Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2801 2802 [2803] 2804 2805 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118837 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42030 on: June 23, 2015, 03:52:26 pm »

So we settled in a rocky wasteland with an aquifer underneath. There were about a dozen saguaros on the surface when we embarked (and a few fruit trees where other biomes encroached). Four years later, there are four hundred.

Over the four years, we lost two dwarfs to werebeast visits - because the idiots (both jewellers) decided to wrestle the creatures. Damnit, handling werebeasts is the job of the militia! Last time, the axelord bit the were-gila monster and shook it around while chopping parts of with his *steel axe*. Although that werecritter had dropped the ball long before - i got a freak combat report out of nowhere about a werebeast mauling a pangolin and just needed to dispatch the militia in the appropriate direction. Nice job announcing your presence.

Three dwarfs got hurt in cave-ins. Worst was a baby girl who ended up with a smashed ankle and foot. After she upgraded to child, she stayed in the hospital for five months, most of the time in traction issuing constant diagnosis requests (probably got an infection somewhere - i don't know for sure because i've taken to not assigning chief medical dwarfs: they're not required for healthcare and i find lacking medical information makes the dwarftional health system more fun). There are four dwarfs with healthcare fully enabled, but usually it ended up with two dwarfs taking turns looking after her. We ended up with one high master, one professional, one proficient and one compentent diagnoser. Not bad.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42031 on: June 24, 2015, 12:28:37 am »

...They all died... And I killed them... With my own 101 keys...

First went the king. He had served his purpose. He had a fey mood and made a burning steel artifact morningstar. I will be retrieving that in adventure mode soon. Then, a queen came. A made her attack giant turtles, which ripped her apart piece by piece. I drowned everyone in lava when the next king came. Then, only one dwarf was left, and she inherited queen. Supposedly, the last of her kind. So, I made a bridge over the lava, with a floor at the other end. I put a level connected to the bridge on the floor. The queen pulled it, falling into the lava. When I checked legends mode, the only dwarves left in the world are prisoners. What have I done...

With the artifact weapon, go on a quest to rescue the last dwarves from their captors and rebuild the once proud and mighty dwarven kingdom.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42032 on: June 24, 2015, 12:32:56 am »

...They all died... And I killed them... With my own 101 keys...

First went the king. He had served his purpose. He had a fey mood and made a burning steel artifact morningstar. I will be retrieving that in adventure mode soon. Then, a queen came. A made her attack giant turtles, which ripped her apart piece by piece. I drowned everyone in lava when the next king came. Then, only one dwarf was left, and she inherited queen. Supposedly, the last of her kind. So, I made a bridge over the lava, with a floor at the other end. I put a level connected to the bridge on the floor. The queen pulled it, falling into the lava. When I checked legends mode, the only dwarves left in the world are prisoners. What have I done...

With the artifact weapon, go on a quest to rescue the last dwarves from their captors and rebuild the once proud and mighty dwarven kingdom.

Ironically, the morningstar has an image of the first king coming to power. Wont the prisoners just love that. Being saved by a dwarf, wielding a weapon forged by their last king, in honour of their first king. Maybe I could make it even better by killing the goblin king with it.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42033 on: June 24, 2015, 09:43:08 am »

Could you by any chance give me the save for that? I kinda wanna do that myself now :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42034 on: June 24, 2015, 11:15:49 am »

Could you by any chance give me the save for that? I kinda wanna do that myself now :P

Does it matter that it's kind of moderately modded? Will the save work if the creatures aren't in your main raws? Just wondering, because my game is full of my own mods.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42035 on: June 24, 2015, 11:25:36 am »

Hrm. Not an expert, but I think as long as the save file has them it's grand.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42036 on: June 24, 2015, 11:30:24 am »

If I get around to DF today, I'll try to upload it for you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42037 on: June 24, 2015, 11:32:00 am »

Thanks! No pressure though - do or don't in your own time.

I just like the idea of being on the cusp of Dwarven extinction. None of my DF worlds have been so. I gen safe :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42038 on: June 24, 2015, 11:46:43 am »

The raws for a given game are now included in the save, itself, under the "raw" folder.  This is specifically to prevent raw mismatch errors.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42039 on: June 24, 2015, 12:04:06 pm »

The first siege of the fort of Spikebodice has been had by the goblins who roughly sent ten of them.  They were met with the dwarves, and succinctly, the goblins were crushed and captured.  Unfortunately, with one of my military dwarves suffering their neck getting smashed to an unrecognizable state, I suspect the battle won't be without cost, given how the dwarf is unable to breathe.  (Writing this siege fight off as Dwarves 10, and goblins 2.  Wished it'd be goblins 0, but I was in copper armor, and the goblins were savvy enough to not just march right into the cage traps with everyone and be conveniently caught like that.)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #42040 on: June 24, 2015, 12:21:40 pm »

Welp, more rail road related death this time it is the elves that are dead. I set up my depot so that the first two rows of it and the area in front of it are trapped so that mine carts carrying giant swords and blades stop and fling their contents through a fortification and into the elves.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42041 on: June 24, 2015, 12:28:31 pm »

I really need to get into minecarts.
One wheel short of a wagon

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #42042 on: June 24, 2015, 12:31:42 pm »

I really need to get into minecarts.
Just be aware that they can crash your game if an unexpended kitty wanders onto the track.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42043 on: June 24, 2015, 12:42:08 pm »

I tried working with minecarts once... Whereas I'm a master of the minecart and redstone systems of Minecraft, I'm only dabbling in the machinery of Dwarf Fortress. I can't even get a millstone working.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42044 on: June 24, 2015, 12:44:25 pm »

I tried working with minecarts once... Whereas I'm a master of the minecart and redstone systems of Minecraft, I'm only dabbling in the machinery of Dwarf Fortress. I can't even get a millstone working.

Even I could minecart a little in minecraft, I still have problems with pressure plates in DF, only recently getting confident with bridges.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 2801 2802 [2803] 2804 2805 ... 3842