Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3168 3169 [3170] 3171 3172 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128013 times)

xxt0tixx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47535 on: June 03, 2016, 02:18:37 pm »

Well... A cyclops arrived a week later and a minotaur the next month. They wander outside my fortress. They can't get in. I'm fine (I think)

Aaaand, the cyclops just destroyed the minotaur
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:27:45 pm by xxt0tixx »

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47536 on: June 03, 2016, 03:57:43 pm »

dont fish in areas with a lot of mussels otherwise u will get thousands of mussel shells that dont go away even if you have two craft workshops constantly making shell crafts

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47537 on: June 03, 2016, 04:07:51 pm »

dont fish in areas with a lot of mussels otherwise u will get thousands of mussel shells that dont go away even if you have two craft workshops constantly making shell crafts

o-r-o dump shells option.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47538 on: June 03, 2016, 04:27:11 pm »

@Urist: How many dwarves existed before you started playing? All dead or some as part of other civs?

I did not check Legends to identify how many still existed, and I'm not sure if the first caravan was hard-coded or not. I'll duplicate the file when I can and check.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47539 on: June 03, 2016, 05:09:11 pm »

entrance tower, inner ring and outer ring are done, but the moat is stil lonly one zlevel deep flat.
i lost an invaluable miner to a mistake: i designated them to mine away a wall instead of channeling. so the cavein crippled his leg and he lay there dying from thirst while his mates just went underground again.
noone even bothered getting him to the hospital. that's how i lost the lvl 20 miner :(
human siege of 6 stood there and after a few months just left.
no trees, so i was glad the caravan showed up to get rid of all the cut gems and rock crafts and get hands on some wood logs and wooden buckets, barrels etc.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47540 on: June 03, 2016, 09:51:57 pm »

"Landswalls" got two goblin sieges recently. And the militia could barely defeat them.

I had already reloaded my old save before the siege because the rookies all got themselves killed before a haunting fog hit the fort while the dwarves were burying corpse...

The second siege had more than 100 goblins, ogres and trolls. At first the dwarves walled themselves in and tried to wait for the invaders to leave, but when they didn't leave, the dwarves ran out of patience and tore down the walls...

This is what happened after that. The fort lost 3 soldiers in that battle, not including those who were injured.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47541 on: June 04, 2016, 12:47:22 am »

Year 17.  Fifteen years post-embark, the wall and gates are finally finished.  That was the last of the urgent work, and now that the area's wildlife is safely contained, the dwarves can spend some well-earned time relaxing, learning stuff, and hopefully making babies.  The population is still only 24.

We do at least have a military now.  Two dwarves, ages 15 and 14, are the pride of the fortress.

The duke consort has 29 pet cats.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47542 on: June 04, 2016, 12:07:58 pm »

1st of Granite, year 251. The first day of the second year of my fort, and Kib Lashbooks has claimed for himself the position of King of the Legendary Boulder!

You hear that goblins!? We ain't dead yet!

*Edit* Except, as soon as he declared himself King, I became unable to appoint any other noble positions, and since he was also my manager, bookkeeper, broker, and CMD, I now can't do anything. Going to save-scum and see if this is a bug.

**Edit-Edit** Huh. As soon as I re-loaded the game he didn't declare himself King. Interesting...

***Edit-Edit-Edit*** Alright, now it took a bit of time for him to declare himself King, but he still did so, and all vacant noble positions or ones that were claimed by him were no longer available to assign dwarves to.

***Final Edit**** Okay, figured it out. Because the expedition leader declared himself King, I no longer had an expedition leader, which meant I could no longer appoint dwarves to positions until I would inevitably reach 50 dwarves and elect a mayor. Fixed the issue by replacing expedition leader before declaration of Kingship.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:31:55 pm by Urist McShire »

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47543 on: June 04, 2016, 12:36:19 pm »

That sounds like a pretty serious bug, albeit one that wouldn't come up too often. I think you should submit a report. Maybe attach a save since it's not the easiest situation to set up.
Akur Akir Akam!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #47544 on: June 04, 2016, 12:36:38 pm »

1) Look through the raws and find the position with the highest precedence (lowest number). If I remember correctly this is the CMD, but check raws or wiki before you try it.
2) Assign that position to the person you want to be king, make sure this person is NOT expedition leader.
3) when this person becomes king you should still be able to assign nobles as normal.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47545 on: June 04, 2016, 12:37:36 pm »

It's okay, I figured it out. Because the one who became king was the expedition leader, that caused me to be unable to appoint any other nobles and he ceased doing his other jobs.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47546 on: June 04, 2016, 02:16:52 pm »

27 Hematite, year 251. The first baby is born in the fortress of Zatthudzaneg (Judgedrelics). A darling baby boy. It is a cause for celebration and hope for the dwarves of our dying civilization.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47547 on: June 04, 2016, 04:50:43 pm »

Spoiler: The colors! :o (click to show/hide)

This world contains every conceivable geological feature known to Dwarf.  That huge swath of grey & white icons near the bottom represents Dwarven settlements & Fortresses.  Sadly, most have been destroyed :(  The Dwarves who settled in that SouthWest mountain area are doing quite well for themselves though.  There is also a weak-ish but still hanging on Dwarven civ in the top right corner.  So yeah, the hardest part won't be finding the types of land I want to embark on, but choosing which one is the coolest :D

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47548 on: June 04, 2016, 07:14:25 pm »

After over 200 years of abandonment, DenEarths, the First Fortress, has almost been restored to its rightful place as the seat of Dwarven civilization. Once it does, the dying dwarven race will once again have a home to call their own. If all goes to plan, the King should be arriving in no more than two years. A truly legendary throne room was recently completed for his use. For now though, the dwarves have much work to do fortifying the perimeter and completing all the requirement's for the king's arrival.

The militia here is expertly trained and each member is outfitted in a full suit of bronze armor. Unfortunately, they have only had to fight two smaller goblin sieges, and it's not clear how they will fare when facing enemies numbering in the hundreds.

However, right now it seems that the greatest enemy to the fortress is not goblins, but trees. Despite efforts to control them, they continue to pop up everywhere, sapping our defenses and causing delays in construction. Most recently, one forced its way up underneath a turret on the perimeter wall which was being constructed at the time. The sapling broke through 8 tiles of the turret and the floor below it, causing them to fall on the fortress' legendary cook who was standing beneath them at the time, killing him instantly. If this happens again, I may just pave over the entire area.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47549 on: June 04, 2016, 07:19:28 pm »

Another siege.

This time the dwarves build some weapon traps which killed 1/4 of the attacking force before jammed, excellent.

Haunting fog was still the biggest threat...the dwarves were building a trophy room that would store caged enemies when the fog crawled near. The dwarf who was installing a door was turned into a husk, then the fog fill the room via the unfinished door... I reloaded the previous save after half of my militia force died with their husk commander.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:27:23 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »
Pages: 1 ... 3168 3169 [3170] 3171 3172 ... 3842