Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3167 3168 [3169] 3170 3171 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127846 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47520 on: June 02, 2016, 06:19:49 pm »

60+ goblin siege arrived at Romanceswords. They all ran swarming to my walls on their way to my Yahoo corridor, defended by 4 weapon traps armed with green glass serrated disks and silver war hammers. One foolish marksdwarf decided to climb her fortification, drop down into the middle of the goblin horde, and start punching them. She died...a hero.

Seeing her efforts, and not wanting them to be in vain, our brave militia was galvanized into action. Marksdwarves shot dead goblins who'd climbed trees to get at our walls, our traps dealt death and slaughter to no less than twenty of their number before they were all clogged with the bodies, and our dwarves armed with swords and war hammers slaughtered the enemy. In the end, only about a dozen goblins escaped to tell the tale.

Now the issue of trying to melt and sell off all of their crap is before me.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47521 on: June 02, 2016, 10:59:58 pm »

This year's goblin siege was comparable to last year's and this year we saw our thirty marksdwarves all stay behind their fortifications and slaughter nearly all of the dreaded goblins on the field through their excellent archery skills. Only four of the goblins made it to the traps, and only three managed to escape the map. Our melee dwarves didn't get to do anything when they charged the field this year, but four war grizzly bears climbed over our own walls to engage the enemy and did hold them up for a bit, before they were swarmed and overwhelmed. They will be memorialized for their sacrifice in holding the enemy there, acting as bait to keep the enemy in place so our crossbows could put more bolts into them.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47522 on: June 02, 2016, 11:35:43 pm »

A design oversight in my recently overrun fortress caused the fort to collapse.  Much as I hoped for a rout, my army didn't stand a chance.  70-80 goblins, trolls, and beak dogs vs my mismatched army with their bare fists.  Two entrances with unbuilt bridges with a direct access to the the main quarters, and I hadn't yet begun a proper military.  As well, I posted the army at the wrong entrance.  Mercs were the closest thing to proper soldiers.  Misc. armor and weapons lay about, but uncompleted walls and unstable stores doomed me.  As well, it would be difficult to handle the aftermath with so many bodies, and considering the very, very weak stomachs of the civies.  Well, time to start another fortress. 
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47523 on: June 02, 2016, 11:37:44 pm »

With Romanceswords doing so well, I'm thinking of starting a new embark using an extinct dwarf civ for a challenge. Anyone know how to generate one, or will I just have to watch the world develop and wait for the dwarf civs to fall?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47524 on: June 03, 2016, 12:40:01 am »

The easiest way is indeed probably just to repeatedly generate worlds, insofar as it doesn't involve messing with raws.  Gen-wise, I tended to get rather murderous results from cranking up the number of megabeasts on smaller or pocket worlds before I realized why various civilizations kept getting wiped out in the first two years and dialed it back a bit.  While I never tried it myself, a trick I heard about before that you could probably use to guarantee death is to alter the raws to reduce the life expectancy of the dwarves to something like two years or so then run world-gen for at least three years or more years to make sure you get them all.  Just make certain you revert the change inside the save-specific raws after generating and before you actually embark, lest you end up with a fort that will die before it even leaves the cradle. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:42:10 am by Culise »

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47525 on: June 03, 2016, 12:48:37 am »

Thanks. Managed to get one generated about a half hour ago. Smaller world size, lots of sites, lots of civs, lots of beasts and savagery. At first the dwarf civ looked to be doing okay, making roads between it and the human one, but then it looks as though the goblins swept through and destroyed it. Humans are still around, though, so it looks like I have one trading partner against a swarm of goblins.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47526 on: June 03, 2016, 02:14:17 am »

A 12 years old peasant became the baron.
A planter trapped himself on a tree. He died right before a woodcutter cut down the tree.

The cage traps caught two goblins, a giantess and two werebeasts. I wonder if they can become husks when exposed to haunting fog.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47527 on: June 03, 2016, 03:11:23 am »

Urist:I keep genning world where they're wiped out, myself...One thing to note though: Dwarven civ must spawn for fort mode to be available, but it's fine if they become a ruin and die out afterwards.

What's that, you painted 8 megabeast caves right next to the only place dwarven civ can spawn? Aw, they're all dead.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47528 on: June 03, 2016, 06:37:48 am »

to ensure that gobbos don't rule the world by year 125 i just made them die by old age at age 20.
also that gives them a reason for snatching kids.
my current fort will (once finished) have a tower entrance and two outer rings on the surface, seperated by a 8 tiles wide drymoat with an overhang. i hope the first ring gets done before the enemies come.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47529 on: June 03, 2016, 10:19:47 am »

Ironborn Diaries 5: Ironlake (Ironroad Quest)

Spring 203 Report. 

Heh, I was only in year 202 from my last update.  I started in 199, so this is only my 3rd year!

Another Heh, my longest fort is less 5 year, from boredom or distraction.  I'm already distracted.  Why?

Issue 1: Because that FB Flyer Webber can't be captured, and I spend the evening trying to device a plan to lure it to a room for combination of silk farming, and webbed trap for other capture-able enemies via webbed cage traps.

Issue 2: I am overwhelmed on what to do with my prisoners: 5 necromancers, 20 keas, 30+ human/elf zombies, and 10+ human/elves.

I only managed to a 2z drop mass pitting with 10x1 marksdwarf shutters, and 1x5 necro shutter, and 2 1x1 gladiator entrances. 

Thinking on who should go kill the keas first.  9 hatch mass pitting with the 10 "Kea Defenders" sounds fun, my Xbow squad of 8 +2 recruits are using hammers now to melee and train their Armor Users up.  I should probably remove the shield.

Two other squad is on active training:
My lone Captain of the Guard wielding the only Large Dagger in the fort.  Knife User 5 now, started from 0, and alone in the squad.
And 9 Lashers from confiscated Copper, Bronze, and Silver Whips.  Lasher+4 is the highest skill.
After this squad gets level 10 in skill, the lashers will join the Captain of the Guard.

Issue 3: Oh, I have an Axeman with a +3 but has 11 Wresting and has been teaching wresting to my Axedwarf squad.  May be good, or bad. 
Everyone else is off training duties since I need more wood chopped, and finish roofing the 4th floor. 

Progress.  I settled to only have some 3rd floor above ground.  A 7-wide hall way from main stairs to depot to entry hall, north to south. 
And 2 more elevated archery ranges.  So my total archery range is 40; but only have 10 marksdwarves now.  Overdone, but it's done. 

I really should focus on retiring the fortress soon. 

My goals are:
(done)  Make an Outpost and it's already almost a barony.
(50%) Equip a Military.  I should have 100 equip in iron at least. 
Build Towers.  I only built 2 so far.  Suppose to be 1 tower every ~20 tiles apart.  It's a 4x4 embark, and I'm on 2/3 portion separated by 10+ wide stream.
Build Roads North to South; and East to West. 

Maybe too much of a list.  I'm getting distracted to try something else. 
But I also want to continue on the same map.
Build a new fortress adjacent to this, with roads connecting.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47530 on: June 03, 2016, 11:46:00 am »

The first year of my dead/dying civ embark has gone exceedingly well, apart from the depot not having been finished construction when autumn rolled around, and then there was a spam of job cancellations as a flock of Kea decided to interrupt my trading. 14 dwarves now call my fortress its home, and we are quickly working at excavating and smelting down the large amounts of tetrahedrite, magnetite, hematite, and limonite we've found so that we will be ready to produce all of the metallic goods we need to survive fights against the goblins that destroyed our civ. It will be a long and arduous battle, but we are fortified and prepared to do whatever it takes to defend our new home.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47531 on: June 03, 2016, 11:50:39 am »

Oh Keas, my bane to early embarks. My Xbow squad is named "Kea Defenders".  When keas show up, I station them by the depot until the kea are all dead.  Free xbow skill up, even with bone crossbow and bone bolts.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47532 on: June 03, 2016, 12:00:38 pm »

Every dwarf will undergo mandatory military training. Probably nine of them will become crossbow dwarves and the other five will be given melee weapons, likely one of each spear, sword, mace, hammer, and axe.

xxt0tixx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47533 on: June 03, 2016, 12:57:53 pm »

My fortress was being destroyed by a Bronze Colossus...
But it got stuck behind the mason's workshop! Unfortunately, everything near it is being interrupted and nothing can be done. He is stuck in my entrance. So, yeah... It's kinda FUNny.

( Hope the image works, first post :D )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47534 on: June 03, 2016, 01:34:46 pm »

Well, you could seal him in, dig around the river and have free infinite marksdwarf training dummy, until they die. Kind of an annoyance though, I guess.

@Urist: How many dwarves existed before you started playing? All dead or some as part of other civs?
Pages: 1 ... 3167 3168 [3169] 3170 3171 ... 3842