Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3498 3499 [3500] 3501 3502 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120067 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52485 on: July 04, 2018, 01:01:42 pm »

Some of the dwarf visitors from the invading army's civ are applying for citizenship. Self-preservation measure probably after one was murdered recently.
Is there still that bug where invading armies would cause all your visitors to attack your dwarves?

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52486 on: July 04, 2018, 02:54:43 pm »

I finally managed to generate a world with a large and active population and it was an accident. The fortress of Minebrave has become a hub of trade and tourism, not to mention a model of multi-species cooperation. Situated in a good biome next to an entirely dead ocean the fortress has seen a steady stream of visitors of all types. Most come to drink and dance at The South Dinners. One of the attractions of The South Dinners is the artifact moss opal mug "Colorquick" which caught the attention of an artifact seeker who upon learning the location of the mug applied for a position as a monster hunter and has been beating trolls and troglodytes to death with it ever since.

I had intended to slowly increase the population from a cap of fifty for controlled expansion, I however neglected to decline enough residency petitions or notice that quite a few of them were for entire performance troupes that we quickly reached a population hovering around 160. After five years the fort population stands at 87 dwarves, 49 of which actually came as original members of my civilization. 23 elves and 38 humans, among both races is at least one married couple who are both here in my fort. A human baby boy and an elven baby girl were both born in my tavern not far apart. As I write they're not far from their first birthdays. An interesting fact of note is that birthright citizen ship is a thing in dwarf fortress, none of the parents were yet citizens proper only residents but both babies were born as citizens of my civilization. We also have 11 goblins who's excellent memories make them very adept at learning skills. At least two of the goblins are alcoholics which explains why they came to my tavern, it's literally the only place in the world a goblin can actually drink booze.  By now most of these residents have petitioned for citizenship though there are a few stragglers.

I'm going to built forts within Minebrave so that I can temporarily section our citizens off by race to better study their potential. The first step is of course years of rigorous physical training. In five years the survivors will be the greatest example of physical prowess any of the races have to offer. I need to do some research into how to encourage viable breeding partners to marry and mate, if I have any, and I guess just hope and pray I get a married goblin couple.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52487 on: July 04, 2018, 03:57:41 pm »

Some of the dwarf visitors from the invading army's civ are applying for citizenship. Self-preservation measure probably after one was murdered recently.
Is there still that bug where invading armies would cause all your visitors to attack your dwarves?
It was only one. As far as I can tell, a dog attacked him (or vice versa) then everyone piled on. No other attacks on citizens of the invading civ occurred. But yeah, seemed to happen right after the siege arrived, so probably related.

Or it may be that he was a spy, looking for artifacts and would have turned nasty in the usual way had the army not turned up.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52488 on: July 04, 2018, 04:32:37 pm »

was this really a bug ?
It seems to make sense with some visitors being spies/inflitrators and with their motherland invading army coming, they're using the opportunity to strike from the inside, it does not sounds like a bug.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52489 on: July 04, 2018, 04:50:17 pm »

was this really a bug ?
It seems to make sense with some visitors being spies/inflitrators and with their motherland invading army coming, they're using the opportunity to strike from the inside, it does not sounds like a bug.
Narratively it worked for me. I'd think you'd want a message or something if the entire visitor population suddenly turned hostile though.

Or perhaps not. The sudden random attacks may be converted into specific assassination attempts in the next couple of updates. That should be Fun.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52490 on: July 04, 2018, 05:07:46 pm »

Ah, my earlier failure of a 80 dwarf to 15 goblin battle has been redeemed. My 20 dwarf military has just absolutely wrecked a goblin siege full of trolls and beakdogs. AND it all happened on the eve of getting a Baron. #Legitimized
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52491 on: July 04, 2018, 07:29:33 pm »

guys help I inadvertently sent out my mayor, captain of the guard, and champion (well, the latter two were intended) to conquer a place four months ago. They finally did it, but now I can't appoint a new mayor/recall them because I don't already have a mayor. In other words: do I retire/unretire the fort, wait for a new update, or just commit soy sauce and activate the incomplete knockoff TOKAMAC and hope it backfires as intended?
Or I suppose I could just leave the game running overnight with a megaproject underway and hope their stress finally boils over into berserker rage while my remaining part-trained home guard is either "pillaging" a goblin fort with a demon (pre-planned mission, can still assign squads) or fighting that GCS sealed off in the lower cavern.

EDIT: issue resolved itself, when a preplanned mission was completed the positions reopened and I can retrieve the squads.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:43:45 pm by weiserthanyou »
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52492 on: July 04, 2018, 08:07:56 pm »

I finally managed to generate a world with a large and active population and it was an accident. The fortress of Minebrave has become a hub of trade and tourism, not to mention a model of multi-species cooperation. Situated in a good biome next to an entirely dead ocean the fortress has seen a steady stream of visitors of all types. Most come to drink and dance at The South Dinners. One of the attractions of The South Dinners is the artifact moss opal mug "Colorquick" which caught the attention of an artifact seeker who upon learning the location of the mug applied for a position as a monster hunter and has been beating trolls and troglodytes to death with it ever since.

I'm going to built forts within Minebrave so that I can temporarily section our citizens off by race to better study their potential. The first step is of course years of rigorous physical training. In five years the survivors will be the greatest example of physical prowess any of the races have to offer. I need to do some research into how to encourage viable breeding partners to marry and mate, if I have any, and I guess just hope and pray I get a married goblin couple.
Once you have a preserved goblin race within a bunker in your fort, begin the totalitarian conquest of all who do not trade with ye.
Also wait did you mod the goblin civs to be neutral/friendly?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52493 on: July 04, 2018, 11:06:16 pm »

Once you have a preserved goblin race within a bunker in your fort, begin the totalitarian conquest of all who do not trade with ye.
Also wait did you mod the goblin civs to be neutral/friendly?

No goblins can be peaceful members of friendly civilizations now. Just like dwarves and others could be hostile members of goblin civs because of baby snatching. Now they can immigrate. My goblins all arrived with mixed species groups of traveling performers, they don't seem to come on their own very much. This is the first time I've ever managed to get this many and believe me I've tried. There are five goblin civilizations in my world at least two of which I'm at war with. Just glancing at one of my goblin militia commanders he seems to have dual citizenship with one of them and my civ. Perhaps one day his loyalties will be tested in battle.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52494 on: July 04, 2018, 11:46:26 pm »

Sent a squad off to raid an elven retreat. Three of them are now listed as prisoners, presumably the rest were killed.

Fort is prospering. Ive cheated like a weenie to do it though. I have another squad of better trained soldiers and their war giant honey badgers to send on a rescue mission. Enough pop to finally land a barony, once i get it, and most of my megaproject is complete; digging square buildings out of the surrounding terrain and dropping a section of it five stories down to make an outdoor park in otherwise solid rock.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:57:52 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52495 on: July 05, 2018, 01:05:49 am »

Wait, what.
A squad was massacred and captured by the tree-humpers? Did they have a load of big dangerous animals like giant leopards?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52496 on: July 05, 2018, 01:42:46 am »

This damn clothier is getting on my nerves. Don't know what the hell to do to keep her from getting more and more pissed off at the world, and she's starting to throw fits. Getting really annoyed; trying to build a temple to her preferred deity, but that takes time. So does building a dining hall.
Start with a dining hall. Clothes take a while before they completely rot away. :)

viveret

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52497 on: July 05, 2018, 01:43:54 am »

So, uh, this happened.

The report seems to have gone away for now, but the troll attacked a recruit who was unarmed at the time. Presumably going to get his weapons and armor, I was convinced he was going to die against a creature supposed to be four times larger than him.

Then this happened.

There were nine pages of combat log, all of it a brutal beatdown that Armok would approve of.

The troll's body was covered in its own vomit, and the dwarf managed to keep beating the troll into unconsciousness just in time for one of my axedwarves to coup-de-grace its bruised body.

(also first post yay)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52498 on: July 05, 2018, 05:24:30 am »

The end is nigh.
Watching the dwarven army outside break down in insanity over the course of a year long siege was highly amusing. Alas it seems that half the visitors who were stuck outside all that time are also insane.
When the front gates opened, they all rushed the library in their desperate attempts to discuss fouled water, but now a bunch of them are tantruming. Dorf scholars are throwing granite bookcases at each other. I don't think this is going to end well.

--edit
Well, the library calmed down. Except for a small gang of damn dwarf scholars who decided to beat up my resident human monster slayer. Have discovered that monster slayers can use the hospital anyway.

Her nose is gone, her upper front teeth is gone, her upper right back teeth is gone, her lower right back teeth is gone, her left ear is mangled beyond recognition, her neck is torn open, her head is torn open...

Goddamit. Time for a vote on how much magma to apply to all visiting dwarves.
(Playing a modded race of "wild dwarves", almost entirely alike from an outside point of view, but we don't put up with crap like this from regular dwarves).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:53:41 am by Shonai_Dweller »

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52499 on: July 05, 2018, 12:24:50 pm »

Using a Monster Hunter as bait for my silk farm.

He's constantly alarmed.

His thought : "I wish to make something. It's frustrating"

A true dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 3498 3499 [3500] 3501 3502 ... 3842