Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3402 3403 [3404] 3405 3406 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099155 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51045 on: November 29, 2017, 05:01:58 pm »

I may actually be able to do a generational fort in this version.

In v43.xx I rarely got one kid.

now I've got two dwarves that cannot stop pumping out the kiddos. And artifacts. I am going to try to build my fort around them, with a primary family, migrants, and others that get the work done while the prime families get to follow their preferences as much as possible.

In this family alone, Fath Shellarbor (creator of Yoretwinklle the Land of Weathering)--currently dual-wielding dwarven babies--and her husband, Melbil Coalpleat (creator of Guardheavens the Unseen Winter), are the parents of 4 of the 6 children that have been born to our fortress:

Ral Stoppedmountain (Age 2, Slate 6th Spring Year 3, daughter and just-now-declared Heir to the Fortress. Future Noble and.....Bracelet maker?)
Kubuk Shadykeys (Age 2, 27th Opal Winter Year 3, creator of Nastyfill the Future Floor, daughter. Future Legendary Weaponsmith, Leatherworker [Short Swords, Quivers])
Thob (9 Months [Granite 3rd, year 5], son. Future Legendary Weaponsmith, Clothier [Trousers, Enormous Corkscrews])
Ducim Defensetowns (Born today [Moonstone 7th, Year 5], daughter, future Legendary Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, and Siege Engineer [Prefs: Maces, Gauntlets, Siege Parts)

Secondary Families:

Onul Girderscribe (Herbalist, needs a new job)
Kib Packedbolts (Bookkeeper, Manager, Broker)
Iteb Salveorders (Age 2, Slate 7th)
Avuz Crystalbalance (Age 2, Obsidian 10th)

Obviously Melbil and Fath are the ones I'm honoring, with 3 artifacts in the family ALREADY, 6 members of the family......and hopefully more because they're about to be sequestered away with the non-grazing animals, a butchery, a tannery, and all of the raw plants the fort ever gets.

They will be required to keep the animal population in check, cull the weak from the herds so we get the strongest animals possible, and produce metric Boatmurdered-loads of booze. Airlock stockpiles will be created to give them more glass pots and plants, as well as exporting of meat products.

Kib will be stripped of his Broker role, and along with his wife (stripped of her Legendary Herbalist role), will be packed into their own, personal vault, with all the dye, dye plants, cloth, a Quern, a Clothier's Shop, thread, etc that we have (with airlocks to send in more), along with copious amounts of booze. They will be reponsible for punching out babies, and keeping our fortress clothed. Their vault may be next door to our webbing FB's future home. And a GCS cage if I can manage to capture one (or a breeding pair).

The two sets of parents will probably share the same Vault for the time being.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:04:59 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51046 on: November 29, 2017, 07:32:24 pm »

The elves just sold me a fluffy wambler. Unicorns. Fluffy wamblers. I think I'm all set.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51047 on: November 29, 2017, 07:41:03 pm »

The elves have given me three female giant lions, and a male regular lion... Come on guys, you've got this! Just bring me a male...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51048 on: November 29, 2017, 09:07:00 pm »

Fun with werebeasts!

Before I could get all the kids inside from their camping trip, a were-iguana attacked. I was expecting horrific tragedy, but thanks to a legendary dodger who distracted the creature, the casualties were light: only two dead, plus one infected child. But I made a huge mistake: I didn’t lock the child in the hospital when I had the chance. After her treatment she raced to the food stockpile and stood there playing make-believe no matter what I did. I even tried building walls around her, but she kept moving around. When the inevitable happened, five others were infected, mostly children. This time I was paying attention, and they’re all sealed up behind solid walls.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51049 on: November 29, 2017, 09:14:39 pm »

The elves just sold me a fluffy wambler. Unicorns. Fluffy wamblers. I think I'm all set.
My hobbit merchants try to sell me prepared fluffy wambler eye, merperson liver and unicorn cheese. The cheese is worth it (withdrawal symptoms are a little harsh though).

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51050 on: November 30, 2017, 01:53:05 am »

Early Winter and I just got my first mood in 44.xx! Quite excited to see what - oh, okay, we're out of cloth. I'll just make some more... oh, that's right, I brewed all my pig tails.

It looks like he doesn't want any of this sheep wool cloth.

...Welp. Time to wall in my first moody dwarf of 44.xx.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51051 on: November 30, 2017, 02:42:05 am »

I started a brand new fortress for 44.xx. Only at 17 dwarves but have nearly 50 visitors. They came in droves as soon as we opened our tavern for business. One strange thing occurred...

One of our dwarven visitors was apparently looking for some information about some quest they were on. Well it looks like one of our roosters that was hanging out in the tavern happened to have some inside info?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

???

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51052 on: November 30, 2017, 03:54:19 am »

Hopefully all those knowledgeable animals will help keep your visitor population down...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51053 on: November 30, 2017, 12:05:53 pm »

One of my starting seven just died of drinking too much in the tavern. To be quite honest, I don't like it. My dwarves need alcohol to get through the working day, they are not supposed to OD on it.

How can I mod dwarves to have bigger livers?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #51054 on: November 30, 2017, 12:08:22 pm »

One of my starting seven just died of drinking too much in the tavern. To be quite honest, I don't like it. My dwarves need alcohol to get through the working day, they are not supposed to OD on it.

its not that the dwarf ODed, they drowned in booze.
this happens from time to time, the barkeep keeps giving them drinks to the point of they don't have time to breath between drinks.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51055 on: November 30, 2017, 12:16:50 pm »

Change the below line in the dwarf raws to whatever size you want. Note that making it bigger will make the other organs smaller, because this specifies the relative size and the total size is fixed (unless you change it too).
Code: [Select]
[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:LIVER:300]
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51056 on: November 30, 2017, 12:58:03 pm »

Awesome thanks for the tip.
Now to figure out what organs they can stand being smaller.

EDIT: I also notice a [SYNDROME_DILUTION_FACTOR:INEBRIATION:150]
in the dwarf raws. That might work better than increasing liver size. However, I have no idea whether to change the value up or down. There's no examples for the other races, the dwarf race is the only one with this tag.

EDIT2: nvm, thanks, wiki  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#SYNDROME_DILUTION_FACTOR
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:21:33 pm by martinuzz »

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51057 on: November 30, 2017, 01:22:25 pm »

Mountain gnomes have a dilution factor of 500, and are liked for their ability to hold liquor. So bigger is probably better.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51058 on: November 30, 2017, 02:37:37 pm »

I saved it! I found a pig tail out of nowhere in my stocks and wove it into cloth just in time for my moody dwarf to grab it! Looking forward to my first 44.xx artifact!

Edit: It turned out to be a bulky chausse. I wonder where he got the inspiration for that, as far as I know dwarves can't make chausses.

...I guess this is going on display somewhere, then. A single chausse isn't much good, especially one made of cloth.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:50:07 pm by Jazz Cat »
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51059 on: November 30, 2017, 03:13:17 pm »

First artifact in our brand new fort and it's a good one!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How kind of her.  :D

Pages: 1 ... 3402 3403 [3404] 3405 3406 ... 3842