Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3051 3052 [3053] 3054 3055 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095453 times)

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45780 on: January 26, 2016, 09:19:18 am »

I noticed one of the human guests was a lord consort.
Thats not to exotic, my first fortress had three barons at one point.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45781 on: January 26, 2016, 10:01:42 am »

I took some days off DF to do some schoolwork, install a new hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. DF doesn't seem to be running any faster. I've had a "library" open for a while, but I've had no visiting scholars and my resident scholars aren't doing much scholaring (not that I really want them too, after all there's a lot of hauling to still be done).

By the way, I've set up a stockpile near my "above ground" farms that contain only hemp, whip vines and seeds of those plants. I should be able to link that stockpile to some workshops and still have planters take seeds from it, right?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45782 on: January 26, 2016, 12:09:58 pm »

I don't think setting up a pond zone and having dwarves throw buckets of water would be sufficient, or would it?

Straight onto the magma?  No.  But setup a pond zone behind a floodgate nearby, so that you can open the gate and have it flood over the magma as 2/7 depth or more, and you should be sorted without needing to worry about pressure or enough water to flood the forges.  Might make the floor a little muddy though.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45783 on: January 26, 2016, 01:32:31 pm »

In anticipation of 42.06, with the export wealth bug fixed and the capability to become the Mountainhome restored, I have begun to prepare the King's furniture.  I have all the masterwork gold furniture made, and have a stockpile chain to get it all studded with silver, copper, rose gold, and steel.  Then on to the jeweller for a crust of a few different gems.  Hopefully between all of those additions, each piece will wind up with at least one masterful decoration. - so that they all look like "☼«☼gold cabinet☼»☼".

Next project is figuring out how to dig ramps 100 z levels down through all three caverns so the trade depot is actually in my fortress.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45784 on: January 26, 2016, 01:49:27 pm »

I looked at the floor of my duke's future throne room and found to my horror that it was not obsidian but mere diorite! All that work to cast that obsidian, and all I got out of it was walls! I may as well have skipped the casting and just constructed a fortress! By the way, does anyone know the base value of engraved stone walls/floors and of constructed walls/floors? I'm seriously considering just building gold floors over that diorite.

I have slaughtered all my tame giant olms and giant toads. There are some more in the caverns that I'll catch no doubt, but fuck it, I'll slaughter them too. I am DONE with farming them in this fort. If I need more expensive leather, I'll import it and if I need more expensive bones I've got cave crocodiles.

I have captured a female GCS; hopefully I'll capture a male soon too. In the meantime, I'll need to figure out how to make a silk farm with a tame GCS.

Question about caravans: If I request Item A from a caravan, will also requesting Item B reduce the amount of Item A they bring next year? I've decided that next year I'm dumping all my roasts on the caravan, and want to get the most good stuff I can out of it.

In anticipation of 42.06, with the export wealth bug fixed and the capability to become the Mountainhome restored, I have begun to prepare the King's furniture.  I have all the masterwork gold furniture made, and have a stockpile chain to get it all studded with silver, copper, rose gold, and steel.  Then on to the jeweller for a crust of a few different gems.  Hopefully between all of those additions, each piece will wind up with at least one masterful decoration. - so that they all look like "☼«☼gold cabinet☼»☼".

Next project is figuring out how to dig ramps 100 z levels down through all three caverns so the trade depot is actually in my fortress.
Armok, and I thought I was ambitious.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #45785 on: January 26, 2016, 02:38:58 pm »

Just build ramps in a spiral pattern imo, like you see in a worldgen fort.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Antikythera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45786 on: January 26, 2016, 03:57:54 pm »

my fort had 12 starting dwarves with a pop limit of 12 and a child cap set to 50:100.
i edited the raws to get 99% hetero dwarves.
also 2m/3f pigs dogs and cats to ensure at least one breeding pair of each.

then i sealed them in. no trade. no migrants.

i got 5 dwarf males 7 females and one of the males formed a grudge with the only age appropriate possible wife.
so 4 breeding pairs.
they now have 6 boys and 6 girls between the ages of 4 and 10. so hopefully i'll double my population every 12 or so years from now on.

i just released magma from the top of the volcano to char the surface.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #45787 on: January 26, 2016, 04:56:02 pm »

I looked at the floor of my duke's future throne room and found to my horror that it was not obsidian but mere diorite! All that work to cast that obsidian, and all I got out of it was walls! I may as well have skipped the casting and just constructed a fortress! By the way, does anyone know the base value of engraved stone walls/floors and of constructed walls/floors? I'm seriously considering just building gold floors over that diorite.

I have slaughtered all my tame giant olms and giant toads. There are some more in the caverns that I'll catch no doubt, but fuck it, I'll slaughter them too. I am DONE with farming them in this fort. If I need more expensive leather, I'll import it and if I need more expensive bones I've got cave crocodiles.

I have captured a female GCS; hopefully I'll capture a male soon too. In the meantime, I'll need to figure out how to make a silk farm with a tame GCS.

Question about caravans: If I request Item A from a caravan, will also requesting Item B reduce the amount of Item A they bring next year? I've decided that next year I'm dumping all my roasts on the caravan, and want to get the most good stuff I can out of it.

Armok, and I thought I was ambitious.
So ridiculous, I doubt anybody will mind if you hack it away.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #45788 on: January 26, 2016, 05:03:09 pm »

Moody weaponsmith has created a very cool weapon. I present you Gonggashëloth, 'Flayerbuck', the adamintine short sword, worth 882000 bucks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

https://plus.google.com/102772427390479092252/posts/azB83eTe3Zx
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:04:48 pm by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45789 on: January 26, 2016, 06:12:33 pm »

Moody weaponsmith has created a very cool weapon. I present you Gonggashëloth, 'Flayerbuck', the adamintine short sword, worth 882000 bucks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

https://plus.google.com/102772427390479092252/posts/azB83eTe3Zx

Flayerbuck? Sounds like a name more fit for a whip...

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45790 on: January 26, 2016, 07:51:04 pm »

So ridiculous, I doubt anybody will mind if you hack it away.
I would, but the latest version of DFHack doesn't seem to like 42.03.

I wish I could tell you that I've gotten an impressive amount of underground lumberjacking done, but DF suddenly died and made me lose all of summer's progress. Toady needs to make an option for a monthly save for those of us who run at low FPS.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45791 on: January 26, 2016, 11:45:23 pm »

My fort was raided by a dozen of keas. But the marksdwarves among the caravan guards managed to kill most of them.
Then I unforbade all the metal bolts via the stock menu and sold them back to their owners. ;)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45792 on: January 27, 2016, 03:07:25 am »

CochramD, let's set our gcs's on a date.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45793 on: January 27, 2016, 04:01:17 am »

I got caught with my pants down by a siege for the first time in a long time. I should have known better, because it was the third year and a small goblin scout party had already shown up once, but I wasn't expecting the next siege to be around 120 units. I'm going mostly above ground so all focus had been on building walls and digging ditches and they were almost done, but just not quite. All the building kept me from giving proper attention to my military.

The thing that really hurt though was that my four archers were all out of bolts. Then somebody took forever to pull a lever which left my three legendary axedwarves to fight off the horde alone. They did valiantly but eventually succumbed to the overwhelming numbers. After their stand though, the gates were sealed up and the archers founds some bolts which they used to finish off the rest of gobbos in the portcullis, causing the rest of them to flee. In the end, amazingly, the only casualties were the Axelords and a dog.

The siege was even broke before the caravan arrived. Of course there was one remaining goblin bowman who took 7 pages of arrows before he finally died, that cause the first wagon to fall apart and the rest to turn around. I'm going to need a separate caravan gate.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45794 on: January 27, 2016, 05:15:52 am »

After having had a rather bland few years without a siege or forgotten beasts, I was finally visited by one from the third caves. "Finally!", I thougth to myself, "my two squads of fully trained soldiers and one squad of marksmen needs some target practice." Having confined my civilians to their burrow, I lined my squads up with my marksmen ready in their tower.

I hadn't considered the !!fun!! webbed breath attacks brings.

Long story short, my population went from 88 to 15.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings
Pages: 1 ... 3051 3052 [3053] 3054 3055 ... 3842