Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2881 2882 [2883] 2884 2885 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099464 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43230 on: October 08, 2015, 07:23:18 pm »

Are they both genders? You can breed them and use them as living turrets.
By the gods, they are!

*planning commences*
1. Release both magma crabs in a sealed room
2. Let them breed until satisfied
3. Unlock door, magma crabs flood out into cage-trapped hallway
4. ???
5. Profit!
Remember that magma crabs lay eggs so you'll need nest boxes
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43231 on: October 08, 2015, 07:35:50 pm »

Town Dentbridge, 205 Granite 01 - 205 Hematite 19: 91 111 beards

Spoiler: Spring (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Summer (click to show/hide)

205-04-19: GODDAMMIT DF CRASHED

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43232 on: October 08, 2015, 07:46:46 pm »

Playing one 34.11 with Meph's warlocks, and I start out with some challenge establishing the soon-to-be dreaded barrow of Sorcerydangers (a fitting name from the RNG. Much less fittingly, the group is called The Narrow Slut apparently. Should have changed/checked that before embark that.)

While I had two initial ghouls, one with four arms and one with two functioning heads, I found to hunt boars for raw materials to make serviceable weapons for the ruling spellcasters such as myself, I needed a normal ghoul to lead more ghouls in battle. So with some quick thinking, I had some intestines dried and processed into rope, and had a witch make the rest of the parts for the bench, while another made the necessary implements. Both prisoners who dragged the wagon here later, we have a single ghoul: Doren.

Doren was made from a human man whom had a name once, but I never bothered to ask what it was. It wasn't Doren, as that's a dwarf name I gave the resultant ghoul. he responds to it, so I haven't bothered seeing if he recalls who he used to be, or if by freak coincidence, that happens to be his real name. I couldn't in good conscience let this ghoul lead without proving he could mercilessly kill, so without hesitation i ordered him to butcher the orc we had. I'm having its soul stored as we speak.

There are, at present, six rooms carved out for our private use. Bach and Armbrust have complained about doing minion labor, but the ghouls can't figure out which end they're supposed to use, nevermind follow digging orders. I'll have the ghouls fashion some simple beds for us, and Aurelia to make doors, so we needn't look upon the passing ghouls. They're useful, but their haggard appearance... It disturbs me.

Alas, such is the fate of those who degenerate so. And zombies. At least skeletons don't have bits of flesh clinging to them, or their teeth. In the meantime, said ghouls will be sent to hunt the next creature of sufficient mass for raw materials.

EDIT: Boars are decently sized creatures. Never once did I think i would see one have it's head removed by the frenzied shaking of a biting degenerate man.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43233 on: October 08, 2015, 08:23:08 pm »

I've got a weaponsmith in a strange mood, and he's picked platinum as his material. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a warhammer......
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43234 on: October 08, 2015, 08:33:29 pm »

Welp, I got two (technically four, counting the captives,) migrants.

One is a witch. With two captive children in tow.

The other is a ghoul. Who is married to a witch. So somewhere out in the world is a woman who liked the dead a little too much, and someone who does unspeakable things to children who is in my dungeon. Amazing what some happenstance can do to my outlook on my fellow horrible people.

Boars slain. Next task? Skeletons. I need more diggers.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43235 on: October 08, 2015, 08:47:37 pm »

No they don't.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43236 on: October 08, 2015, 09:08:26 pm »

No they don't.

I can confirm that they do not in fact need nest boxes. Had a bunch linger on the map long enough for exactly one magma crab baby to be born. I was quite confused afterwards.

Work has begun on prisoner processing and management, first by digging appropriate spaces, along with a place to plop the shrine needed to make my skeleton dig crew. And a cook. A skeletal cook.

He will be the envy of all but the finest living chefs.

EDIT: Where the actual fuck does a child hide a pitchfork on thier person? I mean, I'm not complaining since I need something for my new skeleton to fight with and it's better than nothing but... How the hell?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43237 on: October 08, 2015, 09:59:55 pm »

I'm not going to lie: I had to savescum a few times to get my artifact platinum warhammer. But, I feel no regret in doing so.

I can barely wait for it to get its first kill....

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43238 on: October 09, 2015, 03:27:40 am »

Well, I told myself I was going to wait for the update before beginning a new fort, but here I am again.

I've got a Vampire in my fort for the first time in a long time and would you believe it, she's the mayor! I suspected it when she first got elected and I was looking over her description, now we've just found my militia commander (and one of my original 7) drained of blood. So, now I just need to decide what to do with her. I have a few weredwarfs in isolation. I could see who wins in a battle werecoati or vampire. Do I need to arm the Vampire to make it a somewhat fair fight?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43239 on: October 09, 2015, 03:34:14 am »

City Dentbridge, 205 Hematite 01 - 206 Granite 01: 111 118 ]119 120 121 122 beards

205-04-01: Ok, where was I... All the way back at still having dwarves smoothing out the boulders on the surface??? Okay, screw that then, I'm just gonna autodump all the logs and wash my hands of that madness.

There. Now my life is suddenly more pleasant.

Spoiler: Summer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Autumn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Winter (click to show/hide)

206-01-01: Yay another year survived
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:40:39 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43240 on: October 09, 2015, 08:36:39 am »

Who knew? Vampires and berserk werecoati get along just fine. I guess they are both knight creatures, but I assumed the berserk tag would change things. Once the coati turned back into a dwarf I put them into a military unit together thinking that maybe that would encourage the vampire to attack when the dwarf turned again. Instead the dwarf immediately attacked the vampire, which was a foolish thing to do. So now I've got a vampire locked in a room with a rotting dwarf corpse. That will probably speed her mental descent up a bit, but I don't want to let her out again because she's thirsty now. I probably should have just put the vampire into a military squad and ordered her to attack the coati when it changed, it might have been a more interesting fight at least.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43241 on: October 09, 2015, 10:48:35 am »

I have had a problem lately, and I wonder if anybody can help me understand why it happens.

Most of my fortress is built intertwined among the second and third cavern layers.  Dug into the pillars, beneath the cave floor, &c.  In spite of that, there is only entrance into the cavern itself -- I've been very careful about that.  It is a hallway lined with weapon traps that gets a regular military patrol.

Monsters like creeping eyes, blind cave ogres, and even a forgotten beast have been getting into my fortress through the cavern floor into the rooms beneath.  Can enemies dig now?!  Because the cave floor was solid when I dug out the rooms in the z-level underneath, but after the attacks, I notice single tiles of open space that weren't there before.  I thought I was safe...

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43242 on: October 09, 2015, 11:06:26 am »

I have had a problem lately, and I wonder if anybody can help me understand why it happens.

Most of my fortress is built intertwined among the second and third cavern layers.  Dug into the pillars, beneath the cave floor, &c.  In spite of that, there is only entrance into the cavern itself -- I've been very careful about that.  It is a hallway lined with weapon traps that gets a regular military patrol.

Monsters like creeping eyes, blind cave ogres, and even a forgotten beast have been getting into my fortress through the cavern floor into the rooms beneath.  Can enemies dig now?!  Because the cave floor was solid when I dug out the rooms in the z-level underneath, but after the attacks, I notice single tiles of open space that weren't there before.  I thought I was safe...

When you cut down a tree, even a giant mushroom like the ones in the caverns, and there is open space below, there will be a space exposed where the tree once stood. This is a known bug mostly encountered on the surface. In the future, try not to build right below trees.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43243 on: October 09, 2015, 11:36:25 am »

When you cut down a tree, even a giant mushroom like the ones in the caverns, and there is open space below, there will be a space exposed where the tree once stood. This is a known bug mostly encountered on the surface. In the future, try not to build right below trees.

Ah!  Thank you.  I was chopping the colourful mushrooms there to make sex beds, now that I think of it: I guess I didn't notice the spaces opening up.  An easy enough thing to plug up from now on.

And just for my own peace of mind -- monsters are still unable to dig, right?  Right?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43244 on: October 09, 2015, 11:36:25 am »

I got impatient with Tusungushil; there was a tapir who had been shot repeated with dying (with masterwork bone bolts, at that) and deserved a mercy kill, as well as some crundles who were harassing my furnace operators. Anyhow, something more interesting going on in my fortress is my attempts at husbandry:

As you can see, I've got a pair of tigers that will hopefully breed and numerous wild boars (which I have modded to be milkable). These boars are actually the 3rd and 4th batch I've captured; the first and second only managed to produce 3 piglets between them, all of which were female. It's quite frustrating, but my hunters seem determined to wipe out all the wildlife (a notion I am not entirely agains) so captive breeding like this will be the only way to preserve these animals for future use. Also, I enjoy adding creatures to the "Overall Training" screen and increasing my knowledge levels.

Pages: 1 ... 2881 2882 [2883] 2884 2885 ... 3842