Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3049 3050 [3051] 3052 3053 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095411 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45750 on: January 24, 2016, 03:05:23 pm »

Finally continuing with the War against the satyrs.

The way into the caverns has been hatched, the warriors armed and partially armored, livestock separated.

Since none of the tribe's native crops are of any use besides as stew fodder, the tribe has been collecting plants. White millet, prickle berries, and hide root are especially common, alongside alfalfa and quinoa. This is entirely fitting, because hide root means red dye.

Red dye means highly visible warriors.

And what the satyr sees, he will soon learn to fear.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45751 on: January 24, 2016, 03:12:01 pm »

Luck smiles at me.
Started a new fort with pop cap 10, and twiddled my thumbs in hopes of getting a married couple with the 3 migrants, to get a clan fort going.
I was slightly disappointed when none of my migrants were married.

Then came spring year 2.

Wow, 4 of my starting 7 got married. Double clan fortress is a go!

(How I managed? I did not make a temple, library, or tavern, or any personal rooms, and left my dwarves chilling in a 3x3 meeting zone. Highest friendship / relationship gain appears to come from having no job and standing next to another dwarf, not from socializing.

Oh yay, even better still! Two dwarves formed a grudge! Haven't had a grudge in ages. Too bad it's not a grudge between two of the clan couples.

Cool. I guess I could try making lock-up happen to force prospective couples. Or grudges. Definitely doesn't seem a good idea to revoke lal the fifty-odd rooms and almost a dozen meeting zones (I tried separate temples this time.)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45752 on: January 24, 2016, 04:27:24 pm »

I've begun work on the library.

The dwarves are all crowding by the bookshelves, however. Do I need to put a table and chairs in the library or something?

I'm trying to get individual bed rooms as well.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45753 on: January 24, 2016, 04:32:59 pm »

I usually do place tables and chairs. The Dwarfs are liable to eat in it so I hope the next update allows me to pick someone sufficiently matronly to remind them of the rules of the library - no eating, no quaffing, no defiling of statues, no punchups, no berzerking. Definitely no stark raving madness and in the case of masterwork - keep the damn mountains of madness to yourself.

Ahem. Yes, add tables and chairs. And coffers for the quires. And a statue for a hatrack.

Individual bedrooms are, to my current standard, 3x3, bed in the middle, door in the hole, cabinet, coffer. This tends to make for modest rooms which gives most Dwarfs who don't require a room a "satisfied/blissful after sleeping in (very) good bedroom" thought. Smoothe it when you've got the time, but no rush.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:36:17 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45754 on: January 24, 2016, 07:24:39 pm »

I usually do place tables and chairs. The Dwarfs are liable to eat in it so I hope the next update allows me to pick someone sufficiently matronly to remind them of the rules of the library - no eating, no quaffing, no defiling of statues, no punchups, no berzerking. Definitely no stark raving madness and in the case of masterwork - keep the damn mountains of madness to yourself.

Ahem. Yes, add tables and chairs. And coffers for the quires. And a statue for a hatrack.

Individual bedrooms are, to my current standard, 3x3, bed in the middle, door in the hole, cabinet, coffer. This tends to make for modest rooms which gives most Dwarfs who don't require a room a "satisfied/blissful after sleeping in (very) good bedroom" thought. Smoothe it when you've got the time, but no rush.

All right. So, I'm going to work on at least one row of bookshelves, and a large table with chairs for patrons to sit and read at.

I personally make bedrooms 2x2, bed in a corner w/cabinet and coffer, but eh... I'll consider a 3x3. It's not like I'm super strapped for space at any rate.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45755 on: January 24, 2016, 09:43:31 pm »

Though I'm going a 3x3 with the rooms for Kingsilver, I'm taking a different angle on entry points being via hatches and stairs, and the beds being in the northwest corner.  (No clue where I'll place the cabinet and chests, and for those wondering, the hatches are going to be cinnabar, by request of a friend)

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45756 on: January 25, 2016, 12:34:15 am »

I just started a new embark and I had my competent Mason making doors in preparation for their bedrooms and he made me a !masterpiece! phyllite door.

This is starting nicely, as I thought only skilled or better could make masterpiece items.
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45757 on: January 25, 2016, 12:48:06 am »

I just started a new embark and I had my competent Mason making doors in preparation for their bedrooms and he made me a !masterpiece! phyllite door.

This is starting nicely, as I thought only skilled or better could make masterpiece items.
It's based on stats attributes and luck

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #45758 on: January 25, 2016, 01:05:15 am »

My efforts to entice this year's caravan to enter on the fortified map edge have failed. As a result, they took a few steps inward, saw something so mind-bogglingly terrifying that the game has not seen fit to show me anything at all, and left, once again leaving me stalled at zero exported wealth for another year while my population continues to inflate.

On the bright side, a good 30% of my population is legendary from having absolutely nothing to do other than spam various crafting jobs on repeat. I feel like I should undertake some sort of megaproject at this rate; I certainly have the spare dwarfpower. The question is, what?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45759 on: January 25, 2016, 01:28:58 am »

Sounds like your megaproject in game is like mine irl; 'get rid of all this useless rubbish'

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #45760 on: January 25, 2016, 03:20:45 am »

Sounds like your megaproject in game is like mine irl; 'get rid of all this useless rubbish'

The elves with their haxy divine mats have actually proven to be quite useful in that regard. Production also isn't overly quick; I don''t have legendary stonecrafters pumping out mugs, it's a strategy I've adopted for dealing with whiny dwarves; everyone gets crafts enabled so they can do something creative.

Plus I've got magma sea access (granted, not convenient yet) so I could just dump all of the buggery down there and be done.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45761 on: January 25, 2016, 07:29:11 am »

They brought me a breeding pair of giant jumping spiders before, and have brought me spiders before as well. They shouldn't need to grab a random silk material, they just need to use the silk sources they have. But I guess that's just not how it is.
Jumping spiders don't make webs.
Oh, right, I was thinking giant brown recluse spiders. Point is, the elves have access to silk sources, Toady just needs to teach them how to use them.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45762 on: January 25, 2016, 07:35:48 am »

a brewer just saved himself from.. crundles by climbing. Quite a distance. Or rather, he saved himself from his dodge-the-crundle manouver which involved about 7-s of empty air.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45763 on: January 25, 2016, 08:51:41 am »

I did not survive the frozen desert, quickly falling to dehydration after a couple years. I should have worked on the well earlier.

So abandoned and started a new embark on same world but in new area. It's going normal so far.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45764 on: January 25, 2016, 09:20:55 am »

I hadn't even finished digging mayor's quarters and some rando Dwarf I don't know got queened. Now she's pissy that I didn't get all kindsa royal crap instantly.
Pages: 1 ... 3049 3050 [3051] 3052 3053 ... 3842