Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3183 3184 [3185] 3186 3187 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126824 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47760 on: June 29, 2016, 11:11:33 am »

Tons of challenges... no surface access, no metal apart from three picks, no ore, did bring nothing but the picks and an anvil on embark.

Ouch. Maybe melt down a pick, use the metal to forge an axe, use the axe to chop down some trees (even if there's no water the third cavern layer should have blood thorns)? You can then use the trees to create a long array of cage traps without needing metal. Either that, or go straight for the adamantine.

I fear for your safety if a FB shows up, though.

I have only one cavern layer and it has vegetation, but no drinkable water. So, I can comfortably live in lockdown, I guess I will wall off a good part for now. Water generation will be a pain though. It needs magma (it actually is only 10 z below the ice at the highest point). But even so... I don't seem to have sand only clay, so nethercap seems to be my only hope for magma transportation, hope that works out.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47761 on: June 29, 2016, 11:43:29 am »

Tons of challenges... no surface access, no metal apart from three picks, no ore, did bring nothing but the picks and an anvil on embark.

Ouch. Maybe melt down a pick, use the metal to forge an axe, use the axe to chop down some trees (even if there's no water the third cavern layer should have blood thorns)? You can then use the trees to create a long array of cage traps without needing metal. Either that, or go straight for the adamantine.

I have only one cavern layer and it has vegetation, but no drinkable water. So, I can comfortably live in lockdown, I guess I will wall off a good part for now. Water generation will be a pain though. It needs magma (it actually is only 10 z below the ice at the highest point). But even so... I don't seem to have sand only clay, so nethercap seems to be my only hope for magma transportation, hope that works out.

How about caravans? Do you get those?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47762 on: June 29, 2016, 12:44:33 pm »

How about caravans? Do you get those?

I don't know. My first autumn just started. (They won't survive the current surface with undead, I guess.)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47763 on: June 29, 2016, 09:34:30 pm »

The dwarves of the Faithful Earth have become expert crundle and elk bird trainers.  This means that I'm now slowly recovering FPS by sending 100 useless animals to the abattoir.  Once we become expert bugbat trainers, much of the extraneous livestock will be gone.  The animal trainers will also be freed up somewhat to attend to more valuable critters.

The orchard wall is 6-z from grade, which is about half as high as I want it to be.  The work goes quickly once materials are at hand; the enclosure is being constructed from green glass, and making hundreds of green glass blocks takes time.

A second dragon stopped by, a female this time, which means that I'm about to try breeding dragons.  Dragons are even more useless than rocs, since they take effectively forever to reach a reasonable butchering size, but their eggs are valuable, so I'll be using them for eggs after I breed a supply, presuming that my pair is good and will produce fertile eggs.  It's not like I need meat right now anyway; the butchering spree has left the fort with ~5500 units of meat.  The brewer is having a hard time finding containers in which the brew, since everything is full of meat.

Oh, look what came up as I was typing this post:

Off with their hideous little low-value heads!

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47764 on: July 01, 2016, 01:16:07 pm »

Our queen finally has suitable chambers thanks to my legendary engraver filling them with masterpieces. Now he's doing the same for the other, much smaller, underground rooms so everyone has opportunity to appreciate art.

Still no sign of invasion, which is good because we're deforesting the surface again for building material. The wooden castle is coming along pretty nicely.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47765 on: July 02, 2016, 05:09:08 am »

Generated a world that's basically a 3x3 island rising from an endless terrifying ocean. The sole dwarven civilization is dying, so my tanner/leatherworker/herbalist/cook assumed the position of queen shortly after embarking.

This means I've been spending over seven months now trying to give Urist McPsychoqueen the royal accomodations she desires. Also, she'll demand I make some scepters basically every season, and because of her banning their export I can't even sell them.

At the moment, she seems more-or-less content with the rough stone rooms I've given her, but I feel like I'm going to need to increase the room values quickly. Hopefully a migrant wave will come soon (to allow strange moods) or I'll strike precious metals.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47766 on: July 02, 2016, 04:46:30 pm »

The orchard wall is 12 z from grade and partially roofed over.  The remainder will have to wait, however; we've reached expert level in training giant lizards, so all the giant lizards are going to the abattoir.  There are almost 100 of them.   :o  I covet the fps those lizards are currently eating.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47767 on: July 02, 2016, 09:47:55 pm »

Nearly two years in, and no visits from the humans, elves, or goblins. Odd since I'm pretty sure the pre-embark screen had them all as neighbors.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47768 on: July 03, 2016, 03:44:43 am »

More digging and monarch-appeasing, with mixed success. I found tetrahedrite, so I decided to give Queen Psychodwarf a nice silver throne encrusted with clear tourmalines. Anything to boost room value...

When browsing the unit screen, I noticed one of my dwarves was 'hunting for vermin'. Thinking I'd made a mistake with job assignment, I zoomed to him... and discovered he was stuck on top of a tree, severely dehydrated and starved.

Being the dynamic overseer I am, I ordered the tree cut down. Turns out a 5 z-level fall is enough to kill a dwarf. Swordcradle has lost someone for the first time.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47769 on: July 03, 2016, 07:30:28 am »

How ironic. My first fort-death was also tree-related. Only it was the fort's only woodcutter and it happened when a falling log disintegrated his leg and threw him into a nearby knee-deep pond, where he drowned. Had to drain the pond to recover the body(and more importantly, the axe).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47770 on: July 04, 2016, 06:06:09 am »

It might be just a testing fort, but I now have...

I've dug semi-molten rock
I've dug slade
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:10:07 am by Fleeting Frames »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47771 on: July 04, 2016, 06:41:48 am »

It might be just a testing fort, but I now have...

I've dug semi-molten rock
I've dug slade

Nice, but pictures of your hell z level or it didn't happen.

Could totally be faked super easily by custom reactions or modding in a alternate stone to look and be named like slade.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47772 on: July 04, 2016, 06:56:12 am »

Heck, painting a picture is probably easier than figuring out Toady's interface for modding - haven't found that in-game yet :P

Another thing that is easier: Actually doing this =) You don't need to believe me that it is possible, you can do it yourself.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47773 on: July 04, 2016, 01:31:25 pm »

FINALLY got a pair of cave dragons.  I have gone through so many crundles and hungry heads trying to get the second cave dragon, and finally another one came through.

The orchard is also finished, but there is so much meat in the pantry I haven't put in a gathering zone yet.  Our population is 121, and even if all of them ate meat 100% of the time, we would still have literally years of meat.  We definitely don't need plums right now.

Also, this was flashing at me while I looking through the unit list:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn't notice this before!  I wonder if she was promoted to general after she came into dwarven custody.  I can't decide what to do with her.  I'm torn between putting her into the dining room where everyone can taunt her, or into the duchess' throne room as a trophy.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47774 on: July 04, 2016, 01:41:12 pm »

Adorable, but colonizing Hell is both easier and easier to DEPICT compared to doing that PLUS figuring out how to made slade obtainable. Okay, unless you modded out the undiggable token from slade, which would be amusing.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3183 3184 [3185] 3186 3187 ... 3842