Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2952 2953 [2954] 2955 2956 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093763 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44295 on: December 07, 2015, 06:41:59 am »

I Still remember the old dfhack multi culture fort shenanigans and wonder if interspecies marriages work in vanilla? also the time when toady has to deal with the bug where you attempt to look at a half dwarf half cat Jumping-Spider Being the game crashes
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44296 on: December 07, 2015, 12:33:39 pm »

My fortress is infested with goblin poets, elf mercenaries and humans who  declare themselves lords and consorts after drinking a few barrels and singing a few songs.
At this rate I think that I'll just let them have the main tarvern and upper levels and move my dorfs to a dorf exclusive hell tavern and library.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #44297 on: December 07, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »

I've been websurfing (does anyone besides me still say that?) architectural layouts for pantheonistic temples. Hindu temples seem the most dwarfy to me so far, actually incorporating multiple divinities into the same building. Don't see a lot of that in Greco-Roman stuff.

It's not really "in" my fort, but....

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44298 on: December 07, 2015, 01:08:19 pm »

My fortress is on its 7th year by now, but curiously never got a single of those "visitor" guys, i have a bunch of temples since a couple of years but only my dwarves are using them.

Not sure why, and now that i am on my max pop i'm not sure i'm going to see visitors in case they count toward that max pop.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44299 on: December 07, 2015, 01:08:38 pm »

I have pages and pages of tavern patrons dropping their mugs.

I check them, and... this one guy has FOUR mugs?  I ended up having to drop/forbid all the mugs because of the dropping spam.  :-[

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44300 on: December 07, 2015, 01:18:31 pm »

I've been websurfing (does anyone besides me still say that?) architectural layouts for pantheonistic temples. Hindu temples seem the most dwarfy to me so far, actually incorporating multiple divinities into the same building. Don't see a lot of that in Greco-Roman stuff.

It's not really "in" my fort, but....
One Greek equivalent might be the acropolis of Athens. Although it was dominated by structures devoted to Athena, there were a few allowances for other deities, notably the Erechtheion with its temple to Poseidon and a couple altars for Hephaestus and Voutos. It also hosted the temple of Athena Nike, which could be a temple to Nike if you disregard the mashing together of desirable gods with the city's patron goddess.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44301 on: December 07, 2015, 01:34:41 pm »

An 80 year old mother of 11 children has, as her current job/task:

"Meditate on Chaos"

Yeah, ok, I can see that.  8)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44302 on: December 07, 2015, 01:36:54 pm »

Some years ago, one of my fortress dwarves became the king.
But oddly i continued to recieve the liaison with the dwarven merchants.

And now the liaison tell me that :

I choose "a" to see what was going on and my fort became a barony ?
Huh ? Is that a bug considering the king is living in my fort ?

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44303 on: December 07, 2015, 01:45:52 pm »

Is that a bug considering the king is living in my fort ?

I think your fortress can have both a local baron/count/duke and the king. One represents the interests of the region dominated by your fortress, the other represents the interests of your entire civilization. It does seem odd to have both in one fort, but the old progression allowed for that too... You'd get a baron who would eventually be promoted to duke, and eventually the monarch could migrate to your fortress, but your duke didn't stop duking when the monarch arrived.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44304 on: December 07, 2015, 02:42:14 pm »

A random dwarf (No family no relations) after discussion with local rivals became queen of my civilization. We're clearly not dead because we continue to get liaisons and migrants.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44305 on: December 07, 2015, 02:50:23 pm »

Had bad internet all weekend and so much has happened. I had a human bard become a lady. I forgot to patch the first hole I poked in the 1st caverns and a fire breathing forgotten beast crawled up it and killed eleven citizens, including said lady. I managed to create a masterwork steel statue of Nitish the God of War and Fortresses for my temple to him. Of all things he's contemplating and dwarves are praying to him. Could it get any better? Now that 42.02 has come out I've got all sorts of dwarves contemplating war and fortresses. I'm just waiting for one of them to write "The Art of War."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44306 on: December 07, 2015, 02:56:00 pm »

I think your fortress can have both a local baron/count/duke and the king. One represents the interests of the region dominated by your fortress, the other represents the interests of your entire civilization. It does seem odd to have both in one fort, but the old progression allowed for that too... You'd get a baron who would eventually be promoted to duke, and eventually the monarch could migrate to your fortress, but your duke didn't stop duking when the monarch arrived.

Thanks, as it was the first time it happened to me, i was wondering if it was worth posting a bug report.

BenTGaidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44307 on: December 07, 2015, 04:13:53 pm »

I started a new fort to try building a more organized tavern than my first attempt. At first I was kind of bummed because all of the instruments my dwarves are proficient in require more than I can produce in just my first Crafts-shop and Carpentry, which will take me a bit to set up. (Also, one of my civilization's instruments appears to be a metal accordion with 186 pipes... this seems excessive in what's described as a "mid-sized hand held" instrument. *grins*)

But apparently, a lack of instruments is not an insurmountable obstacle -- when my first migrant wave showed up, they ran to my tavern room and organized an a cappella performance. One dwarf started chanting, and the others now show their activity as "Simulate [instrument]." They're even making do with fewer instruments than the performance guidelines call for, so I guess they just really wanted to make this happen for me!

(Also turns out they're simulating instruments they have no skill in, on a song that three of the five were unfamiliar with before they started... Looks like the "Master Musician" skill on the leader was quite useful.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:18:31 pm by BenTGaidin »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44308 on: December 07, 2015, 04:27:47 pm »

After a few years with no invasions other than a few kobold thieves, the local goblin civilization decided to introduce themselves by throwing a siege at me.
Only managed to suffer two casualties, and for whatever reason the goblins completely ignored a random human bard visitor standing in front of the walls.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44309 on: December 07, 2015, 04:34:58 pm »

My militia commander is stupid. I have convinced him to carry at least some pieces of armor, so he's only lacking the boots that were meant for him. And now he's wearing a native gold crown that is intended for trade.  :o
Pages: 1 ... 2952 2953 [2954] 2955 2956 ... 3842