Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2950 2951 [2952] 2953 2954 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120263 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44265 on: December 06, 2015, 06:10:54 pm »

After several months, Besmar's demise was found: At some point, the lone metalcrafter had fallen through the ice over a pond, and drowned.

This discovery was made by none other than Besmar herself, as I followed her restless spirit to the southwestern ponds. She disappeared into the clay, and lo and behold as I inspected the ponds, did i see a waterlogged skeleton in Besmar's attire. It was most unfortunate. Already we labor to build a pump to recover her remains.

Worry not Besmar, we'll be bringing you home soon.

In other news a giant toad and the croc are dead. A bone-shattering book beating a spear to the head took care of the problem.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44266 on: December 06, 2015, 06:26:57 pm »

I just watched a dwarf go to the drinks pile with a mug in hand. Afterwards, there were TEARS of euphoria on his face. He really did enjoy that.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #44267 on: December 06, 2015, 06:28:41 pm »

How DOES one pierce an aquifer?

It's fairly complex. Here's a youtube series of someone doing it (multilayer aquifer):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmMz7SkPLd_b2uyaZs7blDa9

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44268 on: December 06, 2015, 06:33:31 pm »

How DOES one pierce an aquifer?

How I did it, based off the "Double slit method" on the wiki

-Dig a 2x1 or 1x2 up/down stairway down into the first aquifer layer, so that the bottom stairway is flooded
-build two screw pumps, pulling from the wet stairway, and wall off and channel the output so it feeds directly into the aquifer layer elsewhere
-deconstruct/remove one of the stairways on the same z-level as one of the pumps, otherwise that pump won't work.  But keep one so your dwarves have access
-Use a dwarf to power the now usable pump, one pump should be able to relatively drain the staircase.
-Send a dorf down to mine out a square adjacent to the wet staircase, and replace it with a contructed wall.  Go one at a time, diagonal walls don't need to be touched.  If the aquifer is a stone layer, you can smooth the existing walls rather than replace them.
-You will get suspensions on building the walls something fierce, but persevere and keep unsuspending it.  As long as a dorf can touch the wall for a little while, some progress will be made on building that wall.
-Repeat until all non-diagonal walls are built/smoothed, rebuilding staircases if necessary to access the second pump.  Once those walls are built, no new water will pour in.
-Proceed downward, leave a z-level between the aquifer and whatever you wish to build deeper.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44269 on: December 06, 2015, 07:04:03 pm »

Thanks to this temple I put together, a devout dwarf can satisfy his need to Worship! - specifically, he meditates on Fishing
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44270 on: December 06, 2015, 07:05:50 pm »

Welp, a single necromancer managed to reduce the militia from 8 fighters, to four. With a freaking deer.

An additional civilian seems to be dead too, but we aren't sure where the body is. Both marksdwarves are dead, our founding macedwarf drowned in a pond, and an axedwarf was kicked to death. Skeletons are now even more stupidly OP than they were in ages past as a majority of attacks failed to connect ("passing right through" - including a crossbow bolt to the head somehow.) and that means little to no pulping can happen, period.

This has launched a period of full-time training for the four survivors of the cleansing of the caves and Blackadestrange, the dwarf-murdering deer, with the militia receiving winters off, what with there being no migrants or merchants to worry about.

The Dead Curch (courtesy of the RNG) has been set up, that people may worship in a nondenominational setting.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44271 on: December 06, 2015, 07:07:01 pm »

...welp that's a good reason to not try embarking near a tower anytime soon.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #44272 on: December 06, 2015, 07:25:12 pm »

My militia commander has a perfectly good ≡bronze battle axe≡, but for some reason he elected to beat a giant mole to death with a *billon goblet* instead.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44273 on: December 06, 2015, 07:43:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not quite done furnishing but this is my temple. 10 gods get their own shrine and the big room at the end is a general temple. Ideally I'd have a statue of each god but the god of random numbers was not with me on this matter.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #44274 on: December 06, 2015, 08:17:17 pm »

"Hey there Urist McCarpenter, what're you doing?"

"Nothing much, Urist McTemporaryFarmer, just making some tables"

"Wait, are you using that one particular piece of wood for it?"

"Yes, why?"

"Well, I was going to use that one particular log for building a farmer's workshop, but I guess I can just not do that and ignore the dozens of other logs in our stockpile."

"Sounds good!"

Domas Eribmeban, Metalsmith, cancels Construct Building: Job item lost or destroyed

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44275 on: December 06, 2015, 08:30:02 pm »

Vomit everywhere. Damn, I need a juice-making reaction for the humans or they'll die in droves.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44276 on: December 06, 2015, 08:35:09 pm »

A Fishery Worker just died from alcohol poisoning and drowned in his own vomit. A useless dwarf gone and I'm upset that this is going to lower the reputability of my new tavern.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44277 on: December 06, 2015, 08:49:56 pm »

The Buttery Brew is becoming quite popular. We have a poet, a bard, and a countess consort as long term guests working to entertain patrons. We also have eight performers who are just visiting to ply their trade, three mercenaries who signed on to help guard the place, and eight warriors relaxing. This isn't counting the four scholars who came to learn from the scholars of the Golden Vault.

The newest guest is a human bowman vampire who I can only assume introduced himself and just forgot he was supposed to be hiding. But, the Buttery Brew is a place for all sorts to mix and mingle, if this guy causes trouble he can be dealt with.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44278 on: December 06, 2015, 09:08:23 pm »

A migrant wave, and work on a hospital. One migrant, one Stakud the Potter's has come perhaps to honor his slain brother Melbil, who was slain by that damned deer. He took up the mace and I'm sure with his ambitions and thrill-seeking personality, he will wield that cudgel with honor.

The ponds and such have frozen over, so I'm hoping I can recover the bodies by digging them out of the ice. Although frankly, I shouldn't get my hopes up.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44279 on: December 06, 2015, 09:52:25 pm »

Carving out a new fort in the side of a waterfall, had to make an external staircase to go around the aquifer painlessly. Discovered a new thing about the fort's embark... the lower sections of the river that the waterfall empties into freezes over. The upper section doesn't. I now have a river  with a slowly increasing wall of ice, courtesy of said waterfall. Truly lovely.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 ... 2950 2951 [2952] 2953 2954 ... 3842