Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2863 2864 [2865] 2866 2867 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100822 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42960 on: September 12, 2015, 01:52:07 pm »

DAMN DORFS! I finally managed to train a fearsome war dragon AND YOU BASTARDS DONE KILLED IT DEAD!

To be fair, the dragon was breathing fire and charging towards them at full tilt (yet another bug, it seems), so I guess I will grudgingly forgive them this once.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:53:50 pm by SirQuiamus »

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42961 on: September 12, 2015, 02:10:05 pm »

After have my fort fell to a were mongoose infection I finally got under control, I retired it. Then I made an elf adventurer. With a vision of armor and a burning blood he forsook his people and traveled to Futurecielings. It was there that he claimed a bronze pick and began to slaughter my old fort in the name of armor who was displeased. I had him claim the fort with a new name, something like the tree trees of green tree fortress stench... Then I'll reclaim it.

Oh yeah, his name is mame pinemurder the reclusive wealth-lock of woods. 22 kills and only bruises to show for it. They deserved it after giving me nothing but possession moods,

Oh yeah I also forgot to mention, I impersonated some diety of sun and light so they worshiped me as a god while I was striking them down.

Yes in legends it says my old fort futurecielings called treetree the green leafy hole-fortress of stench and my elf is the lord.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:18:23 pm by Urist McLaptop »
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42962 on: September 12, 2015, 03:14:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's my latest generation fort, a 1x1 area fort that does subsistence rope reed and longland grass farming in a rocky wasteland.

Pluses to reduce lag:
Not a lot of digging
Not a lot of items
No multi-tile trees (or trees of any kind)
No cavern access (and associated pathing lag)
Turned off migrants with LNP (lower population, at least in the beginning)
Turned off temperature and weather with LNP (less constant calculation for every exposed tile)
Production control with DFHack's Workflow (keeps item numbers low)
No tamed animals. No dogs, no cats, nothing (reduces pathing lag)
Dwarves mostly stay in a 1x1 room (reduces pathing lag)

Strategy for long-term survival:
Force dwarves to socialize and eventually have lots of children in a 1x1 meeting area.

Zero-access policy. Those gates will never open, and the walls have unclimbable Fortifications on the second z-level. Protection from flying attackers is still a WIP, however.

The FPS is typically 1400-1600. Caravans or large amounts of animals can spike it down to ~600.

The fortress is sustainable, and generally robust enough to leave running in the background and/or overnight. (you should probably use seasonal autosave if you attempt something like this, and don't be afraid to savescum)

Issues:

Diplomats like to glitch through the walls and forcefully pause the game. DFHack's nopause is easily defeated by yet another "important trade agreement"

Animals like to glitch through the walls and attack dwarves while you're not looking

Misc. other glitches stop workshops from working and lead to eventual starvation (from what I've seen, you have to deconstruct and rebuild the shops to fix this)

DFHack's workflow counts goods in caravans when deciding when to start and stop production. If the traders bring too many cloth bags, then suddenly you have no storage for longland flour, which means no solid component for cooking, which means no food, which means starvation - especially if the caravan dies, and the items stay there permanently

Sometimes on embark you will not get eligible pairs of breeding dwarves. You need at least 2 to keep the population going - if you only have 1, everyone in the next generation is related, and will therefore not breed further. If you have none, then there obviously isn't going to be a next generation in the first place. Fixing this will require reclaiming, or turning on migrants for a little while

The outpost liaison tends to flip out and attack animals after not talking to the mayor/expedition leader for a while, thus causing lag. You should consider shooting him dead from the walls. (go hunting for a bit and use bone bolts and crossbows if you need to)

After a long enough period of time, plants will start to build up. Consider atom-smashing them or dumping them in lava (atom-smashing will cause less lag overall)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:19:25 pm by PyroTechno »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42963 on: September 12, 2015, 03:17:57 pm »

Fortifications are climbable you know that, right?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42964 on: September 12, 2015, 03:47:36 pm »

I appear to have false information.

At any rate, I have now completely roofed over the fort.

It now gets a consistent 500-600 FPS, which isn't quite as ridiculous as 1600, but is still an in-game year in ~10 minutes.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #42965 on: September 12, 2015, 04:01:13 pm »

Welp.

My first seige, starting at 4 enemies, was nothing.

I have not significantly improved my military, and have just faced a 60-odd goblin seige, sustaining 20 casualties. These dwarves died because I forgot which lever was which. Let this be a lesson to you.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42966 on: September 12, 2015, 04:03:19 pm »

Welp.

I have not significantly improved my military, and have just faced a 60-odd goblin seige, sustaining 20 casualties. These dwarves died because I forgot which lever was which. Let this be a lesson to you.

And the lesson is, use "N: Points/Routes/Notes" to label each of your levers.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42967 on: September 12, 2015, 04:21:27 pm »

I appear to have false information.

At any rate, I have now completely roofed over the fort.

F*** Yeah-dit: my group is called the "Crypt of Infamy" :) Any suggestions as to what I should do with my crypt? My stone mine is being dug out in a crypt pattern, so any ideas?

It now gets a consistent 500-600 FPS, which isn't quite as ridiculous as 1600, but is still an in-game year in ~10 minutes.

That is pretty amazing. What do you do with this superfast fort, btw?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:34:59 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #42968 on: September 12, 2015, 07:33:06 pm »

Welp.

And the lesson is, use "N: Points/Routes/Notes" to label each of your levers.

Note taken. ayooooo

Luckily (?) my game crashed, so now I can better reroute my soldiers instead of putting all my hope into pulling levers.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42969 on: September 13, 2015, 04:04:07 am »

My group is called the "Crypt of Infamy" :) Any suggestions as to what I should do with my crypt? My stone mine is being dug out in a crypt pattern, so any ideas?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42970 on: September 13, 2015, 06:43:09 am »

Somehow, giant cave spider has found his way into my living quarters and killed around ten dwarves. That's pretty great considering how otherwise boring we were doing this far, but I can understand how it got there.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42971 on: September 13, 2015, 06:49:49 am »

I just flooded my entire meeting area. Still, I contained it, not bad for the first time I tried to channel water. Now do I try and rescue the dwarves and dogs down there, or wait to see if they reanimate :)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42972 on: September 13, 2015, 07:23:16 am »

You dawg, I heard you like raw adamantine sceptres
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42973 on: September 13, 2015, 07:33:13 am »

Prisoner disposal by War Jabberers!

Where's the janitor? We got some clean-up necessary here!

117 Jabberers against something around 150 unarmed goblins and trolls. What fun!
Only had two Jabberers get hurt. I hope dwarfvet will get them fixed.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42974 on: September 13, 2015, 07:35:19 am »

A bit of science, Hydra beats hammerlords. Don't send hammerlords dueling hydras just because you feel chivalrous.

My civilians seem to be suicidally brave, seeing how they engaged Hydra once it got close. I think I lost 30 people to it and GCS.
Pages: 1 ... 2863 2864 [2865] 2866 2867 ... 3842