Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3184 3185 [3186] 3187 3188 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127000 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47775 on: July 04, 2016, 01:45:12 pm »

1. Build down stairs
2. Dig upstairs beneath.
3. Make slade statue.
4. ???? Thank the people who put the thing on the wiki - there's a reason for my signature.

But you know, if you doubt my ability to fulfil three-step plan while claiming me to be capable of modding things or painting hell...yanno, the second is lot harder than the first?

I'll eagerly await your two-designation plan for reaching hell :v

I think designating the initial staircase from surface and then another staircase to slade peak would leave you with 0 designations to actually deal with demons, though. Alas, 3-step plans are apparently too hard for me so your ingenious designs are clearly not doable by me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:52:22 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47776 on: July 04, 2016, 01:50:24 pm »

Ah, glorious exploits. And as for conquering hell?

1. Space marines.
2. ???
3. Profit!

In all honestly, I'd start by opening up hell only via fortifications, or by a drawbridge/cave-in bomb device, with some poor sap and/or puppy as bait. Then either turn the trapped demons into a shooting gallery, or eliminate at will with a cave-in bomb. Then if possible and needed, rinse and repeat until it's feasible to send people in and build a way down.

At that point you'd just hoping you'll have numbers, equipment, and training on your side.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47777 on: July 04, 2016, 01:59:39 pm »

Nothing exciting to report out of Showerblockades. Things are going too smoothly if anything. The castle is complete, we have roads to 3 of the 4 edges, just expanded the dining hall and added guest rooms above it in case we ever get guests. We now have a baron alongside our queen, in another year he'll be upgraded to count but his rooms are already suitable for a duke.Still no sign of trouble, I thought I had embarked close enough to the goblins to come by often. Yes, I'm slightly annoyed by the lack of bloodshed.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #47778 on: July 04, 2016, 11:08:25 pm »

In Spearstern 80 dwarves live behind sandy clay walls on the surface. It's small military has held back Ruthertaur, Helmet-Snakemen, Pandeshi and Badgermen sieges (and quietly cowered once) while a pumpstack goes down and the walls further up. The month after the 3-z high walls are ringed with an overhanging floor to stop climbers 5 or 6 Greater Fiend Spider Wrestlers lay siege. I was quite pleased with our chances now fighting from a secure location. Then the deadly spiders got stomped flat in second by at least four ambush squads of still-invisible stealth War Elephants. Looks like the human traders in a few days are going to have an unprofitable trip.

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47779 on: July 05, 2016, 03:38:23 pm »

Nothing special, just a little "What is that??" moment when one of my dwarfs created "A masterfully secret line".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turns out, it is much less exciting than the title.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just caused one short moment of confusion.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #47780 on: July 05, 2016, 03:49:28 pm »

Hey, I'd love to have that book IRL. It sounds like a really artistic custom piece or something.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47781 on: July 05, 2016, 07:01:49 pm »

Another quiet summer. We're a Duchy now, I guess we skipped the county stage. Of our 10 dwarf militia we have 9 weapons lords of whom 8 are legendary. The tenth is the Queen's hubby who was enlisted so he could train with her and has become adept with an axe. The smith and tailor are hard at work replacing worn clothes and armor as the haulers bring rocks to the newly assigned pile. I don't have a project, just tired of having them clutter the halls.

I'd like to give this fort to the dwarves but I'm not at all convinced they'd keep it running and not all just follow me to the next site leaving this one to the goblins.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47782 on: July 05, 2016, 07:09:38 pm »

We've bred quite a few dragons, and to prevent any unfortunate military/dragon "misunderstandings," all the dragons are on tethers in a room behind a switchback with several pet-impassible doors in it.  I'm finding that the dragons are both incredibly bad at keeping out of one another's space and also incredibly short-tempered.  They don't breathe fire or anything, but they do keep scratching one another up, and several times I've seen one off its leash.  I think they're dodging right off the restraints, which is an interesting and unpleasant finding.  Once I have a high enough population I'm just going to cage up the males, so I don't feel like rearranging the room at this point.  I just need to be careful about when I unforbid the door and let dwarves inside.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47783 on: July 06, 2016, 03:44:12 pm »

My dwarves continue to suffer under their cruel queen's rule. Despite having taken possession of two artifacts, she still isn't satisfied. The newly found gold may be critical in calming her down, though.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47784 on: July 06, 2016, 03:53:06 pm »

My dwarves continue to suffer under their cruel queen's rule. Despite having taken possession of two artifacts, she still isn't satisfied. The newly found gold may be critical in calming her down, though.

Simpe: Make her some fine obsidian goods. Better yet, give her an in-depth tour of a delightful obsidian production facility.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47785 on: July 06, 2016, 04:32:32 pm »

The only furnishing that you can create from obsidian that you can't from gold is statue of Han Solo and burning dwarves.

That said, some screw pumps (architecture bonus) with steel corkscrews next to a statue ought to give her a fine room. (Wells, if it is cramped and you're going for artifact components).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47786 on: July 06, 2016, 05:21:15 pm »

You could always try moving her into some new luxury elevated condo furnished with golden pillars with a scenic view of the magma sea beneath. Beware of strong winds knocking it down that might just accidently *breeze* a dwarf into a important lever.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47787 on: July 06, 2016, 06:00:11 pm »

Make it custom-built magma sea with 1 tile of 6/7 magma and a pressure plate.

When the magma level beneath the realgar support lowers, it shatters apart in the cold.

No, I have no idea how long it takes to happen, even on average. And it's random.

thoushaltcallmelars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47788 on: July 07, 2016, 02:23:47 am »

Well, I just got my first werebeast. A weregecko, to be precise.
During the first couple weeks of the second spring when I only have 21 dwarves.

Elf caravan? I think one elf might be alive. Good job, weregecko, now my depot is painted red.
The poor fisherdwarf who saw it first? Prounounced dead on the spot. (-1 dwarves)
About half my fortress? Very badly injured. (I predict many deaths)
My only two war dogs? Dead.
My lone speardwarf/militia captain? Somehow unscathed despite only having partial armor.
I'm fairly certain it was my legendary Miner that killed it, too. I'll need to check and see, but I think they hit it last.

In other words, I'm going to be setting a hospital up really fast and hoping for the best. Yay...
Overseer Lars cancels Fortress Mode; Raging at his own stupidity.

Suffice to say, I shall forever associate all dyers with Bomrek Romekas, The Dyer, who slew four dwarves (and wounded a speardwarf) and a wardog while alive, without weapons, armor, or even clothing, before rising from the dead to rip three dwarves' limbs off. Wasn't even combat with the ghost, just "<ghost> batters <dwarf>" and I look and there's a leg, a sock, and a pool of blood.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47789 on: July 07, 2016, 07:16:53 am »

Several notable things happened in Swordscradle:

Firstly, I began construction of the underground trade depot, which was designed after a particularly bad experience with giant keas. I eventually decided to put a copper retractable bridge on top of it, then made it my fortress' sole entrance.

I also managed to satisfy the queen. A few golden doodads pushed her rooms into royal territory.

A child got possessed and made artifact cat bone leggings decorated with cat leather, phyllite, copper and gold. It's worth a ton and also useless.

Finally, a large merchant caravan visited (3 wagons, 5 other dwarves), as well as the outpost liason (which is weird because my fortress is the last remaining one). The civilizations screen told me all nobles not in my fort are 'merchants', but none of them match the merchants who visited me.

A few seconds after the merchant's arrival, I got my first titan. It's a large rabbit with feathers, a trunk, and a poisonous stinger. Fortunately, it got distracted by a few boars and chased them long enough for the caravan to safely get inside (I knew building an underground depot was a good idea).
Pages: 1 ... 3184 3185 [3186] 3187 3188 ... 3842