Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3403 3404 [3405] 3406 3407 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099311 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51060 on: November 30, 2017, 03:28:40 pm »

Well, this is bad.

I pissed off a nearby cannibal civ by stealing their artifact toy. However, now my military is out of commision due to several fights with saurians and their reanimated corpses (evil tundra). If the cannibals siege me at this point I'm pretty boned.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51062 on: November 30, 2017, 06:22:18 pm »

Just did a Legends dump, and found out some very interesting things.

For one, both goblin civilizations seem to have been placed in the "Fallen Civilization" category, along with a Dwarven civilization and one of the Elves.

There are still about 400 goblins left, however. So I won't feel too bad about launching raids, soon, against their strongholds.Though I will probably be starting off by raiding the kobolds. There are 3 civs of them, each with 100+ kobolds apiece.

Maybe I can even get them to raid me.

My Armorer is legendary now, and is pumping out Bismuth Bronze Masterpiecesi quite regularly. I'm trying to buy all the iron/steel I can from the humans. My Weaponsmith is probably a little rusty at this point, so I'm gonna need to start pumping out some more Masterwork Bismuth Bronze short swords.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51063 on: November 30, 2017, 07:01:20 pm »

I am fighting with pedestals.  I have an artifact that displayed correctly as on a pedestal... once.  I took it off, foolishly, because I wanted to replace the iron pedestal with a platinum one since my fort is swimming in platinum.  Now it won't display, and it breaks the pedestal to try.  Until I remove the pedestal, even when I clear it, I get spammed nonstop Job item lost or destroyed messages.  It's insanely annoying.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51064 on: November 30, 2017, 07:30:03 pm »

I created a new fort in the new version in a terrifying biome. Being aware of some of the possibilities of evil weather, I dug down right away and set up a burrow and an accompanying alert to instruct everyone to take cover in the event of any sightings, which paid off when a few clouds crawled across the map in quick succession shortly after. Of course, I couldn't just settle for staying safe from it, I had to know exactly what it did, so I put my otherwise not very useful wagon animals in a pasture above ground, and waited for a cloud of "accursed ash" to drift over them. This is what it did to the horse after just the edge of the cloud started covering it:

Suffice to say, neither of them were alive by the time the cloud passed them.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51065 on: November 30, 2017, 07:48:11 pm »

I am fighting with pedestals.  I have an artifact that displayed correctly as on a pedestal... once.  I took it off, foolishly, because I wanted to replace the iron pedestal with a platinum one since my fort is swimming in platinum.  Now it won't display, and it breaks the pedestal to try.  Until I remove the pedestal, even when I clear it, I get spammed nonstop Job item lost or destroyed messages.  It's insanely annoying.

That's a confirmed bug at this point. I'm hoping it'll get fixed soon, and until then I'm planning my museums very carefully.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51066 on: November 30, 2017, 08:22:42 pm »

Hmm. My woodcutter is a wannabe monster slayer apparently. Having had quite enough of being rained on by abhorrent filth, he's now on 'no job' and rather than hanging out in the tavern he's hunting crundles in the caverns.

I'm fine with this, the caverns are open and waiting for visiting monster slayers after all, but I wonder if he's supposed to be acting like this...

--edit

Ha ha ha. Just took a look at his thoughts:
"He is a coward, completely overwhelmed by fear when confronted with danger. He is currently more fearless..."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:25:37 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51067 on: November 30, 2017, 09:05:37 pm »

So we just had a bit of a brawl in our tavern...  The blood. So much of it. Everywhere. :o

I'm shuttering the doors to outsiders until we get this mess cleaned up.

I bet that damn rooster instigated it...  :-\

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #51068 on: November 30, 2017, 09:20:27 pm »

Started my first v44 fortress a few days ago. Three years went by without so much as a beast attack, let alone an ambush. I even looted a human civ several times and antagonized several dark pits without any repercussions. Though, to be fair,, I'd unwittingly settled in a relatively small area in he world (realized that only once I plotted my first raid/got my metal industry kicking three quarters through the first year). Moreover, I refused to touch the caverns, though only as a matter of preserving FPS.

Looking for more fun, I tried my first foray into an evil biome. Come the first autumn, and my entire fort got killed off by a flock of giant sparrow corpses. I got way too greedy in trying to wall off most of the surface too early. But this really all started due to not accounting for the packs of (non-undead) giant vultures and giant monarch butterflies that scurried about, of which caused my dwarves to scatter to the trees. Production ground to a halt, my hatch covers were left unattended, and things spiraled out of control from there.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:26:14 pm by ShinQuickMan »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51069 on: December 01, 2017, 12:31:32 am »

My fortress saw the coming of a wereape.

I thought that it was again going to be a case of the monster turning into a human a few seconds after spawning on the map, but anyways, let's send a kill order to the main squad to see if they can catch the thing before he run away after he turned back human.
Didn't bothered to watch, i was busy waiting for the completion of an interior well after having done a system to get the 3 z level under it filled by river water.

Some time after , noticed a message about a dwarf being dead.
Checked what was going on , i understood the problem.

Now that's going to be a fun fort as it started to become boring with nothing interesting or dangerous happening since the beginning.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #51070 on: December 01, 2017, 01:37:33 am »

-snip-
Never underestimate the raw destructive power of a butterfly.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51071 on: December 01, 2017, 02:20:36 am »

o.0

kid.

what did...

WHAT?

four Orange Wood Logs. Nickel Bars. like 3 things of Leather. 16 bones. Pig Iron. Goshenite (gem).

for a RING?

I

I don't

how.....did you cram all that stuff into a tiny little ring?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:33:53 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51072 on: December 01, 2017, 02:26:02 am »

Maybe it's a very large ring.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51073 on: December 01, 2017, 02:34:33 am »

First 44.02 fort has been going on nicely, until I decided to make the bloody channel more full, as the dwarves would spam the "no water source" readily enough as the depth fluctuated between 2-5. So, I build an automated pump to the stream, two waterwheels and two pumps with axles to transfer power. Except the whole damn contraption manages to flood everything within 2 frames as I put the axle to wrong end, and floods the surrounding desert too as no dwarf is insane enough to finish the containment wall. End result- 9 dead dwarves as I desperately attempt to just tear the bloody thing down. All drowned to the channel due water pressure. Next project will also be fun- obsidian casting to retrieve stuff from the channel :) These projects really keep the pop count down.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51074 on: December 01, 2017, 06:26:04 am »

Artifact hunters seem to be keeping to a reasonable number (around 50), but, what's this, they're multiplying! Damn visitor babies crawling all over my tavern. Did they ever do that in .43?
Pages: 1 ... 3403 3404 [3405] 3406 3407 ... 3842