Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2865 2866 [2867] 2868 2869 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100566 times)

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42990 on: September 14, 2015, 09:00:40 am »

made a bandit camp with a moat where I kept all the bodies and merchants bodies. I kept killing the migrants as they came. Then i got this wonderful idea of setting ballistas all around the migrant's prison. Needless to say, my redneck bandit dwarves killed each other with the ballistas.
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42991 on: September 14, 2015, 09:04:27 am »

Just destroyed a siege of around 50 goblins and 20 trolls. They came when I was building up an outer wall to protect my whip vine plantation. If it wasn't for the new moat, we'd be dead.

The trolls were dumb; they charged right into the traps and got their limbs all over the gatehouse, the towers, the lumber stockpile, the exterior farms, everywhere.

The traps and the marksdwarves did most of the damage, but the melee squads were the ones who did the coup de grace. Most of the militia are now hardened individuals or no longer care about anything anymore. Except for the militia commander who, for the second time, slept through an entire siege and only awoke after the entire sieging force has been routed.

By the way, how do we clean pools of troll blood if they're all over the building, its floors, and its fortifications?

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42992 on: September 14, 2015, 02:00:40 pm »

Fortifications are climbable you know that, right?

I appear to have false information.

At any rate, I have now completely roofed over the fort.

It now gets a consistent 500-600 FPS, which isn't quite as ridiculous as 1600, but is still an in-game year in ~10 minutes.

That is pretty amazing. What do you do with this superfast fort, btw?

I just let it run for a while. It's ~60 years old now, with a population of 75 - all descended from the starting 7. The expedition leader was promoted to queen at some point when something (the world is in the Age of Roc and Mountain Titan, so options are limited) wrecked the only NPC fortress - although there's still a dwarven barony sitting around somewhere according to the civilization screen.

Presumably because of the population, the FPS is down to ~150.  :) I'll have to redesign the next generation fort to be more efficient!

The fortress is named "Quakestake", if you were curious.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42993 on: September 14, 2015, 04:54:28 pm »

Aaargh up to 31 migrants, from 9 dwarves, only second wave!
4 children! Oh, and now a black bear is fighting a dog. Dogs don't seem to do well here, the previos one drowned when I flooded the meeting hall.

Oh, Dastot Orbbeauty the ranger took care of it with his fists. The bear was hurt from the dog, but that guy has amazing physicals (apart from flimsiness). He also doesn't give a shit about death, and is "brave in the face of imminent danger", though apparently "would flee the most necessary battle to avoid any form of physical confrontation". Pretty odd for a guy who just beat a bear to death with his fists, but he respects martial prowess and was first of six to the attack.

Oh, and Zefon Relicskies has been taken by a strange mood! A kid! She feels sad at missing her parents, but wants to create a thing of beauty and shall! Perhaps children really are a gift from Armok! I am glad I didn't mod in cannibalism now, and may think twice about throwin one of them into a pit with a raging dog!

Oh, right, I'm outta dogs. Bears and flooding. A puppy and a lame dog will have to do. Or maybe a yak calf, do they panic when in an enclosed space?

Edit2: The war with the pandas is going well, a ghost rose, which is kinda fun so I'll keep him around. And now, after a panda killed a dwarf, then was killed in turn, our Zefon Relicskies has made a PANDA BONE WARHAMMER, for my civ, the Messianic Hammers! And it's called Elderquakes! Apparently, the RNG has decided to be nice to me!

It even has an image of the book Saguaro Rib Wood is the Way, which is obviously a necromantic tome, probably from the nearby tower! Hell yeah!

Super-EDIT: Her father was the dwarf to die to the panda in the middle of her mood! Sometimes this game :) :) :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:21:47 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #42994 on: September 14, 2015, 09:33:14 pm »

Currently milling along my current fortress and... Did something change about workshops in recent versions? Apparently, multiple dwarves can work at the same workshop. Or it's a bug. Unsure.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42995 on: September 14, 2015, 10:20:49 pm »

I've never seen that before. It might be a bug but it's one of the good ones if it is.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42996 on: September 14, 2015, 10:58:35 pm »

I have that in Honourguard. It happens when several jobs in the same workshop are marked for high priority.

Could be used for efficient small forts, when combined with a decent manager. Certainly beats having ten Craftsdwarf's Workshops for rock pots and bone bolts and adamantine processing, I will say~

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42997 on: September 15, 2015, 08:13:00 am »

Honourguard was lost to the uncontainable Wereraccoon plague. Every full moon brought new infections, and for every new infection, another two deaths... Obok, the militia commander and survivor of Patient Zero's attack on the fortress that would eventually cause its ruin, fought bravely with the fortress' sole adamantine short sword, but they too fell, and the fortress crumbled.

New fort! Heavensins, another oceanside fortress ((because I love the waves; they're fun))
Starting seven:
  • Asob Lustdiligence
  • Monom Greedtemperance
  • Kogsak Slothkindness
  • Zaneg Wrathhumility
  • Tulon Gluttoncharity
  • Sodel Pridepatience
  • Vanok Envychastity

And what is the FIRST THING that Tulon does?

I am not above going full-heal for that nonsense

E: She fucking died
Gods damn it Gluttonycharity.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:27:14 am by Lolfail0009 »

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42998 on: September 15, 2015, 11:16:48 am »

I had a fort of thirty dwarves. At the time I stole from the dwarfish merchants but that's another matter. A forgotten beast appeared the the caverns. The forgotten beast anan tekmokavuz has come! An enormous feathered cobra! It has three long curving horns and a bloated body. It's taupe gray feathers are patchy. We are its poisonous bite! Because of the linear way I built my staircase I couldn't figure out how to block it. Needless to say, my rag tag militia was slaughtered wielding silver war hammers and axes with no armor. Then my last dwarf of three dwarves and four children. One dwarf is in a mood. The expedition leader, the founder, gets there first with an iron pick I assigned him. The first thing that happened was the forgotten beast missed him. Then the expedition leader promptly fractured its skull with the pick. Then he tears apart the spine.

The forgotten beast gores his upper body and liver and his right arm was severed, but not his weapon arm. He pulls out the pick and hits the horns a few times. Then he tears apart the upper spine. Then the tail. But then the forgotten beast bites his head off.

Thinking I would have to send in my last sane dwarf, and leave the other one to go insane, I drafted him, only to find no sign of the beast. I checked the deceased tab. There, among 41 bodies, was the forgotten beast. He freaking did it. He killed a forgotten beast when no one else made a dent. My fortress is on a volcano. I will either make him the most opulent tomb at the top or toss his body into the volcano and give him a one way ticket to armok.

But regardless. Bless mosus rootedarrow.
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42999 on: September 15, 2015, 11:27:37 am »

One of my dorfs made a "bulky" gauntlet out of bone and it's the first artifact I've seen to have a descriptor tag like that. The good news is that Urist McUselessfisherman is now Urist von Bonecraft, so that's good.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43000 on: September 15, 2015, 11:54:22 am »

One of my dorfs made a "bulky" gauntlet out of bone and it's the first artifact I've seen to have a descriptor tag like that. The good news is that Urist McUselessfisherman is now Urist von Bonecraft, so that's good.

It's a "divine" piece of armor. I've seen things in the stocks tab like bulky shoes, bell-shaped trousers, thin helmets, and so on. Result of divine metals being present.

The trade post has had no contact with the Maormer. In retaliation for thier lack of trade, depictions of maormer being killed by khajiit battlecats have been erected on the entrance. The lower portions of two towers have also been finished, one to serve as a small orchard fo a handful of trees, and the other to act as a barracks. No hostiles so far, and the militia has grown to four. Have also begun an attempt to make clan residencies, with two related families to a space.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43001 on: September 15, 2015, 02:24:51 pm »

Deliberately breached hell to test my military force. 31 demon was slain before they finally defeated me.
I might not have colonized Hell, but it's still something.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43002 on: September 15, 2015, 07:37:20 pm »

I decided to make the walrus men again and make them and plump helmet men playable in adventure mode and fortress mode.
I the walrus men ethics are exactly the same of dwarves at the moment, but the plump helmet men are a bit different. basically the only thing they like is power and they hate nature peace and harmony. also they have they're baby snatchers so there buddy buddy with goblins and hated by everyone else. I also made sure to mod goblins so they can trade with me.
In my current fort I'm enemies with walrus men elves and maybe humans. (no dwarves in this world) I cant see this ending well. plump helmet men are small. walrus men are twice the size of dwarves, and can also go into trances like dwarves. fighting them is going to be a pain.
They also eat sentient creatures which is pretty fun.

Anyway, after taking about an hour designing the fortress things got going. the farms were setup, as were the rooms the workshop area and stockpiles. all the basic stuff.

A kobold tried to steal some stuff but was quickly destroyed by 3 dogs.
Later my militia captain had a mood and needed some bones, but I had no butchers, so I assigned a peasant to become my butcher, after setting up his workshop he grabbed the kobold corpse from the refuse pile and butchered it, the militia captain then took the bones and made a kobold bone helm. c: I like how things are going so far. Probably going to die horribly in the first ambush/siege though.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #43003 on: September 15, 2015, 07:45:47 pm »

-the dwarves of the intense keys now know a few facts about kea training-
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43004 on: September 15, 2015, 08:50:27 pm »

-the dwarves of the intense keys now know a few facts about kea training-

git 1-upped skrub
Pages: 1 ... 2865 2866 [2867] 2868 2869 ... 3842