Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3216 3217 [3218] 3219 3220 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124815 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48255 on: August 23, 2016, 06:04:37 am »

Mansionvipers is still alive and chugging along at ~10 FPS (3 or 4 on the laptop).  Two kiddos have aged into military service and been drafted as hammerdwarves.  Another goblin siege occurred - a big one, with maxed-out invaders.  My main military squad, legendary in dodge and shield user, was able to fend them off by, again, letting them spread out so that the goblins didn't exhaust them.  Exhaustion always seems to be the main danger of large sieges when the defenders are experienced.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48256 on: August 23, 2016, 10:02:19 am »

currently 90-99% of my military causality's are from them being stupid and getting stuck in trees

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48257 on: August 23, 2016, 10:25:58 am »

My generational fort is coming along, slowly, with a series of 31x31 storage rooms being dug out, with a 8x31 utility room dug off to left of the storage rooms dug out on its left-hand side along the far edge of the map.

We are dumping out all of the stone, and gems are being put into a makeshift, small stockpile. Until we can get enough storage rooms cleared out to give it its own 31x31 room.

Plus we're digging out some of the 31x31 rooms and will be making them pastures.

......after we potentially end the fort by attempting a controlled flooding. There is every possibility that it will turn into an uncontrolled flooding. We already have some fortifications dug into the edge of the map, blocked off by a raisable bridge. Also, we have a farm/tree growth area in a 14x12 area that we are using to grow surface crops, thanks to some surface ponds we tapped.

Speaking of the surface ponds, we have expanded the surface ponds water storage area by digging out underground sand.

But when it comes to flooding the fortress, we will be tapping into the river, and diverting everything down into our fort.

Hopefully we won't need to dig beneath our fort and make MORE fortifications to reclaim everything.

We are up to 60 dogs, and 13 cats. Our butchers will be kept busy very soon.

Once we finish draining the flooded areas of our fort, we will be tapping into one of the caverns, and moving our grazers underground.

We will then begin our war on overpopulation and the asexual livestock of our fort.

Fortunately, all of our dwarves are either hetero or bi. While the fort floods, and subsequently drains, they will be doing nothing but socializing in the Utility areas (and the utility stairs), that will be carefully kept dry during the massive flooding.

Then I hope they get busy and get me BABIES.

I may devote several years to having married couples locked up in baby-making complexes with a decade's worth of food and drink, a tiny temple (or a tiny section of the main temple), a tiny tavern (or section of the main tavern), until they start giving me babies. Or at least Baby Shields.

EDIT: we already have a 31x31 storage room filled with Logs (logs subsequently forbidden), in case of disaster or a war with elves, and a 27x13 stockpile on the surface. We just allocated a SECOND tree storage room (31x31), which will now be our top priority to fill up (and forbid).

Just did the math, and each 31x31 holds 961 logs, and the 27x13 holds 351. The top-layer 27x13 will be the stockpile from which logs that are used will be drawn. Yes, it's overkill, but so sue me, I played a fort where maybe 1-2 trees grew EACH YEAR, and I hadn't yet gotten down to magma yet, and I had to basically shut down my glass/metal industries except for a few cases here or there.

I'm paranoid, now.

I'm like the Anti-Elf. ALL THE TREES MUST BE CUT DOWN.

And squirreled away because the end days are coming, the surface will be nothing but magma that cannot be used for some reason, but we will be prepared, and will last for a decade with our 2,000-log wood stockpiles.

And possibly several other stockpiles that sorts the wood by type.

Because why the fuck not?

Just had my second plague of Rhesus Macaques. The first time they made off with some Masterworks. This time we made off with their flesh.

So right now I only have a small 1x1 entrance, where I plan to put a raisable gate. I added 2 3x3 sets of traps in the narrow entranceway, with a 2x3 blank space where I plan to have weapon traps, and put all of our war dogs (the Original Seven--six bitches and their dam) to scare off the damn monkeys. That worked for a little while, and our Wood Burner punched one of them in the head so hard it exploded......

Then they braved the dogs (who left them alone gorramit), and hauled their exhausted bodies into our fort, hoping to steal something. The only thing they stole was our resident miner, drafted into a ramshackle military, bashing them with a mace. There's one left, but he's still too scared of the dogs to come in right now.

I've instructed our Stonecrafter to set up butcher and tanner's workshops, so we don't let our meat and leather delivery go to waste.

In time, those workshops will begin the grisly task of demolishing our skyrocketing pet population--we're at 202 and climbing. All but the grazers are in a cage. And the Dam Bitch 7.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:53:29 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48258 on: August 23, 2016, 10:44:04 am »

If you half-accidentally flood your entire fortress, note that you don't need a lever to lower the raised drawbridge - marking, then unmarking it for deconstruction is enough to make it act like indestructible statue.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48259 on: August 23, 2016, 11:01:42 am »

Ha!

The last Rhesus Macaque got caught in a cage, and will be slaughtered with extreme prejudice.

Next batch will be held until they can be tamed for a meat industry.

But this batch? Screw 'em.

Also flay 'em.

And fry 'em.

Possibly wear 'em.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48260 on: August 23, 2016, 01:56:24 pm »

A vile force of darkness descended upon my domains. I thought I could handle it having elite marksdwarves, axe lords and hammer lords in my squads abut then i saw all of them mounted beak dogs and there was about 20 trolls with them as well plus they outnumbered my men around 5 to 1 (I only had 18 dwarves to defend the place). then i realized i was fucked.

Sent my marksdwarves to man the main tower to rain down bolts while they advanced. they managed to shoot a few good volleys while i sent the melee dwarves to block the entrance. I thought I was holding up pretty good. limbs were flying everywhere and I was hoping they would rout but then... trolls happened. didnt know they climb walls now. my melee dwarves were soon beset on both sides. turns out trolls are harder to kill than gobbos and my men were soon killed off except the hammer lord that for some reason ended up beneath the bridge we were fighting on. beak dogs were harrassing him on all sides and arrow fire coming from everywhere but this fucker was tough he blocked all of it killed off any units that were on the ledges.

I thought I send out reinforcements in the form of newly recruited civilians. but then they were no match for the now battle hardened gobbos at the front door.

The civilians managed to kill off the gobbos trying to get in but again trolls happened.

So with one good soldier left and 12 or so trolls plus the beakdogs plus the gobbos still remaining.

I though I'd give Zulban Eseshmomuz a little hand so that he could join his brethren in the afterlife and teleported him out of the pit.

but he just would not give up and went all rambo. he cleared his way through the halls full of trolls saving the children trapped in the hospital and procceeded to kill of the remaining beakdogs and gobbos left in the fort.

it just blows my mind how dwarf fortress can set up such epic moments like this.

Now Im going to retire this fortress, play as Zulban and wipe out all the gobbos in the world haha

EDIT: looks like i cant without using dfhack or something which im too lazy to find out how to i guess ill just clear out the bodies and rebuild the fortress with more people actually in the military
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:11:15 pm by em312s0n »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48261 on: August 23, 2016, 10:25:24 pm »

I've finally completed my glorious golden temple to Ertal, the goddess of Wealth.  Unfortunately, there have been some demographic changes since the project began, and it turns out she only has 6 worshipers in the Fortress, out of 85 total residents. 
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48262 on: August 24, 2016, 10:35:08 pm »

Godzilla vs Mothra, Dwarf Fortress-style.

So, years ago, I saw a web spinning forgotten beast and got inspired to entrap it for a silk farm. I made the trap, a simple affair with two draw bridges along a single-tile corridor and some statues in the middle to slow it down...

...yes, that was a mistake...

...but the stupid thing climbed up a tree and got stuck.

So the trap lay dormant for years. The fort went through a decline due to poor defenses and too many goblins, but after out-turtling a couple sieges, and some careful planning, we again attracted migrants and were approaching our initial glory. We were fresh from a great victory against the goblins, had just constructed the tavern (The Dark Chocolate, I kid you not) and had a curtain wall mostly completed. Things were looking really nice. I even made a dfma upload to celebrate the occasion.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12698-snarledglazed

And to ice the cake, another web spinning forgotten beast showed up!

I mistakenly thought this FB was in cave #2 (which was walled off with a drawbridge due to another FB lurking there) and thought I could ignore it.

That was another mistake.

I ignored it until it mangled one of my farmers somewhere along the great cavern stair. I seized the opportunity by calling a civilian alert and raising the bridge to the caverns, leaving the trap as the primary avenue into the fort!

Except the beastie wandered back into cavern 3 and meandered, like you do.

Well, at least I could contain it until a more opportune time? I hit the purple lever, and....

Someone forgot to set the drawbridge for "raise." The bridge disappeared into the rock.

Panicking somewhat, I designated a wall, and completed it, except that our legendary engraver walled himself on the wrong side of the wall. I immediately set the wall to deconstruct, and the engraver got to work, just as the forgotten beast was creeping up behind him. He got it open and bolted up the stairs!

And not long after that he was caught bye the webslinger, and most mercilessly destroyed.

This was the fort's only legendary engraver, by the way...

But no time to grieve, I checked for any other stragglers, and there was a fish cleaner somewhere between cavern 2 and 1 and the surface, and a peasant further up. The peasant got out ok, and I check on the fish cleaner.

The fish cleaner is hauling some gabbro.

The FB was still working on the engraver, or something, so I watched carefully to see when the best time to hit the switch would be.

And somehow the fish cleaner got out! Hit the lever! Everyone downstairs! 

The lever was hit, a planter named Nil got squished in the bridge. I don't even know why Nil was going for the stairs at this point. I'll leave a slab as a cautionary tale.

So I watch...and the beast meanders...the beast destroys the doors to our corpse heap. The beast wanders into a mined-out vein of cobaltite...the beast...what?!?!

Another forgotten beast has arrived!!! And this one breaths !!!FIRE!!!

(it's worth noting that the first and worst catastrophe this fort ever faced was a fire breathing toad monster that slew 20 or so dwarves before it was vanquished)

Of course, Mr Coral Quadruped with the webs must face down the new threat down in cavern 1. I tried to raise that drawbridge, and I don't even know if it did because it was the same error as in 3, and by the time I looked the two were going at it like Godzilla and Mothra.

Godzilla won, kicking the web spinner's head off with its rear leg.

OK, I get a fire room instead of a web room...

Godzilla proceeds to book it up the stairs, where my trap is waiting.

It's worth noting that this trap opens directly into the clothing factory, with only a door or two in between...

Remember those statues? I was thinking that forgotten beasts ripped down statues the same as they destroyed doors...slowly.

It went through them like a bowling ball hurled by Thor himself.

I panicked and set up a borrow in the tavern (on the surface) to try to persuade all the dwarves to go outside for some fresh air and immediately sent the entire army to the clothing factory.

I think better of this, cancel the burrow, and move the troops back a bit to a more defensible location, a landing where several ramps meet. And I watch as the capital red C just sits there.

And sits there.

(I realize now, after I'd stopped playing that it was probably working on destroying the door to the clothworks; I didn't realize this at the time.)

And of course, multiple dwarven civilians are now trying to go through that door to get to the caverns. I locked the door just in time. That would've been bad.

Somewhere in there I thought to hit the switch on the back of the trap, sealing the monster on the clothe side of the tunnel, but it made no sense to hit the other one, which the monster is now past, so I let that be.

In a cooler panic, I started to put floors at the ramp leading in, but was worried about trapping dwarves inside, so instead I walled off the cloth sector that would be the nearest entry into the trap outlet. Then I realized that the beast could easily take a detour through the storage rooms below, and built a solid wall cutting off all four sectors. This includes all of the looms, clothing workshops, and leather workshops, as well as the fort's entire stash of thread, cloth, and leather.

But now, at least, the beast is contained.

We're hoping that it will at some point get bored of ripping apart looms and textile mills to wander back into the passage. Actually, what would really make sense would be to seal it in the cloth and leather works and build some more robust defenses on the way back. That would make a lot of sense...

I think that was a rather pleasant measure of !!!FUN!!! Fewer than five casualties, and if I do this right I'll have a handy dandy forgotten-beast-powered incinerator instead of a silk farm.  8)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:41:00 pm by mirrizin »

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48263 on: August 24, 2016, 11:18:19 pm »

Another siege at Mansionvipers, the first real one led by an actual goblin!  Inid Coverscreams took the militia commander's pick to the face.  The hammerdwarves have some new recruits so they didn't join the carnage.  Maybe next time.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48264 on: August 25, 2016, 03:46:35 am »

Heh. Bit sprawlingly reminding me of some worldgen forts, expect lot more organized. Curious story of growing lax and guide/dwarves dang it.

- Ball!?
- 9-tile staircase to depths?!

Cynicalsob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48265 on: August 25, 2016, 07:20:15 am »

Last night i got greedy and ate through too much candy and my fort has no dentists!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48266 on: August 25, 2016, 08:13:00 am »

^#^#^#^#^#^.....A series of retracing bridges to split them up, with bait to attract at the end. You might need several series to isolate just one of each.

Though if you kill them all more should wander in eventually.

Cynicalsob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48267 on: August 25, 2016, 08:48:59 am »

^#^#^#^#^#^.....A series of retracing bridges to split them up, with bait to attract at the end. You might need several series to isolate just one of each.

Though if you kill them all more should wander in eventually.

Well my military consists of one elf with poor skills and 38 wardogs, so killing them might be kinda hard. Gonna try splitting them and see how that goes

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48268 on: August 25, 2016, 10:45:41 am »

Heh. Bit sprawlingly reminding me of some worldgen forts, expect lot more organized. Curious story of growing lax and guide/dwarves dang it.

- Ball!?
- 9-tile staircase to depths?!
Should I take that for a compliment? I'm not sure... :D

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48269 on: August 25, 2016, 06:21:28 pm »

A giantess turned up in front of my fortress... Before standing/sitting at the front doors like a lemon.

I was able to build cage traps in this time. She just stood where she was.

A dingus dingo man eventually turned up and tried to fight the Giantess, but he was wounded and bled to death.

Also, huge bar fight has lead to several dwarves getting hurt and put in the hospital. This is the second time this has happened and I'm thinking of maybe making an indoor pool to avoid things like this in the future.

EDIT: I removed the burrow I had active.

Apparently, the first thing dwarves do when seeing a wounded giantess is try to finish it off.

Even if they have no weapons or armor.

And apparently the giantess gets scared of these unarmed, unarmored fighters. Fascinating.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 06:27:27 pm by AzyWng »
Pages: 1 ... 3216 3217 [3218] 3219 3220 ... 3842