Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3215 3216 [3217] 3218 3219 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124680 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48240 on: August 19, 2016, 06:23:58 pm »

PRISON COLONY.

Ignore any and all mandates. Build a massive prison facility with piles and piles of jail cells. All fortress labor must go towards the maintenance and safety of the jail and its inmates. The Barons wardens should be kept separate from the prison populace as a whole.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #48241 on: August 20, 2016, 03:44:13 am »

Bladefountains, Year Two and i already have really weird things.

What was done and happened in Spring:
Finished moat and fortification.
First Forges, Wood Furnaces, and Smelters.
Robbery of Elven caravan for their instruments (they didn't bring any interesting animals, as always).
Dwarves drinking water instead of booze?!

What was done and happened in Summer:
Successful goblin snatcher (actually, i'm kinda happy that he stole the child).
Non-interesting Human Caravan.
Cage Trap perimeter established.
More water-drinking dwarves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is gonna be !!FUN!!.

Almost forgot, i had hilarious, yet scary battle log. Here it is.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 04:15:37 am by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48242 on: August 20, 2016, 04:32:47 am »

I've been having fun with planned (and unplanned) cavern collapses to rapidly channel several soil layers to create an indoor tree farm.

The first collapse was amazing, and it put my hospital to use for the first time......ever. Smashed the miner's right foot and right ankle, but he was up and about rather quickly, since I had a fully stocked hospital waiting for him. Waiting for like 3-4 years.

Then we had a BIG (semi-) controlled collapse, which crushed about 5 Masterworks and destroyed (or blew out the open airlock) a few dozen metal bars. Ordinarily I'd be OCD about saving every last resource, but that was a stockpile we haven't used for literally years, and the bins and bars have just been sitting around, because we haveSO MANY bars of metal from melting everything we can that Dorfs tend to take from the Smelter first.

Also, we're just about ready to try to get our Magma forges going. Our Mechanic just has to finish putting cages in AAAAAAAAAAALL of the cage traps he'd built. Around the entire perimeter of the first cavern. We tried just ignoring them and not having any cages on hand, but that dude was WHINY about it, in big red letters, constantly.

And we need him to build backup levers and hook them up to the bridges we have to stop the Magma.

Freaking Engineers.

>.>

:P
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48243 on: August 20, 2016, 07:07:14 am »

er......mah.....gerd.....

I just realized that I can set up workorders at querns (and eventually mills) to grind rock nuts into paste. And at Farmer's Workshops to get me rock nuts by processing plants to bag....

aaaaaand.......

and cheese making and spinning, and.....

........I realisze that was the big push in the last release, but......I hadn't really touched it.

???

:o

this.......changes everything. ;)

Also we totally need some dorfy smilies. Even if it's just the default ASCII symbols for the dwarfs.

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48244 on: August 20, 2016, 05:03:31 pm »

Just got a goblin outpost liaison from the Mountainhomes, who gave me a report on world happenings which included the lines:

"Months ago Robek Skinnedskewers became expedition leader of The Glove of Testing.  I hear he has a real mean streak."

Has anyone else ever seen this before?  I don't think I've ever encountered an outpost liaison offering any sort of anecdote or personal opinion along with the world news before this.

I am highly intrigued.

I saw that a few game years ago.  It struck me as odd enough to screencap it.

Can you check legends?

Vampirism? Does the liaison have a grudge against the guy?

This sounds like a perfect opportunity for science.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48245 on: August 20, 2016, 05:52:26 pm »

Can you check legends?

Vampirism? Does the liaison have a grudge against the guy?

This sounds like a perfect opportunity for science.

Oddem Basementwarmth was born in 87.  In 99 he became a fishery worker, and had a run-in with a cyclops (he was attacked and wounded, but escaped) that attacked his home town.  In 100 he became sheriff of The Magical Stake, and then in 118 he became mayor.  He is unmarried and has several non-weapon military skills, presumably from that run-in with the cyclops.

I had another one show up in the world news from the humans:

(I've also never seen "first monk" as a position before.  This must be a human thing.)

Angir Livingdated was born in 71.  In 83 he became a glazer, then in 88 he switched to fishery worker.  In 100 he became the priest of the Oracular Faith, and in 128 he became the first monk.  He is married and has two children.  He has no skills other than glazing and fishery skills.

Commonalities:

- fishery workers
- had another position first

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48246 on: August 20, 2016, 10:53:16 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12697-burnkegs

End of the first year! This is a serene biome, with an apparently high density of kangaroos. Things won't be serene for long, however, since I settle nearby one of the largest gobbo populations in the world.

Currently sitting at 13 dwarves, though I expect plenty more in the next wave of migrants. I need to start soldier training.

I'm experimenting with major terraforming here, and hope to build some nice glass domes over these limestone circles. I also have a few smaller circles planned, around some yet-to-be-grown peach trees.

Quite a bit has been done for just one year.

At one point, a giant olm attacked via the first cavern. It's meager bites failed to do much of anything, and after a few lame engagements it ran all the way to the surface and escaped off the map. I like to think that it's still scurrying about ineffectively, harassing the local population of kangaroos.

More info in the PoI's.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48247 on: August 21, 2016, 05:35:57 am »

Bladefountains, 2nd second half of Year Two, and first half of Year Three.

Autumn, Year Two:
Military has been enstablished.
Dwarven caravan.
Civilians refuse to wear clothing. (due to [ARMORLEVEL:1] tag)
8 dwarves have arrived in Bladefountains.

Winter, Year Two:
Realization that this dwarven civ can't produce helmets and leather armor.
Creation of artifact bronze ring, Mournedplunge The Wind Of Glumness, and legendary Metalcrafter.

Spring, Year Three:
My best elven caravan to date. (Giant Jaguar, (regular) Saltwater Croc, Giant Rattlesnake.)
Discovery of caverns.
Digging out the bedrooms.
Project "Gotta Catch Those Giant Saltwater Crocs" started.
21 dwarves have arrived in Bladefountains.

Summer, Year Three:
Cave Airlock is ready.
Human Caravan.

No screenshots today, unfortunately.

I had like 6 migration waves, everything is good, but i still have only one brewer. If next migration wave will not have another brewer, i'll need to manually assign new, untrained brewers.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48248 on: August 21, 2016, 08:43:29 am »

It is Mansionvipers' thirtieth anniversary.  Our population is 100, which is the hard cap that I set, of which 43 are children.  The first three future hammerdwarves have started training, and we've started to process the thousands of units of tallow on hand into bars of soap.  The surface has been completely stripped of trees, which improved my FPS a little but also uncovered another weakness in the orchard wall where I had built over some twigs.  This has been repaired.

The orchard itself is beginning to regrow, so I've turned on plant gathering in a small section of it where the most trees are, to supplement booze production.  We should get a decent crop of plums, persimmons, bayberries and pears from the young trees.

Our first megabeast turned out to be a hydra.  Not the best megabeast in the world, but whatever, I'll take it.  We've had only semi-megabeasts up to now, which are useless.  At least one can eat a hydra.

Otherwise little has happened.  We're in a waiting period now, pending the maturation of our children to military age.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48249 on: August 21, 2016, 11:45:22 am »

My cook just whipped up a batch of 12 goose egg omelets, by Armoks beard... They are stuffed with pig tail leaves and finely minced pigs brain. It should be a requirement that before anyone get free food handouts or government dole because they are "needy" they should see one of my dwarves and have to eat one of those pigs brain omelets first to prove just how hungry ARE they?

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48250 on: August 21, 2016, 09:16:35 pm »

Started a new fort, partly because I was bored, partly because I don't tend to last to long on any individual fort.

Also because I learned a hell of a lot, and was drowning under the sheer weight of all the metal bars that refused to be organized into bins--because there were so damn many of them.

So I started a new fort, and this time I have a migrant cap of 10, with a a hard cap of 50, because it sounded like fun to me. I'm also trying an aquifer (even if I dug down around it), and somehow failed to punch through (I think).

I embarked literally next to a goblin settlement, with another one about 5 embark squares away. I came upon a place with ~4 silk buildings, and 1-2 leather buildings. In disassembling the (or one of the?) leather buildings, one of the first migrants died. because leather smacked him upside the head. Leaving his child an orphan (he apparently didn't have a mother).

Embarked with ~25 Cave Spider Silk, and no leather. I bought one bin of leather. I now have 119 Leather (109 Pond Grabber Leather), and 554 Silk Cloth (221 Troll Fur, 333 Cave Spider Silk). WOO. I love these embarks.

I want to turn this into my latest obsession: trying to make a generational fort. I have room for 1 more migrant.

I'm taking things much slower this time, and it's easier than last time because I didn't have like 5-700 logs total in the beginning trees. Instead, this time, I have a full 31x31 wood stockpile safely underground, a full 27x13 on my initial entrance layer, and STILL have tons of logs left over outside even after converting tons of them (~500 easily) to Charcoal. Still gonna need to be careful not to use them *all* up.

I'm going to be making a serious effort to try to phase out all my stone/wooden barrels/pots. Try to go with a purely Glass Pot system, so I don't need to worry about offending the elves, and they can still bring me exotic animals, that I can turn against them ina hundred years or so.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48252 on: August 22, 2016, 06:25:21 am »

Genned another fort to play while Mansionvipers runs in the background.  Daggerblue is located partially in a haunted biome and partially in a terrifying one.  The last time I tried this, some undead ravens came and slaughtered my group before I even got the first barrel of booze underground.  This time I embarked with 2 dwarves with 5 points in axes and 5 in dodging to protect the group.  In retrospect I should have made this 5 in hammer instead, but it's too late to change it now.

There were undead geese on the map when I arrived, but they didn't notice the group and I got everyone and everything underground in time.  It doesn't seem to be a reanimating biome, which is good, because I don't want to deal with undead heads, undead hair, and especially undead head hair.  I also don't want to deal with strange moods before I have the fort set up, but I'm allowing migration, so I set my hard cap to 19.  Thus far I've gotten a cheesemaker, a presser, a shearer, a strand extractor, and a woodcutter, all super-useful to a burgeoning fort with zero animals and no remaining trees just now.  One of them likes cats.  BLEH.  I've run generation forts for so long I'd forgotten how annoying it is to find roles for migrants with useless skills.

The embark is fantastic, with sand, fire clay, many z-levels of stone before I reach the first cavern layer, trees but not too many trees, a huge array of aboveground crops, and dwarf blood raining constantly from the sky.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48253 on: August 22, 2016, 11:50:37 am »

Nutsmountain is rolling along well. Got about 30 goblins outside, 8 more in cages; they seem too scared to come farther along the main hallway. I can't blame them; that's ten total goblins in cages.
In other news, the magma smeltery room is up and running, I just need to issue the orders to A. smelt millions of iron and B. smelt millions of pig iron. C., smelt steel, waits awhile. But there's a good reserve of steel already for the mail shirts I need to produce. And I'm working for high-quality armor only. Once  this armorsmith levels a little more, it ought to result in a good proportion of Exceptional and maybe even some Masterwork pieces, which will save some dwarves from bad injuries from the lucky goblin Lashers.... xD.
Anyways, it only took me 6 savescums to do it: three to fix one !!manager!! issue that I failed to resolve three times in a row, and the other three to not melt much of the lower reaches of my fortress. Also the burning dwarves weren't helpful, I had a bad arrangement that resulted in !!dwarves!! running up a staircase that I had no means to lock down and deny to them... oops.
But it's okay, because the manual pump section (9 total, snaking around to avoid caverns, I didn't think it was worth fiddling with machinery) is below  the rest of the fort, which would have meant, had I been inclined to do so, the militia could have been left to their own devices to burn, and the rest of the fort could have survived. Except for the FPS, doomed to magma flowing through large amounts of open space and staircases.
Waiting for the goblins to make up their minds out there - will they advance, or will they stay back? I'm not sending an unarmored militia after them; they're not THAT skilled, not yet, though if I quick-rig the Heroes squad I'm gonna make to train Greats up to Legendary by continuous work, I could probably end the fighting with a minimum of casualties: issue the order, unpause, wait a second, issue orders to the other squads. That will result in a wall of flashing weapons and sturdy shields, backed up by slower and less skillful dwarves, but who will face far less opposition from wounded and surrounded opponents.

Militias are fun to watch. Last siege, they hit the 10 goblins, and suddenly the place was full of flying body pieces and blood spatters.
None from the dwarves, all from the goblins.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48254 on: August 23, 2016, 03:52:26 am »

Bladefountains, 2nd half of Year Three, and Early Spring of Year Four.

What was done/happened in Autumn:
Dwarven Caravan.
Mechanic entered strange mood (Possesed IIRC.).
Creation of water cistern.
Fortress almost reached pop cap. (95 max, currently 93.)

What was done/happened in Winter:
Caught Giant Honey Badger... Only to find she's asexual.
Catsplosion contained.
Swordorfs are Swordmasters now.

Early Spring:
Best. Elven caravan. EVER! (two male saltwater crocs, one asexual, one hetero. They're not giant, but they are still good.)
Forging silver war hammers. (I can get you dorfed as militia commander, if you want.)

Sorry for lack of screenshots again, i was kinda depressed yesterday (don't know the reason for my depression), and played DF in short bursts only.

Pages: 1 ... 3215 3216 [3217] 3218 3219 ... 3842