Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2823 2824 [2825] 2826 2827 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119268 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42360 on: July 11, 2015, 10:39:23 pm »

and vice versa.

But wont pathing be janky?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #42361 on: July 12, 2015, 12:07:42 pm »

I currently have a semi-decent surface perimeter set up, and am working on building temporary above-ground lodgings until I can rework the confusion I've gotten myself into and figure out underground rooms for most of my stuff (my original plan is to work a hybrid fort, with some jobs and most military-related tasks on the surface, and everything else underground). Said confusion involves a tunnel I've dug getting in the way of a moat I started channeling, and a perimeter wall likely going to take on an abnormal shape.

On the flip side of things, a dormitory and underground farm have been set up, with an office well on the way, and ambitions to expanding the fortress underground being thrown about in my head.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42362 on: July 12, 2015, 12:13:33 pm »

Just drove the General insane since the merchants can't leave without posing a risk to the fort. The fate of all dwarves (in this civ) rests precariously on my hands now.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42363 on: July 12, 2015, 06:07:25 pm »

After two duds (attempts at bags, which of course turned into chests) the third adamantine clothiery artefact hit the jackpot: three rolls of cloth, leather, two bauxite boulders, some zircon or other, two bars of aluminium annnnnd

"Tatodgúb" the adamantine trousers. It menaces with spikes of aluminium and adamantine and bears an image of our beloved duke admiring his beloved ballista parts.

The upgrade to the grinder makes it slightly less aggravating, but we're still only getting the shitty fake unsieges (~6 goblins, all ranged, and one or two invariably get stuck on the map border). And one of the mobile gobbos still managed to sit one tile from guaranteed death (which he'll eventually calmly walk into by the end of the season) thanks to the idiotic "follow the leader" AI.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42364 on: July 12, 2015, 06:28:35 pm »

Eyyyy, party by the naked dwarf necromancer chick~

I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42365 on: July 12, 2015, 06:59:31 pm »

In early 650, a dwarf proclaimed herself a prophet named "The Living Moon".  She swiftly began rabble-rousing among the farms and workshops of the Buff Trade.  Despite warnings from the Hammerer, she continued proselytizing the word of the Moon.  Shunning the caves, she taught that only the light of the Moon could dispel the evils of the world - the darkness of the undercities was a breeding ground for all sorts of ills.  This blasphemy against the deeps did not go unnoticed - after increasing surveillance and repeated brushes with the law, the Hammerer posted notice... the so-called Living Moon, previously known as As Gidthermosus was banished from all towns of the Buff Trade.

Fleeing under cover of night, she took six disciples from the farmhands who were most devoted to her new worship.  Leaving behind the lands of the Buff Trade, the Glowing Cult founded their new haven... Ilonrath Tamol Ingtak, "Moontemple the Savior of Twilight".  There they would build a great temple to their goddess, the Moon, and achieve salvation.

The first year was hard.  They passed out of the civilized lands, and into the realm of beasts and bandits.  Making their weary way to the swamps at the headwaters of the Rushing Fancy, they knew that the goblins were said to dwell nearby.  Despite the threat, the Living Moon announced that here where the waters came from the earth was where the Moon must have her temple.  The First (for so the followers of the Living Moon now styled themselves) discovered that there were both sand and clay nearby.  Felling the trees, they built a crude hall and shelter.  Over time, others came to help - the Living Moon had impressed many, and though they were not willing to flee with her, they claimed they missed her teachings so much they followed her to her new seat of power (few mentioned the religious and political purges that drove them from the Buff Trade).  Furnaces and kilns were established.

By the second year, the fortress had become a sturdy structure of fired brick - the raw logs of the initial construction were removed, and fed in turn to the voracious furnaces.  Caravans began to appear, trading surreptitiously and fading back into the forests - merchants had no politics but money.  The humans came as well, bringing metals and food and taking away wood, shell and ceramic crafts.  Things were going well.

The night of Midsummer, the devotees stayed up all night, swaying and chanting beneath the full Moon.  When the Moon finally set, the Sun turned the east a glowing crimson.  The Living Moon spoke to her followers, saying "The time has come, my children.  We must give the Moon her temple.  It is time!"

The glass forges glowed night and day.  Green glass blocks were made, more and yet more.  The Moon was to have her temple, and glass was Her medium.  A stepped pyramid of green glass, rising above the forests.  Statues of the Moon's holy stone, the kimberlite of deepest night, would stand watch over the faithful.  Within, the holy of holies would be constructed according to plans revealed only to the Living Moon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Clear glass statues would guard the temple; a clear glass altar would be set before the silver door of the holy of holies... the Door of the Moon.

The night of the great consecration approached.  The disciples spent weeks fasting and praying, growing weak of body but strong of spirit.  The power was building, and the Moon's temple shone like a beacon in the night.  The light of the fires and torches reflected through the green glass and seemed somehow amplified, brighter, and the soft shining light bathed the entire Glowing Cult in its radiance.  The Living Moon began the Long Song, the consecration that would bring down the Moon to the temple and apply the final purification to what her loyal dwarves had struggled so long to build.

Evil does not yield so easily, however.  The darkness struggles always to quench the light, to silence the voice lifted in song, still the praying hands in their motions, extinguish the shining flame of hope.

The animals were restless; they cried out in the darkness.  Something was out there.  Into the torchlight came a horrible beast, the cursed weretiger Smunstu Violenturges.  The followers of the Moon flung themselves at it, desperate to stop it - it slew them without a thought, without mercy.  The First attacked it with whatever came to hand, but nothing made a mark on it... they fell, one by one, their blood staining the plaza of the temple they had labored so long and hard to build.  In the end, the Living Moon was struck down at the moment of her victory.

Deep in the forest, far off the roads, at the headwaters of a river, there is a temple made entirely of glass.  Legends say that on the night of the full Moon, the temple shines again with the light of a thousand torches, and the unquiet ghosts of the Glowing Cult try again and again to re-enact the ceremony of consecration.  If they can only succeed, they will be freed... but success never comes.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #42366 on: July 12, 2015, 08:43:31 pm »

My first time trying an aboveground fortress. Any tips?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #42367 on: July 12, 2015, 08:49:47 pm »

traps.....lots of traps.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #42368 on: July 12, 2015, 09:05:03 pm »

Well, Daggercontrols has been a rousing success for my forts. A low wooden wall temporarily protects the fortess surface, while a 6 z level trench has been constructed around it. Food and drink stocks are low, but the sheer size of the farms (4 10x10 farms) and a bunch of ducks keeps food and drink on the table.

Unfortunately, capybaras have laid siege, first killing a child, then a farmer. In checking the two dwarves, I found out that the child belonged to the farmer, and the one who killed the capybara in vengeance was the wife and mother. The child was their only child.

She has since been granted the title of Grieving Mother, and made a private in the only military squad I have. Death to the Capybara menace!

Earlier, anoter capybara had attacked that same child, and another child beat the ever loving crap out of it. 35 pages of 'The Dwarf Child punches the Capybara in X, bruising/tearing/etc it'. My Militia commander crushed it's skull with his axe after torturing it a little bit.

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42369 on: July 12, 2015, 11:40:46 pm »

6th mood, 6th possession. No legendary skillups. I am sad.
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #42370 on: July 13, 2015, 02:32:19 am »

Wall off the majority of the map, use marksdwarves to kill anything that approaches your unassailable walls. Probably achieveable in the first year with the bounty of wood these days.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42371 on: July 13, 2015, 03:00:25 am »

Liar. Thief. Traitor. Murderer. Vampire. Above all else, however... Champion. My human fort has seen it's first vampire, with an immense kill list. This vampire is truly from the third year of the world, he is 1057 years old, a proficient swordsman, great liar and negotiator, professional judge of intent, an expert knife user, and my new champion. He will be wielding the best the fort has to offer, armour of the finest colossus bronze, three pieces being artifacts including the shield, and wielding the artifact burning steel longsword. He will be allowed to roam free in the fortress, we have multiple legendary smiths and craftsmen of all necessary skills, I do not care if he kills one or two. He will be stationed at the gates at all times, a grim reminder that this fortress will see the life sucked out of you at any misgivings. He will be my personal executioner, when a worker is going against my orders, he will be locked in a room with my champion, and have the life drained from his body.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:02:32 am by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #42372 on: July 13, 2015, 07:39:36 am »

LockeTalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42373 on: July 13, 2015, 10:15:45 am »

Human diplomat just showed up and with the longest "latest news" message I've ever seen. Literally twelve pages long. Apparently a lot has happened in the world in the past three years...

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42374 on: July 13, 2015, 10:37:17 am »

Started up a fort in the old Masterpiece DF. Everything was going good. The dining hall had just been set up and I finally got the entrance bridge set up so I could lock down the fort if need be.

I had ten dwarves already pick out for the first squad when it appeared: a wyvern that spit acid... and could fly. I knew there was no way I could take it on so I scrambled to have all the animals pastured on the entrance stairwell to hopefully soften it up.

I was slaughter from beginning to end. The animals never stood a chance and my squad didnt either. They fell one by one, either melted from a spray of acid or melted from the insude out when the beast bit them. Once it was done with them, the wyvern fly after a moleweasel kit and then after the gaggle of citizens who had fled the fort in terror.

He chased them back and forth several times, always being distracted by the moleweasel long enough for them to put more distance between them.

And then it happened. The dwarven caravan appeared.

I have never been more to see a caravan in my life. The wyvern made a beeline for them and the guards sumarrily beat it to death with their hammers.

The clean up is still ongoing even a year after the attack. We lost one dwarf and a baby to a tantrum. Thank Armok I randomly assigned someone to the psychiatrist position. She prevented the death of three other dwarves that would have went insane instead.

And then everyone kept dropping babies. Every, single, female in the fort. Just baby explosion. Half my fort is compromised of babies now.

My poor psychiatrist though. Her husband managed to survive a direct attack only to watch him go insane in the aftermath. She has a bouncy baby boy to remember him by though. Just in time too, because all the complaints were tanking her mood that had somehow survived her husbands death. She was literally the only happy one at first.

Just... it was sheer insanity. Glorious, glorious insanity.
Pages: 1 ... 2823 2824 [2825] 2826 2827 ... 3842