Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2746 2747 [2748] 2749 2750 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113036 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41205 on: May 05, 2015, 04:39:50 pm »

Zombie Gorlack... nuff said :(

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41206 on: May 05, 2015, 04:42:46 pm »

On a related note, I've given up trying to breed PHM and I'm now trying to breed gorlaks. They are still wild and locked in a room together. I hope they make babies!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41207 on: May 05, 2015, 05:10:33 pm »

On a related note, I've given up trying to breed PHM and I'm now trying to breed gorlaks. They are still wild and locked in a room together. I hope they make babies!
I am fairly confident that wild animals will not breed.  Rather, they simply spawn into existence, regardless of any other of that animal being present.  If you can train them, you can eventually acquire a breeding pair.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41208 on: May 05, 2015, 05:35:11 pm »

I am fairly confident that wild animals will not breed.  Rather, they simply spawn into existence, regardless of any other of that animal being present.  If you can train them, you can eventually acquire a breeding pair.
No, they will breed. It's very hard to see it happen unless they're confined.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41209 on: May 05, 2015, 05:50:23 pm »

I've seen wild trogs give birth many times, but never tame ones. I have a few that should have bred, but haven't. Mod.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41210 on: May 05, 2015, 06:09:32 pm »

Very interesting.  Is this a trait of select critters?  Or could say, captured Unicorns also reproduce in this fashion?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41211 on: May 05, 2015, 06:28:11 pm »

Dralthas give birth to triplets all the time in my caverns. All out of sight.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #41212 on: May 05, 2015, 07:58:28 pm »

Ringscars set up the magma forges. One of the founding miners failed to outrun the magma flood after piercing the volcano. Oh well, sucks to be him.

Hope one of the migrants brings a pick. We're down to one copper pick and one skilled miner. Maybe the dwarf caravan has a pick to buy.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41213 on: May 06, 2015, 02:12:30 am »

My fort now have 41 dorfs, 27 of which are male.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41214 on: May 06, 2015, 07:51:51 am »

I have 25 dwarves and 18 FPS, down from my normal 100 FPS at that count, due to a 400-unit zombie apocalypse in the second cavern, started by a fight between the resident Cave Swallow Men and some visiting Hungry Heads. I'm building a magma pump stack that will flood the cavern and end the lag. I'll be digging out pond zones to obsidianize the cavern entrances. May need either grates or floodgates to protect the water haulers from flaming zombies.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41215 on: May 06, 2015, 08:29:47 am »

The dwarves came for trade, which is awesome because it turns out the fortress has no weapons grade metal, but unlike my Dracon, Dwarves can make mithril.  So much glorious mithril....

Locked up in extremely high quality and expensive CRAFTS.  I should have known better than the dwarves to export their mithril as anything other than overpriced baubles.  I could only afford 2 mithril flutes. I don't think that will come out to even 1 bar.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41216 on: May 06, 2015, 12:40:21 pm »

As of the moment, the fort's holding up fairly well, with the second z-level of castle walls being nearly up, and having gotten a giant peregrine falcon along with a deer and leopard.  A shame no sun berries or male grizzly bear this caravan of elves.  Fortunately, no sighting of goblins, though with 3 artifacts made, it's only a matter of time unfortunately.  Sitting at 48 strong, and looking forward to more migrants.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #41217 on: May 06, 2015, 01:02:27 pm »

Oh man. So a water buffalo from the dwarf caravan got left in a copper cage on the sinister side of the Gory Axe volcano. It starved to death inevitably. Now it reanimated and somehow got loose from the cage and wandered down to the fort entrance. I think it was either caged or a pack animal that got stuck at the map edge.

This thing is a monster unlike any of the past undead wildlife we've had to deal with. It knocked one of the two founding hammerdwarves flying 5 tiles away by goring him in the head. It literally gored his head, the head exploded into gore and left a trail of blood along the militiaman's flight path. It killed the other militiaman just as easily. Then it pulped a couple stupid civilian dwarves who tried to fight it. Then some of the emergency miner militia arrived. Two of them got pulped, then one of them managed to chop two of the buffalo's legs off and cripple it. He and another miner are hacking at it with their pickaxes now. It shouldn't be too much trouble now. Hopefully.

Ringscars lost 6 dwarves, including the only two skilled fighters, in a matter of moments against a huge undead buffalo that has earned the title of Hailclears the Embraced Alchemy. There's only 9 dwarves left. Smells like Dorf fortress.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, the buffalo still has fight in it. It grabbed a miner with its leg, then bit his foot and tore it off. The other miner that was fighting it has become overwhelmed with terror and is curled up on the ground 3 tiles away.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:06:40 pm by Spehss _ »
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41218 on: May 06, 2015, 01:11:51 pm »

Oh man. So a water buffalo from the dwarf caravan got left in a copper cage on the sinister side of the Gory Axe volcano. It starved to death inevitably. Now it reanimated and somehow got loose from the cage and wandered down to the fort entrance. I think it was either caged or a pack animal that got stuck at the map edge.

This thing is a monster unlike any of the past undead wildlife we've had to deal with. It knocked one of the two founding hammerdwarves flying 5 tiles away by goring him in the head. It literally gored his head, the head exploded into gore and left a trail of blood along the militiaman's flight path. It killed the other militiaman just as easily. Then it pulped a couple stupid civilian dwarves who tried to fight it. Then some of the emergency miner militia arrived. Two of them got pulped, then one of them managed to chop two of the buffalo's legs off and cripple it. He and another miner are hacking at it with their pickaxes now. It shouldn't be too much trouble now. Hopefully.

Ringscars lost 6 dwarves, including the only two skilled fighters, in a matter of moments against a huge undead buffalo that has earned the title of Hailclears the Embraced Alchemy. There's only 9 dwarves left. Smells like Dorf fortress.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, the buffalo still has fight in it. It grabbed a miner with its leg, then bit his foot and tore it off. The other miner that was fighting it has become overwhelmed with terror and is curled up on the ground 3 tiles away.
I feel your pain :(  Thankfully not their pain, though.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #41219 on: May 06, 2015, 01:20:23 pm »

The undead water buffalo cannot be stopped. It killed all of the miners. It's killed 11 dwarves now. And a war dog. And a wild rhinoceros. Despite being crippled with only two legs left out of four, it's wrestling, biting, headbutting, throwing, it's a death machine.

How does an undead water buffalo grab a dwarf by the back teeth with its rear right leg and throw them? Answer: It hates the living just that much.
Pages: 1 ... 2746 2747 [2748] 2749 2750 ... 3842