise kill her, can progress towards either not registering physical wounds or complete imperviousness in time.

3: Starts out able to make her regenerate serious damage at a rapid rate after a delay, will eventually allow her to regenerate near instantly.

4: Starts out able to influence others, later may allow for her to warp more than opinions (perceptions, reality...) with her words.

Some of these choices may come back later, once she has grown in power - so choosing one now doesn't mean you're locked out of the others.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2015, 05:18:04 pm »

Take command of the situation. 4
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:45:01 pm by Generally me »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2015, 05:19:18 pm »

I vote for either 2 or 3. For preference, 3.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2015, 05:20:14 pm »

I vote for either 2 or 3. For preference, 3.
Agreed.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2015, 05:20:37 pm »

NOOO WE MUST PICK NUMBA 1
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19