Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3260 3261 [3262] 3263 3264 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121071 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48915 on: December 02, 2016, 05:57:15 pm »

@Goatmaan: I think multi-item hauling only really commonly happens with plant gathering, and sometimes bins if you use them. Never seen a dwarf carrying more than 1 log at time.

Hm...I haven't checked (seems dwarves start out as friends embarking), but I'd guess praying in the temple or pondering the screw alone doesn't generate relationships.

If you want value-generating anti-idleness, then if you have sand or clay you can ash glaze (only uses 1/150 a bar per job, I think), generate clay crafts or statues, generate glass things and encrust things with cut clay or glass. 400 workshops should occupy around 15×15×17 area (24 workshops per z, 17zs, 408 total), though obviously the collect clay/sand jobs workshops can be stored away in a random corner.

@ImagoDeo: Going to set up a tavern keeper, I guess? Bloodyhells had a problem under one overseer where the necromancers didn't want to serve patrons in them.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48916 on: December 02, 2016, 06:20:12 pm »

Anvillocked ran for 40+ game years in the tantrum spiral days of 40.19, so keeping them "happy" isn't the issue.
 Have you seen 400+ idlers? I have. And they need space, lots of it. That's the problem.
I'll get a handle on the idler problem, I just thought the logs would buy me more time, so much for thinking ;)

Goatmaan

You said "but dooms a large one to idleness very, very quickly" - I'm wondering what sort of doom do you mean?  While never dealing with that many, I have seen 100+ happily pile into a small space and party their asses off without a problem.  With a 6x6 embark you technically have plenty of room to chamber that many idlers anyway.  What happens to you if they idle in too small a space?

In the tantrum spiral era, I'm sure you're more than aware that one avoided idlers to prevent super-friends, where a tragedy to one would cascade almost instantly through the whole fortress because everyone is everyone's BFF.  Post-tantrum spiral, I simply haven't had any problems with idlers, other than that depressing feeling of a lack of imagination on my part to keep them busy, so I'm curious if there's an aspect I'm not aware of.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48917 on: December 02, 2016, 09:07:18 pm »

@ImagoDeo: Going to set up a tavern keeper, I guess? Bloodyhells had a problem under one overseer where the necromancers didn't want to serve patrons in them.

Actually, it's because they can't drink from the well on their own yet. I didn't know about the tavern keeper issue. I might keep one dwarf un-vampirized for that.

Keeping him alive wouldn't be problematic at all. Vampires under your control won't attack sleeping dwarves outside their burrows. So I'd just need one bedroom off to the side for the poor blighter. Everyone else doesn't sleep.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #48918 on: December 02, 2016, 09:57:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
An average day, also Kobolds stalking the fortress trying to steal my stuff, got one Kobold dead, rather "Productive" first days.
Also I hate that one of my dwarves just freaks out in horrid rain, like you took the trip to a hellish land, what did you expect.
Edit 2: Not sure if same dwarf, but if you look closely, they seemed to stop feeling the sheer terror of it
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:06:58 pm by Nep Nep »
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48919 on: December 02, 2016, 11:02:23 pm »

If Anvillocked had reached its 1000 adult dwarf goal, I had two endings planned. Hfs (breach would've crashed it) and a 1000+ dwarf spiral. By design, they were all friends from day one. Corrupted save robbed me of watching it. Still kinda po'd about it.

The "unknown" about idlers is pathing. The idle room is a pathing nightmare with high numbers in it, going to it, and leaving it. Each must find their way to their spot, then their way out. Those paths change when others move....probably not noticed with just 100, but as their numbers grow,   the more they path, and that path gets blocked by others moving.
Much like slaughtering pastured animals improves fps, cept dwarfs can leave the room(s) but with high idlers the room(s) stays full, an evershifting pathing maze.

I have to consider temple size and placement carefully, and plan even more idle places.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48920 on: December 03, 2016, 12:58:36 am »

Chamberknow is now composed of 84 vampires and 2 babies too young to have drunk the bloody water. The vampire who gave his life for the vampirization of the fort has been summarily entombed.

Unfortunately, in the process of retrieving his corpse and expanding the well, the pool of blood was disrupted and then some genius came along to clean it. The two babies are now at risk until I can find another expendable dwarf to slaughter mercilessly with the ashen spear.

On the plus side, the whole fort is now vampires. Nobody needs to sleep so I got rid of all the bedrooms. (That's temporary. I'll build new ones for the sake of happiness levels later, if it becomes necessary.) My framerate is pretty low, unfortunately, but there's not a lot I can do about that. This little toaster of a computer is multicore, unlike Goatmaan's ridiculous beast.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48921 on: December 03, 2016, 02:57:30 am »

How are your vampires not slowing down to a crawl?
Vampires can't drink booze, but since they are dwarves, they NEED booze, so they should all be going through withdrawals.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48922 on: December 03, 2016, 04:43:20 am »

A forgotten beast arrived:  Torish, a huge, scaly blue crab with wings!  It hurls fireballs, and has started an underground wildfire.  In addition to killing several dwarfs, it destroyed a Clothier's Workshop and a fortune in masterpiece silk hats. 

I decided to try killing Torish with a cave-in, by digging out a small rectangle in the cavern ceiling from the room above.  It flew away in time to avoid getting hurt, but once the dust settled, it soared toward the new opening above.  Luckily, there were some soldiers right at the edge who hacked at it's wing and caused it to plummet.  It still went on to burn and slice a bunch more people, but that softened it up for my Axedwarf, who finished it off.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48923 on: December 04, 2016, 03:22:56 am »

I keep forgetting to dump booze down the holes to the asylums.

One asylum contains a mildly insane legendary mason named Irwin. Booze and rocks go in, furniture comes out via a minecart dump. He has quietly built himself a nice dining room and a temple, but keeps smashing any still or farm plot I try to get him to build. Irwin got his name from punching a zombie crocodile to death.

The other one contains Rejected the insane bloodthirsty hammer lord, and Guard the slightly less bloodthirsty but eternally depressed spearmaster. They tantrum sometimes, but both wear heavy armor and can take a few punches. Neither appear on the other's social screen despite being alone together for years, although they enjoy listening to eachother emulate musical instruments all day.

Rejected killed so many dwarves that he earned a title before I confined him, but when the goblins came he hid behind a statue. Maybe he's bitter about not being a good enough armorsmith to be allowed to craft things, maybe he's an ass. Guard was one of the queen's retinue and she led the spear squad once, but was declared unfit for duty because of constant depression and occasionally trying to murder the recruits she was supposed to train during her moments of lucidity. Probably PTSD.

A single thrown sock can start a loyalty cascade. All of these dwarves have high stress vulnerability to the point that keeping them from tantruming isn't possible, but while micromanaging them to try to make them happy or at least isolate them I got to know them. The current objective of the fort is basically to run it until all of the interesting personalities are dead, which realistically won't take long.

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48924 on: December 04, 2016, 11:31:50 am »

Metalsmith got a secretive mood - fantastic! He made a steel shield called The Courageous Impunity, which is decorated with several pictures of itself.

Also had two mysterious deaths recently. No idea what did it - I think we can rule out a vampire on the grounds that it has been absolute years since the last migrant wave, and anyway don't vampire kills give you a special message ("Urist McVictim has been found drained of blood")? Maybe just old age, but I thought there was a message for that too?

Construction of the fort continues. The masonry complex has been completed barring the amenities (which can't be installed until a roof is put over the top). Underneath we have built a barracks complex fit for up to 20 dwarves. Current work focuses on building an animal industries zone, with a row of pastures for animals (mainly sheep to start off with, and we will put some egg-layers in too) along with appropriate workshops to support a milk, wool, eggs and meat industry. I've discovered that the dining room has been undergoing a bit of a rabbitsplosion, so they're off to be finely minced.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48925 on: December 04, 2016, 12:41:19 pm »

First death from a wereass. Didn't get the stupid elf, and she killed half our livestock and a dwarf.

However first artifact: a kid makes Righteouspraise the Rim of Traps, a dog bone short sword. All things considered, pretty damn great.
One wheel short of a wagon

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48926 on: December 04, 2016, 04:30:12 pm »

How are your vampires not slowing down to a crawl?
Vampires can't drink booze, but since they are dwarves, they NEED booze, so they should all be going through withdrawals.

I edited the raws. It's fairly easy to add a syndrome to dwarf blood that removes the [NO_DRINK] tag which vampirism adds. Here's a post describing the process. It's from 34.11 raws, if I remember right, but it still seems to work. They're all still speedy little alcoholic bastards.

Dezzo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48927 on: December 05, 2016, 01:45:04 pm »

Modded my game with the Vilous mod, removed elves, gobbos and dwarves to stop eating up all of the civilization slots. Kept humans though, as they can prove useful. Checking Legends I found out the reigning Sergal civ has been at war with the Human civ for quite some time... so I have a sergal fortress dedicated to making steel for the war effort, split into two halves- a camp on the north side of the river to train warriors and a mine on the south side, with a large wood and stone building for workshops, stockpiles in the clay layer. Currently working on a ceramics industry, I have a spider silk industry and of course the steel industry going strong. Food is mostly imported, trapped and used for training or hunted because I have so much steel to trade with, luckily Sergals aren't alcohol dependent. (a bit of roleplay is that I gift most of the steel away to be used for the war.) Currently waiting for a large human invasion that I can fight on open ground in a bloody clash between the dominant superpowers of the region... It'll be glorious.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48928 on: December 05, 2016, 03:48:08 pm »

Just had the most pathetic siege ever. Three squads of goblin bowmen turned up. I pulled up the drawbridge but one unfortunate dwarf (a bone carver out for a stroll) was trapped outside. The goblins closed in. I ordered more coffins.

The first goblin fired one shot at him, missed, then turned and ran away (blue !). The second one fell into a cage trap. This was apparently enough for the rest, who turned tail and fled off the map.

I don't know what that bone carver was up to but it must have been pretty impressive. He single-handedly scared away thirty heavily armed goblins.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48929 on: December 05, 2016, 04:38:28 pm »

"The Savanna Titan Duslud Kethitni Cilomomba Loli has come!  A huge quadruped composed of flame.  It has two long, spiral horns and it moves deliberately."

A few militia dwarfs, a kid, and some cats die.
Twenty caged goblins, humans, and badgers die.
Some barrels of wine and blood explode.
Many trees burn.

"The militia commander hacks the savanna titan in the neck with her ðsilver battle axeð and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

There are still some fires working their way through the trees and the militia commander is looking pale (missing fat on upper and lower body).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Pages: 1 ... 3260 3261 [3262] 3263 3264 ... 3842