Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3181 3182 [3183] 3184 3185 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127118 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47730 on: June 26, 2016, 03:10:25 pm »

On a semi-related note, giant chameleons give a ton of eggs.
*looks at raws listed in wiki*
[CLUTCH_SIZE:40:50]
Move over, cave crocsplosion.

They're kind of small for giant animals though nor large predators or war-trainable, but different biomes than saltwater crocodiles. I'm now imagining the deserts from glaciers to tropics covered by chameleon men civilizations who breed faster than goblins with that clutch size.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47731 on: June 26, 2016, 03:24:57 pm »

I successfully brought a necroslab into my fortress library using an adventurer! Libash Abbeytorch successfully raided a tower, losing nearly a dozen companions in the process, and recovered a slab revealing the secrets of life and death. I had some trouble deciding if I wanted him to read it or not, but eventually decided against it because he'd make a good addition to the fortress guard and I wouldn't want him to start a zombie spiral the first time I sent him into combat. Anyway, after recovering the slab it was a pretty safe jaunt over to Drinkwater, where I had specially prepared a facility to stash the slab in, featuring a corpse pit, zombie holding area, living quarters for our necromancer, and a private library. The only thing left to figure out is a way to release and, more importantly, corral the zombies again after they're no longer needed. Selecting a necromancer ought to be a challenge as well.

Meanwhile, the world is dying. It seems only the Steel of Idols has come out relatively unscathed. The elves, goblins, and humans are all conquering each other, heedless of the loss of life. In these last five years, the world's population has been nearly halved.

I wonder sometimes how often things like this happen. Sure the diplomat tells you things but actually getting context requires (as far as I know) backing up the save, abandoning, and going into legends mode. Or is there a better way?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47732 on: June 26, 2016, 05:11:07 pm »

Paperslide has lived up to its name, housing a vast library which is the envy of the continent.  My fearless elite military slaughters anything that comes near - current count is an ettin, 5 forgotten beasts (4 of whom ended up in the roasts), and a bronze colossus whose remains adorn our temple.

In preparation for the advent of the monarch (and the retirement of the fort), I have prepared clear glass statues for her of each of her illustrious ancestors... the one who invented a technology is raising a codex, the one who became obsessed with his mortality is contemplating corpses, etc.  The last few are of her chosen deity Vafig doing appropriate things to his spheres.

The only dark spot so far came when the new mayor had to be... removed.  He developed a passion for banning the trade of bins, and that just wouldn't do.  Sadly, he went missing a bit ago and the new mayor understands his role a bit better.

EDIT: A 4-named hydra just appeared and the military commander kicked it to death.  Each kick exploded a head; it couldn't even land a blow.  Kisat Dur for the win.  Don't argue with this dwarf.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:25:59 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Oblique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47733 on: June 27, 2016, 11:30:06 am »

After several false starts in evil biomes, I figured I'd do something slightly silly instead. Embarked with just a pick, an axe, and seven highly skilled musicians from a nearly dead mountainhome (the sole remaining noble is a goblin bonecarver who presides as king).

Everything went brilliantly for approximately 5 minutes of play time - then I noticed the blood. Artists being artists, there had been a spontaneous argument leading to the guitarist hitting the singer in the mouth, and then punching off his thumb. Yes. punching it off. I've made an emergency hospital and appointed a surprisingly competent doctor, but I still need some bits and bobs for the treatment. Luckily I appear to have a large supply of GCS silk webs, and a delegation has been dispatched to collect them. I'm sure it's perfectly safe.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:32:15 am by Oblique »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47734 on: June 27, 2016, 02:04:34 pm »

All Paperslide is caught up in worry over the fate of two of our noble Swordmasters, who were caught in a burst of forgotten beast gas and now have completely rotten bodies.  Surgeons are working round the clock to save them, but the prognosis is grim.  Even if they survive, will they have any quality of life?

UPDATE: It was worse than we feared.  The doctors claimed they were fine, but one by one they slipped away into death.  Damn you, Thefin the Hellish Knot!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:57:53 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47735 on: June 27, 2016, 03:11:59 pm »

Created a world with two dragons in one site/lair.  Checked them out in Legends mode, both female.  Tried again..
Found a second world with two dragons in one lair.  Checked them out in Legends mode, mating pair! Used Adventure mode to find the lair.
Embarked in fortress mode on top of the lair.
Used cage traps to snag them, trained them, stuck them on chains adjacent to each other.
Two dragon eggs show up.  dragon egg [2].
Wait one season.  Twins have hatched.
Both offspring are female.  Both immediately claim a nest box adjacent to their mother, and each new dragon immediately lays dragon egg [3]??? :o

I may be heading for a dragon-splosion in population...

On the plus side..
The dwarves of the Paddle of Arenas now know a few facts about dragon training.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47736 on: June 27, 2016, 03:16:37 pm »

The first preparations for the Designated Enclosures for Monsters and Other Nasties. (D.E.M.O.N) of the great fortress Atticfire have begun. Soon, the enclosures shall be filled with dozens upon dozens of beasts, displayed for the good of dwarvenkind.

On the topic of the other kind of dwarf-monster interactions, my first (and so far only) migrant wave brought a Competent hammerdwarf (also the first time I actually saw a married homosexual dwarf). I enlisted her into the militia, used most of my cut gems to buy her some caravan equipment (a steel warhammer, amongst other things), and so far she's already killed a giant snail and a water buffalo without any help. I had statues of said animals being mutillated commissioned, then put in the barracks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:36:38 pm by Derro »

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47737 on: June 27, 2016, 03:17:20 pm »

Created a world with two dragons in one site/lair.  Checked them out in Legends mode, both female.  Tried again..
Found a second world with two dragons in one lair.  Checked them out in Legends mode, mating pair! Used Adventure mode to find the lair.
Embarked in fortress mode on top of the lair.
Used cage traps to snag them, trained them, stuck them on chains adjacent to each other.
Two dragon eggs show up.  dragon egg [2].
Wait one season.  Twins have hatched.
Both offspring are female.  Both immediately claim a nest box adjacent to their mother, and each new dragon immediately lays dragon egg [3]??? :o

I may be heading for a dragon-splosion in population...

On the plus side..
The dwarves of the Paddle of Arenas now know a few facts about dragon training.

I thought monsters on whose lairs you embark were immune to cage traps, because they're considered residents?

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #47738 on: June 27, 2016, 03:36:42 pm »

Now that glazing works, I've started up a ceramics-focused fort.  All constructions are made of earthenware bricks, I'm trading in ceramics crafts, and glazing them with ash.

Not only does glazing now advance properly, it now has quality levels!  A basic ash glaze adds 50 dorfbucks, but a masterful ash glaze is worth 600 dorfbucks, so well-glazed statues can really bring a room's value up and well-glazed crafts are much more valuable than the baseline (and baseline earthenware is still worth as much as obsidian).  I'm in a region so heavily forested that the real challenge is keeping the trees down, so I haven't had any fuel problems, especially once I started buying truckloads of wood from the caravans with my crafts.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47739 on: June 27, 2016, 04:06:21 pm »

... I thought monsters on whose lairs you embark were immune to cage traps, because they're considered residents?
Didn't appear to be the case here, although I did have to be cautious when placing them, as I lost a mechanic to dragon fire on the first attempt to place the first cage trap.
So, while they didn't proactively hunt down my populace, they were definitely unfriendly. :)

Redman the Communist

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:LIGHT] [SPHERE:HEALING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47740 on: June 27, 2016, 05:21:19 pm »

I'm playing the newest version of DF, and I had one of my dwarves have a mysterious status effect I can't find anything about. He was flashing with a white 'm' but I have no idea what it meant, it wasn't him carrying anything because he would socialize and haul while he had it, but now I can't find him among all the dwarves, either he died somewhere and I have yet to notice, or he lost the m. Anyone have any ideas what it could have been?
A light cannot fade by darkness
it will shine even in the darkest corners of the world.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47741 on: June 27, 2016, 07:26:30 pm »

A legendary speardwarf who migrated here from my previous fort just declared herself queen of our civilization after polite discussion with local rivals.... I was so not ready for that. At all. I didn't even know it could happen. Time to build extravagant chambers I guess....

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47742 on: June 28, 2016, 12:55:36 am »

I'm playing the newest version of DF, and I had one of my dwarves have a mysterious status effect I can't find anything about. He was flashing with a white 'm' but I have no idea what it meant, it wasn't him carrying anything because he would socialize and haul while he had it, but now I can't find him among all the dwarves, either he died somewhere and I have yet to notice, or he lost the m. Anyone have any ideas what it could have been?
Pet mussel? Is that a thing?

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47743 on: June 28, 2016, 02:15:31 am »

Pet mussel? Is that a thing?

Mussels can't be tamed, I believe.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47744 on: June 28, 2016, 04:33:48 am »

Code: [Select]
The swordsdwarf scratches the raven in the head, tearing the muscle and shattering the skull!
The force pulls the neck and the upper spine is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
A tendon in the upper spine has been torn!
The raven falls over.
The swordsdwarf bites the raven in the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.
Pages: 1 ... 3181 3182 [3183] 3184 3185 ... 3842