Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2800 2801 [2802] 2803 2804 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119219 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42015 on: June 22, 2015, 02:07:58 pm »

Basically.

Thought: Capture a necromancer, a breeding pair of salt water and cave crocodiles, position them in a cage near the candy pillar, lock the gate, and let loose the HFS and crocs at the same time, with the necromancer viewing the battle form a distance. Zombie crocs vs the clowns, who wins?

I want to do this, now, with tame crocs. A breeding setup can be created where the hatchlings all get separated from their parents at birth and wait a few years to reach maturity before they get dropped down a long shaft with a necro waiting at the bottom. A buildup of 500+ zombie crocodiles is possible after a few years, given the right setup. Then you just release the HFS and watch the demons struggle against the mindless hordes. Bonus points for installing a magma flooding system beforehand to clean up the mess afterwards.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42016 on: June 22, 2015, 02:14:46 pm »

Speaking from experience, you'll want a way to be able to safely and continually add corpses to the HFS entry chambre, similar to being able to continually add coals to a fire. Eventually all coals must burn out, and new ones be added, lest the fire burn out. Only in this case the fire burning out involves all of your Dwarves dying horribly.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42017 on: June 22, 2015, 04:22:28 pm »

My dwarves have decided to spice up my dining room, by leaving statues and other furniture on the chairs and tables, in a row. Unsure why.
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42018 on: June 22, 2015, 04:26:47 pm »

My dwarves have decided to spice up my dining room, by leaving statues and other furniture on the chairs and tables, in a row. Unsure why.
Party furniture

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42019 on: June 22, 2015, 04:32:37 pm »

I'll check the subjects when I finish testing my drop pit on troglodyte babies.

Nothing like some statues to get a wild party going, I guess.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42020 on: June 22, 2015, 04:33:24 pm »

Possibly, they are trying one of those fad diets, and decided to just start eating statues, instead of biological matter.  Then they had to run off the hospital in a hurry and forgot to clean up their statues.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42021 on: June 22, 2015, 04:37:26 pm »

I'll check the subjects when I finish testing my drop pit on troglodyte babies.

Nothing like some statues to get a wild party going, I guess.
I searched for party statues.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't know what this means, but I hope this helps you in some way on your journey of discovery. Good luck.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42022 on: June 22, 2015, 04:38:41 pm »

Massive group of troglodytes? Ten in total? Only two military dwarves? Okay guys, I'm going to position you right here in their path, as well as place a pair of- WHAT THE HELL!!! My one dwarf picked up his axe, ran through the cavern entrance, and charged straight at the group. From almost 60 tiles away. I never gave the kill order, or any orders, actually. I just unpaused and he ran off to kill. Better keep this guy away from sieges... His only strategy is ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK! Even after having his axe knocked form his hand, he just kept punching skulls in and fighting. It's weird that he won, as ten troglodytes killed a pair of legendary swordsmen in my last fort.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42023 on: June 22, 2015, 04:57:19 pm »

Meanwhile in Dogikozul, where nothing ever happens, the massacre research rehoming initiative is proceeding slowly... but inevitably.

We now know that the trap vehicle we made does not work. We have thus designed a new and different trap vehicle. On an entirely unrelated note, the 4 kobold/gremlin allied terrorists disguised as hairy troglodyte babies roaming the fort are very dangerous, and should be killed at once. Please do not be alarmed.

In other news, the recent tradition of statue partying has just been revealed to the community: on a dining table favoured by the King and nobles, as well as some of the coolest dwarves and best craftsmen around, some plucky and anonymous individuals have piled statues to aid us in the absorbment of vibes:

One of Nguslu Curserhymes, a goblin cleverly disguised as a captured, unarmed and untrained human sent into battle, being killed by our very own Urdim Mirrorsealed, with his fantastically named "Polishdabbled the Tragic Butterfly", an axe! Those goblins just can't stop foolin' around!

One, for the kids, of an 'orrible murder: Old Uno Singhost the Cavernous Doom striking down a dwarf in the Wall of Luring. Lovely stuff, pick your figurine replica up at the trade depot, visitors - this one's a classic!

The last statue is another Uno - Kol Threecraft didn't know what hit him! Actually, he did! He died slowly and painfully, so party on folks, his miserable face will remind you, yes you, how much fun you're having right now, in Dogikozul, the epoch of dwarvern culture.

Meanwhile, even more avante-garde than the dining-room-statue-party-goers who pile mechanisms and coffers on the tables for a real dwarven theme, is the new celeb, Rakust the Herbalist, who just organised one heck of a Blingy do at a gold chain! Prison party mandatory party, folks!

And just one more tiny announcement to conclude this week's Dogikozul fort patriotic broadcast, allminersmilitarypersonnelandleveroperatorstrapusersandanimalhandlerstotheclassifiedsectorandonimmediatestandbynowrehominginitiativeunderway

That's all folks, now go do your patriotic duty and above all, have fun!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42024 on: June 22, 2015, 05:11:00 pm »

I've decided on a cap at 60 dwarves, as I made 48 3x5 tiny tooms, that'll contain a bed, a table, a chair, and a statue. The bed will be wood, obviously, the statue will be stone, the chair metal, and the table metal. I'm thinking silver. That should make them all feel okay about their rooms, right? The other 12 will include the expedition leader/mayor, who will have his own estate outside on the flat ground, separate from the other dwarves. The 10 man military will get their own buildings, 2 room apartments made out of stone blocks on the opposite side of the map as the mayor's manor. This is a 2x2 map with one half being a mountain with a volcano, the other half being a flat savage tropical savanna. It's working out pretty well, but, once again, all my military metal will have to be imported. Well, there is hematite, and I did bring marble at embark... I might be able to make some steel with a bit of mining. I'm thinking bronze for the armour, steel for the weapons. My weaponsmith likes morningstars, so I better get my militia commander training with a silver mace. A burning steel morningstar could probably be quite deadly. My only trading source is the dwarves, too. There's the goblins and sprites nearby, both baby snatchers and eventually will cause problems. Eventually. As it's a 2x2 in a smaller world, the fps is good. Still at 80 with 35 dwarves in the fort. I sure hope this fort survives better than my last volcano fort. Giraffes have wandered through, so I know good military animals come here. I'll trap some, get them training. Some badgers made a problem earlier, but my dogs handled it. I'm slightly optimistic about this fort... So that means everything will go horribly wrong. Don't have any buildings but the trade depot set up yet, not even smelters. Really should get on that.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42025 on: June 22, 2015, 05:13:24 pm »

I just realised that my cook is probably my greatest created wealth booster.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42026 on: June 22, 2015, 05:18:29 pm »

Tell the MasterChef! Mountainhomes!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42027 on: June 22, 2015, 05:24:50 pm »

Aaaaaw f*ck. That fire FB turned up a second time, and my CPU/fort can't handle it. Been burning th midnight oil too, played for nearly an hour, gone. Must remember to save more often, had to savescum months back, shit, now for Deja Vu and boredom, damn.

It's not that it would destroy my fort, fire FBs are easy, but the cavern fires would bring me down to 3FPS, as my laptop is pretty bad. Damn damn damn.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42028 on: June 22, 2015, 05:54:46 pm »

...My beloved weaponsmith just became king. Well. This was unexpected, considering there already was a queen. Maybe she died? Okay... Better get to work on that massive mansion soon.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42029 on: June 22, 2015, 08:25:35 pm »

...They all died... And I killed them... With my own 101 keys...

First went the king. He had served his purpose. He had a fey mood and made a burning steel artifact morningstar. I will be retrieving that in adventure mode soon. Then, a queen came. A made her attack giant turtles, which ripped her apart piece by piece. I drowned everyone in lava when the next king came. Then, only one dwarf was left, and she inherited queen. Supposedly, the last of her kind. So, I made a bridge over the lava, with a floor at the other end. I put a level connected to the bridge on the floor. The queen pulled it, falling into the lava. When I checked legends mode, the only dwarves left in the world are prisoners. What have I done...
Pages: 1 ... 2800 2801 [2802] 2803 2804 ... 3842