Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3178 3179 [3180] 3181 3182 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127229 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47685 on: June 20, 2016, 11:58:07 pm »

Derro: Yes, but he really misses that one nephew :v

vjek: Oh boy. How to bacon like a pro, by Loud Whispers. It's an alunite slab, written in 21-07-2012. In the first chapter, there is description of meat industry in 0.34 fort. In the second chapter, there is description of the birth of new necromancer tower. The writing is fanciful, and overall prose is highly fun, in both meanings of the word.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #47686 on: June 21, 2016, 04:33:20 am »

Anyone got a skirmish with the gobs in a 43.04 fortress yet ?
I'm curious to see if it increases the challenge now that AI are able to wear more piece of armor, or if it counterbalance with armor being less impervious to hits.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47687 on: June 21, 2016, 05:09:33 am »

I got my first forgotten beast today. While working on expanding the magma forges, I was informed a giant, web-spewing, feathered slug had arrived on the second cave layer. With no direct passages into the layer, I shrugged and went back to getting my militia started.

A few minutes later, I notice my miners on the second layer dug into the caverns. Apparently I'd designated an unrevealed section of the caverns to be mined out, which then created a direct passage from the layer into my fortress. By the time I noticed, Beasty McBeast the Juices of Vultures had already killed one dwarf and a pet.

I commanded the passages above and below the beast to be walled off. This prevented the adamantine spire and magma forges from being accessible by the beast, but it also isolated the few dwarves present there from the food stockpile, booze stockpile, or bedrooms.

I now have a fortress divided in two by an angry megaslug (who's already killed around 20 dwarves), with the stuff I need to create a militia on one side and the place to train one on the other. A passage is being dug as we speak.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47688 on: June 21, 2016, 11:22:33 am »

My mercenary squads all reached legendary status in their chosen weapon skills, so I decided to finally try to get rid of the giant aluminum spider that's taken over my second cavern layer. 18 steel-clad Greater Badgermen and Tigermen Axelords, Swordmasters, and Hammerlords were deployed through my airlock gate to await the arrival of the forgotten beast.

Turns out, inorganic spider FBs are absurdly deadly. One webshot, one kick to the head, one dead mercenary. Meanwhile, the few weapon strikes that get through merely manage to fracture various superfluous legs. End result, eighteen dead mercenaries, one slightly battered aluminum spider with a longer name. I'm extremely glad I held back my adamantine-clad squad leaders for fear of exactly this result.

Next step, carving loopholes into the cavern wall near my airlock to try and take it down with potshots...

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47689 on: June 21, 2016, 01:19:30 pm »

The giant winged webslug left my mines to go hunt crundles or something (first time I've ever been glad these things exist), so I quickly sent someone down to seal off the place. The mines are mine once more!

Also, I've decided that once I have a decent military going, that FB is going to die slowly and painfully.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47690 on: June 21, 2016, 03:16:03 pm »

Next step, carving loopholes into the cavern wall near my airlock to try and take it down with potshots...
Instead of that, how about you turn it to the ends of your clothing industry/fortress defence with a bait? FB silk may not be especially valuable, but it would be fire-safe at least.

Otherwise, going to need minecarts to not have potshotting dwarves webbed.

Carpecanum

• Bay Watcher
  • your mother, for her haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #47691 on: June 21, 2016, 06:08:54 pm »

My forts are going great but I just can't get over how many dwarves die in the damn trees.  My miners can't channel near a tree, I can't use stepladders, I even have problems building a roof if its near a tree.  Its the only bug/problem that makes me not want to play. 
Filthy Casual ftw

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47692 on: June 21, 2016, 08:40:04 pm »

My forts are going great but I just can't get over how many dwarves die in the damn trees.  My miners can't channel near a tree, I can't use stepladders, I even have problems building a roof if its near a tree.  Its the only bug/problem that makes me not want to play.

In other news, I've determined that removing the trees makes the dwarves unable to die in them. Mostly.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47693 on: June 21, 2016, 10:35:05 pm »

Teleporting the outpost liaison out of limbo put the world back in order.  She and the duchess had an attend/conduct meeting job pair, but they met briefly and without dialogue.  Then the liaison went off-map, and now here in the autumn she is back as though nothing happened.

I'm mad I didn't think of/try this sooner.

We've mostly dealt with our animals; we're going to need more restraints for the hydras before they reach their population limit, but there are worse problems to have.  We're breeding the animals we want to breed, and keeping control on the ones we only want for the overall training list rating.  No more squirrelsplosions for Greatercrypts!  It may be time to start digging to the second cavern layer.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47694 on: June 22, 2016, 07:33:55 am »

Teleporting the outpost liaison out of limbo put the world back in order.  She and the duchess had an attend/conduct meeting job pair, but they met briefly and without dialogue.  Then the liaison went off-map, and now here in the autumn she is back as though nothing happened.

I'm mad I didn't think of/try this sooner...

How does one do this?  My liaison/caravan has been missing for decades.  Same with the human diplomat/caravan, except its only been about 10 years and at least the diplomat will still pause the game when he 'shows' up... not that he does.

My current plan was to wait for the liaison to die of old age and hope that would jar the system back into working order, but if I can teleport him back in... that would be grand.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #47695 on: June 22, 2016, 07:42:17 am »

I'm mad I didn't think of/try this sooner...

How does one do this?  My liaison/caravan has been missing for decades.  Same with the human diplomat/caravan, except its only been about 10 years and at least the diplomat will still pause the game when he 'shows' up... not that he does.

My current plan was to wait for the liaison to die of old age and hope that would jar the system back into working order, but if I can teleport him back in... that would be grand.
Maybe DFHack has something for that? I don't use it that often so...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47696 on: June 22, 2016, 08:40:21 am »

I started a new fortress with the 43.04 version and find playing vanilla un-fun for me.  I saved it and will wait until dfhack catches up. 

I went back to 42.06 save, and find it refreshing playing with the little quality of life tools. 

More migrants has come in Ironvale.  Our mostly above ground castle is starting to build on the 3rd floor. 
I ordered 8 more iron minecarts to be filled.  I am waiting for the haulers to dump the minecarts down the magma filling pit.

There are plenty of iron, but have not found flux.  That's ok, we will need to use iron for the Ironroad project anyway.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47697 on: June 22, 2016, 10:32:37 am »

Eh, for a start you should probably do a DFHack fix-unit-occupancy (just type that in the console). There's a significant chance your issues are caused by phantom units blocking the caravans/liaisons from spawning at the map edge.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47698 on: June 22, 2016, 02:55:01 pm »

Yes, what's up with the phantom units?  Has this always been a thing?  I just started noticing it in .43.03, but I would get "migrants!" announcements, and no migrants would show up.  Dwarf Therapist could see them, but they weren't on the (u)nits screen... very odd.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47699 on: June 22, 2016, 04:42:15 pm »

Really getting into the manager and custom designs. I have a temple with a shrine to each god worshipped in the fortress outfitted with a relevant statue. I've also set it up so that all my weapons and armor are stamped with the symbol of the local government in copper. I'm changing the image but I'm not sure to what. I was going with the queen of the elves impaled on a spear and screaming is always nice but that's wasted since we mostly fight goblins. Instead I'm going to do a burning anvil as a nice instantly recognizeable and dwarfy crest. Then I realized that with enough forges and stockpiles I could set it up so that every individual piece of armor gets a different, standardized symbol. Then I realized that I could customize armor by squad so that my melee dwarves and crossbowdwarves have different images on their armor. Then I realized a couple other things and I've been sitting here so long thinking about all the things I could do that I'm probably not going to get around to doing anything.
Pages: 1 ... 3178 3179 [3180] 3181 3182 ... 3842