Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2776 2777 [2778] 2779 2780 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118030 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41655 on: May 31, 2015, 08:16:21 pm »

The stressed dwarves don't seem to be doing any harm, so I'm going to ignore their issues for the time being. My military of 8 is now capable of tearing through goblin sieges like hot lava through a pack of elves.

The newest problem is diplomats. My Baroness/Mayor/Militia Commander/Champion (yes, she's all four at once) can't seem to get the attention of the Human Law-giver or the Dwarven Outpost Liaison. They're both hanging out in my legendary dining hall, refusing to move up to her office to meet with her.

I un-designated the dining hall, but they still won't budge. Anyone got some idea what to do?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41656 on: May 31, 2015, 08:28:00 pm »

In my first ever fortress, I've been attacked by a weremonkey. He murdered a woodcutter after a tree had been felled. Since the logs were lying out there, my fortress rushed outside to put the logs in a stockpile, right into the weremonkey's arms. An altercation ensued where, somehow, my dwarves overpowered this monkey (after three more died, of course).

Everyone seems to be remarkably okay, though right now my front gate has five different dwarves unable to stand who are bleeding to death since I don't have a hospital. What a lovely sight for traders.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41657 on: May 31, 2015, 08:58:44 pm »

Update on aquifer fort:

After poking around the map more, I have found no way to circumvent the issue of this aquifer. There is no way to get underneath it and breaching it is far too difficult.

As this place is called roughscar, I know what to do. I'm going two things that I have never done before:

1. A semi-above ground challenge meaning no stone, ores(except from trade), or cavern luxuries. This is even more difficult as trees are sparse.

2. A mini-project. Not a mega project because I'm already working with a significant handicap. This place is very close to the Goblins who appear to be taking over Dwarven sites, so I'm going to build a giant "Screw you" tower to the Goblins, set up a 5x5 retractable bridge at the top with cage traps over it full of Goblins that I capture. I will release them from their cages and drop them 10z levels down each onto 10 spears and or spikes. I will build this tower from bronze, and probably make the retractable awning of death out of Iron because we have some magnetite. I'll attempt to get a really nice heavy metal (preferably silver for both weight and looks) as a floor below the spikes. I'm planning to catch 5 Trolls and 20 Goblins and execute them as the fort's final act before retirement.

EDIT: I realize catching all the Gobs will be difficult due to the lack of materials from which to make mechanisms.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:01:01 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41658 on: May 31, 2015, 09:05:10 pm »

The weremonkey had bit one of my guys, so he transformed, but a few of my other dwarves put him down quickly. In the meanwhile the guys bleeding to death outside finally died. This is slowly turning into a disaster.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41659 on: May 31, 2015, 09:12:42 pm »

Update on aquifer fort:

After poking around the map more, I have found no way to circumvent the issue of this aquifer. There is no way to get underneath it and breaching it is far too difficult.

As this place is called roughscar, I know what to do. I'm going two things that I have never done before:

1. A semi-above ground challenge meaning no stone, ores(except from trade), or cavern luxuries. This is even more difficult as trees are sparse.

2. A mini-project. Not a mega project because I'm already working with a significant handicap. This place is very close to the Goblins who appear to be taking over Dwarven sites, so I'm going to build a giant "Screw you" tower to the Goblins, set up a 5x5 retractable bridge at the top with cage traps over it full of Goblins that I capture. I will release them from their cages and drop them 10z levels down each onto 10 spears and or spikes. I will build this tower from bronze, and probably make the retractable awning of death out of Iron because we have some magnetite. I'll attempt to get a really nice heavy metal (preferably silver for both weight and looks) as a floor below the spikes. I'm planning to catch 5 Trolls and 20 Goblins and execute them as the fort's final act before retirement.

EDIT: I realize catching all the Gobs will be difficult due to the lack of materials from which to make mechanisms.

There are suitable methods for breaching an aquifer of any depth. The cave-in method is the most sensible in my mind, since the whole double-slit thing seemed ridiculously difficult. I've never had to tackle a really deep aquifer before, though. How deep is yours?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41660 on: May 31, 2015, 10:21:28 pm »

2-3 z levels that I've discovered. I'm fine staying mostly above ground to challenge myself, though. I was planning the tower anyway, this just makes it more of a challenge and more fun.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41661 on: May 31, 2015, 10:39:54 pm »

I've got a giant olmsplosion and a Rutherersplosion in full swing. Cage traps <3.

Just waiting on a female cave croc, then I can get my first ever crocsplosion. A female jabberer will get me a jabbersplosion. Even if gobbos managed to beat my 8-strong insanely OP military, they'd die to all the animals in here, lol.

Meanwhile, my duchess/champion/mayor/militia commander just annihilated the first forgotten beast to show up here. It was a blob of snow with a tail. The tail now rests comfortably in her throne room.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41662 on: May 31, 2015, 11:49:49 pm »

Right as I finish my first bedrooms and ask for them to be smoothed, my two stone detailers both go on break.

Fucking dwarves. God dammit.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41663 on: May 31, 2015, 11:53:34 pm »

Tragedy has finally struck Riddledfences. Zaneg, one of the original seven, a furnace operator of great renown, has drowned in the middle of a cave-in operation intended to massacre a pile of troglodytes that had been sticking to the cave walls for the last year.

Her lover, our beloved manager Kib, had dreamed of raising a family.

She will be missed.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41664 on: June 01, 2015, 12:10:30 am »

Another weremonkey attacked but I formed an ad-hoc squad and killed it. My broker unfortunately is now bleeding to death at the front gate. Oh well. I still don't have a hospital set up, and now I think it's time to actually make a full-blown military with all these useless peasants who keep showing up.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41665 on: June 01, 2015, 12:28:09 am »

Just trapped my ninth blind cave ogre. I need to build an arena and pit them all against my military.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41666 on: June 01, 2015, 02:23:50 am »

There's a rotting mule corpse in my dining room and NO ONE is taking it to the corpse stockpile. Literally what the fuck.

How do I get my dwarves to take this thing to the stockpile? It has free spaces so it's not like there's nowhere for it to go.

EDIT: Had it dumped for now. Hopefully it wont stink up the place nestled between several billion rocks.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:25:59 am by Chagen46 »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41667 on: June 01, 2015, 04:21:36 am »

For some reason the game rolled me a world that's about 80% Scorching climate. The first fort in it ended with first rain shower as superheated water melted everyone  before I managed to get anything underground.

On second try I got a site with a glorious 24 z-level waterfall; it's time to build the canyon fort I've always wanted to try out.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41668 on: June 01, 2015, 06:41:27 am »

I embarked at a spot once that had a volcano which was right on the border of a mountain biome and forests I think.

The southwest corner was at z 200 something, the northwest was at z 130 or something and the bottom of the tube was open through the caverns and capped itself with obsidian after unpause. I put a river source on the southwest corner with tiletypes so I could turn a volcano into a mist generator.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Neat idea but man the fps hit after a single bat man killed 100+ cavern inhabitants with his wooden spear and they started rotting was just awful.

Oh, found a stonesense shot from part of it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:45:41 am by Max™ »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41669 on: June 01, 2015, 01:04:14 pm »

Well, about a year ago, after the caravan guards slew the Roc that showed up to terrorize my fort before my cage traps could take care of the problem, I entered the Age of the Mountain Titan.

Then said Mountain Titan showed up. A huge quadruped composed of flame, that spat fire and killed two hoary marmots before diving into the volcano and swimming all the way down to the magma sea. He's just chilling down there now. I had hoped my legendary axe lord could get to him before he decided to durdle around somewhere, but it wasn't to be. I now have a resident Mountain Titan in my magma sea. Woohoo.
Pages: 1 ... 2776 2777 [2778] 2779 2780 ... 3842