Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3214 3215 [3216] 3217 3218 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124783 times)

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48225 on: August 18, 2016, 03:50:13 pm »

Temple Fortress is going well. I'm getting a stupid amount of visitors now that I've got two semi-popular taverns. Planning on adding some actual temples soon, and then maybe thinking about some fortifications in case of attackers. Aside from that, I'm starting to run out of ideas. Aside from a kobold and werelizard, things are getting a bit boring. I might build a massive, multiple Z-level cylinder underground and turn it into this huge shrine to Urist Christ, who I've decided is in fact the mortal form of Armok in this universe. But I'll just have to wait and see what happens, and hope to get a siege or something soon.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48226 on: August 18, 2016, 04:45:06 pm »

Earthwheels is apparently the most studious town ever, with too many books about fishing and fishers. There's also exploded goblin corpses littering the very peaceful town that sports  nearly 60% of its population as military.

Oh, also.. tons of bards petitioning to join the establishment because of the tavern.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48227 on: August 18, 2016, 07:05:15 pm »

Just got a goblin outpost liaison from the Mountainhomes, who gave me a report on world happenings which included the lines:

"Months ago Robek Skinnedskewers became expedition leader of The Glove of Testing.  I hear he has a real mean streak."

Has anyone else ever seen this before?  I don't think I've ever encountered an outpost liaison offering any sort of anecdote or personal opinion along with the world news before this.

I am highly intrigued.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48228 on: August 18, 2016, 08:06:19 pm »

Just got a goblin outpost liaison from the Mountainhomes, who gave me a report on world happenings which included the lines:

"Months ago Robek Skinnedskewers became expedition leader of The Glove of Testing.  I hear he has a real mean streak."

Has anyone else ever seen this before?  I don't think I've ever encountered an outpost liaison offering any sort of anecdote or personal opinion along with the world news before this.

I am highly intrigued.

I saw that a few game years ago.  It struck me as odd enough to screencap it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48229 on: August 18, 2016, 08:32:02 pm »

Had my first real siege, with mounts and trolls and lots and lots of goblins.

I set my squads on call, positioned my archers, and waited...

Then a troll, leading the charge, caught our newly-promoted duke right at the main entrance!

Squads were all mobilized to kill that troll.

The duke got away without a scratch, but then the leading squad saw the approaching army and things immediately spun out of control.

Out of a force of 20 dwarves, I lost 12 including the militia commander who had two forgotten beasts' demise to his name. Near the end it looked like our line was going to break and I'd have to take drastic measures (like raise the drawbridge?) but I put in some new recruits and we won the day.

I was so proud of the old commander that I inadvertently gave him a nicer tomb than the duke's (he of the rose gold statue posted about above.) I threw a couple gold chests into his make up the difference.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48230 on: August 18, 2016, 10:43:22 pm »

A roc attacked youthbastions. It went after a herd of wild boar, and I looked away for a minute. Next thing I know all my grazing animals are dead and so is the roc. The militia commander killed it. Also named his spear afterwards.

Also been made a barony, now.

Dwarves are also all horrendously cave-adapted. Everyone is throwing up while cleaning up the dead animals.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48231 on: August 18, 2016, 11:55:15 pm »

Update from Boltclash:

Managed to capture several elephants, and have begun the long road to domestication. Also, the fortress now has domesticated monitor lizards (with a raw edit so scales are usable). And, it seems the surface cage traps have snagged a mating pair of giraffe as well. I'm thinking that the eventual fortress retirement-to-adventurer-mode is going to be very interesting... I may experiment with retiring a fortress-origin adventurer, un-retiring the fortress and seeing if I can assign multiple war elephants&giraffe to the dwarf and swapping back to that dwarf, then heading off to to the elves... Of course after making full use of the danger room and armory to train and equip said dwarf (and then maybe topple a statue in the dedicated temple next to the barracks/danger room).

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48232 on: August 19, 2016, 05:19:47 am »

Just making a new fort, casually digging out my first rooms and so on, when suddenly...

The dead walk, hide while you still can!

Your strength has been broken.

My starting seven were not good enough, and they didn't even properly equip their weapons before charging in on my orders. R I P
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48233 on: August 19, 2016, 06:20:37 am »

After having had nothing to do for literally years (aside from the odd plant harvesting busywork), our resident manager Bomrek Mebdoren is once again a Tree Cutter, happily annhilating the cavern tree life.

After years of sitting around complaining that he blew his load in the first two months, cutting down every surface tree there was, and waiting for more to grow. We did have a rude awakening to the fact that Tower-Caps and Fungiwood only drop two logs no matter how tall they are. Kind of made the waiting we did for some of the trees to grow taller seem pointless.

There was actually a Naked Mole Dog trapped between two trees that had grown, and was hunted down and killed by our Marksdwarves. We had four squads of two soldiers each (sparring FTW) bracketing every escape vector--then it escaped down a hole caused by falling wood punching through to a specially prepared stockpile area (that is still being smoothed and engraved just because).

Our Marksdwarves charged back into the fort, ran down a set of stairs, and finished it off with a couple of well-place bolts and using their crossbows as blunt weapons.

Aside from a Magma Crab that's been hanging out near the magma we discovered not long ago, there are not other wild animals. We've unleashed the weavers to go snatch up all the webs they've been drooling over while we were letting stuff grow.

Our Mechanic, not to be outdone, has just finished hooking up the bridgegate to our secondary cavern access, and will be setting up cagetraps at strategic chokepoints in this extremely narrow first cavern system.

Now that we've broken in the caverns, we're probably going to have yearly or bi-seasonal excursions into the caverns, under heavy guard to snatch up all the webs and logs that we can.

Our Magma project is coming along swimmingly. We've prepared as much as we can, and all it will take now is someone to carve fortifications into the side of the magma tube, and then close up the gate behind them. Then we'll have about a dozen smelters, a trio of Kilns, and a trio of Glass Furnaces ready to go, and not use up any coke or Charcoal.

Although with 579 Lignite waiting to be turned into Coke, there's not much worry about running out of that. Of course, now that we're so close to getting rid of Coke and Charcoal for all but Smithing, our Smiths are asking that we hold off on any more melting or smelting, so we can have as much as possible for them. I tried pointing out that Charcoal literally grows in trees, but they weren't "Having any of that elfin crap" from me.

Our Miners, having finally finished off harvesting every in-fort ore and gem that we can find, have joined the militia, in a two-man squad. Eventually I would like to see ALL of our dorfs in the military reserves, and trained up to Legendary status in at least one weapon.

We have enough food and drink to literally shut ourselves off from the world and let everyone train for probably close to half a decade, if not a full decade at this point. Also to make lots of babies.

Speaking of babies, 6 months ago we welcomed another child into the Fort. Little Iton is the firstborn son of a new family, and will grow old with the other three children we have (2, 5, 7). Little Shem, now 5, had her Mood about a year ago--a Tower-cap ring Unfortunately she did not have any skill increase. 10 of our 32 dwarves have now had Moods.

We are preparing to get our military veterans--the Master Lasher squad, the Master Swordsdorf squad, the Master Axedorf Squad, and our Marksdorf squad ready for their fell moods.

Right now, the plan is for the Marksdorf that has NOT had a mood yet (the other is a Glassmaker who was sent into the squad as something to do while we were in a wood/charcoal/coke shortage) to try to become a Bowyer. As for the others, I'm thinking Weaponsmiths, and hope we get something really cool, like a Platinum war hammer. Maybe a Blacksmith or Metalsmith.

Oh, shit.

I just realized we need to cage the cats while the cavern entrance is open. Wouldn't want them getting locked outside. If you'll excuse me, I have some orders to give.

Armok, I love using Lashers. Not very effective vs. armored units, but against unarmored units like that Giant Rat that was sniffing around--bam.

I was fortunate that I was able to buy a pair of Silver Whips off of some humans.

BTW, what IS the best Lasher weapon? I'm not that experienced with them, but I do try to use Lashers whenever I can as revenge against those who use them against me.

Also, Wood Cutter went from Rank 8 to Rank 15 within a month. woo.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:56:42 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48234 on: August 19, 2016, 07:59:42 am »

After having had nothing to do for literally years (aside from the odd plant harvesting busywork), our resident manager Bomrek Mebdoren is once again a Tree Cutter, happily annhilating the cavern tree life.

After years of sitting around complaining that he blew his load in the first two months, cutting down every surface tree there was, and waiting for more to grow. We did have a rude awakening to the fact that Tower-Caps and Fungiwood only drop two logs no matter how tall they are. Kind of made the waiting we did for some of the trees to grow taller seem pointless.

There was actually a Naked Mole Dog trapped between two trees that had grown, and was hunted down and killed by our Marksdwarves. We had four squads of two soldiers each (sparring FTW) bracketing every escape vector--then it escaped down a hole caused by falling wood punching through to a specially prepared stockpile area (that is still being smoothed and engraved just because).

Our Marksdwarves charged back into the fort, ran down a set of stairs, and finished it off with a couple of well-place bolts and using their crossbows as blunt weapons.

Aside from a Magma Crab that's been hanging out near the magma we discovered not long ago, there are not other wild animals. We've unleashed the weavers to go snatch up all the webs they've been drooling over while we were letting stuff grow.

Our Mechanic, not to be outdone, has just finished hooking up the bridgegate to our secondary cavern access, and will be setting up cagetraps at strategic chokepoints in this extremely narrow first cavern system.

Now that we've broken in the caverns, we're probably going to have yearly or bi-seasonal excursions into the caverns, under heavy guard to snatch up all the webs and logs that we can.

Our Magma project is coming along swimmingly. We've prepared as much as we can, and all it will take now is someone to carve fortifications into the side of the magma tube, and then close up the gate behind them. Then we'll have about a dozen smelters, a trio of Kilns, and a trio of Glass Furnaces ready to go, and not use up any coke or Charcoal.

Although with 579 Lignite waiting to be turned into Coke, there's not much worry about running out of that. Of course, now that we're so close to getting rid of Coke and Charcoal for all but Smithing, our Smiths are asking that we hold off on any more melting or smelting, so we can have as much as possible for them. I tried pointing out that Charcoal literally grows in trees, but they weren't "Having any of that elfin crap" from me.

Our Miners, having finally finished off harvesting every in-fort ore and gem that we can find, have joined the militia, in a two-man squad. Eventually I would like to see ALL of our dorfs in the military reserves, and trained up to Legendary status in at least one weapon.

We have enough food and drink to literally shut ourselves off from the world and let everyone train for probably close to half a decade, if not a full decade at this point. Also to make lots of babies.

Speaking of babies, 6 months ago we welcomed another child into the Fort. Little Iton is the firstborn son of a new family, and will grow old with the other three children we have (2, 5, 7). Little Shem, now 5, had her Mood about a year ago--a Tower-cap ring Unfortunately she did not have any skill increase. 10 of our 32 dwarves have now had Moods.

We are preparing to get our military veterans--the Master Lasher squad, the Master Swordsdorf squad, the Master Axedorf Squad, and our Marksdorf squad ready for their fell moods.

Right now, the plan is for the Marksdorf that has NOT had a mood yet (the other is a Glassmaker who was sent into the squad as something to do while we were in a wood/charcoal/coke shortage) to try to become a Bowyer. As for the others, I'm thinking Weaponsmiths, and hope we get something really cool, like a Platinum war hammer. Maybe a Blacksmith or Metalsmith.

Oh, shit.

I just realized we need to cage the cats while the cavern entrance is open. Wouldn't want them getting locked outside. If you'll excuse me, I have some orders to give.

Armok, I love using Lashers. Not very effective vs. armored units, but against unarmored units like that Giant Rat that was sniffing around--bam.

I was fortunate that I was able to buy a pair of Silver Whips off of some humans.

BTW, what IS the best Lasher weapon? I'm not that experienced with them, but I do try to use Lashers whenever I can as revenge against those who use them against me.

If those miners have reached legendary mining, force them to use pickaxes while in the military
due to a bug the best whip is actually the copper whip which swings faster then it's supposed to too the point where it according to the wiki, has been known to smash skulls through steel helmets

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48235 on: August 19, 2016, 08:42:37 am »

Do NOT use an adamantine whip. Other than that, you're good.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48236 on: August 19, 2016, 09:28:45 am »

Oh, shit.

If those miners have reached legendary mining, force them to use pickaxes while in the military
due to a bug the best whip is actually the copper whip which swings faster then it's supposed to too the point where it according to the wiki, has been known to smash skulls through steel helmets

The Miners are equipped with Picks, don't worry. I may not be too experienced with actual, established forts because I try to rush things, but I'm not THAT inexperienced. I'm nearing the point where I'm pondering whether to turn my 4 melee squads into 1 squad with 5 members, and 3 feeder/training squads for newbies, or keep them where they are for greater tactical mobility.

Granted, tactics you can use aren't THAT great, since dorfs decide what they do and when, and often decide to go worship at the temple, sleep, or restock provisions....but having a bait squad while you move around to flank an enemy is useful at times.

Other times you just need to have a wall of steel.

Copper, eh?

I think I've got some. I've made it a point not to sell/melt whips, flails, scourges, etc. ATM they're using Silver, because whips are blunt damage, and I figured the heavier it was, the more damage it would do at impact.

I suppose, though, if the main thing you're going for is velocity, copper would make sense.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

LordKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48237 on: August 19, 2016, 02:03:55 pm »

Got a goblin slave warrior visiting the tavern to relax. Never seen that before. I saw in legends there was a small population of slaves around some human tombsites that I wanted to check out too see if I had a full on Egyptian(edit:of the non-historical stereotype variety, duh) style civ in my world. Guess this one might be an escapee or something, he has changed between several civs in a war torn area over the years. Pretty cool.

Had a smith dwarf that was unconscious with a torn open neck, broken arm, and lacerations all over the body from an undead harpy attack get stricken by a mood. Got plenty expensive metals and fine materials for him to use. He made a pig iron anvil decorated with some wood, stone and rough gems... Well done mr.dorf... gah.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 08:25:39 pm by LordKnows »

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48238 on: August 19, 2016, 05:32:05 pm »

Ishlumonol (Nutsmountain) has suffered its first three casualties. First casualty, disobeyed move orders from his emergency squad and waltzed into the rotting dust cloud; died in hospital. Next two; murdered by one Giant Gray Langur; named Langur has his teeth and body parts strewn about the courtyard from the vengeful and highly efficient steel-equipped militia. He strangled one, while the other socked him in the head repeatedly. Apparently he tore her to shreds, too, somehow. Neither was important.
Also suffered another crippled Metalworker; that's one furnace op who's lost a hand to nerve damage, one Metalworker (also Furnace Op, I believe) who's lost use of a foot. And another Furnace Op is also "Stressed", like the first Op to be crippled, Ingish Deduknimak. As a Grand Master Furnace Operator, I'm going to extraordinary lengths to make him happier. Probably gotta do it again, cause I'm so close to magma furnaces and forges, and a fully-functional, fast steel industry. Gonna need to train up a few more weapons and armor smiths, because my eventual goal is to create a 134-dwarf military and breach HFS. Also, once they're equipped and trained, ready to go, I'm sending them into the caverns. Since I can't get enough goblins or anything to make a kill room. Nothing dangerous drops in, xD. Langurs aren't dangerous whatsoever, nor do they last long. However, they've sent about 7 total dwarves to the hospital, so I'm preparing the fortress's above-ground walls for Marksdwarves to patrol. I'm soon going to build the elevated pillboxes (towers, but sealed on top) that I want spread across the land, to destroy invading forces and beasts.
Also I moved the barracks. Dang militia took too long to get out the door, so now it's built next to the current up staircase, with a door I can quickly forbid in case of trouble. Although really, if there's trouble, I'll send'em on in to kill things. And I moved the hospital, because the miasma from idiot dwarves dying in there was making everyone unhappy. Now it's not in the middle of the main (first floor built, so it's horribly mashed together) floor, near the staircase heart of the fortress. Now it's got a door, too.
Added a fodder squad to the military. Many useless peasants have been drafted; about 5 in all, plus two experienced dwarves. They're ALL macedwarves, cause two had mace skill, two more mace preference, and the other was just big and strong. Now ... to crush everything!
Unfortunately, I won't get any zombies, but still, useful for wildlife.
I might end up stationing them at the front doors, actually, for training. That'll keep them from cave adapting, and also give me an instant Langur Defense Force.
I've got a mood right now. Don't think I can fill it, actually; he's requiring either wood, metal bars (have all but Bismuth Bronze, but I've only ever melted stuff to get that to reforge), rough gems (can't get any more of the ones I'm missing, this is the one I'm worried about), or cloth. Not sure what cloth he could want that I don't have, but eh ... we'll see. He's in a glassmaker's furnace, so I'm not sure I care too much. Oh well. Militia might need to exterminate him, if it comes to it, because that's been quick-built in the magma furnaces room ... huh. If nobody sees the "murder", would there be repercussions for the "murderer"?

Myrmidon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48239 on: August 19, 2016, 06:10:40 pm »

Genned a new world on 43.05.  Short history, medium sized world.  Nice seaside little fortress going, and all of the sudden, 4 (FOUR!) citizens simultaneously inherit baronies, plus my fort becoming a barony now makes 5 (FIVE!) barons at my fort.  Oh the mandates.....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other than that, all is well as I start to crank out Masterwork steel armor. 

On another note, this is the first fort since the update that I've had zero visitors to my tavern or library.  I've googled what may be causing it, but to no avail.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:59:33 pm by Myrmidon »
Pages: 1 ... 3214 3215 [3216] 3217 3218 ... 3842