Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3401 3402 [3403] 3404 3405 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099310 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51030 on: November 28, 2017, 06:12:11 pm »

Finally. I have a map with unicorns. I've played mirthful maps before, but in more than 10 years of DF, they've always eluded me.
Now a nice herd of six U's wanders around my map.

Obviously, I need to capture and tame them, so I can start a unicorn soap factory.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51031 on: November 28, 2017, 06:48:37 pm »

Our failed mood finally croaked, dehydrating to death in the library. I like to imagine he was writing the cringiest emo poetry when he went due to his melancholy. I had foreseen civilian deaths, so I've already got a coffin set up for the poor bastard.

The upper battlements of my wall is also now coated with vomit; anyone doing a flyby might mistake the upper floor for being made of olivine, which is irritating.

A chef is working on some leather artifact, and we now have several weaponmasters after a year of training and brutalizing multiple goblins, humans, and beakdogs, as well as a few trolls - speaking of which, one climbed up through a mined out silver vein and was murdered by the fort's resident bard-turned-swordsdwarf I labeled as a Warrior-Poet - netting us 2 axe lords, a hammerlord, a mace lord, a spearmaster, and two swordmasters.

We've also got two sprog among the 22 reach adulthood, and I've finally gotten a proper stock area for wood and fuel stones.

Fighting cave adaption has also been somewhat difficult, since I have sufficient lodging for everyone.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51032 on: November 28, 2017, 06:49:29 pm »

.....wait. what the hell?

"Yoretwinkle, the Land of Weathering" a Dog Bone Pick.

This is a Dog Bone Pick of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of dog bone. On the item is an image of Splatteredfights the gypsum tablet in Fire Clay.

.....WHAT?

you can have bone picks now?

that's.......AMAZING.

As soon as the puppies age up next summer or so, and trained for war, they will all (except for ~6-8 of the best statted breeding mothers/fathers) be sent off to reclaim Splatteredfights. Then any survivors will be sent after the world's other slab.

BAHAHAHA.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51033 on: November 28, 2017, 06:53:26 pm »

.....wait. what the hell?

This is a Dog Bone Pick of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of dog bone. On the item is an image of Splatteredfights the gypsum tablet in Fire Clay.

.....WHAT?

you can have bone picks now?

that's.......AMAZING.

As soon as the puppies age up next summer or so, and trained for war, they will all (except for ~6-8 of the best statted breeding mothers/fathers) be sent off to reclaim Splatteredfights. Then any survivors will be sent after the world's other slab.

BAHAHAHA.

Only artifact picks can be made of bone. Normal ones have to be made of an acceptable metal.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51034 on: November 28, 2017, 06:54:08 pm »

An artifact Pickaxe is rare, but does have precedent.  In theory, a Dwarf can create any object out of any material when Moody.  I once had a Black Diamond Door & Bitmus Coal Millstone.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51035 on: November 28, 2017, 08:41:06 pm »

Finally. I have a map with unicorns. I've played mirthful maps before, but in more than 10 years of DF, they've always eluded me.

Obviously, I need to capture and tame them, so I can start a unicorn soap factory.

I don't think you can tame Unicorns without modding.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51036 on: November 28, 2017, 08:42:49 pm »

"Mum?"

"Yes, Ingist?"

"... Dad's been gone a long time, hasn't he?"

"Yes, Ingist.  The Dark Pits are a long way away.  I'm sure he will be back any day now with that book they stole."

"... Mum?  What if he doesn't come back?"

"Don't be silly now, or worry your little beard about it.  He will be back, just wait and see."  *very worried look*
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51037 on: November 28, 2017, 09:06:29 pm »

I don't think you can tame Unicorns without modding.
Although Unicorns can't be tamed by default, you can still breed them, kindof.  Any critter on the map, from Clowns to Unicorns to Magma Crabs, if left alone long enough, will reproduce.  Capturing them is easy enough.  The real challenge here is building a contraption that will allow you to separate and slaughter only a few at a time, while leaving the rest of the herd intact.

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51038 on: November 28, 2017, 09:19:05 pm »

It’s great to see so much activity around here!

I’m looking forward to trying the new version, but I have old forts I want to finish off first, including one on a volcano with a shiny new obsidian tower. It’s almost ready for the dwarfs to move in, but currently all the kids are “camping” outside in a field with a booze stockpile, to force them to get over their cave adaptation. Or at least empty their stomachs before they go inside.

Also, the scholar in this fort wrote a book on embryonic development just before she gave birth. It was probably a coincidence (she cranked out about twenty books on random topics), but as coincidences go it was pretty sweet. She’s been honoured in two artifacts so far, too.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51039 on: November 28, 2017, 10:32:04 pm »

A (webbing) Forgotten Beast has appeared!

We are preparing her cage as we speak. It will be a temporary location, and we may have to sacrifice one of the last dwarves that migrated to the fort to actually capture it. However, we are dedicated to our goal of capturing all Forgotten Beasts, instead of killing them.

Plus I've never had a captured, webbing, forgotten beast before.

so that will be fun.

I just have to make sure that the beast hunter human stays the hell away from it.

We are building a series of hallways, bridges, and preparing a number of fowl to be sacrificed. Our Artifact coffer may be used, as well.

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51040 on: November 28, 2017, 10:38:47 pm »

Good luck on the capture job!

I think there's a vampire in our midst. Someone came up for fishing and there's nothing indicating injury or infection, and he apparently experienced trauma recently. Perhaps our founder didn't disappear, but fell victim to foul play.... In which case regardless, WHERE THE HELL IS HER CORPSE!?

In other news, the Silver Doors are due to assault the elves holding a dark goblin fortress. Hopefully being psychotically violent sociopaths will let them carry the day against 75 potential foes.

BREAKING NEWS: The Silver Doors managed to not only reach the site unhindered, but slipped in and ransacked thier library before absconding not only with the two supposed books there, but three others unknown to the fortress as well! Top work lads, this ought to bring us some new friends soon. And since they're back, I think I can deploy the Walls to a forest retreat nearby, give the twi wander-prone dwarves a chance to stretch thier legs and maybe take a few heads along the way.

EDIT: The Walls return, with out any casualties, and with the sole book purported to be present in the hands of none other than Ral McCrippleArm - Though the squad was spotted while slipping out, and the elves declared war as a result. Hopefully the lead coins, wood offerings, and having someone rifle through thier shit will make the coming spring quite pleasant.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51041 on: November 29, 2017, 12:36:55 am »

so....some slight issues with capturing the FB.

It has fought off trogs, a GCS (*cries*), Giant Toads, and more. It has also killed off our Stonecrafter/Detailer/Mason. Because he was going for something for some stupid reason. He is NOT going for the puppies, for some reason.

PLLUS it insists on hanging out in a 10x10 area of the map, that is heavily walled, and not moving further from the edge of the map than that.

A network of sacrificial puppies (that has been pre-raided by a Giant Toad >.< ) on ropes has not succeeded in luring the Forgotten Beast away to its new, !!funner!! home.

Next up: A trail of levers, tables, and doors to lure him into the cage (a passageway with two raising bridges), to be stored there until a proper cage can be built out of Masterwork windows on the one side--shit, no, can't do that. Unless it can't reach them because of a gap?

anyway, a cage for the FB zoo I'm setting up. Also titan/(semi-)Megabeast zoo.

a disposable dwarf (#21/2 or so out of the 21/2 adult dwarves (4 kids, and 1 human monster hunter)) has been using a disposable pick to slowly clear walls so the FB can see the snacks puppies hor derves hor dervishes we have prepared for him.

.....has anyone else gotten AMAZING frame rates this time around? I'm consistently at ~49-50 FPS, 2x2 embark, small (or whatever is one step above pocket) world, 10 civilizations, year 2. lots of pets roaming around, lots of corpses.....

huh.

NOT complaining.

EDIT: it chased some Dralthas, and now it's hanging out in front of the doorway after slaughtering a puppy......EIGHT BLOCKS AWAY FROM THE BRIDGE.

with 2-3 puppies in view, and 1-3 levers (1 puppy outside, the rest inside the cage)

Time to sacrifice a dwarf.  I am assigning a new puppy to be put onto the rope it's hanging out next to.

it better not be one of the parents.

.....am I also the only one who has been having more kids this time around?

BAHAHAHAHAHA.

FORGOTTEN BEAST ACQUIRED!

The Forgotten Beast Otira Apa Lini (The Paddle of Cats) has been captured. A gigantic fantail with external ribs. It has three narrow tails and it has a bloated body. Its dark blue feathers are patchy. Beware its webs! Also buy our merchandise! We've got Paddle of Cats plushies, Paddle of Cats ice cream.....

we're working on a web-powered Paddle of Cats flamethrower (for the kids), but we need a fire breathing forgotten beast for that.

Medical Report:

It left upper leg is cut open. Its left upper leg is bruised. Its left lower leg is cut open. Its neck is cut open. Its head is cut open. Its head is dented. Its right wing is dented.  Its lower body is dented.

Medical Report, Supplemental: If it dies because of an infection I am going to be PISSED. webbing FB that is also the first of our Mega-Zoo DYING on us?

Work is beginning to build exploratory sacrifical shafts to all areas of the caverns so hopefully the next one won't be quite as damaged.

Elves have brought a breeding pair of Giant Wild Boars.

woo. Hopefully they're not ace or gay.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:49:47 am by Maul_Junior »

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #51042 on: November 29, 2017, 10:53:14 am »

In 251 a Minotaur showed up at Washedrocks and proceeded to... just stand there. He just watched our fort menacingly for like six months (occasionally murdering a swan and mean-mugging travelers) before a wereape came by and ripped its head off. Now in the winter of 252, a bronze colossus has appeared. Except he's been stuck in a tree for about three weeks..

Not sure if we are lucky or maybe our fortress just appears impregnable.

EDIT- There's also a Yeti at my trade depot. He looks like he's just posted up as well.

EDIT2- That asshole destroyed my trade depot! He's gonna die for that.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:39:08 pm by Stealtharcadia »
Yeah yeah yeah!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51043 on: November 29, 2017, 01:22:10 pm »

Fall caravan comes, and it is due to depart with the spoils of war- bins laden with beak dog bone goods, the proof of our victory - and a truly massive offering of nearly 7000 money in gold, silver, and copper coins. We have also selected our baron, whose appointment will take effect in a month or two, when the liaison actually departs to inform the High King of our acceptance. His desire to be a legendary warrior makes him excellent for a modded dwarfdom whose lords are expected to lead their fellow dwarves into battle.

I'e also opted to give the militia a little time off this season, since the arrival of the caravan kind of precludes a siege from the goblins (as the only eligible attackers for the next two months to my knowledge.) They've earned it after kobolding the shit out of the elves and goblins.

EDIT: unfortunately for me, I now have an unkillable werebeast in my employ, as she recovered enough without medical aid to clamber out of her would-be execution chamber following infection by a werebull - The only other victim was swiftly put down the same way the last surviving bite victim of a werehorse was - by liberal application of silver ore and gravity, and for thier bravery (and soaking up all the injuries that would have gone to soldiers,) they join two other "Civil Heroes."

I'll have to provide the former sergeant (I've replaced her with a marksdwarf migrant,) with some basic materials - A pick, hatchet, and anvil - and exile her to the caverns to seek her own fate where she can do no harm to the dwarves above. There are rumors of a forgotten one below slaying the local tribes in artwork, so perhaps she can at least find glory there.

Merlota

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51044 on: November 29, 2017, 02:33:02 pm »

One of the 200 some of monster hunters hanging out in the visitors tavern gave birth (human).  The infant immediately made a beeline to the zone edge, mom stayed behind.
Pages: 1 ... 3401 3402 [3403] 3404 3405 ... 3842