Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3826 3827 [3828] 3829 3830 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5922587 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57405 on: October 15, 2023, 02:27:55 am »

Recently I've heard bells music (soundsense), which startled me, because I didn't remember last time I've heard it. I look into announcements, and - my dwarves got married! First time in v50, and in fact first time in many years... Congratulations indeed!

But how could that happen? I have only 270 population, so there's always something to do. Lovers, yes, left and right, but marriage? It seems that although both of these have actual jobs, they are also healthcare workers, and when they don't have anything else to do, they go to the hospital and idle here, instead of frequenting one of the inns or temples.

Strange dedication, because usually the hospital is empty. One, two visitors per year.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57406 on: October 15, 2023, 04:41:56 am »

they go to the hospital and idle here, instead of frequenting one of the inns or temples.
Strange dedication, because usually the hospital is empty. One, two visitors per year.

Do you have a well in the hospital ? citizens sometimes hang around wells for some reason. Especially if it is a high value well.

Meanwhile, in my own fort, I received a migrant who was a... vampire grandmaster milker.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57407 on: October 15, 2023, 06:56:52 am »

they go to the hospital and idle here, instead of frequenting one of the inns or temples.

Do you have a well in the hospital ? citizens sometimes hang around wells for some reason. Especially if it is a high value well.

My wells are located one floor below hospital, though exactly below. Maybe they are confused. Although there are sometimes dwarves in the wells room, and they leave pools of water and partially used soap bars, but they don't do it in the hospital, so only healthcare workers seem confused.

Meanwhile, in my own fort, I received a migrant who was a... vampire grandmaster milker.

Vampire who takes care of liquid intake seriously. I wish I got a vampire for experiments.

Tempest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57408 on: October 17, 2023, 08:48:23 am »

My hospital is a mess, after multiple fortress wide brawls usually started by angry soldiers a good chunk of the population have been thrown into the supply closet for my hospital and just kept piling up even though there were unused beds. Two of the rooms I walled off due to them having werebeasts stuck inside. I left that fortress to do their own thing on their own nothing gets done in there anymore.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #57409 on: October 17, 2023, 11:48:57 am »

Hmm... good question, Wilfred of Ivanhoe.  I'm no expert. Just picked up some tips on the forum over the years.

- DFHack's cleanowned to keep down the amount of worn clothing, then trade it usually
- Regularly dump excess junk and atom smash it maybe 1 or 2 times/year
- Use autodumping stockpiles for crafts that are below a certain quality
- After stockpiling enough of various stones, dump the excess boulders
- Have most dwarves with cleaning turned on (I use Dwarf Therapist religiously)
- Try to keep the dwarves happy, of course
- IIRC I probably have werebeasts turned off in this one, it's a pretty tame fort and all the FB's are dead now
- DFHack's fix/dead-units when dead/missing list gets to several thousand may help
- Keep the number of animals low, right now there are 280 livestock for 626 citizens

I don't know which of these things contribute the most.

(edit: forgot... I use DFHack's workflow thingy (Alt-w on a job in a workshop) to keep production automated and not make too much stuff)
(edit:  DFHack's fix/drop-webs)

I will keep all of this in mind, thank you! You probably just saved me from getting my heart broken again in some future fortress, haha!
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Vilkku92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57410 on: October 17, 2023, 01:45:44 pm »

While the actual population of Spearriddles has dwindled down to 79 from a peak of about 260, the bushmaster population is growing rapidly. If things continue like this, the untamed wilds my dwarfs call home will be populated by a massive swarm of venomous snakes living in the mangled skeletons of their former masters.

Doren I

• Bay Watcher
  • The crown of Stars really makes the outfit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57411 on: October 17, 2023, 06:18:00 pm »

Zuglar Wadedgilt, one of the original seven, legendary miner, jeweler, and engraver, finally succumbed to the rage which had been brewing inside of him since the death of his friend twenty years before.  He threw a tantrum and punched our Chief Weaver Ushrir in the neck so hard it broke her spine, killing her instantly.  The justice system had overlooked his previous tantrums, but murder?  This could no longer stand!  He was sentenced to a beating by Mūthkat, militia captain and close friend of the deceased, who killed him in the same way he killed Ushrir.  A very tragic day in Obotugosh.

Ushrir was the third of our chief weavers to die in this fortress; the other two had died of failed moods involving hard-to-obtain types of cloth.  Factor in how weirdly casualty-free this fort has been so far and it becomes strange that so many of our dead are master weavers.

In another fort, I recently learned that the experiment Athrab's Eyes which accompany every siege can launch an extract across the map which causes your skin to fall off and you to die.  Fun.  I will be dressing everyone in hazmat suits.

pganon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57412 on: October 18, 2023, 05:07:08 am »

The fortress of Girderape has stood for 20 years. Today the military went into the bottom cave again, after reports of crundle attacks on civilians. Minutes after they arrive, Slek Osman Sut appears between the soldiers and the only exit, the nasty sort, noxious secretions. Very close to the squad, just out of sight.

Well, this is a bad situation. I send the soldiers on an escape route, maybe the FB is not too fast. The crossbow crew is summoned, from 135 stories above. This might take a while.

Slek Osman Sut is very fast. But just as my swordsmen are in no hurry, keeping themselves busy with the original task of dealing with the crundles, the FB is heading into the opposite direction, where some magma crabs have appeared. They all die within seconds, showdown is near?

Lokum Mishtemdegel, high master engraver, legendary weaponsmith and grand master building designer, in the military to improve his fitness, turns around. He must have dropped his waterskin somewhere? Cannot find it. It lays under a burning tree. His troop is on the way out.

Well, too bad, Lokum. There are some 35 other legendary weaponsmiths in Girderape. Where is the three-eyed pterosaur? Oh, it is also sitting under a tree, legs and wings burned off, and cannot move. Heroic little magma crab, not even given a name by the gods for single-handedly (single-scissoredly?) killing a pterosaur, managed to set the beast on fire. Along with the entire cave. Lokum got out last minute, coughing but unhurt.

A slab recording this feat will be placed in a prominent location.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57413 on: October 18, 2023, 04:00:58 pm »

What a tale.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57414 on: October 21, 2023, 04:48:49 am »

Heroic little magma crab, not even given a name by the gods for single-handedly (single-scissoredly?) killing a pterosaur, managed to set the beast on fire. Along with the entire cave.

Killing by fire attacks is unfair, because you are not credited for the kill. I had a flame FB recently which literally killed hundreds of rat men in the caverns (burning most of the trees in the process), over a year or two. I had hoped it would keep their population in check indefinitely, but it was finally killed by another FB (made of stone), which in turn was killed by the new wave of rat men. But the flame FB before it was killed had a score of three or four rat men, not hundreds - because fireball and flame kills don't count. The same is for magma crabs.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57415 on: October 23, 2023, 08:40:54 am »

Playing for the first time in a while.

After a water experiment gone wrong [Tried to dam a river. Didn't work just caused tons of FPS loss] I decided to do something a bit more simple, at least initially.

First thing, I got my first ever Preist. I'm still playing 47.05. Never had a temple want a Preist.

Anyway, I'm just setting up my crossbow military to defend from my towers, breach caverns and a FB comes... and I forgot to link up my bridge that cuts off the caverns and have nothing but untained marksdwarves with bone bolts.

But there's a visiting Speardwarf, who wants to Monster Hunt? Sure, maybe he can buy time for me to link the bridge up.

The guy walks up to the FB... kicks it... and it dies.

Granted, it was a snow blob; but it also had a shell, so I expected that to protect it a bit. But no. This one dwarf casually walks up and kicks the FB to death with 1 kick. I know blobs of stuff can be pathetic but... really? One kick?

Oh; and I've captured quite a lot of Gazelles, includeing multiple genders.  I might set up a Gazelle industry.

Edit:

I caught some Rhinos and ended a seige. I started with 3 Rhinos. Then they multiplied. And I caught more.

The bone bolts refused to kill the captured gobbos, so I war-trained my adult Rhinos and set them on the Goblins. Very effective.

The problem is, very shortly after this I had 6 more Rhino calves. I now have about 20 Rhinos, and these things are eating grass quickly. I don't know how old my adult Rhinos are, so I don't really want to butcher them, especially since the Calves take 10 years to reach maturity. Butchering the calves won't give much either.

I have to keep making above-ground enclosures for the Rhinos to graze on and essentially migrate to.

I'm actually having a Rhinosplosion.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 12:52:48 pm by Raikaria »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57416 on: October 23, 2023, 04:51:28 pm »

If you chain up your grazers, dwarves will feed them as if they were wounded dwarves in the hospital.

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57417 on: October 24, 2023, 10:04:53 am »

nothing's really going on in my fort.

i've been somehow addicted to seeing tavern performances (only the pretty ones) and stuck in hours worldgen as usual. because i keep trying to gen a good set of interlinked performances but DF keeps giving me the boring ones.

i need therapy  :'(

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57418 on: October 26, 2023, 12:19:08 pm »

My current fort is normal.  Lots of trapped werebeasts, pants all over, kids causing problems, "accidents", and you know.

Was also playing around with even more mods in a new world save and...did you know there is a RedWall Mod?

Not sure about the Dwarven History... I assume they mean Badger History?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57419 on: October 26, 2023, 02:49:58 pm »

Yeah, a lot of the messages like that dont change based on context and can't be changed. I didn't know there was a dedicated Redwall mod but there are a bunch of animal man civilization mods. With complete graphics sprite sheets. Still Don't know how to make layered graphics actually. Maybe I need a tutorial or something.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3826 3827 [3828] 3829 3830 ... 3838