Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3316 3317 [3318] 3319 3320 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106098 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49755 on: March 18, 2017, 11:24:13 pm »

My first fortress was just destroyed  :-\
I was mining out some new spaces for my sheriff and manager when around 15 new citizens arrived and just stood there idling in a pile by the wagon. Soon afterwards I got a message that was something like "Were-elephant has been spotted". I immediately recruited all of the new citizens into a militia and ordered them to attack the were-elephant. By the time a hammerdwarf killed it the monster had killed all except five. I immediately retired the fort after.
The were-elephant killed in roughly this order: a few randoms->militia commander->pile of guys near wagon->expedition leader-> sheriff->the rest of the peasants. All that was left was pools of blood, mangled corpses, and limbs strewn about. The only reason I managed to kill it is because it transformed into a goblin halfway through the fight. All in all it was a pretty good way to end my fortress.

Congratulations on a pretty cool way to end a fortress.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #49756 on: March 19, 2017, 09:01:44 am »

Spoilers below:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a much less spoilerific note, my fortress was just attacked by a werelizard child, who charged at my fortress, killed a dwarf and most of my livestock, and then left. I worry that he will be back next full moon.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49757 on: March 19, 2017, 12:37:13 pm »

So an undead army besieged my fortress, led by some random non-necromancer elf.
Incidentally, one of my dorfs scared a bunch of elephants into running towards that army.
The elf promptly crap his pants and ran in a random direction, then got stuck in one of my cage traps.
The undead army is currently running in circles chasing the elephants.

I am now wondering if there was something in my wine, and also why are there baby elephants in the dining hall.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49758 on: March 19, 2017, 06:10:07 pm »

My dwarven caravan was just chased away because one of the merchants got injured.
This is not particularly strange or rare or surprising.

But the one that injured the merchant? Monitor lizard. My caravan just got chased away by wildlife.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #49759 on: March 20, 2017, 11:06:25 am »

My dwarven caravan was just chased away because one of the merchants got injured.
This is not particularly strange or rare or surprising.

But the one that injured the merchant? Monitor lizard. My caravan just got chased away by wildlife.
Well, I mean, yeah. Komodo Dragons are a kind of Monitor Lizard you know; bastards are huge, all of them. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot, electrified pole.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49760 on: March 20, 2017, 07:00:46 pm »

Update: The undead army has been slowly whitted down by a combination of cage traps, repeatedly swinging drawbridge, and axedwarves. A couple of cage mechanics still died because I wasn't careful. It is safe for my civilians to come out again.

Also, I'm keeping the elephants. They're cute.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49761 on: March 20, 2017, 09:45:24 pm »

The white jade mole seems to be ignoring my fort for now, content to wrestle with Draltha and troglodytes. I've considered sending dwarves to handle it, but I think the cavern guard will do well enough if it comes close, those three have had a lot of practice fighting crundles and the skinless dinosaur thing that came by.

I'm nearly done making the last statue of my baron, which will replace the statues of the old mayor, who fell bravely into the volcano expectantly, mere hours from his ban on selling rings, which the mountainhome will pay double for...

My honey and goat cheese biscuits are a hit amongst the people, never seen so many good reactions to food.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49762 on: March 21, 2017, 12:53:02 am »

Trying to steal alcohol from dwarves is similar to getting between a mother bear and her cubs.

The difference is that the mother bear is safer to mess with.

I know this is sort of an old post, but can I sig this? It's very sigworthy.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49763 on: March 21, 2017, 01:20:48 am »

In my fort where I'm simultaneously testing some automation ideas, segregation to encourage friendships, and factory farming I had a bit of fun.  I had been slowly poking my way through a fairly large aquifer when I got a message that a werebear had come.  It was found swimming in the lake.  "Raise the drawbridge", I shouted to my dwarfs.

Ah yes... What with the automation, the burrows, the animals in cages and the complete lack of rock... I had neglected to build a drawbridge.

"Throw out the fisherdwarfs", I shouted to my dwarfs.  Unarmed as they were, I figured they would be a nice diversion for the werebear.  They would simultaneously be unlikely to survive.  I was correct, although, the werebear only managed to get through one of them before changing back to a goblin.  Then my master miner drove a pick through his head.

You will forever be remembered fisherdwarf... um... what was your name again?

P.S. You will note I protected my precious cheesemaker.  Blessed be the cheesemakers.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49764 on: March 21, 2017, 03:23:23 am »

Isn't a white jade forgotten beast likely to be extremely tough?

Aye, most likely, but we've got twenty dorfs armed from beard to toe in steel and rhino leather, each armed with their own rhino to at worst act as a meat shield. I've seen an elephant knock a Bronze Colossi's head off, so I'm sure the rhinos will be helpful against a white jade mole. I'm more worried about my precious weaver, who's collecting GCS silk, so I don't want to turn the collecting off...
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49765 on: March 21, 2017, 06:04:01 am »

Trying to steal alcohol from dwarves is similar to getting between a mother bear and her cubs.

Of course you can.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49766 on: March 21, 2017, 06:17:04 am »

It's not that old, 2/3 of my sig is over a year old.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49767 on: March 21, 2017, 08:13:02 pm »

Let me know how it goes!

Well, that was anticlimatic. The mole walked up to the tavern guard finally, apparently interested in the artifact door we use as a gate, when he aggrod the Cavern Guard. They grabbed their weapons, charged forward, and in two axe swings and a sword slash he lost both front upper legs and then his head. Guess white jade's no match for dwarven steel.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #49768 on: March 22, 2017, 12:47:09 am »

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49769 on: March 22, 2017, 01:17:24 am »

Good to know... I wonder what the material properties are?
Pretty sure it just uses the basic stone template.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite
Pages: 1 ... 3316 3317 [3318] 3319 3320 ... 3842