Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - Scum Victory  (Read 48009 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - D1: Locker Room (9/9)
« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2015, 07:57:58 pm »

I am town. Is there anything wrong with saying that I'm town?

Loud Whispers, why do you vote me for aggressively scumhunting(in my opinion)?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2015, 08:03:12 pm »

Because in my (limited) experience, shoving that fact that your town down people's throats just makes people suspect you more.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2015, 08:05:36 pm »

I've decided that from every post I make now in a mafia game, I'm going to say I am town at least once, unless it has been proven otherwise that I am not.

I am town.
Does saying that you are town actually make it more likely that you are scum?

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2015, 08:19:46 pm »

I have found that, yes most scum do shove it down your throat that they are probably scum.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2015, 08:21:10 pm »

I am town.

... I'm presuming you didn't mean to say "that they are probably scum".

Arr...

Hiddenleafguy, how many games of Mafia(forum or otherwise) have you played?

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2015, 08:29:25 pm »

Forum: 0 in Real time: half a game. Using alot of stuff from other slightly similar games.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2015, 08:31:09 pm »

Myself, I've been in one BM before, 45. I feel that the experience taught me a lot about holes, digging, and when to stop. Also that 4mask is terrifyingly focused if he sets his sights on you.
When was...
OH THAT WAS TERMINATORS!  Man, that was forever ago.
That was great fun!  Also, I was scum that game, and I am generally terrifying when playing as scum :D

4mask
... This isn't a competition, and that does nothing to help the game.
Hah, no I didn't mean in a competitive sense. I was curious what advice resonated most with him (which is game relevant).
That's true enough.

Loud Whispers, were you disappointed with your role at all?
Say it with me, kids.  ROLEFISHING!
Yes, there are two roles that seven of us are fishing for.
That... was actually pretty funny.  But quick tip to the newbies: don't try to be a smartass with me, it generally draws my attention if I don't know your playstyle.

In this setup? Almost always bad.  Are you trying to bait me into going on a pages-long rant?
I'm not trying to bait any rant out of you (as I'm not sure that would be alignment indicative). My experience in the championship has taught me that there can be big gains from town fake-claiming in a vanilla set-up like this.
True.  I'll grant that I was not part of those games, and as such do not have as much knowledge in that regard as you do.  Carry on.

I'll ask questions later, I'm busy.
I'll hold you to this.
Yes, yes, I'll get to this eventually.  You know I hate RQS, lay off :P

FallacyOfUrist: Here's the flip side of that, though: What benefit does it bring to claim you are town in every post.

Urist McCoder: In your own words, explain the concept of WIFOM and its applicability to mafia games.

Hiddenleftguy: What is the biggest scumtell, in your personal opinion.

Loud Whispers: Which town power role do you think is stronger in this setup, and why?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2015, 08:34:40 pm »

Sorry for misspelling your name, Hiddenleafguy, I'm not sure what happened there.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2015, 08:37:01 pm »

Double chainsaw defence. Ya know, where one scum defends the other scum by voting for whoever votes for the other and the other one does the same for him.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2015, 08:38:36 pm »

Double chainsaw defence. Ya know, where one scum defends the other scum by voting for whoever votes for the other and the other one does the same for him.
Why?  What makes it so much different from every other scumtell?  How would you pinpoint a double-chainsaw amidst all of the other accusations?

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2015, 08:49:02 pm »

As for why lets say Jim and Joe decided to vote on whoever votes on the other one, now on comes Bob who votes on Jim, predictably Joe votes on Bob, who almost calls Joe out for chainsawing but then he realizes he could have plenty of other reasons. Then M.O.D.O.K comes and votes on Joe, which causes Jim to vote on M.O.D.O.K, who then accuses them of double chainsawing, then Obi-wan, Deadpool, and Naruto vote to lynch Jim, closely followed by Joe next round.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2015, 08:50:04 pm »

I am town.

If I'm scum, it generally builds up to a refuge in audacity. If I'm town... it's funny. And it's a good talking point.

4maskwolf, do you not have a strong suspicion as to who is scum at the moment?

Very funny hiddenleafguy. You're missing richard rahl though.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2015, 08:51:00 pm »

Comedy won't help your argument, Fallacy.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2015, 08:53:46 pm »

True enough. I am town.
Next reason: this repetition annoys(drives crazy(oh)) people. Their continued emotional reactions will eventually end in the truth of their statements. Eventually something will slip.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2015, 09:03:04 pm »

As for why lets say Jim and Joe decided to vote on whoever votes on the other one, now on comes Bob who votes on Jim, predictably Joe votes on Bob, who almost calls Joe out for chainsawing but then he realizes he could have plenty of other reasons. Then M.O.D.O.K comes and votes on Joe, which causes Jim to vote on M.O.D.O.K, who then accuses them of double chainsawing, then Obi-wan, Deadpool, and Naruto vote to lynch Jim, closely followed by Joe next round.
I appreciate the humor in your name choices.  This is a best-case scenario.  HOWEVER, it will almost never play out this way, unless the scumteam is incredibly new.  Why?  Because the scumteam knows this.  Scumteams are better at distancing themselves than I would like, which usually means that the town must pick off the individual scum as opposed to the team.

That being said, I'm glad you mentioned the chainsaw defense.  This is one of the scumtells that is under discussion for removal from the list, because of its uselessness in modern games.  As a general rule, take a look at the scumtells on that list, but they are NOT, by any measure, the be-all-end-all of scumtells.

In my personal experience, the best way to find scum is to know your enemy.  If you know who you're playing against, know how they play as town, you can detect anomalies when they are scum much easier.  This is irrelevant to the current game, because few of you have played with each other before, but is important to keep into account in the future.

If I'm scum, it generally builds up to a refuge in audacity. If I'm town... it's funny. And it's a good talking point.
A good talking point it may be, but it also serves as an unecessary distraction during scumhunting.  Generally, it's considered acceptable to assume you are town when giving hypothetical scenarios, but outright saying you are town is... just a tad odd, to be frank.  There's nothing I can say is wrong with it, per se, but if it starts distracting from scumhunting or pissing off the other players enough to lynch you then it's a problem.

4maskwolf, do you not have a strong suspicion as to who is scum at the moment?
No.  It's Day One.  As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as a strong suspicion Day One in a beginner game, because every tool I have at my disposal is missing.

True enough. I am town.
Next reason: this repetition annoys(drives crazy(oh)) people. Their continued emotional reactions will eventually end in the truth of their statements. Eventually something will slip.
Possibly.  But probably not.  You're more likely to annoy the other players enough that you get lynched on shaky grounds rather than actually force someone to slip.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35